• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

All you guys talking about XboxConnect and playing Halo 2 online almost make me feel like downloading it.

Is there a chance of being banned from Xbox Live for doing this? Can Microsoft detect it? Those things are keeping me from doing it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
All you guys talking about XboxConnect and playing Halo 2 online almost make me feel like downloading it.

Is there a chance of being banned from Xbox Live for doing this? Can Microsoft detect it? Those things are keeping me from doing it.

Nah, no risk at all. The site says it's legal as well.

How about for placing the sound effects in 3d space relative to the camera? is there anything easier than having to play around with pan like i had to do? Something that would hopefully give the right delay between ears so that it sounds right? I think all those mixcraft things you mention also exist or have similar components in audacity.

I'm not sure how you're doing it already exactly, but rather than assign a single "pan" value I'd have two audio tracks: make both identical. One 100% for left ear and one 100% for right. Modify the volume rather than the pan. That way, rather than simply having it move from ear to ear, it can have a mix of balances, presumably with both at 50% volume so at its loudest it would only be at a standard volume. I know I keep plugging Mixcraft but I don't have much experience with other audio programs and it's pretty simple to do--you're effectively just adding "anchor points," so to speak, onto the track itself and you can assign volume values to the hundredths.

Going further than that, it's hard to say what the easiest thing to do to convey three-dimensional movement would be, since panning only does left and right. If you want to get even more complicated you could have four tracks:
1. LEFT, Equalizer - Cut Bass
2. LEFT, Equalizer - Cut Mids & Highs
3. RIGHT, Equalizer - Cut Bass
4. RIGHT, Equalizer - Cut Mids & Highs

With the basses effectively being "backs" and mid & high tracks being "fronts," you could do four-point movement. That would probably take an ungodly amount of time to do properly though.

Korosenai

Halo 3 is my favorite game.

Side note, I really want to dive into a great single player game. Any suggestions?

Halo 3 is best Halo.

I still play it pretty much everyday.

Also, Halo 2 on XBC is a blast. Always people on it to play with. I wish I could still play it but my pc broke last June and I now have a mac.

Computron

I'm not sure how you're doing it already exactly, but rather than assign a single "pan" value I'd have two audio tracks: make both identical. One 100% for left ear and one 100% for right. Modify the volume rather than the pan. That way, rather than simply having it move from ear to ear, it can have a mix of balances, presumably with both at 50% volume so at its loudest it would only be at a standard volume. I know I keep plugging Mixcraft but I don't have much experience with other audio programs and it's pretty simple to do--you're effectively just adding "anchor points," so to speak, onto the track itself and you can assign volume values to the hundredths.

Going further than that, it's hard to say what the easiest thing to do to convey three-dimensional movement would be, since panning only does left and right. If you want to get even more complicated you could have four tracks:
1. LEFT, Equalizer - Cut Bass
2. LEFT, Equalizer - Cut Mids & Highs
3. RIGHT, Equalizer - Cut Bass
4. RIGHT, Equalizer - Cut Mids & Highs

With the basses effectively being "backs" and mid & high tracks being "fronts," you could do four-point movement. That would probably take an ungodly amount of time to do properly though.

I new from the start that pan was the wrong way to do it, but I wasn't sure of other ways. I like your suggestion, though.

I posted my method a bit earlier and like I said, it is tedious. That why I feel like there has got to be a better way to do it. My googling is failing me though, I wonder how foley artists do it for films? If their doing it manually for surround sound this way they would go mad. :p

I'mma have to look around some more and try out your method.

Blehhh, online gaming. Not a good night.

Lagnarok, Exile, Lagnarok, Lagnarok, Exile, Exile, Lagnarok, Longbow.

2 lagtastic matches and then we finally get Longbow and I get booted off Xbox Live. Match history only shows one match on Lagnarok, but it lies through its teeth.

A couple nights like this and that's all she wrote.

MIMIC

Banned
Typical assholes, stealing kills while you assassinate someone.

I don't understand why people even go for assassinations. You leave yourself completely vulnerable to the opposing team. And, like you said, you can have your kill stolen.

malfcn

Holy shit, BTB match and there was nothing but respawning. You would be killed, and the screen would just show you being killed again and again and again and again because the lag was so bad.

malfcn

I don't understand why people even go for assassinations. You leave yourself completely vulnerable to the opposing team. And, like you said, you can have your kill stolen.

Sometimes the game forces them. I have tapped melee and initiated one before, when I didn't want to.

