• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Havok

Doesn't matter if the map plays like shit. It is still included in BTB and labeled as a large map.
Okay then, that's fine, but one or two maps on the edges of our size categories, which I think Ragnarok is, don't recategorize a playlist singlehandedly - otherwise Big Team's inclusion of Wreckage (what I would pretty clearly consider to be a midsized map) destroys this entire thing.

Well now that i'm thinking about it a lot of playlists have big maps in them. BTB, Dominion, Snipers, Action Sack, CTF, Team Objective, and Extraction all have at least one large map in the rotation.

Because you cant have a playlist that is just Haven. So you have to put bigger maps in the smaller playlists.

Its not a chicken or the egg scenario. BTB is most popular because of all the BTB maps. It was not popular before the game came out (none of the playlists were, nobody had the game yet) and they made all the maps big because of it. No, they made too many big maps and because of that playlists that require smaller maps suffer.

4v4 has always been the bread n butter of Halo, and Halo 4 suffers so much from not accommodating that. Doubles playlist wasn't even in Halo 4 for a long time because of how few small maps there are.

The maps should be a 70% small/30% big spread. Off the start. On a 10 map release thats 3 BTB maps, that's good enough until the DLC comes and adds one more per pack. 2 small and 1 big per DLC. Thats just how it should work.

Just no.

With Halo CEA, 343's reasoning for bundling MP maps into Reach's multiplayer was that CE's MP wasn't designed for XBL, and they didn't want to divide Reach's population.

If we were to get a H2 Anniversary, both those excuses are gone. H2's MP was designed for XBL, and H4 will have no population to speak of by the time a H2 Anniversary would be released. If 343 produces an anniversary edition of H2 and doesn't include its original MP intact, I won't even consider buying it. Not for one second.
As great as Halo 2 maps are, I don't want my memory of them ruined from Halo 4's gameplay.
And if 343 manages a way to keep Halo 4's population with said Anniversary Maps like how CEA was with Reach through a Dlc Code or separate disc and kept the Classic settings without 4's gameplay, would you reconsider?

Nebula

I could see Halo 2 Anniversary being first or second on the XBL Activity Chart if it got a standalone release. So many people would jump on that. But we know H4 will be clung onto by 343 and we will just get a map pack.

IHaveIce

Banned
I could see Halo 2 Anniversary being first or second on the XBL Activity Chart if it got a standalone release. So many people would jump on that. But we know H4 will be clung onto by 343 and we will just get a map pack.
Not even Halo 2 would beat CoD, Minecraft and Fifa

The original COD gets a full featured port on consoles as a bonus for one of the releases and gets put on the marketplace for purchase.

Have to remove multiplayer in CEA for fear of cannibalizing Reach.

:(

JHall

And if 343 manages a way to keep Halo 4's population with said Anniversary Maps like how CEA was with Reach through a Dlc Code or separate disc and kept the Classic settings without 4's gameplay, would you reconsider?

No. 343i is so set on sticking to their guns regarding sprint, no de-scoping, tiny FOV, slow sloppy strafing, no flag juggling, etc. Even with Bravo working there, I don't trust them making "classic" settings.

What you're basically describing is a completely different game than H4. In that case, it probably needs to actually be a completely different game.

Also- the 10 year anniversary of H2's release would be fall of 2014. Do we really think that H4's population will be worth noting at that point given the current trend of population decline?

Tunavi

Banned
The Halo franchise is such an absolute mess right now.

There's absolutely no clear vision for the series. Everything is being crammed into one game without any attention to balance.

JHall

Halo 2 HD needs to be it's own game with full multiplayer. Change absolutely nothing. See which population is better and which game is more well received through all Halo communities. Then make a company decision on which type of gameplay they should focus on for Halo 5. Classic Halo or random Halo with AA's, ordinance, and loadouts.

Dirtbag

There's absolutely no clear vision for the series. Everything is being crammed into one game without any attention to balance.

not that I disagree or fully agree...
Did you just come to this realization now?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 2 HD needs to be it's own game with full multiplayer. Change absolutely nothing. See which population is better and which game is more well received through all Halo communities. Then make a company decision on which type of gameplay they should focus on for Halo 5. Classic Halo or random Halo with AA's, ordinance, and loadouts.

I'd be fine with this. I do have a gut feeling, however, that Halo 2 HD won't be the return of Jesus some of you are expecting it to be. What if it just does alright? What if Halo 4 has higher average numbers?

Halo 2 may have been lightening in a bottle being that it hit the market at the perfect time. Bringing it 9 years into the future may show how hard the FPS market is to sell in right now.

Its going to be interesting to see the direction of the next one. Will they say they failed to make it more COD, or did they do it too much, or not well enough. Should be real interesting.

