• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I said lockout, BC was alright I guess.

Ascension was broken but that may have been the way weapons spawned/didn't spawn if you were holding them. Get the other tower snipe and sit back = win.

It's not like I didn't "like" big team, it's that it was impossible to play.

Different strokes, I guess. My crew played BTB all the time and had a blast with it...

Yup. As soon as I saw a mantis (which is such a mediocre addition to the vehicle set) I instantly thought less of the map. In fact, as soon as I see a vehicle on any map in Halo 4 I zone out; as long as players can spawn with plasma pistols and plasma nades they will remain absolutely worthless and a Harvard lesson in how not to execute a sandbox with a loadout system.

Really, 343's DLC strategy has been very poor and a wild mis-allocation of map size to playlist ratio.

The mantis has to be one of the least interesting additions to a halo game ever and yet they pimp it out every chance they get.

If the halo steam rumours are true I will probably get a ps4 for next gen stuff and just play halo 3 all day baby

Madness

The mantis has to be one of the least interesting additions to a halo game ever and yet they pimp it out every chance they get.

If the halo steam rumours are true I will probably get a ps4 for next gen stuff and just play halo 3 all day baby

It doesn't even fit in with classic Halo gameplay. Heck it even looks awkward artistically. Vehicles were often used as a means of transport or quick combat. Hell even the scorpion allowed teammates to jump on for a ride if need be or jump in the gunner seat. The Mantis allows for neither. It's slow, cannot maneuver quickly, and requires very little skill. It's spray and pray gameplay at its finest. Even though people hate the banshee or wraith, it takes a lot of skill to use them effectively. Same goes for being a warthog driver or gunner.

It's also ridiculous the amount of health it has. It's like a damage sponge almost. It's like the ultimate camp vehicle, and I'm sure it's a hit with BS Angel and the 343 folks.

Risen

Complaining about weapon/vehicle balance in Halo 2 is so fucking laughable. Anyone who says this either didn't play the game long enough or didn't bother to try to understand the sandbox, or both.

Complain about the glitches, complain about the modders, sure, whatever. But Bungie did a lot (and succeeded) to curb it. Not to mention glitches added a lot to custom matches.

2-3 'good maps' is pure bullshit, I'm sorry. Every single map, every single one, was good, while the majority were either great or perfect.

I think the world is clearly ending today... I just found myself agreeing with most of what Reggie has said. Oh my...

Swipe sniping still exists and will always exist. The entire premise behind it is using the auto-aim to tell the difference between unrestricted movement speed and the movement speed when auto aim is initiated. It happens really fast but the second you notice a difference in speed you pull the trigger and that means you are on the player. So unless console games remove auto-aim, you can count on swipe sniping existing.

Its existed in every Halo, other MP titles, and still exists today in Halo 4. I know I did it a ton last night in BiRi's (Which is literally the funnest gametype Halo 4 has to offer, and thats sad)

As for your "good" map count, anything you said previously even if it was correct has immediately been discounted to mere rubbish, your post has made everyone who read it dumber and may God have mercy on your soul.

It doesn't even fit in with classic Halo gameplay. Heck it even looks awkward artistically. Vehicles were often used as a means of transport or quick combat. Hell even the scorpion allowed teammates to jump on for a ride if need be or jump in the gunner seat. The Mantis allows for neither. It's slow, cannot maneuver quickly, and requires very little skill. It's spray and pray gameplay at its finest. Even though people hate the banshee or wraith, it takes a lot of skill to use them effectively. Same goes for being a warthog driver or gunner.

It's also ridiculous the amount of health it has. It's like a damage sponge almost. It's like the ultimate camp vehicle, and I'm sure it's a hit with BS Angel and the 343 folks.

The whole Bipedal thing also means it accounts for a grand total of 0 awesome physics based moments.

I actually cant think of a time a Mantis has been involved in anything wacky or fun, its just a dull vehicle.

Swipe sniping still exists and will always exist. The entire premise behind it is using the auto-aim to tell the difference between unrestricted movement speed and the movement speed when auto aim is initiated. It happens really fast but the second you notice a difference in speed you pull the trigger and that means you are on the player. So unless console games remove auto-aim, you can count on swipe sniping existing.

Its existed in every Halo, other MP titles, and still exists today in Halo 4. I know I did it a ton last night in BiRi's (Which is literally the funnest gametype Halo 4 has to offer, and thats sad)

As for your "good" map count, anything you said previously even if it was correct has immediately been discounted to mere rubbish, your post has made everyone who read it dumber and may God have mercy on your soul.

I liked halo 2 but the swipe sniping was incredibly easy. I think the Halo 3 sniper has hit the sweet spot in terms of little auto-aim, fun to use.

I haven't followed the thread for a week or so..I suppose nothing new is happening?

Have we ever figured out whats with the "Reap-X" (lol) vehicles? Are they something Megabloks invented, or are they hint of whats to come?

