• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

IHaveIce

Banned
You know what Halo 4 did? It got rid of a lot of the 90's Generation Y kids who feel they are entitled to have their dick sucked 24/7. I can totally relate to Louis Wu's decision to avoid the community here now.

Halo 2 sucked when it first came out. It shit on the 'legacy' of Halo's pure mp. It fucked it up really badly and alienated a lot of players. Those players were both septic and also constructive and good feedback allowed the creation on tu1. The game was still a monkey shit fight but it was a lot better.

Halo 4 has alienated a whole new generation of fans. But this time round the 'fans' are screaming, whining and repeating their self entitled bullshit over and over again. It's the same old adapt and evolve scenario that has somehow become a bad thing rather than a way to develop the series into something new each time.

If you don't like the game. Leave it and dont let the door hit you on the way out. There seems to be a lot of people who keep saying that they will never play the game again, so don't, move on.

Look at the population charts or what some of us are saying what we are playing.. We don't play it.

Doesn't change that we can post in the Halo community thread.

And no what you are saying is not true, there was also alot of crying, screaming and whining back then with Halo 2, but there were really good contructive criticisms.

And guess what these exist also with Halo 4. Of course there are more who just whine instead of posting a long good written post.

Redford

aka Cabbie
You know what Halo 4 did? It got rid of a lot of the 90's Generation Y kids who feel they are entitled to have their dick sucked 24/7. I can totally relate to Louis Wu's decision to avoid the community here now.

Halo 2 sucked when it first came out. It shit on the 'legacy' of Halo's pure mp. It fucked it up really badly and alienated a lot of players. Those players were both septic and also constructive and good feedback allowed the creation on tu1. The game was still a monkey shit fight but it was a lot better.

Halo 4 has alienated a whole new generation of fans. But this time round the 'fans' are screaming, whining and repeating their self entitled bullshit over and over again. It's the same old adapt and evolve scenario that has somehow become a bad thing rather than a way to develop the series into something new each time.

If you don't like the game. Leave it and dont let the door hit you on the way out. There seems to be a lot of people who keep saying that they will never play the game again, so don't, move on.

Whoa, lets not read that much into it. I think all everyone's taking issue with is a certain type of discourse thats been snowballing for the past month in this thread that just needs to be reigned back in, and that any humour there was in it is growing sour now.

broony

And no what you are saying is not true, there was also alot of crying, screaming and whining back then with Halo 2, but there were really good contructive criticisms.

And guess what these exist also with Halo 4. Of course there are more who just whine instead of posting a long good written post.

I just said that about halo 2.

And I don't agree with you about discussion of 4. It just devolves into halo is dead. Fix this. Fix that. Bring back ghis or that. Make it like halo 2/3.

Instead of develop this, develop that. Introduce this. Halo 2 /3 are played out. We don't need another one. Halo 4 is ridiculously fresh. So much potential if people can get over the fact it is not halo 2/3.

kylej

Banned
Finding good feedback on HaloGaf is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

you're free to leave. tired of people like yourself who joined to talk to frankie, and now frankie left so people lament the downfall of halogaf. halogaf is the same as its ever been, except now there are way more people so the close-knit community feel is gone. people complain, people act stupid, people get banned, people post good feedback, discussion about the past and future of halo is had. go back to waypoint or hbo or bnet or readyuplive or wherever if this place is so intolerable.

1 game constitutes a legacy? Ehhh okay. Besides Halo 2 was the best MP Halo game.

IHaveIce

Banned
I just said that about halo 2.

And I don't agree with you about discussion of 4. It just devolves into halo is dead. Fix this. Fix that. Bring back ghis or that. Make it like halo 2/3.

Instead of develop this, develop that. Introduce this. Halo 2 /3 are played out. We don't need another one. Halo 4 is ridiculously fresh. So much potential if people can get over the fact it is not halo 2/3.

Oh yes I read your sentence about Halo 2 wrong, sorry :(

But where does it end? Where do we say okay this is now too much introduced ..does it still relate to the others? Will we have ADS in the next game?

I understand what you mean, but I've read great posts about a possible Halo 4 update, sandbox tweaks, because some stuff is needed, fixes for bugs that are just shameful

Of course there is a lot of stuff people are asking for that would change the game back, and yesI hae to admit I am one of them.

broony

1 game constitutes a legacy? Ehhh okay. Besides Halo 2 was the best MP Halo game.

Erm. Fucking yeah it constitutes a legacy, when it managed to destroy so many preconceptions of the genre, in a way that worked so well and ended up being copied for so long.

Halo 2 was far from the best halo Mp. It was full, full, full of exploits, standbyers, super jumpers. Then it also got duel wielding / spray and pray so wrong. As well as bad design / bugs such a sword flying. It was a mess after something as clean, simple and playable as Halo 1 mp.

Halo 3 then refined that and probably found a middle ground for the old school halo 1 players and the halo 2 kids.

