• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Overdoziz

Banned
To be fair to microsoft, the xbox 360 has come a very long way since being released. It has apps, a totally different and constantly updating UI, music, movies, the whole nine yards. It seems they have been paying attention to what people want while still making money. I don't think it's going to be very hard for microsoft to make a competing console that is nearly as good as whatever Sony finally releases.
90% of which require you to pay an additional membership fee on top of XBL Gold.

Karl2177

It looks like it would have been better as a Firefight map.

tumblr_inline_mg40dl5EWo1qholdk.jpg

DeadNames

Banned
I really wish they brought back more of those Zanzibar elements to maps, like opening doors and walkways, etc... More elements that could change the way you play on the maps.

This. I really liked things like that.

I also miss elements in the map that could hurt you. Like the train on Terminal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I can't believe how uninterested I am in a Halo map pack. Shit is sad. I'm tired of this BTB shit man.

Duji

Yeah the PS4 presentation blew me away. If the next Xbox doesn't impress at E3 I will very likely switch my primary gaming time over to Sony's machine.

Microsoft has to really blow me away to convince me to buy the next Xbox instead of the PS4. I have very little interest in new Halo games, DRM or Kinect.

Agreed. MS looks to be ditching the core gaming audience and shifting towards soccer moms and eight year olds.

Havok

It's impossible for me to get excited about a map that's being pushed as a Dominion and Big Team Slayer experience. Maybe that'll change once we see what Big Team Objective is, but boy, those two gametypes couldn't possibly be less interesting to me given they're both stepchildren of the Heavies abomination.

It's a shame, because I think those vehicle routes are actually pretty interesting and the way they segregate infantry and vehicles looks to be reasonably well done, but if the gametypes aren't good, then the map suffers for it. Those bases aren't really doing it for me, though. It's a protruding wall with a walkway on top of it.

Also, those tanks are going to be super OP there. That's the downside to short, tight infantry routes - tank splash is going to reach into those cubbies really easily. There's nothing wrong with being a Warthog/Ghost-only map, fellas. Not everything needs a Mantis, Wraith, Scorpion, or Banshee shoved in there.
Halo 4 has the worst BTB out of any Halo. FACT. DMR's on larger maps are horrible. Ordnance sucks. Being able to spawn with a Plasma Pistol and Plasma Nades is foolish. Nothing annoys me more then getting stunned while in a vehicle from like 100ft away by some noob with a plasma pistol. As soon as the stun goes away he shoots another one until he gets right next to me and sticks me. This game has so much potential but is just ruined by stupid shit.
None of those are even the biggest issue, at least not for me. Big Team Slayer stinks, always has. Now it's the only thing in there. The loadout stuff they can probably handle with relative ease if they choose to by making presets, but there are only two gametypes in H4 that are even remotely suitable for Big Team (CTF, Extraction), and both of those will require significant work to make them palatable with 16 players. Heck, CTF with 10 people currently is nothing short of a ridiculous step backwards, adding more DMRs swinging over to that carrier waypoint is only going to make it worse.

Fotos

Halo 4 has the worst BTB out of any Halo. FACT. DMR's on larger maps are horrible. Ordnance sucks. Being able to spawn with a Plasma Pistol and Plasma Nades is foolish. Nothing annoys me more then getting stunned while in a vehicle from like 100ft away by some noob with a plasma pistol. As soon as the stun goes away he shoots another one until he gets right next to me and sticks me. This game has so much potential but is just ruined by stupid shit.

EDIT: Forgot AA's. Camo Snipers on Ragnarok make me wanna break the game.

2 playlists use the large set of maps
14 playlists use the small set of maps

All large set of maps then? Yep, makes perfect sense.

These 3 map packs were planned in advance to come with the legendary version of the game. The plan was already set in motion a long time ago, they cant just abandon them.

wwm0nkey

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Wow that map is bad. I like how they talk about how bad vehicles are on the map. "You can overcharge it, board it, grenade it, pop-out and surpise it......lots of little cubbie holes so you can charge up a power weapon, take out a vehicle and advance".

What the fuck? That does not sound fun at all.

Madness

To be fair to microsoft, the xbox 360 has come a very long way since being released. It has apps, a totally different and constantly updating UI, music, movies, the whole nine yards. It seems they have been paying attention to what people want while still making money. I don't think it's going to be very hard for microsoft to make a competing console that is nearly as good as whatever Sony finally releases.

To be fair, 90% of those changes were resisted by the player base when they were introduced. I remember when they got rid of the blade system which worked perfectly. The problem is, it was a games console that they haphazardly tried to turn into an entertainment unit.

And, outside of the US, it made little sense since many countries did not even get the features. For example, why did Canadians need to get the update when there were little to no movies, music, shows, netflix or anything FOR YEARS.

I'm all for fixing problems, but in 2008 or 2009, I don't remember, they issued an HDMI update fix. It was mandatory. I was running a launch console that did not even have HDMI, I was forced to download it. It red ringed my xbox as soon as the update happened. I wasn't alone, it happened to hundreds of others as well.

