• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Akai__

Definitely go for Intel

Also, he's on a budget build, SSD is out of the question. Also, I have a capture card with no SSD and it's works great.

And yea, go to the PC building thread.

I forgot, that he only is on a budget build. But still, he can buy a SSD later. I can capture in uncompressed quality with my SSD and Black Magic Intensity Pro now. Quality is really great.

I forgot, that he only is on a budget build. But still, he can buy a SSD later. I can capture in uncompressed quality with my SSD and Black Magic Intensity Pro now. Quality is really great.

All that matters is write speed. I have a RAID setup for data/capture and an SSD for OS and installed programs only and I can capture uncompressed just fine with my Shuttle.

Owner of an AMD Bulldozer "8" core here.

Get an i7.

Yeah, same. Go for the i7. Well... there is an argument to be made for going AMD if you're planning on a smaller budget gaming PC, as most games are a lot more dependant on the GPU, so you can funnel the amount saved from going with even a 965BE, and then spend the extra on a nicer card. Only real benefit at those lower prices with going Intel is the upgrade potential is a lot higher, if you want to squeeze some extra juice out of your system in the future (mostly due to the socket type, AMD is supposedly switching soon).

RIP MLG Halo.

If you dont treat your game as an esport its not going to be played as an esport. Even for awhile CoD was more popular than Halo but when it came to MLG events Halo was still more popular, even when MLG tried CoD at first, it was ignored and cast in shadow by Halo.

Remove ranks, so people have no idea where they stand as a player, no motivation to actually win, ignore the demand for spectator modes, competitive playlists, skill gaps, weapon control, add randomness in and you have all the wrong moves to make your game sink in the competitive players eyes.

You now have 50,000 people on average playing Halo 4. Most of which are in traditionally non-competitive playlists. BTB, Infinity Randy Slayer, Action Sack are top 3 right now accounting for more than half of those players. What do you expect though when most of the maps large, your underlying additional systems from this iteration all add more and more randomness, and your playlist management is a complete punch to the dick to competitive players. Of course Throwdown will instantly sink down to the bottom of the playlists.

You have not captured the CoD players. You have done nothing progressive, you've ruined Halo, you've got the barebones players that would just always be playing Halo no matter what game was given to them. You have ignored communities like HSH, MLG, and this shows, people have left the game. They aren't playing it.

And the user experience...don't even get me started, its awful.

Msg me when you're ready.

Agreed with everything except the notion that large maps and BTB are inherently not competitive. Done well, BTB can be an awesome competitive mode.

FyreWulff

psychoraven, you still have BLOPS2 Wii U? I just got it last night.

Working on getting my pointer controls configuration down. Pretty cool that you can adjust the deadzones and every other small setting in real-time during gameplay w/ the gamepad. Might stream it in a bit.

Also got Wars again now, so if anyone is up for playing multiplayer in that.. I'd like to stream that too.

Yea get a small SSD, all you need on it is the OS, Apps, and Games. Externals are fast enough for storing and watching/listening to space hogs like TV, Movies, and Music.

Most likely if you go i7, 8GB DDR3+ and a SSD on a low cost rig, the bottlenecks probably going to be the GPU because of money issues.

However always consider a dell refurb desktop if you aren't crazy about playing Crysis at max and don't feel like wasting time researching and messing around.

Pop

RIP MLG Halo.

If you dont treat your game as an esport its not going to be played as an esport. Even for awhile CoD was more popular than Halo but when it came to MLG events Halo was still more popular, even when MLG tried CoD at first, it was ignored and cast in shadow by Halo.

Remove ranks, so people have no idea where they stand as a player, no motivation to actually win, ignore the demand for spectator modes, competitive playlists, skill gaps, weapon control, add randomness in and you have all the wrong moves to make your game sink in the competitive players eyes.

You now have 50,000 people on average playing Halo 4. Most of which are in traditionally non-competitive playlists. BTB, Infinity Randy Slayer, Action Sack are top 3 right now accounting for more than half of those players. What do you expect though when most of the maps large, your underlying additional systems from this iteration all add more and more randomness, and your playlist management is a complete punch to the dick to competitive players. Of course Throwdown will instantly sink down to the bottom of the playlists.

