• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Tawpgun

Only thing off about the forge video was the talks on forgeworld. Pretty sure everyone wanted forgeworld gone for more environments. They didn't want those environments to still have the same looking pieces (exception to Erosion I guess) and to have dumb locations to forge.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't feel like playing anything at the moment, but if we can get a lobby going tonight or tomorrow I'll definitely play Reach or Halo 4. I'll be back on a good connection tomorrow, so I can stream as well.

I really miss HaloGAF game nights, maybe we can revive them.

GhaleonEB

malfcn, your Prometheus book has been shipped.

op_ivy, the Halo 4 LE and LE guide book have shipped.

That's the last of the stuff I was sending out.

Goodbye, Halo 4. It is perhaps the biggest gaming disappointment I've experienced. I'm genuinely sad at what 343 did one of my favorite series, but I've now officially moved on. Later.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Goodbye, Halo 4. It is perhaps the biggest gaming disappointment I've experienced. I'm genuinely sad at what 343 did one of my favorite series, but I've now officially moved on. Later.

See you Starside <3

Talents

Banned

Are you still going to post here? Will be a massive shame if not...

Ramirez

People are still playing Reach? I honestly just feel bad for ya'll right now

lol, that's what I'm sayin'...

I did try to play some Halo 4 today on my 47" TV, didn't end well. I don't see gaming on much of anything until I can get a smaller TV, the input lag is just horrendous.

GhaleonEB

See you Starside <3

Yes you will. Can't wait for DestinyGAF. :D
Are you still going to post here? Will be a massive shame if not...

Yeah I'm not going to disappear. I guess the 'later' kind of implied that but wasn't what I meant. But seeing as I no longer have the game, I'll post a lot less. I've said almost all of what I have to say about the game. (I might have one final closing thoughts type of post.)

As an aside, I'm not ruling out Halo 5. But I'll approach it with the kind of caution I approach all normal purchases, rather than making Halo games the automatic purchase they used to be. 343 will need to really pull back from the direction they've gone and recognize a lot of the problems they introduced or perpetuated in Halo 4. Good reviews won't cut it, Halo 4 got a lot of undeserved praise in the press, IMO.

This post makes me sad. I hope Bungue will announce Destiny soon, so we can talk about it. :) Did you already reserve the Destiny OT? :D

Sordid

It is perhaps the biggest gaming disappointment I've experienced.

Microsoft have badly whiffed 2 of my most anticipated games this gen, this and Crackdown 2. It's funny, I only bought the original Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta and it ended up being one of my favourite games! Shame the series is pretty much dead :(

On Halo 4, I thought host selection etc was fixed in recently? Had my first games in 3 weeks the other night and some of the connections were horrendous. Took a while to find matches too, even with 20,000 folk in a playlist. Think I'll leave it for a while again :/

Tashi

I did try to play some Halo 4 today on my 47" TV, didn't end well. I don't see gaming on much of anything until I can get a smaller TV, the input lag is just horrendous.

Just play Dota bro

Mayyhem

I haven't played this in over a month, I hate the MP. I feel like playing right now though, is there an MLG playlist yet?

Tashi

I haven't played this in over a month, I hate the MP. I feel like playing right now though, is there an MLG playlist yet?

No sir

edit: If Forge GAF has any maps, (either ones you made or not. Doesn't matter) please PM with details (Name of map, gamertag where I can download them from) PLEASE! Any maps. Thank you.

TCKaos

No sir

edit: If Forge GAF has any maps, (either ones you made or not. Doesn't matter) please PM with details (Name of map, gamertag where I can download them from) PLEASE! Any maps. Thank you.

Mercilessly stalk Computron until he gives you like all of the maps he's made.

Do you guys think Halo has crossed a line with armor abilities/custom loadouts that it can't go back on?
Never had the series has such a radical change of its sandbox.
It could have been left behind with Reach, but now that they have brought it into the main series, is it too late to go back for Halo 5?

