• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Halo iOS theme continues. These damn apps with their hard-to-guess preference names/icons are annoying the hell out of me. I don't wan to have to brute-force replace the icons in the app, but I might have to. Going with a more Halo 2 style for the wallpaper, front icons prolly still need more pizazz.
p3wmJ3n.jpg

What tweak Are you using for the Rings in the Wifi?

MLG v2 is out?
He's been talking on twitter about settings.

Fotos

Halo iOS theme continues. These damn apps with their hard-to-guess preference names/icons are annoying the hell out of me. I don't wan to have to brute-force replace the icons in the app, but I might have to. Going with a more Halo 2 style for the wallpaper, front icons prolly still need more pizazz.
p3wmJ3n.jpg

That looks sick but I hate when some of the apps are changed but some look the same. Would it be possible to have that little indent on the bottom of all the apps?

I hope Team Throwdown is good, and I look forward to it, but I don't see it bringing back much of an audience.

do people really think that this is going to bring in more players? do people really still believe that? People need to realize that the shrinking community isn't due to the quality of the game as much as it is the rising popularity of other shooters (like COD, not to throw that name around or anything). I know people on this forum care about the super competitive side of Halo, but you do realize that you're only one small part of a huge community of gamers, right? I'm not trying to say that anyone here is right or wrong, I'm just trying to be realistic. I know people around here think differently, but Halo 4's a well made game and it's definitely not "bad enough" to make hundreds of thousands of people never want to play again. They've just found something new that they like better, and I think that even if the game played like Halo 2 we'd still be in this "population crisis."

^I think everyone here knows and/or at least can accept that. Realistically, we all know those numbers aren't going to skyrocket lol

The only thing that can do that is Combat Evolved 2. That's how you'll get way more Halo fans interested again. Not with a 5 next to it.

heckfu

Banned
do people really think that this is going to bring in more players? do people really still believe that? People need to realize that the shrinking community isn't due to the quality of the game as much as it is the rising popularity of other shooters (like COD, not to throw that name around or anything). I know people on this forum care about the super competitive side of Halo, but you do realize that you're only one small part of a huge community of gamers, right? I'm not trying to say that anyone here is right or wrong, I'm just trying to be realistic. I know people around here think differently, but Halo 4's a well made game and it's definitely not "bad enough" to make hundreds of thousands of people never want to play again. They've just found something new that they like better, and I think that even if the game played like Halo 2 we'd still be in this "population crisis."

Oh well, time to pack it up guys! Nothing we can do now. Might as well just lay down and wait for the lights on the servers to dim and cry because Halo finally died.

Fuchsdh

What tweak Are you using for the Rings in the Wifi?

He's been talking on twitter about settings.

That's actually part of Mid7night's excellent Bungie theme--you can download and apply it now if you want. I'm not sure if I'll change it or not (maybe the Auntie Dot signal strength), but I really like the rings so I'll prolly keep it in my theme.

That looks sick but I hate when some of the apps are changed but some look the same. Would it be possible to have that little indent on the bottom of all the apps?

Working on it. To get an app to theme properly, you need to know the exact name of its publisher, the app, and what it calls the app icon inside the app--usually icon@2x.png, but sometimes it's Icon@2x.png or anything else random. Sometimes the app name and publisher name don't match up too, so it's a bit of trial and error. I'm trying to figure out how to automatically theme everything, since otherwise it's a lot of work for people to manually replace their icons (and it gets obliterated with an app update.) It'll take some time.

The design philosophy of Halo 4 was to Ignore the last 3 games and continue the genericification of the game that started at Reach.

Competitive Players know more about Halo than the Casuals that would drop it when another game comes out. so why try to appeal to the casuals when the Comp community is the blood that keeps halo going?

Kind of but wrong, look at the first week. Players werent retained because the game is bad. Everyday you have someone here get all mad and post a rant about how much the game sucks. It sucks. It has shitty weapons, shitty weaponplay, shitty netcode, shitty maps, shitty settings, and its buggy as fuck, plus we dont even have all the features from the previous Halo!

Why would people play that game?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've never understood the "Halo's just not popular anymore" idea. How many millions did Halo 4 sell? How many people played the first few days? I don't think it's a matter of Halo's fall from popularity at all. Sales numbers are as strong as they've ever been. There were what, 300-400k players during launch week?

edit: Juice'd

Kuroyume

Banned

The game (unless I'm mistaken) is the best selling Halo title to date. And yet the population playing the multiplayer is tiny relative to how many purchased the game. People probably buy the games expecting/hoping for something as fun as the first few games and instead they get something else.

