• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

rakka

Beaver Creek:

Red Team has direct access to the top of the rock arch and the sniper rifle from their base under a decent amount of cover. Blue has to walk up the rock arch, exposed, to get the rockets

yes but the overshield was at the bottom of the arch :)

even as red I'd go for OS out the front entrance and then up the arch for rockets at the beginning.

not really that much of an advantage imo

Striker

Coag 2 Flag:
I never felt like that was a big issue. Each team had coverage and you either took a longer route to get the provided cover, or you took something shorter in hope to get assistance by allies. In reference to Exile, it at least has the same exact base design so you knew how it was getting defended and the amount of exists you can take once you're inside.

Exile red base, has a lift which directs you straight upward to the middle of the base.

Exile blue base is a small, enclosed area that has a ramp where players can easily sit while enemies walk in with their pants down.

Red Team has direct access to the top of the rock arch and the sniper rifle from their base under a decent amount of cover. Blue has to walk up the rock arch, exposed, to get the rockets.
Both sides had ramps, one which led to the rock arch, and other to an exposed cliff where a Sniper tend to sit. There was the Rocket/Sniper duel along with players rushing OS and the teleporters were quick for players to jump to the other side and flank the opposing Sniper/RL player.

Not at all the same design like it would be in something like Warlock or Midship but it never felt out of hand in which many cases it does here. Or for further inexcusable decisions: CTF Complex, CTF Abandon, and the jungle base in Solace. To put it all in context, the maps and gametype combos in this game flatout stink. It feels like one separate team designed one thing, and another designed the other. and then they pasted them together.

Madness

During my lurking, all of the praise for the walking dead is why I bought them during the sale. Have to say it's truly one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. Even if they only gave me the illusion of choice it felt like I made the decisions. Can't wait for season 2. Hopefully with all the money they make, they can iron out some of the bugs and make the game a bit more smoother.

Ghazi

Yeah, it is pretty bad and Halo 4 was just an extension of it. I still haven't read Primordium because Cryptum just left me frustrated.

Cryptum was alright compared to Primordium; in Primordium you get to read nearly 200 pages of Chakas just walking around
on a Halo ring.

Didn't 343 say they were adding some kid who passed away's name onto a list/registry in-game? I don't think I ever saw anything remotely like that unless it was an easter egg on a UNSC computer or something.

Maybe there's a tribute room we haven't found yet.

Liberty4all

Banned
I was going through my storage and found some Halo memorabilia. Both were give aways at X08 and X10 Canada and are Official MS Limited Edition prints. Thought they are pretty cool so going to share:

Halo 3:

7418505560_6bc55145d5.jpg

Halo ODST:

I wonder if they would be worth anything? Canada Master Chief for the win lol.

Rev3rb

Didn't 343 say they were adding some kid who passed away's name onto a list/registry in-game? I don't think I ever saw anything remotely like that unless it was an easter egg on a UNSC computer or something.

Maybe there's a tribute room we haven't found yet.

I'm pretty sure they were in the credits. There were quite a few actually.

Fotos

Just played a game where the other team won 60-59. But I added up the kills and they didnt match.

Other Team:

My Team:

We lost?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I swear to god some of these kids are using a lagswitch. First half it goes pretty great, we are winning. Second half a bunch of black screens, and magically they come back. Yeah, when I have to put 20 bullets in them, melee them 3000 times and still not get the kill no wonder they won. Fucking left. Garbage.
It can't be helped, I'd comment on the silky smooth networking and how the lag surely had to have been all in your head, but I'd be squeezing the blood out of the tombstone of a dead horse.

So I'll just say TERA is going F2P soon, look at dem colours:

I swear to god some of these kids are using a lagswitch. First half it goes pretty great, we are winning. Second half a bunch of black screens, and magically they come back. Yeah, when I have to put 20 bullets in them, melee them 3000 times and still not get the kill no wonder they won. Fucking left. Garbage.

I get games like that too. Or games which are just awful all around with massive delay when trying to sprint or throw a grenade.

Just played a game where the other team won 60-59. But I added up the kills and they didnt match.

Other Team:

My Team:

We lost?

Maybe someone quit out on your team with a death? Or someone on their team quit out with 1 kill.?

https://www.bungie.net/en-US/View/community/Forum/Post?id=47677094

This ladies & gentlemen, is why Bungie is an amazing company.

That's a completely heartwarming and breath taking story. The kid is so brave to endure surgery at such a young age, and he's father is an amazing dad for trying to contact Bungie and make his little spartan happy.

Bungie is just incredible for not only visiting, but giving him a perfect replica of Carter's helmet, and the shirts, and the get well soon card. Seriously, everything in that story is just so nice and perfect. Good on all 3 of them.

This is why I love Bungie more than any other developer, I actually feel they mean it when they say "<3 Bungie" and stories like this show that it's true.

TheOddOne

I don't feel like that is the place to get salty, I would say it’s even inappropriate. It's about the boy and Bungie for being so awesome.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I was going through my storage and found some Halo memorabilia. Both were give aways at X08 and X10 Canada and are Official MS Limited Edition prints. Thought they are pretty cool so going to share:

Halo 3:

Halo ODST:

I wonder if they would be worth anything? Canada Master Chief for the win lol.