The other thing about H2A is that, if it were to be released on its 10-year anniversary, it would really only make sense as a next-gen release. The new console would be a year into its life cycle by then. Just another reason not to try and roll it into H4.

JHall

I'd be fine with this. I do have a gut feeling, however, that Halo 2 HD won't be the return of Jesus some of you are expecting it to be. What if it just does alright? What if Halo 4 has higher average numbers?

Halo 2 may have been lightening in a bottle being that it hit the market at the perfect time. Bringing it 9 years into the future may show how hard the FPS market is to sell in right now.

I'm not saying H2 will over take CoD or FIFA on the XBL charts. That's an extremely hard task to accomplish. But I do believe it will do better than H4.

Hell, if H4 has better numbers than so be it. I won't lose any sleep.

No. 343i is so set on sticking to their guns regarding sprint, no de-scoping, tiny FOV, slow sloppy strafing, no flag juggling, etc. Even with Bravo working there, I don't trust them making "classic" settings.
Bravo didn't reply to my comment about Classic Settings a month ago. Sad to say I feel the same way as you do.
What you're basically describing is a completely different game than H4. In that case, it probably needs to actually be a completely different game.

Also- the 10 year anniversary of H2's release would be fall of 2014. Do we really think that H4's population will be worth noting at that point given the current trend of population decline?

Arbiter: [standing before the heirarchs and the counsel] There was only one ship. Prophet of Truth: One? Are you sure? Arbiter: Yes. They called it the "Pillar of HALOGAF" Prophet of Mercy: Why was it not destroyed with the rest of their fleet? Arbiter: It fled as we set fire to their community forums. I followed with all the Salt in my command. Prophet of Regret: When you first saw OG Halo, were you blinded by its magesty? Arbiter: Blinded? Prophet of Regret: Paralyzed? Dumbstruck? Arbiter: No! Prophet of Regret: Yet HALOGAF were able to evade your Saltyness, land on the sacred ring, and descrate it with their filty footsteps! Arbiter: Noble 343 Industries, surely you understand that once Team Downer attacked... [crowd uproars] Prophet of Mercy: There will be order in this Halo Council! Prophet of Truth: [Gestures the crowd to be silent] You were right to focus your attention on HALOGAF, but this Demon? This BRAVOMLG? Arbiter: By the time I learned of the Demon's intent, there was nothing I could do! [crowd uproars again] Prophet of Regret: [whispering] Prophet of Truth, this has gone on long enough! Make an example of this bungler! The Halo Counsil demands it! Prophet of Truth: [to the Arbiter] You are one of our most treasured instruments. Long have you lead your Saltyness with honor and distinction. But, your inability to safeguard OG Halo was a colossal failure. Counselman: Nay! It was heresy! [crowd uproars intensely] Arbiter: I will continue my campaign against HALOGAF! Prophet of Truth: No, you will not. [Signals the Honor Guards to take him away] Prophet of Truth: The Great Infinity Playlists Journey is about to begin. But, when it does, the weight of your heresy will stay your feet... and you shall be left behind.

Its going to be interesting to see the direction of the next one. Will they say they failed to make it more COD, or did they do it too much, or not well enough. Should be real interesting.
343 chased after the wrong franchise. Rather than chase the COD dragon, they should have used the first and/or second Halo game as a yardstick to measure 4's success against.

Instead we have this Brundlefly meld of unnecessary and unwanted extras that has shunned too many people for the multiplayer to be called an unmitigated success, in my opinion.

I played Halo 4 over the weekend

Its exactly that, the times have changed a lot since the Halo2 days. Halo 2 wont do any better than 4. Most casual people will try it out of nostalgia and when the next COD game comes out, they're gone, just like they did 4.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I want them to rerelease Halo 2 just so that we can kill any and all rose-tinted views once an for all.

This.

No one remembers the glitches, the Matchmaking that was overrun with modders, the host advantage.

Even if someone fixed the glitches and managed to make it somewhat good again, you'd still have the horrible weapon balance and ppistol combo and the sword.

Swipe sniping, lottery shotgun, 2-3 good maps. The game was a wreck, it was just the best online console FPS at the time.

Havok

This.

No one remembers the glitches, the Matchmaking that was overrun with modders, the host advantage.

Even if someone fixed the glitches and managed to make it somewhat good again, you'd still have the horrible weapon balance and ppistol combo and the sword.

Swipe sniping, lottery shotgun, 2-3 good maps. The game was a wreck, it was just the best online console FPS at the time.
Vista version doesn't have the modding problem (or at least the community that still plays it doesn't indulge in that), doesn't have the host advantage with dedicated servers though latency still exists, fixed a bunch of the various bugs. Dated netcode causes issues like the shotgun and sword inconsistency, nothing stopping it from being updated with a rerelease. I play the game regularly, it's still great even suffering through the H2PC community's awful taste in gametype settings. It's almost like, get this, a rerelease could fix things that were broken instead of blindly bringing them forward into the new product! Y'know, the only thing that would possibly be sensible?