The sad part is I just wanted some Halo last time I tried this game. The entire night I dont think I had a single battle it was always like a combination of being shitty spawned on or power weaponed or AA'd to the point the games a fucking gimmick. Its not Halo, Halo you shoot each other and the better player wins. You dont even have that anymore. The games a total shitshow.

I hope youzzz kidding yourselves if you think Halo 4 doesn't have the best weapon sandbox since Halo 1..

Complaint one: Too many one hit weapons trying to make the game CoD. Means battles are shorter and less interesting.

Complaint two: It has a sniper rifle that lets you get a one shot kill anywhere.

Complaint three: It has a handheld shotgun you spawn with.

Complaint four: The DMR/BR/Carbine are not even closed to being balanced.

Complaint five: Incineration cannon is a joke you can be blind and still get triple kills with that thing, plus its reload is way too fast

Complaint six: Sniper rifle is like impossibly easy especially after you remove flinch since you dont get unscoped...

Every other weapon is a joke, supressor? really? Needler is super fast kill to balance, but it lost what makes it awesome, getting a load into someone and exploding.

If you think its the best weapon sandbox thats fine, thats your opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

On top of all this you can get these weapons dropped in front of you RANDOMLY! For no reason!

DeadNames

Banned
I hope youzzz kidding yourselves if you think Halo 4 doesn't have the best weapon sandbox since Halo 1..

I agree. I really do like the sandbox.

The game would just be a lot better if there were weapons on map. The boltshot wouldn't be as overpowered.

I LOVE the SAW, the railgun, and the sticky det. Great weapons. Except the railgun only works half the time.

DeadNames

Banned
So basically, the root of this game's problems are ordnance and loadouts.

Oh wait, those are the things keeping this game from being at least worthy of being called 'Halo'.

I hate how inconsistent some of the weapons are in Halo 4.

I do too. I want to love the railgun, but it's hard when I barely damage their shields when they can one shot me from a long way away... :(

Dirtbag

So basically, the root of this game's problems are ordnance and loadouts.

Oh wait, those are the things keeping this game from being at least worthy of being called 'Halo'.
And perks but I guess that could fall under load outs. Flinch

Sandbox balance is whacked.
DMR range vs strafing speed and the rest of the weapons is off

They look and feel unique, what's the problem? That they're GOOD? You guys disappoint me.. Do you really want a watered down weapon sandbox like Halo 2, 3 and Reach?
They sure are unique.
The Boltshot's so unique it's a shotgun you can spawn with with a longer range than the actual shotgun.
The BiRi's so unique I can get a 1HK by shooting someone in the pinkie.
The Incineration Cannon is the Rocket Launcher with Frag-dispensing rounds.
The DMR is a mini-sniper that you can spawn with.

You fail to see the distinction between "good" and "so insanely OP whoever designed the weapon needs to be shot with it a billion times in Matchmaking on spawn".

What is wrong with the Incineration Cannon and AR? The AR is actually useful. The Incineration Cannon isn't much different than rockets.

When the AR outduels the SAW, you have a problem.

Havok

They look and feel unique, what's the problem? That they're GOOD? You guys disappoint me.. Do you really want a watered down weapon sandbox like Halo 2, 3 and Reach?
Yeah dude, when someone hits me in the toe with a Binary Rifle and I die even though I had full shields, I just smile and think "Boy, what a GOOD weapon. I'm glad it's so unique."

When someone sits around a corner with their Boltshot at the ready and then instantly wastes anyone that comes through the door, I take solace in knowing that hey, at least the sandbox isn't watered down!

I hate how inconsistent some of the weapons are in Halo 4.

Alright, now I know I'm not crazy. There have been plenty of times where I use the railgun and I miss the player and it still registers as hitting him. I come closer, yet it misses him by inches. Went to theater for each of these occasions like 5 times and they never match. It's a good weapon but it seems to have the same flaws as the Gravity Hammer, just less noticeable.

HTupolev

Halo 4's sandbox includes a bunch of weird nonsense that doesn't feel like it belongs, and the sandbox in general doesn't mesh at all with things like the movement characteristics. For instance, we have BTB map games with aim assist cranked up to 12 and almost no mitigation of rifle effectiveness over a distance, and we get to deal with this while using a movement system that's if anything more sluggish than Reach's thanks to the sprint slowdown when shot.

If anything, Halo 4 has the worst sandbox in the series. There's very little cohesion between the bits and pieces of the design.

DeadNames

Banned
And perks but I guess that could fall under load outs. Flinch

Sandbox balance is whacked.
DMR range vs strafing speed and the rest of the weapons is off

Yeah when I meant loadouts I meant perks, AAs, the DMR, etc.

