• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

TCKaos

I'm going to be "that guy" and point out that Davidge didn't compose "117".

You smarmy fucks and your precious facts. Ruining the fun for everybody.
I still love you.

Arrival, Revival and 117 were the best tracks in the game. Faithless and Belly of the Beast are pretty awesome too. I don't really remember any of the others.

I'm going to be "that guy" and point out that Davidge didn't compose "117".

I mentioned the composer of 117 in a previous post. Besides, Davidge was producer, I'm sure he had a hand in it. Even if he didn't, that's still part of the Halo 4 soundtrack, and that it was a different composer doesn't really matter.

blamite

Davidge's music is pretty cool but the way it's used in the campaign is incredibly disappointting and forgettable. Wasn't Awakening only used for like 4 second when the Chief is falling at the end of Shutdown? What a waste.

What's great about Marty's music is that he really seems to work a lot with the story and campaign teams to specifically compose music for how it'll be used in the game, and we don't really know how Davidge worked I don't think, but I really get the sense that he did things much more separated from the 343 team. Meaning the final music wasn't really coordinated well with the game and cutscenes to suit specific moments.

117 is the exception to this I think, it works great for the Broadsword run and the Didact's speech at the end.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

malfcn

A whole team of camping camo users. They can burn.

And once again, to the team mate that went 1-15

1454_68f8.gif

Delta Halo Suite still contains one of my favorite pieces of Halo music. It's from Halo 2 when Chief is sinking into the lake and the Gravemind's tentacles swoop him up. "This is not your grave, but you're welcome...in it." Beautiful.

Starts at 8:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EQR-n6Z7Kxk#t=520s

Delta Halo suite is god tier.

--

I went and played Episode 5 Chapter 5 of Spartan Ops in Matchmaking earlier today. That's a pretty good Halo mission, probably one of the best from the first half of the season. The population was something like this:

E1: 200
E2: 300
E3: 200
E4: 300
E5: 1400

My friends just had an awesome idea for a Halo spinoff:

- MGR:Revengeance gameplay

- Arbiter (doesn't have to be Thel, maybe a past or future Arbiter) main character

- Female elites DLC

I've always wanted to see a smaller spinoff game that's just totally left field for Halo. Halo Wars was a step in the right direction, but unfortunately was the wrong genre (I still enjoyed the game). Something like that would be super cool. I always wondered how an RPG or 3rd person tactical might work in the Halo universe.

GrizzNKev

Banned
My friends just had an awesome idea for a Halo spinoff:

- MGR:Revengeance gameplay

- starring an Arbiter (doesn't have to be Thel, maybe a past or future Arbiter) as main character

- Japanese text appears on the screen when he does stuff

- OOoooOO! Japanese voice when someone gets cut up

- Watercolor art style based on Halo Legends short

- Female elite waifus DLC

Fuchsdh

Delta Halo suite is god tier.

--

I went and played Episode 5 Chapter 5 of Spartan Ops in Matchmaking earlier today. That's a pretty good Halo mission, probably one of the best from the first half of the season. The population was something like this:

E1: 200
E2: 300
E3: 200
E4: 300
E5: 1400

It's possibly the longest Spartan Ops chapter, and featuring a boatload of Hunters for the weekly Spartan Ops challenge (and nearly infinite lasers to kill them) helped a bit too :p

This should appear somewhere in SpOps Season 1.5. During the big final confrontation of the season or something. Think about how awesome it would be.

Music is playing, then there's a record scratch sound and "HaloGAF demands it!" and Sacred Icon kicks in. *manly tears*

TCKaos

Music is playing, then there's a record scratch sound and "HaloGAF demands it!" and Sacred Icon kicks in. *manly tears*

Instead of a record scratch there should be two giant Forerunner ships shaped like closed fists flying out of slip space that collide in the sky, causing a giant explosion that rips the upper-most layer off of Requiem. A single tear is seen rolling down Sarah Palmer's cheek as she watches.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If you want to know what I really, really think is the best thing 343i has ever been responsible for, it's the Halo Legends Soundtrack.

Totally faithful to the original but magnificently orchestrated.

My heart flutters.

I can count on no hands the number of things I don't like about this music.

Predictable, possibly trite, but easily my favorite. All props to Marty, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnBYxrRyB4

Gonna go play some Halo now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing Halo 4 cause I miss Ozzy and want to wallow in misery. Come join me. GT = kittens dx.

I'm actually really enjoying the game as long as I don't take it too seriously. Kind of like Multi Team in Reach.

Ugh no. Neither of those two are even in the same league as Marty. Halo 4's soundtrack was a complete joke.

ODST still stands as one of the most unique sounding games in history.

It doesn't.

Seriously, the only standout music that I remember after beating the game was the menu music, the music used in the final level, and the credits music which was a remix of a theme that marty made.

