• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

CyReN

Microsoft trolls Oozer. A story in three parts.

u4hKpOx.jpg

"Sweet! These maps looked fun!"

xvfxaQK.jpg

"Awesome, I'm going to have them a couple days early!"

dIV7TD6.jpg

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

amazing.

Madness

Immediately they should make sure games don't start unless they are full or at best equal. The countdown should stop if someone backs out. And then, they shouldn't have JiP for games over 40% done already. So many games I've joined just to lose within ten seconds.

And JiP should never be used for any ranked playlist. Penalize any quitter with a loss in rank. If you have connection problems, don't join ranked. I hated having to carry a 3 man team only to lose and go down in rank because someone quit. Or make it so if you quit a ranked game, you can't join another until that one is finished.

JackHerer

Immediately they should make sure games don't start unless they are full or at best equal. The countdown should stop if someone backs out. And then, they shouldn't have JiP for games over 40% done already. So many games I've joined just to lose within ten seconds.

And JiP should never be used for any ranked playlist. Penalize any quitter with a loss in rank. If you have connection problems, don't join ranked. I hated having to carry a 3 man team only to lose and go down in rank because someone quit. Or make it so if you quit a ranked game, you can't join another until that one is finished.

Agreed. There needs to be a harsh quit penalty for ranked playlists and any other playlists without JIP.

Nebula

Agreed. There needs to be a harsh quit penalty for ranked playlists and any other playlists without JIP.

Let's not forget that it needs to come with an obvious warning to the player, either in the playlist description, or as a pop up message. It should clearly state that quitting will be a punishable offence, with your rank suffering if you choose to quit a game.

Also I'll be goosing soon I think. Watching some clips made me feel all warm inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka7WSLax4q4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHICGWkXMq8

They're both triple splatters I have had... But I need MOAR!

JackHerer

Let's not forget that it needs to come with an obvious warning to the player, either in the playlist description, or as a pop up message. It should clearly state that quitting will be a punishable offence, with your rank suffering if you choose to quit a game.

Yeah. It should be like Halo 3. "Quitting is greatly discouraged in the UNSC" or something like that. Maybe even more specific.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm sure that there are people who don't care for the consequences either way.

Rank in Halo 3 didn't mean much to me. I suck at the game. I'm a 42, but there was no way I'm going to be 50. So I didn't care about the games I quit out on.

Fuchsdh

Cool trailer, these maps seem decent.

So 343 did what exactly? Provide feedback?

Maps look decent gamplay wise, player wasn't great though.

And why the fuck are the UNSC maps plain white, forge looking maps again? It looks so fucking boring and bad. Once again, the skybox looks amazing, and the actual battleground looks generic. Fucking Certain Affinity.

Too bad the interior art didn't get that level of attention..

That is a nice skybox.

Could everyone who considers human architecture in Halo point to some real-world examples of what they'd rather have?

Madness

I'm sure that there are people who don't care for the consequences either way.

Rank in Halo 3 didn't mean much to me. I suck at the game. I'm a 42, but there was no way I'm going to be 50. So I didn't care about the games I quit out on.

Yes but not having it all is worse. You may not care about rank, but chances are more people who play ranked cared about them then those who didn't.

If there's no consequences at all, people will go crazy. It's why betrayals, general griefing, asshattery have increased since Reach. People grenade your tank, used to betray for sniper, didn't care if you lost trolololololol etc. They would then quit out and do it again.

If the difference between being a level 40 colonel and 39 commander is one quit, you would guarantee the person would think long and hard about whether he'd risk it.

Could everyone who considers human architecture in Halo point to some real-world examples of what they'd rather have?

Look at past Halo games, the architecture varies from map to map.

Blackout, Ghost Town, High Ground, Orbital, Longshore, Rats Nest, Last Resort, Condemned, Boneyard, Anchor 9, Breakneck, or even Adrift all have very unique looking architecture with a ton of custom art assets. Other than Adrift it seems all of Halo 4's UNSC maps are built out of the same basic geometry and textures, and are incredibly boring and bland.

