• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

TheOddOne

tumblr_mj82hshQk21qab0xpo1_500.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
Hey guys I just started watching Lost today and it's awesome and the colorfulness of it reminded me of Halo okay this has been a post thanks for reading.

That's sad even for 11 pm pst.

Oh well, alienating the people who wouldn't just jump ship for CoD will do that.

Hey correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you one of the people who got early acces to Halo 4 before it was released? Just wondering, did thát much change since then? I vaguely recall you were generally positive about the experience.

vhfive

Hey guys I just started watching Lost today and it's awesome and the colorfulness of it reminded me of Halo okay this has been a post thanks for reading.

It's really good for the first 2 or 3 season but then goes downhill. You will still watch it out of obligation to finish the series though

Omni

Completely unrelated, but after starting to play through Mass Effect 3 on PC again, I've come to the conclusion that 343i should outsource parts of Halo 5 to those at Bioware responsible for the cinematography in that game.

And while they're at it, they should hire Bioware's art director too.

Some of the environments in Halo 4 are rather dull to look at, IMO.

FyreWulff

Will Saber3D Engine be used for Halo 2 Anniversary, IF 343/MS actually does confirm its development?

I think that was pretty much a one-off, since it was designed to sit on top of the Halo PC code.

TBH if they're doing H2A then they shouldn't bother with a graphics switch capability.

Omni

I think that was pretty much a one-off, since it was designed to sit on top of the Halo PC code.

TBH if they're doing H2A then they shouldn't bother with a graphics switch capability.

Yah. In CEA the feature was trivial at best. Sure, in my first play through I may of switched a few times, but once the novelty factor wore off I never used it.

Staggering really. I remember seeing Reach at around 90,000 at night consistently and thinking that was very average for a multiplayer Halo game. Quite sobering that a Master Chief, mainline, big budget Halo game is only doing 50 to 60 K at its daily zenith. Directly affects the quality of the skill matching and connection before anyone wheels out the 'as long as I can get a game I'm happy' sop. FFA pro, Doubles and Throwdown are really good too. Shame the sort of Halo fan who enjoy those types of playlist were hounded out in the first few months by random mortar cannons and instant kill-bodyshot snipers falling from the clouds, weapon unlock exp systems, instant respawn and active camo. They probably thought Halo wasn't remotely catered to them anymore, left in exasperation and are now not aware of the proper Halo playlists available to them.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Staggering really. I remember seeing Reach at around 90,000 at night consistently and thinking that was very average for a multiplayer Halo game. Quite sobering that a Master Chief, mainline, big budget Halo game is only doing 50 to 60 K at its daily zenith. Directly affects the quality of the skill matching and connection before anyone wheels out the 'as long as I can get a game I'm happy' sop. FFA pro, Doubles and Throwdown are really good too. Shame the sort of Halo fan who enjoy those types of playlist were hounded out in the first few months by random mortar cannons and instant kill-bodyshot snipers falling from the clouds, weapon unlock exp systems, instant respawn and active camo. They probably thought Halo wasn't remotely catered to them anymore, left in exasperation and are now not aware of the proper Halo playlists available to them.

I'd wager that's precisely what happened. I would definitely say that one of the biggest factors that kept me playing daily in the Halo 3 era was trying to get my level 50. Halo 4's CSR isn't slated to go live for more than a month, so there's another factor to population loss. If any of that lost audience is willing to pay attention to what's left if this new trilogy, I hope 343i has learned their lesson on what needs to be in a Halo game at launch for it to not lose 90% of its player base within 4 months.

That still strikes me as the most odd thing about this game, how an entire studio of so-called Halo fans completely missed that.

Fiesta is so bad. So, so bad. I just wanted to try Lightning CTF but it has yet to come up.

Edit: Oh, it's not there. Someone made a mistake, perhaps? Again. Do they ever playtest anything over there because every week there's a new mistake that someone overlooked that is caught within minutes of the playlist going up. And for whatever reason, they can't fix anything until next Monday.

I knew someone would get riled up.

I'd say this thread talks about off topic stuff in general than Halo.
Today was Lost, Diplo, and Game of Thrones.

I like how this thread is. Halo discussion holds together community discussion. Its nice we only ever go off topic for 2 pages at a maximum we always return to halo talk in one way or another.

Okay.

So I talk about how I don't like Halo 4 and you get pissy because?

Devo pls post more, What is devo playing?
SLRP

Edit: FFS more top of page bullshit posts. Sorry.

This map pleases my eyes

Havok

Fiesta is really weird now. Instead of just spawning with a random weapon like before, which would mean no custom loadouts, you pick your loadout at the start and are given immediate personal ordnance choices on spawn (and every time you get a kill, it seems). So since it allows your own loadouts, you can potentially have ammo or dexterity'd camo snipers refreshing ammo after every kill (edit: it's infinite ammo, so this is a horrible example. Sorry!). Also, radar is disabled for whatever reason, must have been too casual an experience with it turned on. Wait, what? All that aside, it felt wacky and was kinda fun, so mission accomplished, I guess. Fiesta isn't really something to pick apart.

So I picked the Binary Rifle after my first kill, picked up an Incineration Cannon a few seconds later, and that was all she wrote. Without camo, though.

