• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fuchsdh

RIP Halo.

All you need is a fancy animation to feel fast right?
Perception is a lot of it. It doesn't matter if everyone is running around like they're in ghost mode, the animation is going to feel faster.

I like sprint because it makes things faster without being faster all the time and there's a tangible risk/reward for using it. Try and beat the other team to the power weapon? Or sit back and trust in your superior aim to stop them first?

Pop

Yeaaap. Going back to previous games feels sooooooo slow after having sprint. Don't really want to go back to that

To be fair, we wouldn't need sprint in H4 if the maps weren't all catered to BTB. Even the "smaller" maps seem huge, sprint was probably added in just for getting across CA's huge maps.

H3 and halo games before that maps felt right, like the right size. Sprint wasn't needed. We actually had small and medium size maps that didn't need sprint at all. Movement felt perfect.

Find a way to fix the melee plus sprint combo, then it will be good. If not, remove sprint.

Regular melees to kill should be 3. 1 for shield, 2 for health. Use Halo 2's momentum system - jump melees, running melees, etc. do additional damage. Sprint Melee will not receive any bonuses, however. This also buffs Thruster by extension because it could potentially be a two-hit kill.

Perception is a lot of it. It doesn't matter if everyone is running around like they're in ghost mode, the animation is going to feel faster.

I like sprint because it makes things faster without being faster all the time and there's a tangible risk/reward for using it. Try and beat the other team to the power weapon? Or sit back and trust in your superior aim to stop them first?

You sit back, trust your superior aim, and pick up the flag by accident.

Gui_PT

ixtpkWBLy4pXw.gif

Havok

Regular melees to kill should be 3. 1 for shield, 2 for health.
This is backwards.

Being totally vulnerable after one melee is not fun. With 2 hit shields, you could still take two BR shots after a melee, meaning you weren't screwed if someone came up to melee. Halving it breaks that.

This is backwards.

Being totally vulnerable after one melee is not fun. With 2 hit shields, you could still take two BR shots after a melee, meaning you weren't screwed if someone came up to melee. Halving it breaks that.

The only issue is that then you're likewise vulnerable to Sprint-Melee after shields. Maybe 4 in regular combat, but "running" or jumping or thrusting switches it to 3?

The more I play Halo 4 the more I feel like something is missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but at times it just seems to be lacking something that Halo 2 and 3 had.. I'm not sure if it is map design or what. I honestly do not think it is AA's, or variable starting weapons.. random ordinance may be part of the problem though. It just doesn't feel as..interesting?

Havok

The only issue is that then you're likewise vulnerable to Sprint-Melee after shields. Maybe 4 in regular combat, but "running" or jumping or thrusting switches it to 3?
I don't know that I've ever seen someone successfully sprint/melee to finish an attack after starting it with his gun, why would it suddenly become an issue now? It presents a problem as an opener because of its ability to close distance when the defender isn't aware, not as a closer when the fight is almost over anyway. I get what you're saying, but it's not fixing the problem that we have to the degree that the tradeoff of being instantly vulnerable on one melee from anywhere on the map is worth it.

The inertial melee system was designed to combat a wholly different problem anyway: people camping at corners, which happens with regularity now. Somebody just sitting there wasn't that powerful, but if they jumped and gave away their radar silence, all of a sudden they were a problem. That's what made it being 2HKO fine, because you could see them coming unless they timed it perfectly or were playing no-radar settings.

The more I play Halo 4 the more I feel like something is missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but at times it just seems to be lacking something that Halo 2 and 3 had.. I'm not sure if it is map design or what. I honestly do not think it is AA's, or variable starting weapons.. random ordinance may be part of the problem though. It just doesn't feel as..interesting?

Fun is the word you're looking for

But for a serious answer, Halo 4 definitely lacks the soul (a word I hate using) that Halo 1-3 had.

I don't know that I've ever seen someone successfully sprint/melee to finish an attack, why would it suddenly become an issue now? It presents a problem as an opener because of its ability to close distance when the defender isn't aware, not as a closer when the fight is almost over anyway.