TCKaos

Do you guys think Halo has crossed a line with armor abilities/custom loadouts that it can't go back on?
It could have been left behind with Reach, but now that they have brought it into the main series, is it too late to go back for Halo 5?

Yeah, by now it's become an important part of the sandbox to the point where I think that there'd be more complaints coming from removing it than leaving them in for sure.

Hell, I'd complain if they removed it. I really enjoy Armor Abilities, and the concept is great, but 343's execution has been somewhat lackluster due to buffing AC and not properly nerfing PV. Everything else is fine, more or less.
EDIT: God damn fucking Mirrored needs to just shut the fuck up. He's interrupting Cosmo everytime he tries to explain something or make a remark. He acts like he has to jump in and try to one-up him with literally every single comment.

Trey

It can go back. Just make classic game type options available.

For all the doom and gloom around here, Halo 4 is the same ass game as the rest, it just has a bunch of shit on top people don't like. Give them the options to pick and choose. Re-implement old features, improve forge, stuff like that.

If they wanted Loadouts, Ordnance and AA's could be retired

Halo 5 Could play like Halo 3

AA's could be revoked to a limited use single pick up item. Bubble shield Nades,Single use jump pack, Camo, Overshields ect

Equipment was still a manageable level or "random" for the majority

I don't know if it "can't go back", but it's not going to. For people that are really against custom loadouts, armor abilities, perks, etc., the best you can really hope for in future Halo titles is custom options to make it so for yourself. The core MP experience is going to feature all of that though.

Make 343 do Forge.

Outsource Armor Abilities to Certain Affinity so we don't get shit.

The sandbox revision is steadily receiving more attention. As a result, I need help from you guys seeing if these names seem suitable. I'm not going to provide backstory or even sandbox function--from the start, I want them to be recognizable names and not ones that just vaguely work, like the Sticky Detonator. Feel free to offer ideas for replacements/suggestions.

Oscillator
Pulse Rifle
Aether Wrench
Aether Staff
Phasebuster
Phase Grenade
Ion Cannon*
Gamma Mortar
Ultramortar

*I need help figuring out a name for the "Ion Cannon." I don't want to go with Ion since it's literally just an abridged version of Incineration Cannon, so here were some ideas:
Hard Sound Cannon
Sonic Cannon (no)
Flux Cannon
The FLUX (Ferromagnetic Linear Ultraviolet Excavator - in other words, it's going to either be powered by sound or by using hard ultraviolet light)

Any ideas?

Fuchsdh

I don't know if it "can't go back", but it's not going to. For people that really admittedly against custom loadouts, armor abilities, perks, etc., the best you can really hope for in future Halo titles is custom options to make it so for yourself. The core MP experience is going to feature all of that though.

Do we really have good examples of *any* video game series actually "regressing" or retiring features and elements from previous games (and being successful, critically or commercially?) Among the stupid facets of video gaming is that people treat every missing thing as a negative.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Do we really have good examples of *any* video game series actually "regressing" or retiring features and elements from previous games (and being successful, critically or commercially?) Among the stupid facets of video gaming is that people treat every missing thing as a negative.
I don't remember there being too much controversy over dual wielding being removed in Reach. I'm not saying you're wrong, though. Just offering a counter example.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Halo 4.

Rev3rb

There's no "Game Mode" option on your TV?

DeadNames

Banned
Make 343 do Forge.

Outsource Armor Abilities to Certain Affinity so we don't get shit.

The sandbox revision is steadily receiving more attention. As a result, I need help from you guys seeing if these names seem suitable. I'm not going to provide backstory or even sandbox function--from the start, I want them to be recognizable names and not ones that just vaguely work, like the Sticky Detonator. Feel free to offer ideas for replacements/suggestions.