You have not captured the CoD players. You have done nothing progressive, you've ruined Halo, you've got the barebones players that would just always be playing Halo no matter what game was given to them. You have ignored communities like HSH, MLG, and this shows, people have left the game. They aren't playing it.

This! save us based halo god

Don't worry. Bungie already hired Sage for all their bad design decisions.

Haha

Fuchsdh

Yea get a small SSD, all you need on it is the OS, Apps, and Games. Externals are fast enough for storing and watching/listening to space hogs like TV, Movies, and Music.

Most likely if you go i7, 8GB DDR3+ and a SSD on a low cost rig, the bottlenecks probably going to be the GPU because of money issues.

However always consider a dell refurb desktop if you aren't crazy about playing Crysis at max and don't feel like wasting time researching and messing around.

What videos are you watching? Realtime playback on my video files die on anything short of fibre or eSATA--USB 3 maybe cuts it, FW800 chugs and USB2 is a non-starter. Admittedly I'm prolly using more intensive codecs than most people, but I imagine people who've ripped their DVDs into a single file or have HD sources going longer than a few minutes have 4+GB files, easy.

Booshka

Ok, this has probably been brought up before, but what in the fuck did 343i do to the Elite AI in Halo 4? They just stand around, in place, taking shots in the face.

This is why I got so bored of the Campaign and stopped playing it after an hour or two. They would just stand there and let you shoot them. I was playing on Heroic too, I couldn't believe that Halo 4 re-used the same Covenant enemy compositions, but then made them terrible with the shit AI, so I just stopped playing. I might try playing it again to check out the forerunner dudes, but I'll probably just get bored 15 mins in and quit again.

What videos are you watching? Realtime playback on my video files die on anything short of fibre or eSATA--USB 3 maybe cuts it, FW800 chugs and USB2 is a non-starter. Admittedly I'm prolly using more intensive codecs than most people, but I imagine people who've ripped their DVDs into a single file or have HD sources going longer than a few minutes have 4+GB files, easy.

SATA3 with RAID non-SSD is plenty for RAW capture. Having SSD doesn't change the transfer rate.

Properly done USB3 has a similar transfer rate to non-RAID SATA3.

As an example, I just captured a 6:41 game in RAW 720 (due to source) and it took a couple dozen GB; my comp barely blinked.

Akai__

All that matters is write speed. I have a RAID setup for data/capture and an SSD for OS and installed programs only and I can capture uncompressed just fine with my Shuttle.

RAID setups are becomming less and less important. If you have really much data, that is really important for you, then a RAID setup is pretty good, because of the file imaging.

But SSD's are the future, because they are fast, they don't have moving/mechanical parts and you can mount them everywhere. Even with double sided tape.

RAID setups are becomming less and less important. If you have really much data, that is really important for you, then a RAID setup is pretty good, because of the file imaging.

But SSD's are the future, because they are fast, they don't have moving/mechanical parts and you can mount them everywhere. Even with double sided tape.

Nobody in their right mind is doing this with their SSDs and being serious.

Of course SSDs are the future (present?) but unless you need many access RAID solutions for a server, you'll get similar performance for data purposes (with slightly higher power consumption) with a high transfer hard drive. SSDs for OS and installs are almost a no-brainer nowadays though.

ElRenoRaven

Posting for the new page.

So I've decided that I'm going to give back to Halogaf since in the past people were good to me and hooked me up with stuff. There is one small limitation though. It's limited to US Halogaf sadly. The cost to ship this overseas would cost me more then the item.

Now all that said here is what is up for grabs. I am giving away 1 Hardback copy of Halo Silentium. I've ordered this from Amazon and it's shipped so I will have it in a few days here. Now here is all you have to do to be entered is PM me. Everyone has until March 19th at 11:59PM PST. That's Tuesday. Any PM's sent after that time will not be eligible.

On Wednesday the 20th I'll announce the winner as soon as I can. I do work so it will probably be sometime in the evening after I've had a chance to get home and pick the winner. So there you go. Again sorry for those not in the US but I'm sure you can understand.

FyreWulff

I should maybe had a raid for vidcapping. Had just an SSD up until a week ago, then added a 1.5TB spinning drive from NCIX a couple of weeks ago and it does just fine. Then again, I might be getting away with it due to having 16GB of RAM, so technically if all the programs involved are set up correctly, the memory pool should be acting as safe buffer to shield the drive from being overwhelmed. Technically.