Holy shit, BTB match and there was nothing but respawning. You would be killed, and the screen would just show you being killed again and again and again and again because the lag was so bad.
I had a SAW global ordnance spawn that I ran to and got a boltshot instead (?). In the next match I call down a sniper rifle and the ordnance lands, but won't actually pop open for about 15 seconds.

Strange, frustrating night.

I don't understand why people even go for assassinations.
Feels good. Only thing better than an aerial assassination is an aerial assassination retribution :)

XBC Halo 2 is a blast. Not quite as good as 3 imo, but damn fun. Button glitches are still dumb though.

I tried CE, but imput lag ruined it. Definitely going to play again tomorrow.
It is a shame you never got to experience true online with Halo 2. Truly the best Halo game online. Halo 3 is just Halo 2 with slower movement speed and a worse BR (among a few other changes) in a much more expansive sandbox. Halo 3's sandbox was awesome but going from the laser accurate hitscan BR and quicker movement to Halo 3 was tough for me.

My absolute favorite scene in Halo 4. Chief is walking through and everyone stops and just watches. The way they shoot it makes him appear so much larger than everyone else too. Such a fantastic moment.

iDEqYem3k6pjX.png

i8eRtBtFYwIMM.png

ibvJEvwBtSE2SS.png

MIMIC

Banned
Feels good. Only thing better than an aerial assassination is an aerial assassination retribution :)

I suppose.

I mostly play SWAT now (still lovin it) and whenever I'm killed from behind, it's an assassination 99% of the time. But 80% of the time, that person is then immediately taken out by my teammate :)

I think the only time I've done an assassination was when the game was lagging major balls. I was just running around mindlessly....waiting for it to end. Saw a guy and figured, "Might as well."

I had a SAW global ordnance spawn that I ran to and got a boltshot instead (?).

I would guess someone got to it before you but the waypoint didn't go away when they picked it up.

My absolute favorite scene in Halo 4. Chief is walking through and everyone stops and just watches. The way they shoot it makes him appear so much larger than everyone else too. Such a fantastic moment.

Too bad that new armor makes him look damn near anorexic.

blamite

I just reached SR129 today, new SpOps and the forge playlist will probbaly push me to 130 by the end of the week. I'm not looking forward to the sad realization of just how much the progression system gets me to keep playing. :/

I just reached SR129 today, new SpOps and the forge playlist will probbaly push me to 130 by the end of the week. I'm not looking forward to the sad realization of just how much the progression system gets me to keep playing. :/

hope for a new specializations dlc pack. ;)

I've been stuck at 109 for weeks now. I just haven't found the motivation to keep playing this game. I actually just normally leave my Xbox on and away for hours and browse NeoGAF or other internet forums while on the main menu of Halo 4, away for hours.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just got done playing two hours of Halo 4. Really enjoying it. I... don't know what's happening to me.

Why'd you add a :p to my post? Don't put emoticons in my mouth.
:p

Damn. Where do you live? Around here a 1BR apartment is $1000 and up, and living with three other people I'm still paying about $700 when utilities are included. Such is the price of living right near transit and the city.
Portland, OR. Rent is cheap here for being a (small) city. I live in a three bedroom victorian house right in the middle of the city. We've got one person in each room, a couple living in the attic, and I'm in the basement. So rent is dirt cheap, plus utilities are split six ways. I love it, even if I have to put up with the occassional hippie dance party (which is currently raging upstairs, and not as annoying as I would have expected).

FyreWulff

Damn. Where do you live? Around here a 1BR apartment is $1000 and up, and living with three other people I'm still paying about $700 when utilities are included. Such is the price of living right near transit and the city.

I'm hoping Bioshock is good. I didn't really like the actual gameplay of the first two games, I was just a sucker for the interesting locations.

I would love for an unlockable pacifist mode in games like Halo where you can just wander around the levels and explore without getting shot at.

Back in Nebraska, I was renting an entire 2BR house for 600$ a month.

Now in Vancouver. Rent is 1400$ a month for a small 2BR apartment that's essentially two bedrooms, then a small hallway and a living room with a kitchen in the corner of it. Split between me and the roommate, still 700$ / month.

THE PAIN

Also everything closes at night here wtf

Madness

Hitting sr-130 is nowhere close to the insane amount of time that inheritor required. I think after all my time with reach, I didn't even hit general because I stopped playing for a long time. And yet I've just been playing Halo 4 casually and am at 90 something since launch.

Once you hit 50, each specialization only takes as long as 1-30 took so it's not too hard. With the new playlists coming soon and the TU if I play even semi regularly, I'll hit 130.

Top Bottom