The inertial melee system was designed to combat a wholly different problem anyway: people camping at corners, which happens with regularity now. Somebody just sitting there wasn't that powerful, but if they jumped and gave away their radar silence, all of a sudden they were a problem. That's what made it being 2HKO fine, because you could see them coming unless they timed it perfectly or were playing no-radar settings.

You have a point.

Another thing I don't get: why not have people moving show up on the motion tracker, crouching people not show up, but make people standing still show up and emit a small "pulse" every few seconds to indicate they're idle/camping?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I used to be on the fence, but I'm firmly in the anti-sprint camp now. It just has too many negative effects on gameplay and map design. It's fun to do -- sprinting and weaving and leaping around maps feels great -- but it's not worth it.

Conor 419

Banned
Halo went to Washington as a guest. He ate Frankie's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may 343i choke upon their fables. I drink with Frankie, jape with Jessica, promise Ellis the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The fans remember, Lord Davos. The fans remember, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo went to Washington as a guest. He ate Frankie's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may 343i choke upon their fables. I drink with Frankie, jape with Jessica, promise Ellis the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The fans remember, Lord Davos. The fans remember, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

jlaw-okay.gif

What

Tawpgun

Yeah, I used to be on the fence, but I'm firmly in the anti-sprint camp now. It just has too many negative effects on gameplay and map design. It's fun to do -- sprinting and weaving and leaping around maps feels great -- but it's not worth it.
How I feel. Unfortunately there's no way they're getting rid of it.

Least we could get is an option.

Its like they never quite figured out how to incorporate it- map design as suffered at its expense. I would love to see a return to classic Halo feel with the new stuff, and I am sure it possible, but it would take some work. I also want to see a return to the Halo staple of putting control in the players hands.. such as sprint toggle for custom games, and a playlist to support it. Shame 343 took away a lot of simple stuff like that just to promote their vision.

I like Halo 4, but it frustrates the hell out of me and leaves me feeling meh a lot of the time. As said above, it kinda lacks that Halo Soul that 1-3 had.. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't feel the same. Hell, the move away from symmetrical arena style maps is probably part of the issue.

Did anyone read one of the last Penny Arcade Report ? It's about modern shooters and how their design reduces the cap between old & good and new players.

Halo is mentionned, and I think it means Halo 4 (and of course a bit of Reach). If it's not already done, you should read this article : http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/call-of-duty-is-making-us-dumb-how-modern-shooters-are-robbing-us-of-s

yea they're talking about Halo 4. Sure reach had loadouts, but it's not like you had to rank up to obtain certain armor abilities or weapons.

BigShow36

Yep. Glad they spent time on fixing one vehicle that appears on one map instead of just taking it out of the map.

Now I'm scared it is on all the new DLC maps.

Don't worry though, they fixed the auto aim and magnetism for it, which was the real big issue with the vehicle.

Its like they never quite figured out how to incorporate it- map design as suffered at its expense. I would love to see a return to classic Halo feel with the new stuff, and I am sure it possible, but it would take some work. I also want to see a return to the Halo staple of putting control in the players hands.. such as sprint toggle for custom games, and a playlist to support it. Shame 343 took away a lot of simple stuff like that just to promote their vision.

I like Halo 4, but it frustrates the hell out of me and leaves me feeling meh a lot of the time. As said above, it kinda lacks that Halo Soul that 1-3 had.. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't feel the same. Hell, the move away from symmetrical arena style maps is probably part of the issue.
The game certainly feels like style over substance. Lots of extraneous stuff that I've never seen fans ask for, continuation of multiplayer aspects that vocal fans specifically rebuked, and apparently the visual upgrade came at a huge cost of long-standing features.

I was really psyched to hear that 343 was being comprised of actual long-time fans of the game, but damned if I can see that in a lot of decisions that were made.

Yet I still play this game.

