• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Havok

Banshees in H4 SP are bullshit. Banshees changes in MP are welcome though after how they were in reach.
It's still ludicrously powerful in multiplayer since it kept the fuel rod. Once one pops up in something like Exile Dominion, a smart pilot can just do circuits for a solid half of the game killing people with the FRG as they spawn from afar before being taken down unless they get a lucky laser spawn. Plasma pistols can't touch it, not that I want to encourage their inclusion as a loadout item. No reason for a Banshee to slow down enough for a PP to catch up, even - the only Banshee weapon anyone ever needs to use takes half a second out of boost to fire and forget.

It went from being a harassment vehicle in 2 to a ridiculous death machine in Reach and 4. Slightly more vulnerable now, but still totally misguided.

It's still ludicrously powerful in multiplayer since it kept the fuel rod. Once one pops up in something like Exile Dominion, a smart pilot can just do circuits for a solid half of the game killing people with the FRG as they spawn from afar before being taken down unless they get a lucky laser spawn. Plasma pistols can't touch it, not that I want to encourage their inclusion as a loadout item. No reason for a Banshee to slow down enough for a PP to catch up, even - the only Banshee weapon anyone ever needs to use takes half a second out of boost to fire and forget.

It went from being a harassment vehicle in 2 to a ridiculous death machine in Reach and 4. Slightly more vulnerable now, but still totally misguided.

Halo 2 Banshee without the bomb is the best. The quick tracking rockets also helped balance it.

Definitely. Having the fuel rod on the banshee basically removes it from the sandbox for anything other than the BTB (or at least it should).

AF Jon

Neo Member
Good OP.

Not really. All you need is the right ordinance drop to deal with it.

Fuchsdh

Personally, I believe that the way the menus have been designed in Halo 4 have to do with Microsoft’s SmartGlass initiative more so then Kinect (Voice commands do make sense though). On iOS and Ipad devices the menus make sense, it is easy to navigate and the touch sensibility works. You could easily set up everything on a iOS device and switch over to the controller to actually play the game. On one hand it’s understandable that they tried to have this unified cohesive look to it all, so people don’t get confused but on the other hand they created a touch based menu system for a primarily controller based game. How often are people going to whip out their devices to set up everything? Hey look, there is a controller; I wonder what it does! SmartGlass is a novelty at best for Halo. Heck, they could have easily done a classic and simplified version of the UI by selecting at the start of the game. Now we are stuck with a more ”dumbed down” version that lost tons of functionality and in the end feels soulless.

Thank you, madam.

You should play Spec Ops: The Line. Trust me.

I've heard I should. Got it for $15, should be getting it this week.

Why don't they just make it function like the Halo 3 Banshee with the exception of the barrel rolls being changed to the 4 versions? I don't remember the Halo 3 one being particularly overpowered.

malfcn

Love getting donged on while none of my damage is recognized. Counting 8 shots of DMR with boost on and their shields barely popping is fun.

Vehicles were PERFECT in 2. If you think they were overpowered then you didn't understand the sandbox. I remember certain weapons would work great for different vehicles. For example, dual wielding SMGs would SHRED banshees, tanks were more vulnerable to plasma weapons, etc. etc.

Who said it was overpowered in 2?

Was that not what he was getting at when he called them "harassment"?

Maybe I'm being misreading it but it sounds like he's saying the H2 setup was superior compared to the H4/Reach implementations.

Havok

Vehicles were PERFECT in 2. If you think they were overpowered then you didn't understand the sandbox. I remember certain weapons would work great for different vehicles. For example, dual wielding SMGs would SHRED banshees, tanks were more vulnerable to plasma weapons, etc. etc.
Was that not what he was getting at when he called them "harassment"?
Not at all, I think you're misreading the gist of my post. All I mean by harassment vehicle is that it wasn't an airborne tank, rather a hit-and-run guerrilla vehicle. Its role was dramatically different, and for my money, more fitting. It had its issues, like with Team Rifles, but I'd take a FRG-less variant over the current one any day of the week.
Why don't they just make it function like the Halo 3 Banshee with the exception of the barrel rolls being changed to the 4 versions? I don't remember the Halo 3 one being particularly overpowered.
It was on a whopping two non-Heavies maps (three if you count one-sided Avalanche gametypes), both of which were very wide open and featured a high number of antiair weapons (missile pods/laser), but it was still pretty easy to bomb people in a pinch.
With the sheer amount of people that are playing usually, someone will likely get one.
I hope the enemy team remembers that the next time I'm spawn killing them with ease on Exile.

This should not be happening.

Tawpgun

If there's one thing we should have kept from the Kyle OT its a hall of fame of posts for the current OT.

Don't have to be all shitting on Halo 4. Like really good writeups, insights, criticisms... As well as funny posts and burns.

u4iX

If there's one thing we should have kept from the Kyle OT its a hall of fame of posts for the current OT.

Don't have to be all shitting on Halo 4. Like really good writeups, insights, criticisms... As well as funny posts and burns.

Cosign.

u4iX

A big reason is a lot of people wanted to know what peoples opinions were on the game and such. It would be a good way to know the current issues and might spark some discussion.

I think it also gives an incentive people to make more well thought out posts in hopes of getting into the hall of fame.

Rev3rb

SNUG_zps5a95de4f.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
"We wanted to give people a variety of locations so they can Forge in different ways, so rock, a rock in space, a rock cavern, a very large ocean that's off limits and this neat acid pool which is also off limits"

"Why don't we restrict the players free roaming ability and force them to forge into difficult spaces"

Good stuff.

Was there some technical limitation requiring the softkill barriers while Forging? It's always seemed like a baffling decision to me even in Reach.

I think that'd be a great Idea. Stuff like theoddone's ui post. And the suggested ui revamp.

Karl2177

Was there some technical limitation requiring the softkill barriers while Forging? It's always seemed like a baffling decision to me even in Reach.

It's either soft kill zones, Sandbox laser towers, invisible walls, or giant Foundry walls. The first 3 are to keep the skyboxes and distant scenery visible.

Speaking of Sandbox, I think I might check out some of the Halo 3 maps I have on my HDD.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm having so much fun destroying BKs in Reach's Anniversary playlist. The kids in that list are worse than ever.

Need 2 more for Reach MLG - GT is Overdoz1z
I'd be down, though I don't know how focused/serious I'd be.

Top Bottom