Oscillator
Pulse Rifle
Aether Wrench
Aether Staff
Phasebuster
Phase Grenade
Ion Cannon*
Gamma Mortar
Ultramortar

*I need help figuring out a name for the "Ion Cannon." I don't want to go with Ion since it's literally just an abridged version of Incineration Cannon, so here were some ideas:
Hard Sound Cannon
Sonic Cannon (no)
Flux Cannon
The FLUX (Ferromagnetic Linear Ultraviolet Excavator - in other words, it's going to either be powered by sound or by using hard ultraviolet light)

Any ideas?

Some of those sound okay (pulse rifle, oscillator), but some just sound cheesy and don't sound like Halo guns at all. The Gamma mortar and the Aether staff/wrench sound like something out of a JRPG.

Warning! Lots of spontaneous thoughts and impressions from campaign incoming:

Does anyone here actually go for the weekly campaign challenges?

I did all of them so far, including the last two pairs (Dawn and Requiem on Legendary with a bunch of skulls).

At first, I was deeply frustrated with how hard it was to beat the Elites. Especially on Dawn, with an abundance of stupid corridors that only give you ONE way of approaching the enemies. I think they could've at least added a few more tunnels and such (see: Pillar of Autumn in the original Halo). Especially since sneaking around and backsmacking Elites is pretty much the best way of killing them.

That said, after wrapping up the Dawn challenge, it felt like a real achievement. I know I could've gotten the same amount - or more - of credits in less time by playing MP... but I don't really care about those. I was in it for the experience.
... and it was great, all in all! I approached it a lot differently than on both previous solo playthroughs (at least where possible, see above).

Today, I finished "Requiem Rumble".

I started out by blasting my Warthog right through the enemy defenses into the final base of the first bowl-like area instead of killing every single foe. After killing all the enemies in my direct vicinity, I remembered how I once managed to climb the path ahead with the Warthog during a co-op session. It didn't work out though, so I came up with something different:

I destroyed the tower above the gravity lift. Then, I grabbed a Ghost and used the lift as a ramp. And it worked!

Long story short, I splattered my way all the way up into the first interior section (where you have to activate the two energy beam thingies). Active Camo made things A LOT easier from then on (the Ghost got despawned after the first cutscene inside the room). My vehicle rampage segued into an elaborate stealth section.

I could go on and on (pushing Elites off of the bridge with a banshee; "dancing" with a Sword Elite while blasting countless Plasma Pistol shots at him, headshotting him as he was just about to slice me up; and so on and so forth). There was so much random and genuinely unexpected stuff happening! To me, those were definitive Halo moments. And, again and again, the game forced me to be creative.

Oh, and by the way: Once, I remembered leaving a Fuel Rod Gun somewhere behind after quite a number of battles. I went back and, yes, it was still there! Generally, I noticed only rare instances of weapons disappearing.

Which kind of leads me to a related topic: the variety of weapons employed by me during my solo legendary playthroughs. In Reach, it was basically DMR + PP, all the time, with a hint of power weapons here and there. In Halo 4, I simply couldn't do that because the game doesn't allow you to do that (at least at times). Instead, however, it provides numerous alternatives - viable alternatives! Granted, it wasn't as easy to plow through the enemies, but much more satisfying. I had to get more creative than I was used to.

Anyway, as for one thing I'm not looking forward to with next week's skull challenges: Fighting Knights with all those skulls enabled. I already considered them to be too bullet spongy on Legendary. And their shield feedback is kinda wonky, too... Maybe co-op could do the trick though.

On a final note, campaign scoring could probably make my latest campaign ventures a lot more fun. And Theater mode would've made this post a lot more interesting, what with pics or even film clips of the shenanigans. But the absence of these features, while unfortunate, doesn't make me stop having fun. It sure as hell didn't stop me from replaying Halo 1 and 2 time and again, either.

TL;DR: Halo 4 is a great (and beautiful) game. Haters gonna hate. Yadda yadda.
Could still be (a lot) better though.

Edit:

These guys have a point though and that's just one of the areas where my very last statement applies, to be clear. But the latest Bulletin makes me somewhat hopeful.

Top Bottom