They could have hired Jesper Kyd, Kevin Ripel, Rom Di Prisco, or a number of other composers who would have done a much better job than Davidige, who clearly doesn't have any real experience working with video games.

I think that's part of why I enjoyed the soundtrack, by contrast. It wasn't just a generic video gamey soundtrack with leads on top of bass riffs on top of acoustic percussion. Being into music production really helped me appreciate the fact that Davidge's tracks are on a very clearly higher budget; the acoustic instruments are smooth, organic and powerful. The effects, save for the obvious Bitcrusher and double-layering choral tracks for a minor digital-sounding flange in Revival, are pretty diverse and help keep things punctual and make tracks feel more like soundscapes than simple extensions of your implied badassery. The percussion, while not as "punchy" as the generic StormDrum hits that Marty became so heavily reliant on, is expansive, atmospheric and very clearly based in acoustic instruments. 8-bit percussion (the stuff that sounds like white noise/feedback) in Faithless is noticeably Bitcrushed acoustic percussion rather than just synthesized, which is a nice touch. Despite all of this, I'd honestly have to say Legacy, Nemesis and Desecration are my favorite tracks of his, in that order. Legacy is pretty titular; it's not talking about the Forerunners. Davidge is literally making a commentary on the track in that it's channeling the chanting from past games, it's just Bulgarian instead of Gregorian. Simple, clean, ominous and chilling. Nemesis probably sounds like the most video gamey track in the game save for Faithless (which loses points for sounding like a reject Halo Wars track), but keeps things spiced up enough to let you know some shit is going down. The call back to On a Pale Horse with the call-answer style of strings is a nice touch, too. Desecration is just straight-up channeling old epic Halo tracks and I love it. It also makes you wonder just what else Davidge could do with some punchier percussion, because it really illustrates how badass he can make things sound with it. Jinnouchi's stuff is good, but loses points for a few bits of the orchestra being synthesized (notably the heavy-attack trumpets near the beginning) and the percussion coming straight out of fucking Metroid Prime: Hunters.

You want to know why I'm not a bit fan of Marty's stuff anymore? The guy broke my heart. For the longest time I thought he was being unique with his percussion, I really did. But a few weeks ago I got the Native Instruments StormDrum plugin. I was going through and seeing just what it could do... and all of his percussion was coming from it.

All of Marty's percussion dating back to Halo 3 was coming from a software instrument library that came out in 2006 and all he had to do was make the keys line up.

It was like your dad being a star football player and then finding out he couldn't read.

I need a fucking drink, dude. And a hug. :(

Being able to throw the Oddball was such a good idea. I need to start playing that more.

Auto pickup breaks that mechanic. Being able to stop attackers by throwing the ball at them is a design flaw. I do enjoy the idea of throwing though. I think having Oddball (classic) and Keep Away (new settings no auto pickup) would be cool.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think that's part of why I enjoyed the soundtrack, by contrast. It wasn't just a generic video gamey soundtrack with leads on top of bass riffs on top of acoustic percussion. Being into music production really helped me appreciate the fact that Davidge's tracks are on a very clearly higher budget; the acoustic instruments are smooth, organic and powerful. The effects, save for the obvious Bitcrusher and double-layering choral tracks for a minor digital-sounding flange in Revival, are pretty diverse and help keep things punctual and make tracks feel more like soundscapes than simple extensions of your implied badassery. The percussion, while not as "punchy" as the generic StormDrum hits that Marty became so heavily reliant on, is expansive, atmospheric and very clearly based in acoustic instruments. 8-bit percussion (the stuff that sounds like white noise/feedback) in Faithless is noticeably Bitcrushed acoustic percussion rather than just synthesized, which is a nice touch. Despite all of this, I'd honestly have to say Legacy, Nemesis and Desecration are my favorite tracks of his, in that order. Legacy is pretty titular; it's not talking about the Forerunners. Davidge is literally making a commentary on the track in that it's channeling the chanting from past games, it's just Bulgarian instead of Gregorian. Simple, clean, ominous and chilling. Nemesis probably sounds like the most video gamey track in the game save for Faithless (which loses points for sounding like a reject Halo Wars track), but keeps things spiced up enough to let you know some shit is going down. The call back to On a Pale Horse with the call-answer style of strings is a nice touch, too. Desecration is just straight-up channeling old epic Halo tracks and I love it. It also makes you wonder just what else Davidge could do with some punchier percussion, because it really illustrates how badass he can make things sound with it. Jinnouchi's stuff is good, but loses points for a few bits of the orchestra being synthesized (notably the heavy-attack trumpets near the beginning) and the percussion coming straight out of fucking Metroid Prime: Hunters.