Those are kick-ass dude. Keep them for sure.

Playing Killzone 2 for the first time.

Graphics are pretty great
AI is amazingly unforgiving

Once you get the controls down it is a really great experience. The Helghast are really fun to fight. Their AI paired with the great hit response makes them a joy to duke it out with. Guerrilla also nailed the atmosphere.

Maybe 343 should make it up to them by removing AAs from the next game. Get rid of jetpack altogether.

In all honesty, it's not impossible or even hard to get the angry fans back. It's actually a really easy and simple thing to do. Launch the game with the classic Halo formula as the main priority (meaning you can spawn Armor Abilities in Forge, or assign them in custom games. Give options to turn off or give bloom (and how much) in custom games. Give option to play and having weapon drops spawn ala ordnance drops (but still keep the default weapon spawning how it was in Halo 2/Halo 3) or even just launch the game with the Classic Halo formula as a side playstyle, with "Classic" playlists available at launch, day one.

Also, ranked playlist.

That's all they really need to do to make fans happy again.

Kuroyume

Banned
Playing Killzone 2 for the first time.

Graphics are pretty great
AI is amazingly unforgiving

I love that game. Multiplayer was amazing before the stupid patches. Shame KZ3 sucked. I believe KZ3 multi is free on PSN so you may want to check that out... Haven't turned on my PS3 in AGES so not sure.

Anyway single player KZ2 is wonderful. As you mentioned the AI is pretty damn tough. The last level and boss fight will drive you mad... Can't recall what difficult I played it on though.

Fuchsdh

In all honesty, it's not impossible or even hard to get the angry fans back. It's actually a really easy and simple thing to do. Launch the game with the classic Halo formula as the main priority (meaning you can spawn Armor Abilities in Forge, or assign them in custom games. Give options to turn off or give bloom (and how much) in custom games. Give option to play and having weapon drops spawn ala ordnance drops (but still keep the default weapon spawning how it was in Halo 2/Halo 3) or even just launch the game with the Classic Halo formula as a side playstyle, with "Classic" playlists available at launch, day one.

Also, ranked playlist.

You're joking, right?

You cannot and will never please anyone, and you will never get all the angry fans back. Especially if you require a hostage negotiation of features.

They will either make a game you want to play, or they won't. No one is forcing you to play.

J10

Banned

Also, ranked playlist.

I agree with most folks here that the sandbox had become muddled.

Maybe I'm crazy, but armor abilities seem like an all or nothing kind of thing. You can't really treat them as powerups because you have to dedicate an entire button to them, so having them merely as pickups seems wasteful; like with Halo 3's equipment you had large chunks of a game where the X-button did nothing. That button could otherwise be put to better use.

Either you gotta get rid of them completely and free up that button, or you give everybody the same single armor ability as a base player trait; and that ability is:
Thruster Pack.
Or whichever one is the least troublesome to Halo's style.

CyReN

I wouldn't say that they deserve it...

Yea that's a bit mean, people respect their work and their communication before release but now it's become a sick joke at this point. It just sucks that there was somewhat a "strong promise" and future for the Halo series suddenly diminished in the last few months.

Well at least there's Spartan Ops tomorrow I guess.

edit: Oh and the Forge Playlist.

You're joking, right?

You cannot and will never please anyone, and you will never get all the angry fans back. Especially if you require a hostage negotiation of features.

They will either make a game you want to play, or they won't. No one is forcing you to play.

Which is entirely the point of making Halo 5 have both styles of play. You can either play Halo 5 with Halo 2/3 style of gameplay, or you can play it with Halo:Reach/Halo 4 style of gameplay. Appease both sections of the fanbase. Make both of them want to play it. You'd have to divide the community, yes, but that's better then sectioning off and abandoning one part of the community.

FyreWulff

Trust Us™
Another Waypoint thread.

"I shouldn't have to wait "until next week, month, or soon" for my favorite playlist to be released. Because if I dare call it my favorite playlist, it's because it was there in the past Halo games, and also appreciated by some people. So why is it gone now?"

I'm willing to bet this person's "favorite playlist" wasn't at the launch of either Halo 2 or Halo 3, either. People don't understand the playerbase conditions are different at launch vs post launch support

Fotos

Anyone else excited for Spartan Ops and the Forge playlist tomorrow? Hopefully I will start playing Halo 4 more after tomorrow.

CyReN

"I shouldn't have to wait "until next week, month, or soon" for my favorite playlist to be released. Because if I dare call it my favorite playlist, it's because it was there in the past Halo games, and also appreciated by some people. So why is it gone now?"

I'm willing to bet this person's "favorite playlist" wasn't at the launch of either Halo 2 or Halo 3, either. People don't understand the playerbase conditions are different at launch vs post launch support

You would think after 3 Xbox Live Halo games it would be a no brainer to have Team Doubles, BTB Obj, Team Snipers, Team SWAT, etc. Especially by those that "love Halo".

The thing that bothers me about the whole rotating playlist idea is they make it like it's a "treat" or "reward" to be added but pisses off most of the fan base, it's like a easy way to make it like it's adding something when it really isn't. (I get Forge Playlist, MLG, etc in those regards)

Top Bottom