I can't tell if you actually think that Halo 2 only had 2-3 good maps or if you're trying to make a really bad joke.
Midship Lockout Ivory Tower. Whoops, forgot about Sanctuary. Anything else is big team garbo and that was DEFINITELY where the host won.
I can't imagine how horribly bummed the map pools in every Halo since then has made you if that's what you think, then.

This.

We all remember the modders and host advantage. Most of us also disagree with you about the amount of good maps and the weapon balance.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Vista version doesn't have the modding problem (or at least the community that still plays it doesn't indulge in that), doesn't have the host advantage with dedicated servers though latency still exists, fixed a bunch of the various bugs. Dated netcode causes issues like the shotgun and sword inconsistency, nothing stopping it from being updated with a rerelease. I play the game regularly, it's still great even suffering through the H2PC community's awful taste in gametype settings. It's almost like they can fix things with a rerelease instead of releasing it with all the original problems.

I can't tell if you actually think that Halo 2 only had 2-3 good maps or if you're trying to make a really bad joke.

BXR is still possible, though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Vista version doesn't have the modding problem (or at least the community that still plays it doesn't indulge in that), doesn't have the host advantage with dedicated servers, fixed a bunch of the various bugs. Dated netcode causes issues like the shotgun and sword inconsistency, nothing stopping it from being updated with a rerelease.

Midship Lockout Ivory Tower. Whoops, forgot about Sanctuary. Anything else is big team garbo and that was DEFINITELY where the host won.

Make no mistake that the next Xbox will be marketed as your one-stop shop for all things entertainment, but that doesn't mean that it won't do what we want for gaming.

Mirrors my thoughts. In the moment I was excited for PS4, but looking back to its reveal wasn't really that grand. E3 will be phenomenal this year for all platforms.

Played H2V a couple of months ago. Still my favorite Halo mp.

Combat Evolved 2's inspiration:

h2ce.jpg

Start here then add accordingly. Best Halo game ever made.

You didn't like Lockout, Beaver Creek, Ascension, and Turf?

And just because you didn't like Big Team doesn't mean that the rest of us can't. H2 had some unbelievable BTB maps.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

And just because you didn't like Big Team doesn't mean that the rest of us can't. H2 had some unbelievable BTB maps.

I said lockout, BC was alright I guess.

Ascension was broken but that may have been the way weapons spawned/didn't spawn if you were holding them. Get the other tower snipe and sit back = win.

It's not like I didn't "like" big team, it's that it was impossible to play.

Madness

This.

No one remembers the glitches, modders and other problems because it wasn't as big as they make it out to be now. The way people write about Halo 2, make it seem like it was unplayable back then, which is just not true. And believe me, every online multiplayer game had glitches, modders etc. They still do, to this day.

The difference is, we are so connected, a glitch is found and then quickly shared and then it gets patched up at lightning speed ie. Javelin glitch in CoD, the complex window glitch in Halo 4.

If H2 was a wreck, everything else must've been a piece of shit by your standards. Because my mind is on starcraft recently, I still remember when map hacks and mineral hacks were found. The entire strategic point of the game was thrown out the window when you could see where people were amassing armies or what they were building etc.

Glitches, modders, cheaters, it's a fact of life when it comes to multiplayer games. They've always been around. No game is perfect.

Fotos

Waterworks <3

I have a request for HaloGAF. Can one of you crop out the faces of the two pictures? Thanks.

1.http://www.halopedia.org/images/thumb/e/e4/H4_Palmer_cropped.png/300px-H4_Palmer_cropped.png

2.http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121127164711/halo/images/f/f3/Henry_Glassman.jpg

It's not like I didn't "like" big team, it's that it was impossible to play.

What the hell is this, I don't even.. Well at least it's fact that the sky is blue and Halo 2 BTB is the best in the series.

Halo 1 BTB was fun and so was Halo 3 (sometimes), but Halo 2 BTB was in a whole other league. I think I would pay $60 just for Halo 2's BTB playlist.

And damn, just watched the Outcast reveal and rocks.... rocks everywhere. I thought we moved on from this ;'[

Caja 117

Microsoft has to really blow me away to convince me to buy the next Xbox instead of the PS4. I have very little interest in new Halo games, DRM or Kinect.

Im on the same boat as you, I dislike the PS controller, but with the "no used game" rumors Running around the new xbox, Halo apparent direction on Multiplayer gameplay, and lack of any other interesting IP (new Gears is also going on Halo's direction) I will just prefer to adjust to tge PS controller.

Top Bottom