• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Duji

RAM, CPU, GPU, MOBO are most definitely the biggest concerns. Would even put power supply on that list depending on GPU/CPU.

For a barebones usage PC, yes. For one that wants to do a sort of decent job at gaming, capture/rendering, etc, no. More RAM, and just as importantly, faster RAM is a big concern. Your good CPU/mobo/etc won't mean much if you can't store/transfer stuff between them. Also, RAM is one of the cheapest upgrades you can implement.

It's not all about size, but nowadays I would recommend to most people to go for 8GiB. Kingston HyperX if you can afford it. Speed and cooling is almost as important as physical memory.

I have 4GB and the only time I've ever ran out of RAM was when I had like 50 tabs open on Chrome. Other than that, I've rendered videos, ran Crysis on fairly high settings, etc. with zero issues. And are you guys certain that RAM speed is a big deal?

This is what Hazaro said in his thread regarding RAM in general:
Speed and latency for RAM (e.g. 1333 9-9-9-24 vs 1666 8-8-8-24) is not a big deal. In many cases it is just 1-4% difference. 1333Mhz DDR3 is perfectly fine for most. Save your money unless a sale is on, our you want to buy neat looking RAM. Just make sure the tall RAM heatsinks don't block your CPU heatsink!
4GB is enough for gaming. 8GB if you do a lot of multitasking or video work.

I have 4GB and the only time I've ever ran out of RAM was when I had like 50 tabs open on Chrome. Other than that, I've rendered videos, ran Crysis on fairly high settings, etc. with zero issues. And are you guys certain that RAM speed is a big deal?

4GB might be good right now but its affordable and easy enough to future proof a system in terms of ram at this point that its better to do it than not. You can get yourself 4x 4GB at 1600mhz sticks for less than £100 its well worth the investment and its something you wont have to upgrade for sometime.

Booshka

I have 16 gigs of RAM and another 80-100 bucks and I can go to 32. I don't need that at all, but it's nice to know that in a few years (or sooner) I can easily upgrade.

Halo 4 bracelet

m6a9L.gif

How French of you

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll say it again, this is almost all from the tournament. From twitchtv's stats:

And they were on twitchtv front page for a while.
While that context is important and makes sense, it doesn't reinforce my RIP Halo agenda, so I'm choosing to ignore it.

Thanks for correcting me.

Akai__

RAM speed kinda matters, when you want to overclock, but for normal usage and light video editing/ rendering 8GB of a good and low profile RAM (Corsair Vengeance; Samsung 1,35V or Kingston HyperX) brand is enough.

Side note: If you buy Kingston RAM, you support e-sport arround the world.

Trust Hazaro on this one.

4GB might be good right now but its affordable and easy enough to future proof a system in terms of ram at this point that its better to do it than not. You can get yourself 4x 4GB at 1600mhz sticks for less than £100 its well worth the investment and its something you wont have to upgrade for sometime.

Got to agree with that. Even if 8GB are more than enough now, you can always get additional RAM, if you can afford it. Makes video/audio editing/rendering a lot faster, too.

FYI you can't max out Battlefield 3 with less than 6GB without having issues. I went from 4 to 12 without spending much money at all.

So, you have 3 RAM sticks? This isn't really good, because RAM works either on dual channel or on quad channel mode. Depends on which motherboard and chipset you have.

You are slowing down your RAM speed with that. Always buy in pairs of 2 or 4 sticks and it also should be the same brand.

"Running out of RAM" is not the problem. You see the more RAM that is consumed, the harder it is (i.e. the longer it takes) for the kernel to find free memory. Think of it as a game of linear tetris (one line high, and only blocks 1x1, 2x1, 4x1), the more blocks you put down, the harder it is to find a spot for another 1x4, and you have to shuffle things around. Computationally, decreasing access speed (increasing RAM clock speed) decreases delay between caches and RAM, which is quite important for performance.

MLG halo 4 had around 40,000

But who expected otherwise was a fool, still sad though
You can't compare them. MLG Halo 4 was a pre-release tournament. People were excited to see the game. No, they were hyped. Excited. If Black Ops 2 had had a MLG pre-release tournament, it would have clearly gained higher numbers than 40,000.

looks fine apart from the gpu being painfully low end. You also could have saved some money by going with an i5 if all you will be doing is gaming. Hyperthreading doesn't have any benefits within gaming yet.
Not directly, but indirectly. Logical cores have their advantages, but I'd still have to agree with you.

Gui_PT

Downgraded from lower than low to abysmal. I wish I wasn't this way.

Pretty sure we'll be getting spectator mode.

Theater mode for campaign along with scoring.

100% classic playlist with no sprint or AA's or ordnance drops.

