• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

The playstation controller does take some getting used to, but its more than usable. The Xbox 360 controller is still the best by far, and hopefully it's design doesn't change too much next gen.

Nebula

Do you think Microsoft even knows how many people bought a 360/Xbox for Halo? I'm someone who did, and now I can't even see myself playing an Xbox next gen. Going by current exclusives, I don't want to spend like £300 to get to play it. Mind you, same can be said about exclusives on the PS3 as well.

Also from Twitter,

Oh YAY 343 are bringing out a new map, Shame i will only play it once and never play it again because no one else bought it

While somewhat of an exaggeration, it is the reason I have yet to buy the first maps and I'm glad I never now. It's going to go the same way with the map pack coming up as well.

Booties

Banned
FUCK THIS GAME. We were losing by a lot in oddball but finally came together and held a good spot. The other team gets a random incineration cannon. RIP HALO.

Do you think Microsoft even knows how many people bought a 360/Xbox for Halo? I'm someone who did, and now I can't even see myself playing an Xbox next gen. Going by current exclusives, I don't want to spend like £300 to get to play it. Mind you, same can be said about exclusives on the PS3 as well.
It's very early days for the announcements, nevermind the years of releases, their ups and downs to come.

It'll be interesting all the same.
Rumor is that current gen controllers can be used for the next Xbox.
There was another rumour that said the opposite :p

While somewhat of an exaggeration, it is the reason I have yet to buy the first maps and I'm glad I never now. It's going to go the same way with the map pack coming up as well.
It's not like Reach where you never played a new map outside of its designated playlist. I have the map pack and see its maps quite frequently in the CTF playlist. Halo 4 does something right when trying to match you up with other map pack owners.

Nebula

It's not like Reach where you never played a new map outside of its designated playlist. I have the map pack and see its maps quite frequently in the CTF playlist. Halo 4 does something right when trying to match you up with other map pack owners.

I'm glad you get to enjoy the content. I was going to pick them up but at the time I didn't enjoy Halo 4 (still don't) and Skyrim DLC was on sale. Had 2k points ready for the season pass and spent it on Skyrim DLC instead. It was the best decision I could have made.

I think the only thing I want from the upcoming map pack is a nice background for my computer of the skybox on the city map.

Madness

What are you talking about? I distinctly remember playing noble maps like anchor 9 and other maps in the non dlc playlists.

I have very rarely seen the Crimson maps outside of the dlc playlist in Halo 4. And whenever I do see one, it's paired with Valhalla or exile and people vote for those.

I'm glad with majestic dropping we'll start to hopefully see them more often. You'd think with the game dropping to $20 at some stores during sales, they'd have a price drop on the season pass for people who haven't bought it yet. Even gears had the season pass be dropped a few montha after launch.

Just went to a GameStop in Boston. There's already a lot of destiny promo stuff. Huge cardboard cutout, promo display boxes filling an entire shelf, those neat little advertising cubes. I was even asked if I wanted to pre-order destiny.

The posters for the preorders are huge too. Weird this game isn't even coming out until next year and there's already this much promo in GameStop.

Feels a little cheap to die by and I find it an incredibly inconsistant weapon. You don't really 'aim' it as such. Am I right in thinking it's a weapon that's more susceptible to latency than other weapons?

Maybe I need a bit of needler coaching. I'm shocked when about 3 needles strip my shields completely top mid from blue ramp on Haven.

It does seem a bit inconsistent. Then again I feel like the Sticky Det + Railgun vary in their strength based on latency also.

wwm0nkey

Just went to a GameStop in Boston. There's already a lot of destiny promo stuff. Huge cardboard cutout, promo display boxes filling an entire shelf, those neat little advertising cubes. I was even asked if I wanted to pre-order destiny.

The posters for the preorders are huge too. Weird this game isn't even coming out until next year and there's already this much promo in GameStop.

Activision is pushing it hardcore. Im willing to bet their new strategy will be CoD for Fall and Destiny as their spring game, they are trying very hard right now to get the name Destiny implanted in peoples minds with all these web ads and all the in-store ads at GameStop.

