• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Ghazi

The SAW is so inconsistent for me, sometimes I get super fast kills with it and sometimes I get some weirdly long kill times. I find that burst firing seems to work much better than just holding the trigger down.

Fuchsdh

To me a good sandbox would imply that I use other weapons. I only drop DMR/Boltshit for sniper/incineration/rockets/rail. Everything else is dead to me

To me a good sandbox is one where every weapon has its niche, and I can get kills with every weapon. For the most part, Halo 4 succeeds pretty spectacularly in the latter; even the pistol is a pretty effective tool for me, so much that for CQC objective games I can roll with an AR/human pistol and rack up kills. On the other hand, the DMR/BR/LR/Carbine overlap is pretty ridiculous (I'd rather they have left the DMR with Reach and turned the LR into something a bit more unique), and while the new Promethean weapons are fun, they aren't filling any new roles.

All three of these share one flaw: If the weapon you're designing isn't fit for the multiplayer environment in which 99.9% of the players will be seeing it (matchmaking!), then why are you designing it that way in the first place? It is not unfair to place blame on an element that does not fit that environment instead of saying "well, if this huge, key structural element were changed it'd be fine!" That's not how it works.

Yeah for those it was kind of iffy since you can and in probably most cases should realistically judge them in the context they're in, but I refuse to shit on Halo 4's sandbox after the crap we had in Halo 3/Reach....

....which a lot of people seem to praise ironically

Multiplayer weapon sandbox order IMO:

1. Halo 1
  2. Halo 4
  3. Halo 2
  4. Halo Reach
  5. Halo 3

DeadNames

Banned
Yeah for those it was kind of iffy since you can and in probably most cases should realistically judge them in the context they're in, but I refuse to shit on Halo 4's sandbox after the crap we had in Halo 3/Reach....

....which a lot of people seem to praise ironically

That Plasma rifle and Spiker!

I still liked them :(

I don't think a lot of the primary weapons are redundant. I just don't believe they are useful at my skill level. Having the option to spawn with an inferior, automatic weapon really isn't an issue for me but I know there is a multitude of people who rely somewhat on having a safety weapon to go to.

Not everyone can use the DMR or BR after all.

Karl2177

I don't think a lot of the primary weapons are redundant. I just don't believe they are useful at my skill level. Having the option to spawn with an inferior, automatic weapon really isn't an issue for me but I know there is a multitude of people who rely somewhat on having a safety weapon to go to.

Not everyone can use the DMR or BR after all.

So Battle Rifle/Carbine/Light Rifle/Designated Marksman Rifle is all fine and dandy? Or maybe the Suppressor/Assault Rifle/Storm Rifle is all cool too.

Fotos

So I was watching Ninja's stream and my Grandma walked over and looked at my screen while it was in the pre game lobby. She asked me if I was playing cards. Is this what 343 wanted?

wwm0nkey

So I was watching Ninja's stream and my Grandma walked over and looked at my screen while it was in the pre game lobby. She asked me if I was playing cards. Is this what 343 wanted?

I was in a pre-game lobby and my mom asked "when did they make a Halo card game?"

so yeah I guess that is what the UI team at 343 wanted.

So Battle Rifle/Carbine/Light Rifle/Designated Marksman Rifle is all fine and dandy? Or maybe the Suppressor/Assault Rifle/Storm Rifle is all cool too.

Well yeah. The BR is a step below DMR but it is a step that a lot of players can't make. The Light Rifle has a nuance to it and certainly isn't as accessible as the BR. Carbine feels like an odd niche for trigger happy folks. I know I tend to hammer that trigger when I have it.

As for the automatics, there are differences with kill times and distances right? marginal ones perhaps but ones that potentially allow different players to feel their groove with one.

On the other hand, you have to look at the very intentional path 343 took to investing players in the game. Having your own Spartan is largely an aesthetic manner. Sure, in Reach, you could list similar complaints about redundant armour pieces. But if I feel different to you because of said pieces, don't they now serve a very real purpose?

Having overlapping guns in the sandbox with very slight tweaks is ok in my books because they help shape players identities as it were. If it doesn't matter which rifle I use, couldn't I just pick the one I think looks coolest?

These priorities drop off for players who focus mainly on the core game for sure but there are plenty of players who enjoy a variety of customization options for their style of play and appearance of their Spartan. Some players just like having that carrot on a stick.

Cutting the seemingly redundant sandbox items reduces the pool of rewards players can look towards as well as the variety needed to further separate your Spartan from others. These are two very solid design decisions made by 343. Gameplay is one part of the equation.

Ghazi

I hope the TU removes the "sitrec" feature completely, that'd be nice. Hopefully they at least have it off in Team Throwdown.

So we have to Download the Spartan Ops missions. The CGI episodes are streamed. right

so why cant we play the missions offline? i mean we had to download them and they are sitting on our HDD's or W/e.

I understand that the Episodes are streamed so we cant watch them offline.

Don't forget the plasma Pistol

Most likely Microsoft and 343 messing around with figuring out how to price episodic content. If we do see it more in the future, I imagine it could be tied in with the Xbox Live gold sub.