Wonder what happened to Lightning CTF. Announced and then dropped off the face of the earth immediately.

edit: Yeah, okay, Binary Slayer is pretty all right.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Fiesta is really weird now. Instead of just spawning with a random weapon like before, which would mean no custom loadouts, you pick your loadout at the start and are given immediate personal ordnance choices on spawn (and every time you get a kill, it seems). So since it allows your own loadouts, you can potentially have ammo or dexterity'd camo snipers refreshing ammo after every kill.

So I picked the Binary Rifle after my first kill and that was all she wrote.

That's what happens when you multiply fiesta * fiesta. It's genuinely fiesta squared, because it was designed on top of Infinity.

FyreWulff

Fiesta is really weird now. Instead of just spawning with a random weapon like before, which would mean no custom loadouts, you pick your loadout at the start and are given immediate personal ordnance choices on spawn (and every time you get a kill, it seems). So since it allows your own loadouts, you can potentially have ammo or dexterity'd camo snipers refreshing ammo after every kill. Also, radar is disabled for whatever reason, must have been too casual an experience with it turned on. Wait, what?

So I picked the Binary Rifle after my first kill, picked up an Incineration Cannon a few seconds later, and that was all she wrote. Without camo, though.

Wonder what happened to Lightning CTF. Announced and then dropped off the face of the earth immediately.

Sounds like we've found the terminator between the global loadout system and the need for a gametype to control weapon spawns on it's own terms.

Edit: Oh, it's not there. Someone made a mistake, perhaps? Again. Do they ever playtest anything over there because every week there's a new mistake that someone overlooked that is caught within minutes of the playlist going up. And for whatever reason, they can't fix anything until next Monday.
So true, ain't even funny at this point.

willow ve

Was actually looking forward to twitch CTF. Also would help on the light rifle commendation.

Can't check on my phone but I'm sure 343 warned in the bulletin that some of the gametypes might make it in, some might not and there'll be more added at a later date.

Havok

Can't check on my phone but I'm sure 343 warned in the bulletin that some of the gametypes might make it in, some might not and there'll be more added at a later date.
Yeah, here are the quotes in question:

While we haven't locked down what the playlist will launch with, here are some of the game modes you can expect in the near future [...]

We're currently building many more Action Sack game modes, some of which will launch with the playlist on Monday, and others that will be introduced in upcoming weeks.
Just a little weird that they'd choose that of all things to be transparent about when we're seeing some playlists being stealth updated with Majestic maps and not a word is said about 'em.

TheOddOne

Fiesta is really weird now. Instead of just spawning with a random weapon like before, which would mean no custom loadouts, you pick your loadout at the start and are given immediate personal ordnance choices on spawn (and every time you get a kill, it seems). So since it allows your own loadouts, you can potentially have ammo or dexterity'd camo snipers refreshing ammo after every kill. Also, radar is disabled for whatever reason, must have been too casual an experience with it turned on. Wait, what? All that aside, it felt wacky and was kinda fun, so mission accomplished, I guess. Fiesta isn't really something to pick apart.
What the hell?! I know it's fiesta, but that still is pretty dumb.

Nowise10

Fiesta wasnt that bad. I went like 14 kills without dying, and only died twice in the match.

Plus this makes commendations so much easier.

IHaveIce

Banned
Fiesta is really weird now. Instead of just spawning with a random weapon like before, which would mean no custom loadouts, you pick your loadout at the start and are given immediate personal ordnance choices on spawn (and every time you get a kill, it seems). So since it allows your own loadouts, you can potentially have ammo or dexterity'd camo snipers refreshing ammo after every kill. Also, radar is disabled for whatever reason, must have been too casual an experience with it turned on. Wait, what? All that aside, it felt wacky and was kinda fun, so mission accomplished, I guess. Fiesta isn't really something to pick apart.

What?!

This sounds like the worst possible gametype.
Now let's see how this will become the standard slayer for Halo 5

Nowise10

If they made it so you only get to call in a weapon once per life, it would be much better though. Everyone ends ups getting Binary rifles, or rockets within 3 kills.

Wow, interesting change. Is Fiesta regular doable in customs?

Blueblur1

Fiesta doesn't work like classic Fiesta? They couldn't even get that right? :/

I really hope for Halo 5 343i reverts back to the way Halo Reach handled player weapon spawns and map weapon spawns. Load out choices would be limited but at least players would spawn with Plasma Pistols or Boltshots and game types like Fiesta could work as they originally did.

Havok

Wow, interesting change. Is Fiesta regular doable in customs?
As far as I can tell, there is no option to make the spawn weapon random, no. Maybe I'm missing it, but it isn't under the Game Loadouts section, which is the only place I could think of.

I don't even think this is necessarily better or worse than before, just interesting that they came up with a totally different solution.

Nowise10

Fun gametypes like in Halo 3 for example.

Not K/D and commendation boosting gametypes that are completely broken.

Im pretty sure Halo 3 action sack had fiesta in it, and while Halo 3 did have some fun gametypes, most of the fun ones took awhile to actually get put in.

I remember one on Sandbox. Enemy team was in the sky bubble and had to snipe the enemy team down below in the map, and you had to lead your VIP to the objective.

Woorloog

Banned
Im pretty sure Halo 3 action sack had fiesta in it, and while Halo 3 did have some fun gametypes, most of the fun ones took awhile to actually get put in.

I remember one on Sandbox. Enemy team was in the sky bubble and had to snipe the enemy team down below in the map, and you had to lead your VIP to the objective.

Oh god that was horrible and boring. The concept was fun but it doesn't work in Halo.

Top Bottom