I should maybe had a raid for vidcapping. Had just an SSD up until a week ago, then added a 1.5TB spinning drive from NCIX a couple of weeks ago and it does just fine. Then again, I might be getting away with it due to having 16GB of RAM, so technically if all the programs involved are set up correctly, the memory pool should be acting as safe buffer to shield the drive from being overwhelmed. Technically.

This is essentially the concept behind what are known as "hybrid" SSD/HDDs. The RAM buffer (SSD) is just built in to the HDD.

Akai__

Nobody in their right mind is doing this with their SSDs and being serious.

Of course SSDs are the future (present?) but unless you need many access RAID solutions for a server, you'll get similar performance for data purposes (with slightly higher power consumption) with a high transfer hard drive. SSDs for OS and installs are almost a no-brainer nowadays though.

You would be suprised. It's actually wide spreaded in the PC modding scene and it's not like you can damage your SSD with that. SSD's aren't getting very hot, except they are mounted near hardware, that is in fact getting hot.

FyreWulff

This is essentially the concept behind what are known as "hybrid" SSD/HDDs. The RAM buffer (SSD) is just built in to the HDD.

Yeah those look pretty neat.

I still remember killing as many programs as possible in Windows before burning a CD to reduce the chance of a coaster from the buffer underruns.

Nowadays you just have browser windows open and your media player playing an entire setlist while a CD/DVD are burning.

Serious question. As it's an episodic revision of the entire multiplayer (playlists, gametypes, weapons, armor, everything) suite, would the start of Project Halysis with weekly (or so) updates warrant its own thread on the same level that Game Grumps has its own discussion thread? Or is "plugging" stuff like that on GAF not allowed?

Yeah those look pretty neat.

I still remember killing as many programs as possible in Windows before burning a CD to reduce the chance of a coaster from the buffer underruns.

Nowadays you just have browser windows open and your media player playing an entire setlist while a CD/DVD are burning.

Still ruins some 360 ISO burning.

ZeNy

Neo Member
Just rewatched some old CE weapon and powerup nading videos. It better be possible in Halo 5. :p

1363464965-85878.gif

Ok, this has probably been brought up before, but what in the fuck did 343i do to the Elite AI in Halo 4? They just stand around, in place, taking shots in the face.
This is why I got so bored of the Campaign and stopped playing it after an hour or two.  They would just stand there and let you shoot them.  I was playing on Heroic too, I couldn't believe that Halo 4 re-used the same Covenant enemy compositions, but then made them terrible with the shit AI, so I just stopped playing.  I might try playing it again to check out the forerunner dudes, but I'll probably just get bored 15 mins in and quit again.

Halo 1 still has the best Elite AI IMO. They're so damn slick.

images

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well, my XBL Gold is officially gone for the first time since I started playing Halo 3.

Liberating, in a way. Time for some BF3: End Game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RIP MLG Halo.

Y'all know I'm a Halo 4 apologist and all, but the interspersed truth bombs in this hurt really.

IHaveIce

Banned
RIP MLG Halo.

Juices is one day back and drops already truthbombs again.

Booshka

Halo 1 still has the best Elite AI IMO. They're so damn slick.

I constantly go back and play Halo CE just because of how fun the enemy encounters are. After getting bored to death by H4, I played some CE to make sure I wasn't going insane, nope, encounters are still amazing and the enemies surprise me every time. Halo 4 Elites are just dog shit awful.

fire bravo hire juices

also can you pay an exact amount for something on xblm? i am litcherly 10 msp off and don't want to get at least 500 points to make up for it

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Halo 2 > Halo Reach/CE:A > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo CE

Edit: Oh we are talking about AI? Halo 2 legendary elites are pretty intense.

I remember Halo 2 Elite being too one-dimensional and easy, idk. They were no where near as evasive and cunning as the H1 Elites.

As for design the H2 Elites were awesome lol

-EDIT-

Hardest elites by far on legendary.

Ahh, haven't replayed that game too much on Legendary. Wanted to do co op but my partner kept dying and got bored of the resets ;'[

Top Bottom