The game would be a lot better if people spawned AR or BR/magnum and picked things off the ground (AAs, the DMR, powerweapons, etc).

Flinch is a whole different thing. To be honest I don't really care that it's on the rifles (although I'd like it gone). It's the fact that it's on snipers is what really gets me.

Complaint one: Too many one hit weapons trying to make the game CoD. Means battles are shorter and less interesting.

"Trying to make the game CoD with one hit kill weapons." That's just silly..

Complaint two: It has a sniper rifle that lets you get a one shot kill anywhere.

First time in Halo's sandbox. It's a fun weapon, you're problem with it is it being in MM.

Complaint three: It has a handheld shotgun you spawn with.

That's the problem, not the weapon.

Complaint four: The DMR/BR/Carbine are not even closed to being balanced.

Hyperbole. Simple tweaks would fix them. The DMR isn't autowin over the BR either.. Let's not forget about the still-shitty bloom AMIRITE?! -high five 343-
:'[

Complaint five: Incineration cannon is a joke you can be blind and still get triple kills with that thing, plus its reload is way too fast

Weapon is hot son. Shooting it off ceilings to hit people you wouldn't be able to with any other weapon other than a Grenade Launcher
RIP
is fun. Maybe it should only have 2 shots.

Complaint six: Sniper rifle is like impossibly easy especially after you remove flinch since you dont get unscoped...

Game-wide mechanic, not exclusive to the Sniper. The problem isn't with the actual weapon, it's with the design of the game IMO. This can be an argument of semantics so w.e

Every other weapon is a joke, supressor? really? Needler is super fast kill to balance, but it lost what makes it awesome, getting a load into someone and exploding.

Needler is actually.. kinda useful.. Suppressor replaces the SMG, so why give Halo 4 shit when at least the Suppressor feels more unique in the sandbox?

If you think its the best weapon sandbox since Halo 2 thats fine, thats your opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

Fixed* and

jlaw-okay.gif

Not Halo 3.

Actually yeah, I'd say H4's sandbox is the best since Halo 2.

Your counter points kind of stink... I think I remain in the winning seat. Yea re-reading them, most of them are like "yea this wouldnt suck if they did it right!" guess what? they did em wrong.

Dirtbag

To me a good sandbox would imply that I use other weapons. I only drop DMR/Boltshit for sniper/incineration/rockets/rail. Everything else is dead to me

So we have to Download the Spartan Ops missions. The CGI episodes are streamed. right

so why cant we play the missions offline? i mean we had to download them and they are sitting on our HDD's or W/e.

I understand that the Episodes are streamed so we cant watch them offline.

Like the dual-firing for the light rifle? Pointless?
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Don't forget the plasma Pistol

They sure are unique.
The Boltshot's so unique it's a shotgun you can spawn with with a longer range than the actual shotgun.
The BiRi's so unique I can get a 1HK by shooting someone in the pinkie.
The Incineration Cannon is the Rocket Launcher with Frag-dispensing rounds.
The DMR is a mini-sniper that you can spawn with.

You fail to see the distinction between "good" and "so insanely OP whoever designed the weapon needs to be shot with it a billion times in Matchmaking on spawn".

When the AR outduels the SAW, you have a problem.

When does an AR outduel the SAW? When the saw user can't aim?

Not Halo 3.

Halo "SMGs and ARs don't fill the same niche" 3.

To me a good sandbox would imply that I use other weapons. I only drop DMR/Boltshit for sniper/incineration/rockets/rail. Everything else is dead to me

You dropped a Pistol in H1 or a BR in Halo 2/3 or a DMR in Reach? :b

Hate on the shit that needs to be hated on. Karl's avatar for example.

Havok

First time in Halo's sandbox. It's a fun weapon, you're problem with it is it being in MM.

That's the problem, not the weapon.

Game-wide mechanic, not exclusive to the Sniper. The problem isn't with the actual weapon, it's with the design of the game IMO. This can be an argument of semantics so w.e
All three of these share one flaw: If the weapon you're designing isn't fit for the multiplayer environment in which 99.9% of the players will be seeing it (matchmaking!), then why are you designing it that way in the first place? It is not unfair to place blame on an element that does not fit that environment instead of saying "well, if this huge, key structural element were changed it'd be fine!" That's not how it works.

Yes, sure, the Boltshot wouldn't be as bad if it weren't available on spawn. But it is, and that's probably not going to change. This is the environment in mind when the thing was designed, and it doesn't fit.

Top Bottom