I have no problem with them wanting to add such features, but for those of us, who can't/don't utilize them, we need a change. If you want the apps, the streaming, the shows, the music, you buy the full featured xbox live gold. If you just want to play multiplayer or download dlc or add-ons, there should be a second tier, above silver, but below full featured gold. I mean I can't believe I'm saying it since every other system allows free multiplayer, but cmon.

Madness

These 3 map packs were planned in advance to come with the legendary version of the game. The plan was already set in motion a long time ago, they cant just abandon them.

They were planned, but whether they were developed is another story. I mean the only reason. Majestic maps were small to midsized, was because of all the shit that Crimson got. They even stated that more small maps are coming.

I guess because the pros and those who enjoy classic halo have sort of left or stopped playing, they decided to make these large maps again for Castle for the thousands of people playing btb infinity, action sack fiesta.

When it comes down to it, we all knew it would happen, throw down barely cracks 500 players, whereas btb infinity draws 10,000+, so who will they cater the new map pack to?

EDIT: Yikes! Wall of text double post. I should really just say one or two sentences and stop.

Fotos

So Extraction's pretty cool,

f9xEpyi.png

(Changed my name to Foxtrot H4 by the way. GAF name will change soon.)

But I actually was in a really good Extraction game the other day. We were down 4-0 and Won 5-4. Really intense game. Extraction is definitely one of my favorite Halo game types. Deserves be there up with CTF, Oddball, and KotH
and Assault :'(

Plan out the packs in a way that makes some sense.

Every Halo game to this point has had the majority of the playlists and matchmaking population in playlists that use the smaller set of maps, Halo 4 wasn't going to be any different, and they didn't plan it to be any different, yet they make the majority of the maps the larger set.

You can't even play BTB objective in matchmaking (what BTB was made for, BTB Slayer has never been good in Halo IMO) and yet most of the maps in the game are for that.

Hey HaloGAF, was wondering if anyone can link/post the Halo 4 team emblems, specifically the Blue Sting Ray and the Red Shark.

I need these for a project in my Graphics class, since I'm at school I can view any of the files on Google Images (specifically, this one from Halo Council, because ImageShack is blocked, and the image is also not loading on my phone. Can someone please do me the favor of re-hosting and uploading that, and linking it/posting it for me? Or if you have just the StingRay and Shark, that'd be good as well.

Thanks to anyone who does this for me. :D

I can't believe how uninterested I am in a Halo map pack. Shit is sad. I'm tired of this BTB shit man.

Yup. As soon as I saw a mantis (which is such a mediocre addition to the vehicle set) I instantly thought less of the map. In fact, as soon as I see a vehicle on any map in Halo 4 I zone out; as long as players can spawn with plasma pistols and plasma nades they will remain absolutely worthless and a Harvard lesson in how not to execute a sandbox with a loadout system.

Really, 343's DLC strategy has been very poor and a wild mis-allocation of map size to playlist ratio.

Madness

Plan out the packs in a way that makes some sense.

Every Halo game to this point has had the majority of the playlists and matchmaking population in playlists that use the smaller set of maps, Halo 4 wasn't going to be any different, and they didn't plan it to be any different, yet they make the majority of the maps the larger set.

You can't even play BTB objective in matchmaking (what BTB was made for, BTB Slayer has never been good in Halo IMO) and yet most of the maps in the game are for that.

This. The best BTB has always been Objective. The only time i've really enjoyed BTB slayer was on maps with fewer vehicles, no tanks etc.

They were planned, but whether they were developed is another story. I mean the only reason. Majestic maps were small to midsized, was because of all the shit that Crimson got. They even stated that more small maps are coming.

I guess because the pros and those who enjoy classic halo have sort of left or stopped playing, they decided to make these large maps again for Castle for the thousands of people playing btb infinity, action sack fiesta.

When it comes down to it, we all knew it would happen, throw down barely cracks 500 players, whereas btb infinity draws 10,000+, so who will they cater the new map pack to?

EDIT: Yikes! Wall of text double post. I should really just say one or two sentences and stop.

The maps in these 3 packs were thought of before the game even launched. They had that smaller map pack because, quite simply, they cant release 3 packs of big maps. Its logic plain and simple. The complaining didn't change that.

The game was originally designed for the bigger vehicular game types yes (like dominion and BTB) but that was before the game launched. Things have changed now. I can guarantee you that the next map pack will be all small to mid sized maps exactly because of all the complaining. The complaining has effected what they do next, not what they were working on since before the game launched.

That would also be the best pack for them to charge for, the one with all the small maps.

The maps in these 3 packs were thought of before the game even launched. They had that smaller map pack because, quite simply, they cant release 3 packs of big maps. Its logic plain and simple. The complaining didn't change that.

