• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Blueblur1

Earlier today Bungie's David Candland linked to an old article he wrote for Adobe regarding Macromedia Director and his experience working with it. Really interesting read. I enjoyed this tidbit:

Article link: http://web.archive.org/web/20100604020121/http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/articles/halo_ui.html

I'd like to think that in Halo 4's case sticking to the convention would have been smarter. Regardless, maybe the Halo 4 UI designers should read it. ;)
Ignore this. The article doesn't really touch on design theory as much as I thought it would. I should have read the whole piece instead of linking to it hastily. My bad.

kylej

Banned
I would also highly recommend going to a proper nitro drag race (NHRA, etc) for my American brothers. Even if you don't like cars it will still blow your mind. It's kind of hard to explain, but the vibrations and sounds of the cars starting off the line will do some crazy things with your body, you can feel pressure in your bones when they launch. It's almost like the Reapers from Mass Effect come to life. Imagine the loudest concert you've ever been to, quadruple that, add in a strong smell of nitromethane, and imagine you're 6 beers in, sitting 50 feet away from the starting line on a warm summer day. It's unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unttBdZgRkM&t=2m4s

I would also highly recommend going to a proper nitro drag race (NHRA, etc) for my American brothers. Even if you don't like cars it will still blow your mind. It's kind of hard to explain, but the vibrations and sounds of the cars starting off the line will do some crazy things with your body, you can feel pressure in your bones when they launch. It's almost like the Reapers from Mass Effect come to life. Imagine the loudest concert you've ever been to, quadruple that, add in a strong smell of nitromethane, and imagine you're 6 beers in, sitting 50 feet away from the starting line on a warm summer day. It's unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unttBdZgRkM&t=2m4s

That sounds exactly like what I want to do.

Yeah, I figured, that's why I needed to pull up the Halocharts page for it to get that specific. Tuesday was a bit lower than today or Monday but even then peaked at over 2.5x the end-of-life peak Oddball population.

Interestingly, CTF has been dropping since Monday. It sat pretty comfortably between 4.5 and 6k at peak when there weren't challenges, but it's been down below 3.5k all week. Either folks aren't in love with Infinity CTF (a real shock) or Objective ate into that population (less likely, since it was doing fine when 2/3rds of those gametypes had their own playlists). No idea how it'll hold up long-term, but a three-day trend is a start.

I really hope Infinity CTF ends up being the culprit, because that monstrosity needs to go as soon as possible.

It's a shame they had to roll out the per-map flag reset times alongside infinity ctf. That first proper game of infinity ctf was up there with the worst I've ever played in Halo in terms of intended developer vision (as opposed to quitters/standbyers/team killers/lag ruining a match). Possibly the worst. ICTF on Relay, opposing team using Camo, Boltshot... go one flag up then camp near their flag to get additional FLAG DEFENSE ordnance boosters... sniper, beam rifle, binary rifle and fuel rod cannon... my ordnance offered needlers, concussion rifles and grenades.

That sort of experience will not have been unique to myself. Thing is, while I describe it on a forum most players will quit halfway through the match and then not touch the playlist again and then we'll probably have posters on here in 18 months time justifying the complete removal of objective gametypes in Halo by saying "yeah but the players are voting with their feet and kids just don't want to play CTF anymore".

How long till bulletin?

I'm wrecked but I want to stay up if we are getting TU news and a Trailer.

They usually drop about 5 am UK time, better crack out the red bull.

Please de-wolf yourself.

The wolf pack has spoken.

IXgKH.gif

Striker

Team Haven Oddball for me so far... :/

Much better without instant respawn, though!

Edit: yeah... Haven Oddball 4 games in a row now...
There's not much in there. Oddball on anything but Haven (even that's iffy in times) is pretty awful. Abandon/Complex/Adrift Oddball? No thanks. King on some isn't nearly as bad.

There's not much in there. Oddball on anything but Haven (even that's iffy in times) is pretty awful. Abandon/Complex/Adrift Oddball? No thanks. King on some isn't nearly as bad.

Make that 5 games in a row. This new map pack can't come soon enough. Team Objective and it's 5 of the same game in a row for me... I'd love for there to be a caveat added to matchmaking that says, "Hey! This guy has played the same exact map and gametype combination 3 times in a row now? Let's mix it up and not have that in the voting options in first place where it can be forced over and over again!"

Hang on a minute, don't you remember when teeming hordes of posters from the community were demanding that reticle flinch be added to Halo? That was democratic; an overwhelming majority of the community felt that flinch was something that was missing from Halo and so 343 gave the Halo fans what they wanted.

Can't speak for Mon and Tues but today probably saw a boost because of an Oddball daily challenge.