Fotos

you're free to leave. tired of people like yourself who joined to talk to frankie, and now frankie left so people lament the downfall of halogaf. halogaf is the same as its ever been, except now there are way more people so the close-knit community feel is gone. people complain, people act stupid, people get banned, people post good feedback, discussion about the past and future of halo is had. go back to waypoint or hbo or bnet or readyuplive or wherever if this place is so intolerable.

I didn't join to talk to Frankie nor am I a member of HBO or Readyuplive. I was just saying that there are so many posts on here saying "Take aa's, perks, sprint, etc out of the game" "Halo 4 sucks" "343 is terrible". But once in awhile you'll find a good post where someone has something good to say or an idea for the game instead of shitting all over 343 and Halo 4.

Kuroyume

Banned

Really? So are you now moderating the thread? Determining what people can or can't discuss? What a stupid condescending post. Shame on you.

Fotos

icnlNY.gif

If the choice was between Frankie, Wu and others for this:

can't wait to press 3 glowing buttons on those spartan ops environments.
HaloGAF dun goofed.

Um. That's exactly what's happening. En masse. The multiplayer population for this game is dying off fast.

Trey

DMR

That will simply lead to a Halo with absolutely no identity. Halo cannot be everything at once; there needs to be a defined Halo experience that is refined and polished and perfected. Halo shouldn't try and walk two paths. The developer needs to say, "this is our identity, this is what Halo is and we're sticking with it."

You can do that and still innovate, you can do that and still change, you can do that and still draw new fans, but you can't do that and then also have a completely different experience branching out of the same game. It simply doesn't work.

The identity of Halo would be a fun game. How do you figure it would lose its identity if Halo better implemented AAs and loadouts while still allowing players to enjoy classic Halo if they so wish?

I certainly don't feel the identity of Halo is compromised because you can do Rocket Race or Grifball.

Omni

Lucky you. That game is the bane of my existence. I've beaten every goddamn Halo game including Halo 4 on Legendary except Halo 2.

I died more times than I'm willing to admit. It got to the point where I was just throwing myself at them :\

It's a tad easier on PC I think. I couldn't do it on Xbox

ElRenoRaven

I died more times than I'm willing to admit. It got to the point where I was just throwing myself at them :\

I wish. For me eventually I made it as far as Chief on High Charity. There is very little room to hide and of course you're limited on weaponry. I think the biggest thing about Halo 2's difficulty is the fact that their weapons hit so much harder. I'd take being more of a bullet sponge even. It's like 2 shots and my shields are gone.

Duji

It's shit like this from upstanding whining, basement dwellers like yourself that's been bringing the tone down here. You can't see the problem because it's folks like you are ARE the problem.

Hah, "man up". Fucking hilarious.
What the hell are you talking about? Any discussion that doesn't involve praising the game constitutes "bringing the tone down"? Don't tell me you're that naive.

Finding good feedback on HaloGaf is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Nope.

Hey, why don't we all do the cool thing here and blame the "tone of discourse" for chasing away people like Frankie and Wu.

Buntabox

I had to do it on Co-op with a friend. I think we spent 45 mins or so fighting Tartarus. That was back in 04 though. My memory could be stretching it. But I remember it being completely ridiculous.

Trey

I for one hope HaloGAF never changes. All kinds of opinions in this place. If some find the overall negative tone too overbearing, it is their prerogative to leave.

As an aside, can anyone link me to Wu's departure?

Overdoziz

Banned
The tone doesn't bother me much, but damn if there aren't a lot of dumb posts.

Anyway, meta discussion is dumb, let's go back to talking about why we all want Halo 2 HD.

Duji

Trey, I totally agree with you.

and here it is:
This place has become too toxic for me. I think I'll let biggy find GAF-generated news going forward; I don't have the energy to wade through the vitriol to find the good stuff.

Definitely won't make a huge change around here; I hardly post any more anyway... but for folks who are surprised by the attitude this group gets from other parts of GAF, you should understand that as someone who used to come here for the high level of discussion, things have degraded a LOT in recent months.

See ya starside.

edit: Talents beat me to it. lol.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I listened to the podcast while at work today. Great stuff, guys. I hope Jessica and other folks at 343 give it a listen.

Thanks man.

I wonder if Jess at least listens to it because she always links it on Waypoint and I would imagine that she filters all content on the site.

I've completed legendary runs of Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4, all with the same co-op partner, but for some reason Halo Anniversary broke him. It was a sad sight to witness.

Although to be fair, I barely made it to the end of ODST. That damn highway... I've never broken a controller out of frustration, but I was close ;P

Enfinit

I'm falling in love with you more and more each day.

Several regular members here really enjoy Halo 4 and I have never claimed that they are not true Halo fans.

Dax, if you want to keep arguing with me about all of my posts my PM box is not full but I would appreciate it if you would actually read my posts as they are written instead of assuming everything I write is an attack on 343 or people who disagree with me.

