• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Madness

Back in Nebraska, I was renting an entire 2BR house for 600$ a month.

Now in Vancouver. Rent is 1400$ a month for a small 2BR apartment that's essentially two bedrooms, then a small hallway and a living room with a kitchen in the corner of it. Split between me and the roommate, still 700$ / month.

THE PAIN

Also everything closes at night here wtf

That's Canada for you. You shouldve looked for a place outside the downtown core and just skytrain it in when you need to. Prices have skyrocketed the past 15 years in every city though.

Shadders

Still so disappointed we didn't see the other Spartan 2s :(

Or at least heard about them ..

I'm surprised by that too, the prologue seemed to set up Halsey being in the campaign story too. After the Kilo-Five books I thought we might have heard from Port Stanley and Naomi, it felt like it was setting that up in the books with Naomi asking about John.

It still feels like they're not properly embracing the expanded universe in the way that they could.

I hit SR-91 last night. The main thing that's driving me on at this point is visor colours. :lol

Just looking around the Virgin Gaming website, and I notice that Halo 4 isn't even in their supported games section. http://virgingaming.com/go/chooseXBox360Game.do

Erm...

FyreWulff

That's Canada for you. You shouldve looked for a place outside the downtown core and just skytrain it in when you need to. Prices have skyrocketed the past 15 years in every city though.

I'm not even in the downtown core. South of False Creek.

I wish we had something like the Skytrain back home.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Skytrain is pretty much the only thing I'll miss when I leave this city for good in April. Waiting out a lease on a place pretty much the same as Fyre's.

So it seems iv lost my Halo 4 disc... No idea where it is Checked all recent played boxes and my plastic sleeves and nothing.

If someone stole it then I bet they regret it

GrizzNKev

Banned
So it seems iv lost my Halo 4 disc... No idea where it is Checked all recent played boxes and my plastic sleeves and nothing.

If someone stole it then I bet the regret it

do you want my signed copy

it's signed by one of the sandbox designers

you definitely don't want it

you can't have it

I paid for DLC I don't want

I'll probably play it anyway

and the rest of Spartan Ops even though I don't want to

why

1777805-sad_master_chief_super.jpg

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm playing the campaign.
I have no idea what's happening.

If you haven't read the books you're out of luck.

:)

According to the terminals in Halo 3, the Didact was responsible for activating the Halos and his lover, the Librarian, was responsible for collecting samples of all life in the galaxy so that it may be reseeded after the Halos fired.

Obviously the story has become a bit more complicated since then.

I'm playing the campaign.
I have no idea what's happening.

343 tried too hard at making everything fit together, I think. It's really cool of them that they tried to cater to the book-reading fanbase, but as a result they made the story really muddled.

I still wish Halo 4 could've been the lone, solitary journey across Requiem the first concept art was hinting at. Just the Chief and Cortana, traversing Requiem, encountering the Prometheans, learning more about Forerunner (and Human) history, activating an emergency beacon that eventually summons Infinity... And at the end, accidentally awakening the Didact from his slumber, setting him up as an antagonist for the remaining two parts of the trilogy.

Assuming people will have read the books and/or have the drive to go look for the Terminals and then load up Waypoint to actually watch them is a big flaw on 343's part, but Bungie wasn't exactly innocent of this, either. People didn't understand how only firing Installation 04(B) could wipe out the Flood until they read the terminals, which explained that the Gravemind, when threatened, calls all of the Flood biomass to it to protect itself.

Madness

Yup, great story! Way to go Bungie! They truly are a great company with great people. boy gets well soon and is stronger than ever. Also, hope the When the little guy gets better, he and mini-Chief can dress up together on Halloween. The helmet looks perfect on him.

Anyone know what Christine does at Bungie? I remember reading a few times and she always helps when it comes to charities etc.

Moa

I'm not one to bitch about the game here, but this is more Halo in general.

Who's idea was it to have maps biased towards one team in a team playlist that isn't 1 Flag or something like that?

The fact I can sometimes lose because the opening rush is in favour of the other team if a joke :/

Who's idea was it to have maps biased towards one team in a team playlist that isn't 1 Flag or something like that?

The fact I can sometimes lose because the opening rush is in favour of the other team if a joke :/

I don't think we've ever had 2 flag-CTF on asymmetrical maps in previous Halo games. It still boggles my mind that people at 343 thought CTF would work well on Complex or Abandon.

Moa

I don't think we've ever had 2 flag-CTF on asymmetrical maps in previous Halo games. It still boggles my mind that people at 343 thought CTF would work well on Complex or Abandon.

Like, I've just played a game of SWAT on Abandon, and my team spawned top side, I ran to ring 3, shot two guys, then they respawned instantly at the beach, and I killed them again for the Overkill.

They are at a massive disadvantage from the start, it sucks.

Madness

Just look at Exile in infinity big team... You have the blue team less than 5 feet from the gauss cannon while the Red Team barely makes it to the tank if they're lucky.

Whenever I play on blue, we either have some guy use mongoose to make it to the tank and board it or at least try and take it first. Sometimes, the guy who gets the gauss cannon can get the guys running to tank.

Throughout the whole match blue is almost always guaranteed gauss cannon, while they still have a decent chance for tank and banshee. Whereas red is at a disadvantage.

