• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I have a question. Would it be impossible for Halo 5 to include some boss battles? I love the Halo series, but I don't follow too many others shooters. Are boss battles, like, not a cool thing to include in shooters? Honest questions.

FyreWulff

I have a question. Would it be impossible for Halo 5 to include some boss battles? I love the Halo series, but I don't follow too many others shooters. Are boss battles, like, not a cool thing to include in shooters? Honest questions.

Was tried in Halo 2 and was terrible

Ramirez

That was what made the original Halo great, Halo 2 had a boss battle and it was terrible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
343 was a terrible boss battle too.

I think the only real good boss battle was the Scarab, but it lost all it's lustre when they made you fight more and more of them.

Karl2177

If you're going to do boss battles, do them as bigger and tougher opponents; think Scarab or Phantom. Don't do them like Tartarus, Regret, or 343GS.

didn't you only fight 2 tops? and that fight was awesome

Nah after the first one it just seemed tame. Same situation with Brumaks in gears of war.

Or how theyve ruined Sword Elites. Remember the terror seeing that first sword Elite in CE running at you?

Fast forward and Halo games throw them out every level or two.

Effect is lost.

Boss Fights?
Tartarus_hammerhold.JPG

Havok

If you're going to do boss battles, do them as bigger and tougher opponents; think Scarab or Phantom. Don't do them like Tartarus, Regret, or 343GS.
I don't necessarily think Phantoms fit in that niche. They're very passive and primarily support-focused, and aren't a worthwhile goal very often. A better example, in my opinion, would be the Hammer Chieftains. Smart, tough, aggressive, your immediate focus when you enter the room.

Omni

Whelp. My Xbox Controller broke. And I have no cash to buy another. Guess I better update my PC games so I can play them instead... BF3 alone needs an 8GB download...

On an unrelated note, anyone have need for a 14 day Gold Trial? Came with Tomb Raider and I have no use for it.

Nowise10

What other gaffers are on a hiatus from this game?

While the game is completely random, if you just go into a match and play, and not care about if you die or whatever, its pretty fun.

At some point, you just gotta laugh off on how ridiculous the gameplay is, rather then getting mad.

While the game is completely random, if you just go into a match and play, and not care about if you die or whatever, its pretty fun.

At some point, you just gotta laugh off on how ridiculous the gameplay is, rather then getting mad.

Nah I'd rather not play period. No point in inflating the numbers for a game I couldn't care less about playing. I've hit an age and maturity where I just don't bother with shit games.

heckfu

Banned
Nah I'd rather not play period. No point in inflating the numbers for a game I couldn't care less about playing. I've hit an age and maturity where I just don't bother with shit games.

At what age and maturity level is it where you don't feel the need to visit a thread about a game you don't like just to talk shit about it?

TheOddOne

To be fair, 343 has tried to make the game better with a more stripped down playlist, small maps and listening better to feedback. However it all feels too little too late. Sidenote, one of the better map packs, Majestic, is the victim in this all.

I'm trying to think of some way to roughly streamline everything into a concise playlist count without completely killing off/overspecifying things. Like, in an ideal game where all our gametypes came back and got refined and all that. Maybe something along the lines of:

ARENA
Ranked playlists. Note that Imperialist is basically Regicide/Juggernaut/VIP 2.0, taking the best from the three gametypes to actually promote being in first while still allowing for defensive play in team games where you've actually got to protect your king. There are always four voting options.

6-Way FFA. Rumble Pit (Slayer / King of the Hill / Oddball / Imperialist)
2v2. Team Doubles (Slayer / One Flag / One Bomb / Imperialist)
4v4. Team Throwdown (Slayer / Slayer Classic / Imperialist / Team Snipers)
4v4. Team Objective (CTF / One Flag / Assault / One Bomb)
4v4. Team Control (Territories / Three Plots / King of the Hill / Oddball)
4v4. Team SWAT (SWAT lol)

If people absolutely have to get their all-slayer-all-the-time fix, then Throwdown could be split into Team Slayer and Team Throwdown, with Throwdown being Slayer Classic / Imperialist / Team Snipers / CTF or something.

SOCIAL BIG TEAM
All the large-scale combat, none ranked. Either 8v8 or 16v16 if next-gen is generous, which would allow for some Battlefield 3-style matches, but in space.

Slayer
Dominion
Invasion (has some modifications to allow for what amounts to CTF/Assault 2.0, which would always be possible voting options)
Extraction
Safe Havens (Basically large-scale, class-based Infection meets Dominion meets Firefight)

ACTION SACK
A double EXP rotational playlist. You could possibly allow for more than one. Some options include:
Race
Rocket Race
Flood
Grifball
Multi Team
Fiesta
Swords
Infinity Slayer (lol)
DLC Playlist

GrizzNKev

Banned
To be fair, 343 has tried to make the game better with a more stripped down playlist, small maps and listening better to feedback. However it all feels too little too late. Sidenote, one of the better map packs, Majestic, is the victim in this all.

Yeah, and it's kind of sad. I really do appreciate the effort they put in to improve the game. I got all the way to SR130 and much prefer the new maps and playlists. However, they're not going to bring back players, but instead only hope to retain the ones they still have.

LOL biggy

Oh sounds productive. Also how much of the discussion here veers completely off Halo? Yeah comin' in to talk about Halo without suckin' some dick is SO WRONG.

I don't know you but the grittiness of this post in combination with your avatar/title just made me hawt.

heckfu

Banned
Oh sounds productive. Also how much of the discussion here veers completely off Halo? Yeah comin' in to talk about Halo without suckin' some dick is SO WRONG.

I knew someone would get riled up.

I'd say this thread talks about off topic stuff in general than Halo. Today was Lost, Diplo, and Game of Thrones.

heckfu

Banned
Okay.

So I talk about how I don't like Halo 4 and you get pissy because?

A halfway witty retort hardly classifies as getting pissy. Take a chill pill.

don't. drugs are bad.

and if I was actually opposed to people talking bad about the game I'm in the wronnnnng thread

A halfway witty retort hardly classifies as getting pissy. Take a chill pill.

don't. drugs are bad.

and if I was actually opposed to people talking bad about the game I'm in the wronnnnng thread

I didn't see anything witty just "why you talk about a game if you don't like it lolololol."

TheOddOne

Yeah, and it's kind of sad. I really do appreciate the effort they put in to improve the game. I got all the way to SR130 and much prefer the new maps and playlists. However, they're not going to bring back players, but instead only hope to retain the ones they still have.
Oh man, if they had done this out the gate, the backlash would have been minimized and people would be more forgiving. But now? Yeah, good luck with that.

Top Bottom