I mean, look at ODST for good examples of what Skylines actual gameplace could have looked like..instead, we got the same bright, bland, white UNSC look that Halo 4 has introduced. It just looks so...uninspired.

heckfu

Banned

Blackout, Ghost Town, High Ground, Orbital, Longshore, Rats Nest, Last Resort, Condemned, Boneyard, Anchor 9, Breakneck, or even Adrift all have very unique looking architecture with a ton of custom art assets. Other than Adrift it seems all of Halo 4's UNSC maps are built out of the same basic geometry and textures, and are incredibly boring and bland.

I mean, look at ODST for good examples of what Skylines actual gameplace could have looked like..instead, we got the same bright, bland, white UNSC look that Halo 4 has introduced. It just looks so...uninspired.

I'd like to challenge this. I've said from the beginning that Exile is one of my favorite maps and the other day we were playing it and I finally took time to look around...there is a lot of stuff going on that I have never noticed before and it's really awesome. And as poorly as Abandon plays it's a really interesting map to me, too.

Some other games have had more interesting and aesthetically differing maps for sure, but I wouldn't call Halo 4 maps bland and uninspired.

I'd like to challenge this. I've said from the beginning that Exile is one of my favorite maps and the other day we were playing it and I finally took time to look around...there is a lot of stuff going on that I have never noticed before and it's really awesome. And as poorly as Abandon plays it's a really interesting map to me, too.

Some other games have had more interesting and aesthetically differing maps for sure, but I wouldn't call Halo 4 maps bland and uninspired.

SLRP

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think quitting is just lame. Really.

I've only ever quit 3 or 4 games in Halo 4 and I'm SR 128. It was either out of intense frustration with the game or real life necessity.

I wish people would be more mature about not quitting, or have Halo 4 subtract experience if you quit more often than once in ten games or something.

I fully agree that Exile looks great, its definitely one of the maps that looks very hand crafted. Same goes for Longbow and that other snowy one.

But then you get maps like Abandon where the architecture looks very out of place and uninspired, and that same architecture pops up on Skyline, Landfall, Harvest, Shatter, Complex (it looks natural on Complex though), etc.

Its just.. blah.

Some of those maps literally look like thy are made out of slightly better looking Forge pieces. The actual architecture art design was MUCH more varied in past Halo titles, but in Halo 4 many maps could be mistook for each other due to the same bland interior art design.

Madness

I think they went the mass effect 3 route. Reuse textures and architecture styles, but vary up the lighting, filters and ambience.

Besides, I like when maps are somewhat bland. For example, though it played like shit, I liked the simplicity of the interiors in sword base in Reach.

JB1981

Agree 100%

It's pretty sad that Abandon has the best callouts and most unique geometry of all the maps so far, but it plays like dogshit for everything but maybe SWAT.

Automatic app updating in that Xbox update from yesterday?

I just fired up my Xbox, and it popped up with "Updating SkyDrive" at the bottom and it appeared to download a new version of the app.

Pretty cool.

Toa TAK

Banned
Isn't there a quit ban in Halo 4, though?

I wouldn't know. I've only quit once due to incredibly bad laggery.

If the difference between being a level 40 colonel and 39 commander is one quit, you would guarantee the person would think long and hard about whether he'd risk it.

You make a good point, and it's true. It's hard enough to rank up in Halo 2 and 3. I don't think many people wanted to jeopardize that.

Microsoft trolls Oozer. A story in three parts.

u4hKpOx.jpg

"Sweet! These maps looked fun!"

xvfxaQK.jpg

"Awesome, I'm going to have them a couple days early!"

dIV7TD6.jpg

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Time Traveler?
1:51
2:20
2:04

I would be worried about my xbox. (or is Xbox Live having issues again?)

TheOddOne

Automatic app updating in that Xbox update from yesterday?

I just fired up my Xbox, and it popped up with "Updating SkyDrive" at the bottom and it appeared to download a new version of the app.

Pretty cool.
People have been saying that the youtube app got updated too.

Top Bottom