You want to know why I'm not a bit fan of Marty's stuff anymore? The guy broke my heart. For the longest time I thought he was being unique with his percussion, I really did. But a few weeks ago I got the Native Instruments StormDrum plugin. I was going through and seeing just what it could do... and all of his percussion was coming from it.

All of Marty's percussion dating back to Halo 3 was coming from a software instrument library that came out in 2006 and all he had to do was make the keys line up.

It was like your dad being a star football player and then finding out he couldn't read.

I need a fucking drink, dude. And a hug. :(

I'm involved in music production as well... yet for some reason none of that influences my opinion. When I judge music, I don't ask how it was created or how expensive it was to make or whether one tool was heavily used. I ask, how well did it achieve its goals, and does it work in the context of the game?

Marty's work screams yes. Halo 4... well not really.

PNut

Banned
A whole team of camping camo users. They can burn.

And once again, to the team mate that went 1-15

With all the things added into Halo 4, Inviz is by far the worst. Especially in Flag games. It's so miserable. Possibly worse than pre-TU armor lock in Reach. Slows the games down to a fucking snail's pace with people inviz/boltshot/sinper/shotgun/AA efficiency. I hope it's removed completely from MM soon.

Auto pickup breaks that mechanic. Being able to stop attackers by throwing the ball at them is a design flaw. I do enjoy the idea of throwing though. I think having Oddball (classic) and Keep Away (new settings no auto pickup) would be cool.
Auto pick up doesn't kill that mechanic. If anything it makes it possible. It would be pretty difficult to throw an oddball to your teammate and expect him to catch it if he had to perfectly time a button press with it. Throwing the ball at attackers isn't a design flaw, it's a tactic that spawned out of the mechanic. It hardly ruins oddball, it's just something you have to take into consideration when you attack the enemy ball carrier.

Gazzawa

at Shannon Airport. Moving to Aus right now.
Xand that deserves a post!
Make it a Kanye or Jay Z quote!
Wasn't I a good king?

FyreWulff

Had a fun day. Woke up to 5 different people trying to contact me through FB/twitter/email telling me that my stepdad had a stroke or anuerysm at work and was transported from one hospital to another for brain surgery. Was extremely frustrated that I was stuck in Canada. As the day went on they felt they could rule out the stroke, but my stepdad still has to stay in the ICU for 10 days and he's got blood on the brain behind his ear and the front of his head. They think it might have just been trauma from a fall now. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions today. I have enough money to get back to the States, but only to Seattle right across the border, so that wouldn't do me any good to get back home.

Then I went to McDs to feel better and a homeless guy tried to start a fight with me at the front door, then went in and tried to start a fight with the cashier, then tried to start a fight with me again when I left. He was just trying to outright demand a burger from them. The cashier actually offered to make him one of the cheaper value menu items but the guy started yelling "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU CALL ME" in reaction to nothing and stormed out. Oh Vancouver.

That's fyre's job. Heard he's been boozin too.

the fuck does this even mean

I'm involved in music production as well... yet for some reason none of that influences my opinion. When I judge music, I don't ask how it was created or how expensive it was to make or whether one tool was heavily used. I ask, how well did it achieve its goals, and does it work in the context of the game?

Pricing isn't the issue for me, it's a matter of how innovative it is. Davidge at least has to go and write music based on what acoustic tools he has at his disposal and use post-processing to get his desired effects. Marty's literally just using a WYSIWYG interface to add sounds that have already been orchestrated and post-processed for him. If you really want to get technical, Marty could probably have done most of his soundtracks using software instruments save for the upper-octave strings (cellos are pretty obviously faked), chorus, and saxophone. I just think that at this point, Davidge did a better job with Halo's music than Marty would have. ODST was the exception that proved the rule.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Had a fun day. Woke up to 5 different people trying to contact me through FB/twitter/email telling me that my stepdad had a stroke or anuerysm at work and was transported from one hospital to another for brain surgery. Was extremely frustrated that I was stuck in Canada. As the day went on they felt they could rule out the stroke, but my stepdad still has to stay in the ICU for 10 days and he's got blood on the brain behind his ear and the front of his head. They think it might have just been trauma from a fall now. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions today. I have enough money to get back to the States, but only to Seattle right across the border, so that wouldn't do me any good to get back home.

Then I went to McDs to feel better and a homeless guy tried to start a fight with me at the front door, then went in and tried to start a fight with the cashier, then tried to start a fight with me again when I left. He was just trying to outright demand a burger from them. The cashier actually offered to make him one of the cheaper value menu items but the guy started yelling "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU CALL ME" in reaction to nothing and stormed out. Oh Vancouver.