Halo-Mea-Bloks-UNSC-Light-Assault-VTOL-ONI-REAP-X-Set-Summer-2013-e1363015641933.jpg

Halo-Mega-Bloks-UNSC-Light-Assault-VTOL-Vertical-Take-Off-and-Landing-at-Toy-Fair-2013-e1363015621836.jpg

Halo-Mea-Bloks-Summer-2013-UNSC-Siege-Bike-ONI-REAP-X-Set.jpg

I wouldn't mind new vehicles, especially if that bike is Chopper influenced.

Oh, well the map looks cool. The bases leave a little to be desired, but this may be fun.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I haven't followed the thread for a week or so..I suppose nothing new is happening?

Have we ever figured out whats with the "Reap-X" (lol) vehicles? Are they something Megabloks invented, or are they hint of whats to come?

I wouldn't mind new vehicles, especially if that bike is Chopper influenced.

Oh, well the map looks cool. The bases leave a little to be desired, but this may be fun.

I was hoping that they would be in Castle, since one of the vehicles is called the "Siege Bike", but I don't think that'll happen. Perhaps in the speculated Forge DLC?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
People receiving their copies of Silentium huh, with my luck mine will arrive sometime next week. Please be careful of the spoilers people.
Read some spoilers for it already. Lots of interesting stuff. Can we even discuss it here using spoiler tags? I know the book officially releases tomorrow.

blamite

People receiving their copies of Silentium huh, with my luck mine will arrive sometime next week. Please be careful of the spoilers people.

I think Halo 4's story has made me way less interested in actually reading this. Knowing how certain things turn out makes me want to just skim the spoilers and skip the rest. It probably would have been smart for 343 to have gotten this out before the game.

LosDaddie

Banned
New maps look fine to me. I need to work on getting all the Majestic cheevos still, as I was busy all weekend with MegaCon stuff.

I could see Halo 2 Anniversary being first or second on the XBL Activity Chart if it got a standalone release. So many people would jump on that.

Halo 2 HD needs to be it's own game with full multiplayer. Change absolutely nothing. See which population is better and which game is more well received through all Halo communities. .

Played H2V a couple of months ago. Still my favorite Halo mp.!

Did the same thing, and I couldn't agree more.

Halo 2 was perfection and still is,

Who says HaloGAF doesn't want Halo 2 HD? :)

No Halo Steam or Halo 3 PC:
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/13461/article/halo-4-microsoft-has-no-plans-for-halo-on-steam/

"We currently do not have plans to release any Halo titles on Steam, nor do we currently have plans for a PC version of Halo 3," a company representative said.
So Halo CEA all over again. Remember that?

"We currently do not have any plans for a Halo 1 Remake."

Next month, Halo CEA announced.

We're getting Halo 3 steam, or we better. I only bought a new PC for Halo 3 Steam.

metzger203

I'd like to see a Halo 2 standalone multiplayer game on the XBLA.

I'm basically talking Halo 2 multiplayer untouched, glitches and all, running at high-res and 60fps like H2V. Including all the Xbox DLC maps and exclusive content from H2V. Havok mentioned earlier they could possibly update the netcode. I didn't know this was possible, but I'd be all for it. They should create a hybrid UI featuring Xbox-style matchmaking playlists alongside H2V's server browser. They should also bring back clans and clan matches.

I wouldn't expect it to happen, but I think it would be neat if they went in and added back some of that cut content. The flamethrower, the mongoose, the silenced SMG, etc... maybe just for custom games. Spectator/observer mode and saved films were in the game at one point, they should bring those back too.

Just got an idea.

-Bring back sprees for all ordnance.
-Commendations require 5 tiers for loadout, and 5 for Ordnance. Not 7 for loadouts.
-With loadout weapons, getting a Killing Spree with said weapon will grant you 5 bonus points towards that commendation. A Killing Frenzy 10, and a Running Riot 15, but the bonuses cap there. That means a Running Riot with only a Battle Rifle would offer you a whopping 60 points rather than 15, for example.
-The same applies for Ordnance, but with the change that getting a Cutting Crew, Dream Crusher, etc. will give you the bonus.
-For extra shits and giggles it could be broadcasted over the kill feed. For example, getting a Binary Rifle Killing Spree and then Killing Frenzy could read as "xxxjuicesxxx is a Mathlete, xxxjuicesxxx is a Number Cruncher," and so on. :lol

DesertFox

Dat framerate chug

Just wait till Dominion gets rolling on that sucker.

Honestly looks like a total mess for vehicles keeping the running theme of Halo 4 going

Speaking of Halo 4 chugging along, has anybody else encountered significantly reduced framerates on the original Xbox 360 model compared to the slim model?

The other day I switched over to my old Xbox 360 (I usually play on a slim) and was playing BTB. The framerate was so poor it was downright unplayable. Coincidence?

FyreWulff

It's possible, each 360 model and even revisions inside each model grouping can have slight changes that don't behave in a consistent way.