The game was originally designed for the bigger vehicular game types yes (like dominion and BTB) but that was before the game launched. Things have changed now. I can guarantee you that the next map pack will be all small to mid sized maps exactly because of all the complaining. The complaining has effected what they do next, not what they were working on since before the game launched.

That would also be the best pack for them to charge for, the one with all the small maps.
Halo 2 Anniversary Arena Maps

BTB is the most popular playlist in H4 though.

Based on the numbers right now, the two playlists that use the large maps account for 29% of the War Games population. Yes, that's a much higher ratio than 2 and 14, but how does 29% call for the majority of the maps?

ElRenoRaven

Thought those entering this contest may want to see what it is I'm giving away.

Also again for the new page.

So I've decided that I'm going to give back to Halogaf since in the past people were good to me and hooked me up with stuff. There is one small limitation though. It's limited to US Halogaf sadly. The cost to ship this overseas would cost me more then the item.

Now all that said here is what is up for grabs. I am giving away 1 Hardback copy of Halo Silentium. I ordered and have now received a copy from Amazon to give away. Now here is all you have to do to be entered is PM me. Everyone has until March 19th at 11:59PM PST. That's Tuesday. Any PM's sent after that time will not be eligible.

On Wednesday the 20th I'll announce the winner as soon as I can. I do work so it will probably be sometime in the evening after I've had a chance to get home and pick the winner. So there you go. Again sorry for those not in the US but I'm sure you can understand.

Also as a note to foreign HaloGaffers. Later probably this next weekend I'll be running one for something I can hook you guys up with so don't feel left out on this one. You'll have your own.

Halo 2 Anniversary Arena Maps

Just no.

With Halo CEA, 343's reasoning for bundling MP maps into Reach's multiplayer was that CE's MP wasn't designed for XBL, and they didn't want to divide Reach's population.

If we were to get a H2 Anniversary, both those excuses are gone. H2's MP was designed for XBL, and H4 will have no population to speak of by the time a H2 Anniversary would be released. If 343 produces an anniversary edition of H2 and doesn't include its original MP intact, I won't even consider buying it. Not for one second.

heckfu

Banned
Love the aesthetic. Map looks solid overall. More vehicles, yeah, but we kind of knew this pack was another big one going in. I'm hoping they announce another pack at PAX East that has a few more smaller maps.

I do enjoy big team, however.

All I want is more maps like in Majestic. I dont like Big Team in this game; I just want to play classic settings on smaller arena maps.

Fotos

Based on the numbers right now, the two playlists that use the large maps account for 29% of the War Games population. Yes, that's a much higher ratio than 2 and 14, but how does 29% call for the majority of the maps?

Well now that i'm thinking about it a lot of playlists have big maps in them. BTB, Dominion, Snipers, Action Sack, CTF, Team Objective, and Extraction all have at least one large map in the rotation.

Havok

BTB is the most popular playlist in H4 though.

To add to this, the populations at peak times (which give us trends that generalize fairly well to other times of day) do not reflect the split in the map pool that they should. Dominion and Big Team combined, using yesterday's data, peaked at around 16,300. The small-to-midsized map playlists, excluding both Majestic playlists and those that use both categories like Team Snipers and Extraction (I don't really count Ragnarok as a Big Team map, and never will because it plays like shit with 16 people so Objective et al are in this category), peaked cumulatively at ~30,800 - nearly twice as many players. We aren't really seeing that in the map counts. Part of that is probably that there are a few like Ragnarok and Exile that split the difference between working with 16 and 10 players (I suspect that with a 8 player CTF playlist both of those would play horribly).

ElRenoRaven

There are supposed to be codes for Waypoint in there, you should totally post those...

I would if I knew what I was looking for. The book is all there was in the package as you can see and if it's in the book then I'd not know where to look. Also I think the winner would prefer I not go thumbing through their prize. lol

m23

People receiving their copies of Silentium huh, with my luck mine will arrive sometime next week. Please be careful of the spoilers people.

heckfu

Banned
Happy March Madness! As we did last year, I'm hosting a HaloGaf March Madness bracket challenge. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll respond with the group link and password. Sorry lurkers and random posters, this is open to regular posters of this group only and 'regular', of course, is up to my discretion.

The tournament has been seeded so make sure you get your picks in before too long!

And the same as last year, I'll be fronting a mystery prize to the winner (unless it's me again :D)

Fotos

To add to this, the populations at peak times (which give us trends that generalize fairly well to other times of day) do not reflect the split in the map pool that they should. Dominion and Big Team combined, using yesterday's data, peaked at around 16,300. The small-to-midsized map playlists, excluding both Majestic playlists and those that use both categories like Team Snipers and Extraction (I don't count Ragnarok as a Big Team map, and never will because it plays like shit with 16 people so Objective et al are in this category), peaked cumulatively at ~30,800 - nearly twice as many players. We aren't seeing that in the map counts.

Doesn't matter if the map plays like shit. It is still included in BTB and labeled as a large map.

Top Bottom