Damn, sorry to hear. Hope he (and you as well) get feeling better soon.
edit: and I'm pretty sure Homeboyd was joking

FyreWulff

Damn, sorry to hear. Hope he (and you as well) get feeling better soon.
edit: and I'm pretty sure Homeboyd was joking

okay I think my response to homeboyd reads more serious than I intended now. ha

Sorry about your stepdad, Fyre. Hope all turns out well.

Yeah. At this point it has re-solidified my resolve to use my new job to pay off my mom's house within the year so mom and stepdad can take it easier going forward.

Zocano

I ask, how well did it achieve its goals, and does it work in the context of the game?

I think a lot of this just came out of the weird dichotomy the game (I guess specifically Davidge's goals) faced in trying to stay 'Halo' and try to be a new and different experience. I definitely believe none of the music really felt 'Halo' to me though I don't think it ever was *bad*.

117's probably the best example of this where it really got me pumped up and, maybe atmospheric is the wrong word, but it fit the very action-y sequence taking place. Not too far after that sequence when
you're making your way to Didact across the three platforms
and the main theme kicks in, it helped play into the tension and drive going on.

However, I still never got a "halo" feel out of either of those moments. The only time the music felt like Halo was the monk chanting popping up for three seconds and then it's gone out the window (and the credits music, too). I'm definitely not musically inclined enough to be able to pick out themes or sounds in a library of music (or at least I don't think I am), but, I'd say the monk chanting has been the thing to stick with me most and having that be so few and far between just sort of left the music feeling very empty and "not-Halo" to me.

Again, I think the music on its own is quite alright but it's hard for me to accept it especially when I come into Halo 4 wanting more Halo (and receiving very little payout as far as the music is concerned).

On a side note, Hi, HaloGAF. Account got activated not too long ago, so I thought I'd make my first post here since I've been lurking the Halo OTs for far too long.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah. At this point it has re-solidified my resolve to use my new job to pay off my mom's house within the year so mom and stepdad can take it easier going forward.
You're a good man.
I think a lot of this just came out of the weird dichotomy the game (I guess specifically Davidge's goals) faced in trying to stay 'Halo' and try to be a new and different experience. I definitely believe none of the music really felt 'Halo' to me though I don't think it ever was *bad*.

117's probably the best example of this where it really got me pumped up and, maybe atmospheric is the wrong word, but it fit the very action-y sequence taking place. Not too far after that sequence when
and the main theme kicks in, it helped play into the tension and drive going on.

However, I still never got a "halo" feel out of either of those moments. The only time the music felt like Halo was the monk chanting popping up for three seconds and then it's gone out the window (and the credits music, too). I'm definitely not musically inclined enough to be able to pick out themes or sounds in a library of music (or at least I don't think I am), but, I'd say the monk chanting has been the thing to stick with me most and having that be so few and far between just sort of left the music feeling very empty and "not-Halo" to me.

Again, I think the music on its own is quite alright but it's hard for me to accept it especially when I come into Halo 4 wanting more Halo (and receiving very little payout as far as the music is concerned).

On a side note, Hi, HaloGAF. Account got activated not too long ago, so I thought I'd make my first post here since I've been lurking the Halo OTs for far too long.
Hey there!

malfcn

Why the fuck are team mates spraying their AR from a football field away thinking it will provide an assist? Team mates make me cry in this game. Here is my imagination of what the population is becoming.

The hardcore fans are staying,
and the worst players are staying.
Everyone in the middle is sick of either being dominated, or playing with morons.

Wow! Will keep you and your stepfather in my thoughts and prayers.

GrizzNKev

Banned

My dad went through some tough times and surgery during the break. It really sucks. Hope everything goes well.

Pricing isn't the issue for me, it's a matter of how innovative it is. Davidge at least has to go and write music based on what acoustic tools he has at his disposal and use post-processing to get his desired effects. Marty's literally just using a WYSIWYG interface to add sounds that have already been orchestrated and post-processed for him. If you really want to get technical, Marty could probably have done most of his soundtracks using software instruments save for the upper-octave strings (cellos are pretty obviously faked), chorus, and saxophone. I just think that at this point, Davidge did a better job with Halo's music than Marty would have. ODST was the exception that proved the rule.

I don't want this to go in circles, but my answer is still the same. The only thing I'm concerned with is the delivery. I do understand where you're coming from though, I know doing what Davidge does takes a great deal of effort but I don't really think he 'got' what it means to make game music.

Hi there. I love talking music.

The only piece of music I really liked in this game was the credit music. Where it played a Never Forget remix and then switched to 117. It worked so well with the emotional ending.

I highly credit that being good though to them using Never Forget, one of the best pieces of work in any Halo game.

HaloGAF, question. What's your favorite/favorites music from the Halo sountrack?

Mine is either Finale from Halo 3:ODST. Or Deference for Darkness from ODST as well.

I really do think ODST had the best soundtrack in the franchise.

Top Bottom