• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

If 343 had any idea what was good they would have noticed it with throwdown and moved the entire MP experience in that direction. Instead, we get fixed for flood.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If 343 had any idea what was good they would have noticed it with throwdown and moved the entire MP experience in that direction. Instead, we get fixed for flood.

Oh you play Throwdown? You sound like a douche but I do need some people to play with. GT = TashiGAF. If you suck I'm booting you from the party.

Fuchsdh

If Tashi is a BK, then we are all BKs, and when The Great Journey happens all of HaloGAF... will be left behind.

Petetheduck mentioned that thus far he hasn't seen new Forge pieces in the preview vid, but the palette looks a lot like a nice, cleaner version of the Ravine set; I'd have hoped for either a substantially different look or a push towards the Impact tileset but it still looks like this will be the place I go Forging immediately.

Hang 'em High being built almost off the island suggests there's some comfy kill zone boundaries, at least horizontally; I really hope we can go down and build closer to the water around the islands too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi gonna Tashi. Haters be Tashi. Tashi be Haters.

I don't even know what this means.

Anyway, the next couple weeks are shaping up to be awesome for Halo 4. We got the Throwdown update coming on Monday and then the TU and Forge Island. Should be sick.

TheOddOne

Anyway, the next couple weeks are shaping up to be awesome for Halo 4. We got the Throwdown update coming on Monday and then the TU and Forge Island. Should be sick.
It means WHATEVER IT MEANS TASHI. Welcome to insanity.

I should have never married Elzar.

Fotos

Nice to see a positive comment on here.

Wait, Hang em High isnt even that good. Why has it been remade?

It was just showing the scale of the larger Island I think.

Fuchsdh

Wait, Hang em High isnt even that good. Why has it been remade?

I'm sure it's so ingrained in Certain Infinity's mind they can Forge it blindfolded (they've remade it twice.) Although they did have the 343i guys intro it with "spare time" so this might have been a more 343i-helmed project while CA was working on the DLC maps.

I like Hang 'em High, even as I recognize it's not a great map per se. It was one of the last-minute MP maps Bungie did for Combat Evolved--one of the reasons it's basically a generic Forerunner hole with a skylight. (Although now deja vu's kicking in so we must have talked about this recently.)

As Fyre pointed out, using an existing Halo map gives us non-PAXers a pretty good indication of how large the Forge canvas is.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Halo 4 is better than Halo 3? Please tell me how? As far as mp and user options Halo 4 doesnt even touch Reach.

So if we think Halo 4 is better than Halo 3 we are considered a troll now? As far as options Halo 3 was better than Halo 4 yes. Functionality was better in Halo 3. But I enjoy playing Halo 4 MP far more than I did Halo 3. I disliked Halo 3 MP personally. I could not stand the maps. My play from Halo 2 dropped from 5k MP games to like 380 halo 3 MP games. Simply because I hated the Halo 3 maps. There were maybe 3 good maps. Now this is all opinion so I am not stating it as fact, but how I felt about Halo 3. I can say that I have enjoyed Halo 4 maps a lot more than Halo 3. They still have their own issues though. The map sizes were so big at launch that it made smaller games with less people less fun. I know that maps were initially bigger because of the new features.

Personally I would prefer if Sprint was removed from the game completely. That would fix any scale issues for older map remakes. It would also allow for smaller maps to play better IMO. I know giving everyone sprint was done because sprint as an ability was not exactly balanced with the other abilities. I would have the abilities removed as well and just have over-shield and inviz as pickups ala Halo 1. I also understand that I am not in the majority on these topics, but to think that just because someone enjoys Halo 4 more than Halo 3 means they must be a troll is a little crazy. Everyone enjoys games for different reasons.

And yes I understand that me saying Halo 4 is better than Halo 3, then explaining what is wrong with Halo 4 is counter productive and making an argument against myself. I can say I think Halo 4 is closer to my style than Halo 3 was. Halo 3's Maps and pick up items ruined Halo 3 for me. Not ruined, that not the right word. It made it not fun to play. Halo 4 recaptured some of that lost feelings I had while playing a match. The adrenaline rush, the I MUST WIN this match feeling. It has its flaws, at least in my eyes, but I can just hope 343 does things to fix the issues.

In my perfect world Halo 2 MP with new maps would be perfect. Maybe I will get a Halo 2 Anniversary that will actually have its own independent MP and not an addon map pack and playlist like the did with CEA and Reach's MP. The classic maps and the classic fun is what made it fun. Each game was fun in it's own right, but not the same level. Of course this is all just my opinion. Everyone has their own.

TheOddOne

343 Industries Gets New User Insights from Big Data in the Cloud
Helps Halo 4 Team Make Weekly Game Updates

In addition to responding quickly to business requests, the Halo 4 team can take BI data pulled from the game each day and identify user trends, such as the average length of a game and the specific game features that players use the most. By getting these insights, the Halo 4 team can make frequent updates to the game. “Based on the user preference data we’re getting from Hadoop, we’re able to update game maps and game modes on a week-to-week basis,” says Vayman. “And the suggestions we get in the forums often find their way into the next week’s update. We can actually use this feedback to make changes and see if we attract new players. Hadoop and the forums are great tuning mechanisms for us.”

The team is also taking user feedback and giving it to the game’s designers, who can consider the suggestions in developing future editions of Halo.
Uhm..
The marketing team then used this data to send these new players emails customized by screening several variables including when they started playing Halo 4 and their game play behaviors. The choice of which email each player received was determined by the HDInsight Service system. “That gave marketing a new way to retain users and keep them interested by talking about new aspects of the game,” Gregorio says. The Halo marketing team plans to run similar email campaigns for the game until a new edition is released. “Basing an email campaign on HDInsight Service and Hadoop was a big win for the marketing team, and also for us,” adds Vayman. “It showed us that we were able to use data from HDInsight Service to customize emails, and to actually use BI to improve the player experience and affect game sales.”
Huh..

Uhm...

Huh..

Fuchsdh

Ahh okay. I thought Apex was rather green, but can't remember

Watching panel now.

:lol

Halo 4 is indeed more colorful than Halo Reach, and I wouldn't call it 'washed out', but it definitely pushes pastels and low saturation more than I'd like. I kind of want the "juicy" Forge effect on everything to boost the vibrancy. Sometime I should do some Photoshop tests.

Conor 419

Banned
1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
9. IHaveIce GT = IHaveAnIce
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93
4. rogue ag3nt 1
5. Wahrer

@Reverb - No I don't think so, but presumably Dave-o wouldn't mind playing customs at least, which ought to be way more fun than mm.

------------------------------

So, when's a good time for everyone?

TheOddOne

tumblr_mfch2otCJj1rmy44lo1_500.png

Watch out Elzar, wolf pack be out for blood.

Top Bottom