Keeping my expectations low though.

Nebula

If we don't get our hopes up for lots of fixes and stuff, we can't be hurt by 343 again. :(

TU speculation time?

No more nerfs. Calling it now.

TheOddOne

Pretty sure we'll be getting spectator mode.

Theater mode for campaign along with scoring.

100% classic playlist with no sprint or AA's or ordnance drops.

Keeping my expectations low though.
French guy keeping his expectation low. BAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA.

Fuchsdh

They better decrease the amount of damage stickies do to vehicles. That shit's annoying.

I'd love for things like stickies to do more proportional damage to the players insides the vehicles, rather than the vehicles themselves--I'd like to try and kill the enemy occupants of a vehicle and try and get the tank or whatever myself rather than just spamming it until it's dead.

Ghazi

I'd love for things like stickies to do more proportional damage to the players insides the vehicles, rather than the vehicles themselves--I'd like to try and kill the enemy occupants of a vehicle and try and get the tank or whatever myself rather than just spamming it until it's dead.

That'd be nice, it's just the loadouts broke vehicles in this game (and so many other things).I don't think they could even patch that in because of how the player health and vehicle are separate. I'd personally like to back to Halo CE era vehicles that are invincible, but still player health dependent(for driving).

IHaveIce

Banned
You can't compare them. MLG Halo 4 was a pre-release tournament. People were excited to see the game. No, they were hyped. Excited. If Black Ops 2 had had a MLG pre-release tournament, it would have clearly gained higher numbers than 40,000.

Of course but on the other hand you can't compare a mlg COD tournament to just simple Halo 4 streams.

But of course CoD is more streamed and watched.

edit: Oh yeah is anything green today in matchmaking? Or what was it about?

Fotos

edit: Oh yeah is anything green today in matchmaking? Or what was it about?

In certain playlists you turn green. Like if you're the king in regicide you turn green or if you have the ball in Grifball you turn green. Team Objective, Majestic FFA, CTF, Flood, Regicide, and Grifball all have this feature today.

Ghazi

In certain playlists you turn green. Like if you're the king in regicide you turn green or if you have the ball in Grifball you turn green. Team Objective, Majestic FFA, CTF, Flood, Regicide, and Grifball all have this feature today.

This is so much better than campaign theater. I'm so happy they took the time to implement features such as these.

Omni

I think Halo 3 was when vehicles were at their best. I was kinda surprised that 343i didn't choose to go back down that road with vehicle/player health

ElRenoRaven

Well it's a new morning and I know we've moved on a new page or several for inferior 25 per page and 50 per pagers so I'll repost.

So I've decided that I'm going to give back to Halogaf since in the past people were good to me and hooked me up with stuff. There is one small limitation though. It's limited to US Halogaf sadly. The cost to ship this overseas would cost me more then the item.

Now all that said here is what is up for grabs. I am giving away 1 Hardback copy of Halo Silentium. I've ordered this from Amazon and it's shipped so I will have it in a few days here. Now here is all you have to do to be entered is PM me. Everyone has until March 19th at 11:59PM PST. That's Tuesday. Any PM's sent after that time will not be eligible.

On Wednesday the 20th I'll announce the winner as soon as I can. I do work so it will probably be sometime in the evening after I've had a chance to get home and pick the winner. So there you go. Again sorry for those not in the US but I'm sure you can understand.

Also as a note to foreign Halogaffers. Later probably this next weekend I'll be running one for something I can hook you guys up with so don't feel left out on this one. You'll have your own.

For St Ps Days they Should have just mAde a ffa oddball game type where the oddball is reskinned to a mini keg and everyone is halo 3 armor chief green. Pretty simple goal, first one to drink x Amount of the keg wins. The downside, the further your lead, the more fucked up your vision gets. Shit would be hilarious by the end. Make it GTA IV levels of drunkeness.

Nebula

For St Ps Days they Should have just mAde a ffa oddball game type where the oddball is reskinned to a mini keg and everyone is halo 3 armor chief green. Pretty simple goal, first one to drink x Amount of the keg wins. The downside, the further your lead, the more fucked up your vision gets. Shit would be hilarious by the end. Make it GTA IV levels of drunkeness.

Have it combine speed boost, damage boost and flood vision. Any lens flare blinds you.

Madness

It'll be national news. Halo promotes drinking to kids, outrage as young boys and girls have to chase down kegs etc.

Even though it's a game rated M for Mature. What's even worse, the drinking age in America is a laughable 21 years old. So you'd have the game promoting something that is illegal for 18-20 year old Americans.

On a related note, was at a sports bar last night, some guys almost came to blows on whether it's St. Patty's Day or St. Paddy's Day lol.

Top Bottom