• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Not trying to meta-thread whine but: I think this is the main problem. There's nothing to talk about anymore, everything that's been said has been said, and the community has just been around so long it's turned into a lounge room for regulars to post cheap trolls and shit on developers because there quite literally isn't anything better to do.

It doesn't even have to do with positive or negative, the level of discourse has definitely taken a downturn after Reach and Halo 4 have come out. That's why I only pop in and out of this thread even now, it's really disheartening that I love Halo and GAF, but I just can't parse through HaloGAF nowadays, and the regular OT is just dead and not worth sparking discussion because even the intelligent posters are all in this thread and pop up (or make good posts) only here.

I think HaloGAF just needs something more than just "343 is still doing nothing" to talk about. SpOps coming will help stimulate discussion, and so will map pack releases. Between then? Godspeed.

That's been affecting every Halo community. With MLG gone and 343 being so vague on details, there really isn't that much to have discussion about, so arguments go on repeat for weeks. It's no one's fault really and I find it odd that some are implying it's HaloGAF specifically, but it's everywhere. This has been going on since we noticed the lack of support in Reach and the only thing driving the Halo community was the hype of the Reach TU, Halo 4, and the limited time of post-TU MLG Reach.

Like you said, the map packs help and hopefully SpOps will bring some new life to the mode, but other than that, with the lack of sharing gametypes/maps easily like before and 343 hardly giving us details besides rotational playlists, everywhere has been very dull in discussion and I don't see that changing unless the TU makes a huge difference.

Apparently, the Smartglass app has gotten an update on Windows Phone (don't know about other platforms) and the H4 Stats Smartglass experience actually works now. It will no longer give you an error about having a touchscreen. The actual experience itself is, while functional, the worst Smartglass sub-app for me so far. Smartglass and menus are still super-responsive, while the H4 stats and data part of it has a delay on your input and doesn't scroll or work that smooth. After all this wait, to have the H4 Smartglass app be *this* is quite disappointing. Why we didn't just get an update to the Waypoint app is beyond me.

Apparently, the Smartglass app has gotten an update on Windows Phone (don't know about other platforms) and the H4 Stats Smartglass experience actually works now. It will no longer give you an error about having a touchscreen. The actual experience itself is, while functional, the worst Smartglass sub-app for me so far. Smartglass and menus are still super-responsive, while the H4 stats and data part of it has a delay on your input and doesn't scroll or work that smooth. After all this wait, to have the H4 Smartglass app be *this* is quite disappointing. Why we didn't just get an update to the Waypoint app is beyond me.

Pretty consistent theme with Halo huh..

Omni

I downloaded smartglass thingy on my iPhone a while ago. Still not understanding the point. How do you access H4 stats?

GrizzNKev

Banned

I just installed the update and tried it.

Completely unusable. The screen updates at like.. 1 frame per second.

If you didn't catch on to the issues present here when:

1. Frankie posted an open letter tailored for this community
2. Other developers and 343i staff post far less
3. GAF mods warn, ban and try to cleanse this community
4. Louis Wu left
5. This OT literally recently imploded on itself

...then things here are not going to change, neither are dominant poster attitudes and the distinct lack of empathy for your fellow Halo fans.

I came here for multiple reasons being the Halo content you guys created from events, to debate with professional players and I had previous GAF accounts for other Aussie and game interests. I also wanted to talk with Halo developers on a personal level. None of that is enjoyable here.

Looking at my experiences here I too no longer care for this community, there is barely anything unique or fulfilling or in depth anymore plus anything different gets group shit on. Thanks to all the friendly and intelligent folks with the quality content. As for posters I consider not in that positive label I say things are what you make of them. Perhaps you will grow up and not piss away other opportunities in future.

To 343 the campaign was great, love that Halo finally knocked the graphics, facial animations, mocap and cutscenes out of the park. With some work I could go from really liking the multiplayer and SPOPS to loving them. FUD and centralising the lore was solid work too, kudos. I hope to see you more on your home ground, Waypoint.

Cheers, I am out.

jumping-out-of-window.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami

4. Louis Wu left

...then things here are not going to change, neither are dominant poster attitudes and the distinct lack of empathy for your fellow Halo fans.