The Gauss Hog on Exile problem is a perfect example of how all these mistakes made by 343 are interconnected. Putting a Gauss on a couple of maps wouldn't be such a big deal if not for the random global ordnance system. Prior to H4, you could put a laser or rockets in each of the bases so that either team has a way to coordinate and take the other team's Gauss down if it gets too aggressive and pushes too hard toward your base.

Now, after the initial weapon spawn, you don't know what you're going to get in your base or when you're going to get it. Might be Rockets, or it might be a needler or a shotgun. If it's the latter, welp- guess you get to spend another two minutes getting donged on by that Gauss Hog, bro!

BigShow36

The Gauss Hog on Exile problem is a perfect example of how all these mistakes made by 343 are interconnected. Putting a Gauss on a couple of maps wouldn't be such a big deal if not for the random global ordnance system. Prior to H4, you could put a laser or rockets in each of the bases so that either team has a way to coordinate and take the other team's Gauss down if it gets too aggressive and pushes too hard toward your base.

Now, after the initial weapon spawn, you don't know what you're going to get in your base or when you're going to get it. Might be Rockets, or it might be a needler or a shotgun. If it's the latter, welp- guess you get to spend another two minutes getting donged on by that Gauss Hog, bro!

Which leads us even further down the chain of poor Halo decisions where the made vehicle's practically unstoppable unless you had an "anti-vehicle" weapon.

Tawpgun

Lol, gauss hog isn't op because people don't have power weapons. People spawn with plasmas and an emp gun. There's literally no need for any anti vehicle weapons.

It's just op by nature

Duji

hbd yuhas.

Also there's something I discovered that I wanna share with you guys. Some might like it and others might find it stupid.

I was playing H3 campaign one day and my headphones started rumbling whenever I fired my gun or was shot at. My hps never did that before and it was really weird. I then looked to see that my headphone cord was touching my xbox 360 controller. The effect it made was super cool and felt really immersive. I wouldn't use it for MP games, though.

HPs + vibrating controller = win?

Try it out, guys. Maybe I'm just crazy.

JHall

hbd yuhas.

Also there's something I discovered that I wanna share with you guys. Some might like it and others might find it stupid.

I was playing H3 campaign one day and my headphones started rumbling whenever I fired my gun or was shot at. My hps never did that before and it was really weird. I then looked to see that my headphone cord was touching my xbox 360 controller. The effect it made was super cool and felt really immersive. I wouldn't use it for MP games, though.

HPs + vibrating controller = win?

Try it out, guys. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Ew, you play with vibration on?

so to those who have been to pax before (east or prime), what time did you start lining up for the panel (like a half-hour before or more) and how do they choose people to ask questions?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I dont want them to remove sprint. Imagine having to walk around all these BTB maps? Fuck that.
Increase base movement speed and provide an abundance of vehicles. Add man cannons and teleporters if necessary.

Okay, I know it sounds kind of lacking, but it's better than sprint.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
so to those who have been to pax before (east or prime), what time did you start lining up for the panel (like a half-hour before or more) and how do they choose people to ask questions?

1-2 hours at Prime, and usually you go up to a mic for questions, first come-first serve. I think my group was in like for the Prime Halo 4 panel 2 hours early and got the front of the line, only to see Fu and Duncan waltz up with Alison and get right in. :p In their defense I had non-HaloGaffers in tow. I did get to meet Frank that day though.

Ew, you play with vibration on?

the fuck kind of opinion is this

I have to say though, the Bulletin appearance revision has really gone a long way, even down to little things like the screenshots appearing throughout with word wraps. Content's still a bit lackluster but I think I might actually like the look of the new 343 updates over the BWUs.

Tawpgun

I usually got there at 10 or whenever it opened because fuck waking up earlier. Though I'll get there ASAP on friday whenever my morning lab gets out. I know that there is a line that builds up early. If you want to beat longass wait lines then try and get there early to line up and rush the most popular booths.

I know Halo 4 booth will be giving away swag to some early people.

And they'll probably have a mic line for questions.

The Halo 4 panel is probably gonna have a line building early on. At NYCC we got there like almost an hour early and the line was massive.

Top Bottom