/wishfulthinking

Against Sony, the value proposition of Gold is declining pretty drastically.

blamite

I hope the TU removes the "sitrec" feature completely, that'd be nice. Hopefully they at least have it off in Team Throwdown.

I hate that in game modes with instant respawn there's no way to get to the classic corpse-cam since the only button for closing the sitrec is also the button to respawn. :/

Computron

Is the bulletin out yet?

oh.

Get ready for the "Is Halo 4 good yet?" gif.

i5JhtsXIXXck9.gif

Ghazi

Play splitscreen and it will never appear, ever.
I'd never subject myself to that torture.

Not gonna lie, I wish they'd fix the final killcams. They are fun to watch, and I've gotten some awesome final kills.
I wouldn't mind if it actually worked smoothly
I definitely wouldn't mind them if they showed accurate information, all they feel like right now is a waste of time. If they did work it'd be cool seeing some of the crazy kills people have gotten on me. Final Killcams don't feel Halo-y at all, I'm happy that they took those out.

I hate that in game modes with instant respawn there's no way to get to the classic corpse-cam since the only button for closing the sitrec is also the button to respawn. :/

Yeah, it's even more annoying when I start to impulse turn the right stick in the direction I got killed in only to see the sitrec come up.

Story wise, I want a Season 2. Gameplay wise, I won't pay for content. I could honestly just wait for the episodes to be on YouTube.

But I am a fool. I will complain, yet I will pay, for I have no strong will and too much hope. I'm like the guys who complain about the $15 CoD DLC while waiting for midnight for them to be released. Release me from this prison, 343.

FYC

Banned
I just beat the Halo CE for the first time. What an awesome game.

Let's hope this old disc cleaner I dug up can fix Halo 2, then I'll start that tomorrow!

m23

Oh god this.

Doubles would be a LOT more playable.

It's really tough keeping track of my team mates in the game. It used to be easy to know where and when your team mates were shooting or being shot at, no more of that. I really miss these small things.

DeadNames

Banned
It's really tough keeping track of my team mates in the game. It used to be easy to know where and when your team mates were shooting or being shot at, no more of that. I really miss these small things.

I can tell if my teammate is in combat, but it's hard. The thing flashes blue/purple. I still miss the yellow/orange markers though. They really helped in Reach.

Karl2177

Well yeah. The BR is a step below DMR but it is a step that a lot of players can't make. The Light Rifle has a nuance to it and certainly isn't as accessible as the BR. Carbine feels like an odd niche for trigger happy folks. I know I tend to hammer that trigger when I have it.

As for the automatics, there are differences with kill times and distances right? marginal ones perhaps but ones that potentially allow different players to feel their groove with one.

On the other hand, you have to look at the very intentional path 343 took to investing players in the game. Having your own Spartan is largely an aesthetic manner. Sure, in Reach, you could list similar complaints about redundant armour pieces. But if I feel different to you because of said pieces, don't they now serve a very real purpose?

Having overlapping guns in the sandbox with very slight tweaks is ok in my books because they help shape players identities as it were. If it doesn't matter which rifle I use, couldn't I just pick the one I think looks coolest?

These priorities drop off for players who focus mainly on the core game for sure but there are plenty of players who enjoy a variety of customization options for their style of play and appearance of their Spartan. Some players just like having that carrot on a stick.

Cutting the seemingly redundant sandbox items reduces the pool of rewards players can look towards as well as the variety needed to further separate your Spartan from others. These are two very solid design decisions made by 343. Gameplay is one part of the equation.

So essentially ignoring how the previous games in the series worked and going straight for the carrot on a stick method to keep people interested until level 50.

I will say it was a direct way to copy CoD. It just doesn't work in Halo. There aren't enough unique attributes to the guns to really separate them from each other or there is one gun that performs a lot better than the other ones.

The way Halo 4 unlocks weapons, AAs and perks is also a flawed system. People want to reach the end goal. To do so, they will do whatever is most effective. You see it in almost every game. I mean, you could look at all of the people that complain that the only way to go through a Halo game is to use Plasma Pistol + main precision weapon. They ignore other potential elements of the sandbox, because one way is more effective than the rest. People do that in the online environment as well.

You'll notice that people use a weapon because they prefer it, they use it because there is a piece of progression tied to it. Just ask your brother why he used the AR for so long. It's not because he liked it, it's because he was trying to unlock the UNSC Loadout Mastery commendation.

Mix

Dude, I haven't been this excited for a game since Halo Reach... Damn was that hype misplaced.

Don't let me down again, Bungie.
Please?

CEA Legendary All Skulls On.

Definitely this. I want to get my girlfriend to play some CE. She told me that her friend tried to get her to play it once but he didn't help her and she just kept dying so she automatically hated it.

willow ve

Some Title Update talk - at the very bottom of the bulletin.

• Reduced the range of the Boltshot’s damage scaling over distance. The previous effective range for 1-hit kills was 20'-25'. The range has been reduced to 15'.
• Fixed an issue that did not allow players to create respawn timers or disable instant respawn in custom games.
• Fixed issues with friendly fire against vehicles. If FF is disabled, damage / EMPs from friendly sources will no longer damage vehicles that are fully controlled by your team.

Top Bottom