I came here for multiple reasons being the Halo content you guys created from events, to debate with professional players and I had previous GAF accounts for other Aussie and game interests. I also wanted to talk with Halo developers on a personal level. None of that is enjoyable here.

Looking at my experiences here I too no longer care for this community, there is barely anything unique or fulfilling or in depth anymore plus anything different gets group shit on. Thanks to all the friendly and intelligent folks with the quality content. As for posters I consider not in that positive label I say things are what you make of them. Perhaps you will grow up and not piss away other opportunities in future.

To 343 the campaign was great, love that Halo finally knocked the graphics, facial animations, mocap and cutscenes out of the park. With some work I could go from really liking the multiplayer and SPOPS to loving them. FUD and centralising the lore was solid work too, kudos. I hope to see you more on your home ground, Waypoint.

Cheers, I am out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3wBC3RS9B...8/EGULByvyshE/s1600/jumping-out-of-window.gif
See you.

edit: Wait, he just admitted he has alts? lol

I downloaded smartglass thingy on my iPhone a while ago. Still not understanding the point. How do you access H4 stats?

It's part of MS' new 3 screens philosophy (TV+Comp+Mobile/tablet). Smartglass allows you to control your Xbox and launch games and apps from your mobile/tablet, among a few other features. The place where it actually shines really well with everything but Halo 4 is the "experiences". These are modules (or sub-apps) that run within the Smartglass app and apply to only your current activity. For example, if you're using Netflix, it'll show the show/movie you're watching, information about the cast, suggest other things to watch, gives really slick controls for navigating your show, etc. You can even launch other movies for other apps that might have the same actors and such.

For Halo 4, you have to be playing Halo 4 and run Smartglass. It should default to the Halo 4 Stats Experience. But it is too depressing and you shouldn't base your opinion of Smartglass on that.

I just installed the update and tried it.

Completely unusable. The screen updates at like.. 1 frame per second.

Yeah - this is like v0.0051 level of development, not Release Candidate level.

Have Windows 8 and Smartglass was pre-installed. It works and everything but I didn't see a point, haven't touched it sense.

For me, it makes more sense for mobile devices (unless you're talking a W8 phone/tablet). For example, it makes the IE on Xbox actually usable and much more fluid. Essentially turns your TV into a full-size mobile browser. On Windows Phone at least, you can hit a button on the IE smartglass app and the page you're on will open in IE on your phone and you can use there, then when you're done you hit the button again and it switches display control back to the Xbox.

Blah blah blah you all suck I'm the best peace out also I have alts cuz I'm a rebel

jGtnE.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hate to get all sensy-gaf on you guys, but I really don't want you using suicide like it's no big deal. I've had firsthand experiences with suicide and it's not pretty. Again, I'm sorry. I was just a bit bothered.

And see ya Ozzy. I don't think you were well liked here anyways.

Apologies, edited my post. Sorry :(

m23

Off topic: God damn is it tough giving a dog a bath.

On topic: New Spartan Ops looks cool, hopefully it plays as well as they describe it. So far I've basically been forcing myself to complete the missions, we'll see if that changes. I do enjoy the story though and playing the missions in coop are fun......at times.

Also, Microsoft is having some sort of event on the 24th. I doubt they'll show anything next gen though, seems to be focusing on the Surface and other products. One of the minds behind Kinect is supposed to be giving some sort of presentation as well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looking forward to the forge playlist and TU. As long as the game has good maps and the core gameplay is still solid. I'm good.

What was H2 like before the TU?

can't remember anything besides the ridiculous amount of beat downs needed to kill someone...

H4's gameplay can only improve after the TU

nades were suggestions.

Pop

Hate to get all sensy-gaf on you guys, but I really don't want you using suicide like it's no big deal. I've had firsthand experiences with suicide and it's not pretty. Again, I'm sorry. I was just a bit bothered.

And see ya Ozzy. I don't think you were well liked here anyways.

hahahaa Ozzy

Deadnames, how does Halo make you feel when chief falls off the edge?

Fracas

#fuckonami
hahahaa Ozzy

I think it's time for me to take a break from this forum, I know you all won't care but I have no further discussion on Halo. Halo is heading down a terrible path and if things start getting brighter I'll return.

Peace out everyone.

That was quick.