What about the members over there? Do you even read your own posts? I read your posts, and I don't assume everything you write is an "an attack on 343 of people who disagree with [you]." I simply poke easy holes in your numerous and ridiculous generalizations. Here's what you originally said and what I took issue with:

Gaming side doesn't bother me. They are not Halo fans so they do not understand Halo fans.
This speaks nothing of the "I was talking only about the people who are more invested" point you talked about later. You are, not arbitrarily but it may as well be, defining who's a Halo fan and who's not by where people most post. This does not, once again, speak anything to "who's more invested." You make a completely different point. This means that you are either terrible at conveying what you really mean, or you do believe what you originally say, but you backtrack rather poorly when asked to expand upon your original statements.

But continue. I guess I'm pretty tired by this point at responding to you anyway.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

lol

Rev3rb

Looking forward to the forge playlist and TU. As long as the game has good maps and the core gameplay is still solid. I'm good.

What was H2 like before the TU?

can't remember anything besides the ridiculous amount of beat downs needed to kill someone...

H4's gameplay can only improve after the TU

J10

Banned
You know what Halo 4 did? It got rid of a lot of the 90's Generation Y kids who feel they are entitled to have their dick sucked 24/7.

COMEBACK KILL! DISTRACTION! ORDNANCE READY! Unlocking armor, weapons, abilities, perks, commendations, generic kill medals - rewards every step of the way.

This game is practically begging to suck our dicks. Maybe some people stopped playing because it was using too much teeth.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I apologize in advance for this post, for the people who don't like negativity.

I have known about HaloGAF for as long as I have been on GAF, and recognized a lot of the people in it, but I never felt comfortable joining in. I found the community somewhat intimidating and it didn't quite align with my opinion at the time. I did post here on occasion when a gaming thread about Halo came up, but for the most part I kept to myself.

I was tempted to start participating more often in the leadup to Halo 4, but while I wanted to talk about the potential positives and negatives of the game (especially the negatives because I was scared) the few times I did check in here there was a crazy amount of dicksucking going on. I continued to feel uncomfortable.

It was only recently that I started to see the general sentiment toward the game lean more in my direction that I was ready to present myself as someone who could thoroughly discuss the game. It started in a gaming thread where I detailed things like combat flow and skill gap. Karl backed me up when people disagreed, and when I found him here in HaloGAF I knew I could hold my own.

So yeah I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand how it's difficult for people with opinions outside of the majority to participate and feel like they're being heard, and similarly it is also nice for some who may have been at the opposite end of the discussion feeling left out then and not now.

Arnie

HaloGAF was brilliant back in 2007, and it's slowly drifted, coincidentally, with the general aura of the franchise. Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the days when I'd discuss the actual game intelligently with people who all loved it; there are people who understand the problems facing Halo 4, but very few of us love it. Very few of us actively enjoy it. And a minority of us must be most frustrated of all, because they are enjoying it, are coming here to participate in discussion about it, only to be greeted with negativity.

Negativity isn't inherently bad, though. The most insightful posts I've read in this community over the last three months have been broadly 'negative', but present themselves in a way that frames the game differently, and draws attention to things I'd not thought about or been able to verbalise.

I don't blame anyone for leaving, I'd argue it's a chore to stick around with so little dialogue or development at this present moment.

Blueblur1

Thanks man.

I wonder if Jess at least listens to it because she always links it on Waypoint and I would imagine that she filters all content on the site.
I think she would have to, no? I doubt they can post just anything to it considering that its an official site that has thousands of eyes on it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think she would have to, no? I doubt they can post just anything to it considering that its an official site that has thousands of eyes on it.

That's my guess, ya. I'm going to drop a "Jess, if you're listening...nod" and see lol. Then I'll know for sure.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HaloGAF was brilliant back in 2007, and it's slowly drifted, coincidentally, with the general aura of the franchise. Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the days when I'd discuss the actual game intelligently with people who all loved it; there are people who understand the problems facing Halo 4, but very few of us love it. Very few of us actively enjoy it. And a minority of us must be most frustrated of all, because they are enjoying it, are coming here to participate in discussion about it, only to be greeted with negativity.

Negativity isn't inherently bad, though. The most insightful posts I've read in this community over the last three months have been broadly 'negative', but present themselves in a way that frames the game differently, and draws attention to things I'd not thought about or been able to verbalise.

I don't blame anyone for leaving, I'd argue it's a chore to stick around with so little dialogue or development at this present moment.
Not trying to meta-thread whine but: I think this is the main problem. There's nothing to talk about anymore, everything that's been said has been said, and the community has just been around so long it's turned into a lounge room for regulars to post cheap trolls and shit on developers because there quite literally isn't anything better to do.

It doesn't even have to do with positive or negative, the level of discourse has definitely taken a downturn after Reach and Halo 4 have come out. That's why I only pop in and out of this thread even now, it's really disheartening that I love Halo and GAF, but I just can't parse through HaloGAF nowadays, and the regular OT is just dead and not worth sparking discussion because even the intelligent posters are all in this thread and pop up (or make good posts) only here.

I think HaloGAF just needs something more than just "343 is still doing nothing" to talk about. SpOps coming will help stimulate discussion, and so will map pack releases. Between then? Godspeed.

Top Bottom