So what you're saying is the community doesn't know what it wants and 343 definitely shouldn't listen to it.

Thanks Obama.

Edit: In for a 6th game of Haven Oddball. I quit. Good try though!

Edit 2: Then I searched for a new game, puts me into Haven Oddball right at the very last second of the game. Game ends before I even spawn.

Edit 3: Search for a new game, game puts me into a Solace KOTH RIGHT at the very last second, just like before. My team loses. Hilarious... You can't make this shit up lol

Speaking of bans, have we figured out how the betrayal bans work in Halo 4 yet? The definitely got rid of the one betrayal boot option, which is good, but that's all I know.

But this community definitely knows what best for Halo and 343 should listen to this particular sub community?

I'm really sure what particular point I'm trying to make with this argument though.

HaloGAF? Fuck no, they dont know anything about Halo. Well, the majority.

Team Throwdown is the new competitive playlist?

Only if people come up with a bunch of stuff to put on it. I'm not sober.

Shout-out to random Halo community | IGN Interview | Spartan Ops Gallery of Old News | Infinity added to another playlist | BK Tips and Tricks
Majestic DLC Concept Art | Majestic Screenshots | Majestic Hints | Soon(TM) | Majestic Hint to Get People Hyped
Still no TU Statistics | TU Modifies Armor Abilities | <3 bsangel | Mister Chief Awakens | Name-drops a Spartan Ops character
We love Bungie! Good luck on Destiny! | Frankie stops by | RoosterTeeth Interview | Random 343 Employee Pic | Bulletin Drops Thursday
Playlist Changes Incoming | As Explained by Bravo | HaloGAF Reference | Dongs or Teamkills Mentoined | Use of an Internet Macro

Ghazi

Shout-out to random Halo community | IGN Interview | Spartan Ops Gallery of Old News | Infinity added to another playlist | BK Tips and Tricks
Majestic DLC Concept Art | Majestic Screenshots | Majestic Hints | Soon(TM) | Majestic Hint to Get People Hyped
Still no TU Statistics | TU Modifies Armor Abilities | <3 bsangel | Mister Chief Awakens | Name-drops a Spartan Ops character
We love Bungie! Good luck on Destiny! | Frankie stops by | RoosterTeeth Interview | Random 343 Employee Pic | Bulletin Drops Thursday
Playlist Changes Incoming | As Explained by Bravo | HaloGAF Reference | Dongs or Teamkills Mentoined | Use of an Internet Macro

Where are the Doritos?

But this community definitely knows what best for Halo and 343 should listen to this particular sub community?

I'm really sure what particular point I'm trying to make with this argument though.

Rather have people here or on THC (who know what they're talking about) than the kids who don't understanad anything about the game on waypoint and bitch about things like DMR being OP when all other rifles are really UP

343 employee interview | Some guy who post too much on Waypoint interview so people can feel 343 has a connection with them | Majestic Map Pack trailer (I'm feeling hopeful) | 343 is working real hard right now. I wish we can tell you what it is. | Microsoft is forcing us to write something good about Virgin Wireless.

Karl2177

Only if people come up with a bunch of stuff to put on it. I'm not sober.

1. SpOps E8 review
2. SpOps E10 preview
3. Forge shit
4. TU info soon (TM)
5. Majestic info soon (TM)
6. Story about something that happened in the studio
7. Interview
8. Halo 2 Vista goes on until June
9. Halo trilogy to Steam
10. Excited for our friends at Bungie
11. Getting rid of Crimson DLC list
12. Halo 3 and Reach update
13. File Share update
14. Halo 4 Games on Demand
15. Campers part 2
16. "I'm mediocre at Halo"
17. Halo 3: ODST to go offline in 30 days
18. Tease at something completely meaningless
19. Team Throwdown details
20. Announcing Team Throwup to replace all Infinity modes
21. Explaining why the Hammer appears in Halo 4 despite having no Brutes
22. Sparth concept art
23. Bravo laughing uncontrollably part 2
24. Admitting that Spartan Ops was the worst addition to the series
25. <3 bs angel

kylej

Banned
There are like 7 people who still play the first map pack. And they gave it away for free. I'm gonna laugh if they hype up and pretend that the next map pack is a huge event.

Fuchsdh

Halo iOS theme continues. These damn apps with their hard-to-guess preference names/icons are annoying the hell out of me. I don't wan to have to brute-force replace the icons in the app, but I might have to. Going with a more Halo 2 style for the wallpaper, front icons prolly still need more pizazz.
p3wmJ3n.jpg

Tawpgun

There are like 7 people who still play the first map pack. And they gave it away for free. I'm gonna laugh if they hype up and pretend that the next map pack is a huge event.

Thats because they took it away.

14 day Trial Period or something bullshit.

Top Bottom