They know what they are doing.

Activision. It is a new IP, start the hype early.

If Destiny comes out for the new Xbox on the same day, I will likely buy it together with the new console. It depends how many of my friends will have it on the new box though.

Striker

Anchor 9 showed up quite a bit in Team Objective, as did Tempest. Highlands did show up once in BTB that I saw, but it wasn't voted for.

I still have no desire to buy these DLC packs mainly due to the gameplay itself (no, I don't want to play Infinity Slayer on Shatter, nor do I want to play 2-flag Wreckage and Harvest has issues), and I feel like I wouldn't see them outside the DLC playlists.

What are you talking about? I distinctly remember playing noble maps like anchor 9 and other maps in the non dlc playlists.

I have very rarely seen the Crimson maps outside of the dlc playlist in Halo 4. And whenever I do see one, it's paired with Valhalla or exile and people vote for those.
Ok, I'll give you that, the Noble Map Pack was somewhat playable outside of the DLC playlists, but they were still pretty rare. I only played in the Crimson playlist on Day 1 and I've played on those maps plenty of times since their release. I see Harvest and Wreckage in the CTF playlist all the time (though they often get outvoted by Ragnarok). I guess it just depends on which playlist you play in.

Just got booted of XBL. My internet is working. Anyone else have this problem?
I'm not playing right now, but I sometimes have problems getting kicked off XBL. Then again, I'm at college and I've always assumed it was just a hiccup in my connection. Maybe its the same for you?

I see Harvest all the time in CTF and Shitfinity Slayer, and despite Wreckage arguably being the worst map in Halo 4 to date, I still see it from time to time (CTF mainly, and most of one team will quit almost immediately). I don't see Shatter, mainly because I rarely step outside of the 4v4 playlists.

Booties

Banned
I'm not playing right now, but I sometimes have problems getting kicked off XBL. Then again, I'm at college and I've always assumed it was just a hiccup in my connection. Maybe its the same for you?

It's probably a sign that I should stop anyway. My laptop is working and they're both on wifi. Probably just a one time thing.

Yeah, I just turned my box on and it's connected. Gonna have to postpone my team objective dongings until later.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
FUCK THIS GAME. We were losing by a lot in oddball but finally came together and held a good spot. The other team gets a random incineration cannon. RIP HALO.

Oddball is not in Throwdown

Why don't you just play Throwdown?

Hey, Euro folks! The system update added a bunch of settings options for various stuffs. If you had the option to auto shutdown after 6 hours, it will have been defaulted to the one hour option. A few other default values were changed too.

Youtube can now be paired with mobile devices on the 360 too. You get a code to type on your phone or whatever and you can just start queueing up videos to watch and using the phone as a sort of remote. Pretty cool, especially when I don't have much modern gadgets. My ancient HTC Wildfire can just about do it fine. Smartglass seems to be a step above and beyond this though.

Ghazi

Anchor 9 showed up quite a bit in Team Objective, as did Tempest. Highlands did show up once in BTB that I saw, but it wasn't voted for.

I still have no desire to buy these DLC packs mainly due to the gameplay itself (no, I don't want to play Infinity Slayer on Shatter, nor do I want to play 2-flag Wreckage and Harvest has issues), and I feel like I wouldn't see them outside the DLC playlists.

Bbbbut, don't, you want Infinity Rumble? "It's the definitive Halo experience."
-said no one

Booties

Banned
Oddball is not in Throwdown

Why don't you just play Throwdown?

I wanted to get the challenge since I'm close to finishing my current specialization. Turns out when there is an oddball challenge a lot of idiots play team objective. It's basically oddball sword base. Though there is that automatica weapon weekly which means lots of suppressors and ARs. Using the perk for two primary weapons is nuts for those maps with lots of nooks and crannys. BR for sweeping headshots, AR for CQC

Infinity gametypes have to go. They are just so much worse than Doubles Pro or any of the Throwdown gametypes. The person who let Camo and Jetpack still be AA's needs to go too.