Then you have two flag on abandon. One team gets the safety of the buildings, the other is at the bottom in the open field.

FyreWulff

This has been going on since Halo 2. The theme is "fuck Blue Team"

Omni

Ohmygod.

It's taken basically all day of non-stop playing and AFKing on public servers, but I finally just got the Rainman achievement. That's 1000/1000 for Halo 2: Vista.

What a pain in the ass to get though. So many gametypes (didn't help that I lagged out twice during).

Its just science

Abstract

In the 2004 Olympic Games, opponents wearing red athletic uniforms were more likely to win against opponents wearing blue uniforms. To investigate whether this color bias extends to the world of virtual competition, we compared the performance of red and blue teams in a popular multiplayer first-person-shooter (FPS) computer game. For 3 consecutive months, we collected data from a publicly available global statistics server. Outcomes from 1,347 matches played by the top 10 players on the same virtual arena were included. Red teams won 54.9% of matches, and this effect was highly significant. Our data suggest that joining the red team may offer a slight advantage over the blue team in virtual competition, and this should be accounted for when designing FPS games. It is likely that “seeing red” may trigger a powerful psychological distractor signal in human aggressive competition that can affect the outcome of sports and virtual contests alike.

A., Ioan, S., Zagrean, L., & Moldovan, M. (2008). Better to be red than blue in virtual competition. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 11(3), 375-377.

The Game was UT 2004

Just look at Exile in infinity big team... You have the blue team less than 5 feet from the gauss cannon while the Red Team barely makes it to the tank if they're lucky.

Whenever I play on blue, we either have some guy use mongoose to make it to the tank and board it or at least try and take it first. Sometimes, the guy who gets the gauss cannon can get the guys running to tank.

Throughout the whole match blue is almost always guaranteed gauss cannon, while they still have a decent chance for tank and banshee. Whereas red is at a disadvantage.

Then you have two flag on abandon. One team gets the safety of the buildings, the other is at the bottom in the open field.
I've never played a game on Exile where the gauss hog lasted more than like 30 seconds before getting plasma pistol'd+plasma grenaded. The tank on the other hand lasts forever

Omni

I read the books and I still had no idea what was going on.

Really?

On the contrary, after reading the books I felt like I knew too much. There was nothing terribly surprisingly about Halo 4's campaign and it seemed like it was pretty straight forward to follow (well except for the whole hardlight room thingy at the end of the game... still not sure what the hell happened)

Striker

That was the common theme for maps built for 1-flag and such.

Instead, in Halo 4, it's like that without the excuse built-in for 1-flag design. Here's some questions: why was Exile not built with symmetrical bases, why can't they just use two chaingun Hogs/Ghost/Mongoose instead of a Scorpion, Gauss, and Banshee, and why not throw in some proper ordnance drops that make sense? No, instead, it's a wholly mess. And that's just one map of all the issues with the rest of them. When we saw the preview shots of Exile, many liked it (except the ground textures, lulz) but looking at it now, and uh...

Halo's story has really...um, changed since 343 took over.

Case in point the Flood's origin is now that they were space dust that human put on their dogs to make the more docile.

Omni

Case in point the Flood's origin is now that they were space dust that human put on their dogs to make the more docile.

Been a while since I read the books... but didn't the Precursors create the Flood once the Forerunner chased them out of the galaxy? Some have suggested that Precursors and Graveminds are even one and the same. I know the humans came into contact with the Flood from a powder, but that was after the Precursors had already left.

How has that changed from Halo's story in 1-3? Its origin was never given in the original trilogy, only that the Flood was extragalactic in origin. The Flood is still extra-galactic in origin in 343's expansion of the universe. Also, the summary you provided is but one small part of the Flood's overall story.

I think it was TDM (Wargames matchmaking) on complex.

Apparently I don't know how to link to halo waypoint.

What power weapons are there on the map? I won't expect to find dmr or battle rifle lying about as I put that in my loadout from the start?

FyreWulff

That was the common theme for maps built for 1-flag and such.

Instead, in Halo 4, it's like that without the excuse built-in for 1-flag design. Here's some questions: why was Exile not built with symmetrical bases, why can't they just use two chaingun Hogs/Ghost/Mongoose instead of a Scorpion, Gauss, and Banshee, and why not throw in some proper ordnance drops that make sense? No, instead, it's a wholly mess. And that's just one map of all the issues with the rest of them. When we saw the preview shots of Exile, many liked it (except the ground textures, lulz) but looking at it now, and uh...

Coag 2 Flag:

Taking a flag out of blue base: you were immediately in a rockfall that cut off the firing lines from red defense base. Once you made it out of the rockfall you were essentially home free as Red respawning teammates could engage and protect the flag carrier off-spawn and had a cliff top they could snipe from as well. Blue spawners had a big hill in the middle of the map, so if you ran it out the front door, you just had to make it over the hill and you were good.

Taking a flag out of red base: Wide open porter exit. You could go in the cave, but Red can easily just go to the other exit and cut you off. Then it's a long trek around an exposed ledge from snipe and BR fire.

Beaver Creek:

Red Team has direct access to the top of the rock arch and the sniper rifle from their base under a decent amount of cover. Blue has to walk up the rock arch, exposed, to get the rockets.

Avalanche:

Red side has much more cover. Blue side is an open killing field.

Top Bottom