My Falcon 360 ran some Forge maps better than my brother's launch 360. The launch 360 did not have slowdown on Tempest or that one corner of the Asylum area on Forge World, though.

edit: or for a more recent example, some models of the 360 cause Skullgirls to have 4 minute + load times. On other models it'll complete the loading well under a minute.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Do you wanna fight dude? Cause ill fuckin go right now my shirts already off alright.

I don't mean BTB was bad or not fun, I just don't know anyone who had the patience to wait to get matched up in it, and then the 1 in 15 games that isn't constant red bar and host swaps was actually fun to get in a warthog and ghost the flag across coag or waterworks.

Game wasnt that good. Even on LAN host advantage was too big. H2 is only better than Reach and 4, which is not saying a lot.

CyReN

Anyone from GAF getting GoWJ tonight/tomorrow? Maybe we can run a party, been way too long since I've played with a lot of you.

heckfu

Banned
Anyone from GAF getting GoWJ tonight/tomorrow? Maybe we can run a party, been way too long since I've played with a lot of you.

Yeah I will be, didnt even think about going at midnight, though.

Mayyyyyybe I will!

(enter the bracket challenge)

Watching some BiSlayer on Reverb's stream last night made me love the inclusion of thruster. They should ditch AAs entirely and just opt that as the new mechanic. No cooldown, no sprinting, just thrust. I want to play as Mega Man X in an FPS. Non-stop thrust.

ElRenoRaven

Nope. My next 3 games are The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts (Wii u), Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS), and Bioshock Infinite (360).

Haha just watched the walkthrough of one of the Castle maps. The narrator chick says, "what we're going for here is these little environments that are tucked away...making sure no one knows what they're doing exactly." Uhhh sounds like a terrific map.

Caja 117

Haha just watched the walkthrough of one of the Castle maps. The narrator chick says, "what we're going for here is these little environments that are tucked away...making sure no one knows what they're doing exactly."Uhhh sounds like a terrific map.

Thats sounds like a description of the multiplayer Design team (sorry, i Couldn't resist the joke)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
A new thread might be better, does it release globally tomorrow? I don't even know if I can pick it up in the UK.
Not gonna create it myself but would love to participate. This book answers some serious questions and will be pretty important in overall Halo lore. Kind of surprised nobody in this thread is mentioning much about it.

God damn, i check out the waypoint app to see if its been updated and it still shows Reach as the main game. Hasn't been updated since March 2012. Are these guys asleep or what?

How do you guys feel about the concept of Symbiosis in terms of sandbox weapons? That is, the philosophy behind the Mantis-Banshee relationship (arguably counterparts, but almost complete opposites) but applied to individual weapons. I was doing some thinking and my sandbox actually has a bunch, but without having them operate within the same "category" like three rocket launchers, three snipers, etc. would have been done in some of my older revisions. Examples:

Gravity Gauntlet - Huntshot (Default fire is a H2 Brute Shot, charge shot eats 2 rounds, Reach/4-era Fuel Rod round. Direct impact is the only way to get a kill with charge shot. Indirect charge shot can cause EMP, and can also be used to perform TF2-style rocket jumps)
-Greatly augment the user's mobility, either by grappling or explosion launching.
-Can either reel in weapons (Gauntlet) or pull a Halo CE and use a charge shot to blast them towards you (Huntshot)
-Designed to stun, either by force-choking enemies or with EMP/slight blowback on uncharged shots
-High skill curves and probably have the highest capacity for weapon tricks in the entire sandbox

Plasma Pistol (Reach Beta Era) - Combiner (Default fire is H4 needler, charging will release a Shotgun-like blast of needler rounds)
-Powerful "pistols" with charge shot capability, Covenant, etc.

They have such glaring "rivalries" that they could even be used for asymmetrical weapon layouts, even though I try to stray away from those. Is symbiosis a good thing or a bad thing?

Omni

The Outcast map looks pretty good >_> But I've always been a big team whore. It's not enough to make me buy the game again, but I'd happily buy the map pack if I did still have it.

Ooooh. Silentium is out. About to start mah reading. :D

Outsourced

How is it Bungie can work on a multiplatfrom game (that going to be released on 2 generations of consoles) Treyarch can also work on a multiplatfrom game and both have "up to date" apps and sites. 343i have one game for one console and they what, dont have the time?

This is exactly what bugs me about them. They sometimes don't seem to have their shit together.

OverHeat

« generous god »
How is it Bungie can work on a multiplatfrom game (that going to be released on 2 generations of consoles) Treyarch can also work on a multiplatfrom game and both have "up to date" apps and sites. 343i have one game for one console and they what, dont have the time?

This is exactly what bugs me about them. They sometimes don't seem to have their shit together.
Bungie is outsourcing too
Hey all, this is a bit of an ad, but our little middleware studio has worked on Destiny for well over two years actively and I've been around Neogaf for ages. We are going to talk about our work with Bungie with their graphics engine guru Hao Chen at GDC. More info about this here. At least a little bit of new info on the game!

Top Bottom