Fuchsdh

Ok, I'll give you that, the Noble Map Pack was somewhat playable outside of the DLC playlists, but they were still pretty rare. I only played in the Crimson playlist on Day 1 and I've played on those maps plenty of times since their release. I see Harvest and Wreckage in the CTF playlist all the time (though they often get outvoted by Ragnarok). I guess it just depends on which playlist you play in.

Aye. Crimson comes up a fair amount, which I attribute to better DLC matching criteria rather than everyone actually having it.

wwm0nkey

Besides Oddball, what the fuck happened to objective modes after Halo 2? In Halo 3 they were ok but I loved objective in Halo 2, those almost hour long matches on Headlong due to the contesting feature were amazing! lol

Also 2-flag on Containment and 1-Flag on Relic. Oh and then there was assault on Zanzibar......I'm sad now :(

Besides Oddball, what the fuck happened to objective modes after Halo 2? In Halo 3 they were ok but I loved objective in Halo 2, those almost hour long matches on Headlong due to the contesting feature were amazing! lol

Also 2-flag on Containment and 1-Flag on Relic. Oh and then there was assault on Zanzibar......I'm sad now :(

Yeah- 2-flag and bomb games on Containment were so good. I still remember specific games from 6 and 7 years ago in H2.

I can't even remember H4 games from yesterday.

Madness

Objective modes require skill, teamwork, map control/play, timers etc. These are all things that don't fit in line with modern FPS which is mindless slayer over and over.

It's like Bungie even said, more and more people just want to come home, put on the game, and just quickly join. They don't want to read too much, think etc. It's why so many people go like 14-12 and yet think they're really good at the game. It's why Gears moved away from execution and war zone to the new team deathmatch.

Not that I don't mind, but true objective modes had their own strategy, their own play styles. Nothing like a hard push to break a stalemate, a great stealth capture. Infinity CTF, waypoints galore, camping and power weapons called at will. Great fun :/

Oozer3993

Microsoft trolls Oozer. A story in three parts.

u4hKpOx.jpg

"Sweet! These maps looked fun!"

xvfxaQK.jpg

"Awesome, I'm going to have them a couple days early!"

dIV7TD6.jpg

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Tawpgun

The one in the Pru? I might go check it out.

JackHerer

I play the Crimson maps all the time. They show up ALOT in BTB and often enough in other playlists. Unfortunately they aren't very good. Was actually thinking of deleting them from my HD.

There's going to be around 1200 people at the event so obviously I wouldn't assume that a certain person being at the event means anything. There are some hints of them actually showing off more of Destiny but nothing confirmed. At least we only have to wait 8 hours, and be ARG-free :)

It's not really about the information they disclosed, but rather how they pretended it was a big deal.

I mean, we had a ARG a week before the reveal. We've had constant reminders from Bungie through social networks about the reveal.

Oh and you know, there was a six-hour event for the press, so please excuse people for thinking they actually might be showing more than one minute of actual gameplay. Did we even get 30 seconds of actual gameplay?

I mean, if they want to hype up their game, that's fine, I expect that from Bungie. But as for me, their reveal did NOTHING for me.

Destiny ads are popping up all over the place now too, I mean Youtubes top banner was a Destiny Ad everywhere I went the day after the event.

So much advertising for so little seems weird, not going to lie, I am all for the advertising campaign being heavy, I just want to see more info on the game rather than the generic "we make fun games" quotes.

Cool trailer, these maps seem decent.

So 343 did what exactly? Provide feedback?

Maps look decent gamplay wise, player wasn't great though.

And why the fuck are the UNSC maps plain white, forge looking maps again? It looks so fucking boring and bad. Once again, the skybox looks amazing, and the actual battleground looks generic. Fucking Certain Affinity.

Pretty cool stuff happening in the backround on Landfall.

ibzmDecqKCCbe8.gif

i3d3avSVMi2L4.gif

Too bad the interior art didn't get that level of attention..

Landfall Skybox .GIF Loop:
ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png

iAvoQdx1Lvhfq.gif
ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png

That is a nice skybox.

Top Bottom