It's part of MS' new 3 screens philosophy (TV+Comp+Mobile/tablet). Smartglass allows you to control your Xbox and launch games and apps from your mobile/tablet, among a few other features. The place where it actually shines really well with everything but Halo 4 is the "experiences". These are modules (or sub-apps) that run within the Smartglass app and apply to only your current activity. For example, if you're using Netflix, it'll show the show/movie you're watching, information about the cast, suggest other things to watch, gives really slick controls for navigating your show, etc. You can even launch other movies for other apps that might have the same actors and such.

Yeah it's pretty cool for Netflix and HBO. Usually if nothing else I open it to control the video if I need to instead of using the controller.

DeadNames

Banned
hahahaa Ozzy

Really?

Well I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me uncomfortable. But hey it's a video game.. I can't do much. Every member of sensyGAF has their own things, and suicide is mine.

Guys, please don't all leave. I don't wanna be left here while heckfu talks about FIFA and Kyle details funny stories from his speedrunning OT.

I'm no HaloGAF vet, but I'm still here.

Guys, please don't all leave. I don't wanna be left here while heckfu talks about FIFA and Kyle details funny stories from his speedrunning OT.

Voltron64

4. Louis Wu left

Cheers, I am out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3wBC3RS9BXk/T6VUfOr5whI/AAAAAAAABG8/EGULByvyshE/s1600/jumping-out-of-window.gif[img][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rnJzTvl.gif

Omni

For Halo 4, you have to be playing Halo 4 and run Smartglass. It should default to the Halo 4 Stats Experience. But it is too depressing and you shouldn't base your opinion of Smartglass on that.

Oooh okay. Sounds pretty cool. Whenever I run the app while playing Halo 4 I just get this

Do I have the wrong version or something?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's been affecting every Halo community. With MLG gone and 343 being so vague on details, there really isn't that much to have discussion about, so arguments go on repeat for weeks. It's no one's fault really and I find it odd that some are implying it's HaloGAF specifically, but it's everywhere. This has been going on since we noticed the lack of support in Reach and the only thing driving the Halo community was the hype of the Reach TU, Halo 4, and the limited time of post-TU MLG Reach.

Like you said, the map packs help and hopefully SpOps will bring some new life to the mode, but other than that, with the lack of sharing gametypes/maps easily like before and 343 hardly giving us details besides rotational playlists, everywhere has been very dull in discussion and I don't see that changing unless the TU makes a huge difference.
Yeah, I just don't pay attention to other Halo communities, and don't really care much for MLG either. I remember GAF was magical when Halo 3 came out and everyone was discovering the game, especially in the month leading up to it's release. I was lurking then, but that's what I wanted to participate in. Halo 4 is being supported post-release but none of the stuff people are being most vocal about is being acknowledged or corrected, and that is the most worrying. It took them a month to officially recognize a broken File Share. A MONTH.

Ugh the hypersensitivity makes it so frustrating to use. Waypoint in general is a UI and functional mess on every platform. It's just horribly unintuitive and has poor organization. I would say the iOS app is relatively the best in those regards too.

and so ozzy goes out the way he came in; with a garbled mess of illogical points that nobody cares about.

rip
This post perfectly embodies everything wrong in these threads.

m23

Listening to the ODST soundtrack on my ATH-M50s, so good. Marty needs to hurry up with that new music. I'm really interested in what he has in store for us, expecting something very different from what he's done with Halo.

the natron

Neo Member
wow I just want to go and apologize and if I'm one of those people thats just being an annoying and cynical ass. I don't mean to be, I just get kinda heated when it comes to things I'm really passionate about.
I lurked in the Halo threads at first when Halo 4 was announced doing what most lurkers did during that time, and that was look for info on the game. But as I read through the thread I thought you guys sounded awesome and you guys seemed to have a great community going, cynical or not. Thats what made me get an account, was so that I could join with you guys and be a part of the community. So thats why I really don't to be a hindered to a lot of people, and if I am at any point let me know. I want to be a helpful part of the community, not someone who drags it down.

Nowise10

Oooh okay. Sounds pretty cool. Whenever I run the app while playing Halo 4 I just get this

Do I have the wrong version or something?

Im 99% positive they said we would be able to scan objects in the campaign using Halo 4 SmartGlass, and then we would get all this detail and knowledge about them.

wtf happened to that?

Top Bottom