• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fotos

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
9. IHaveIce GT = IHaveAnIce
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93
4. rogue ag3nt 1
5. Wahrer

@Reverb - No I don't think so, but presumably Dave-o wouldn't mind playing customs at least, which ought to be way more fun than mm.

------------------------------

So, when's a good time for everyone?

Next weekend. HaloGAF Easter Play Date.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Why do people at 343 not know anything about their game?

Because Forge Island is in the finishing phase and they don't want to announce or promise something that could change due to technical considerations.

That being said, the CURRENT plan is to allow more total space to Forge in and around than ever before.

Because Forge Island is in the finishing phase and they don't want to announce or promise something that could change due to technical considerations.

That being said, the CURRENT plan is to allow more total space to Forge in and around than ever before.

Fair enough, I suppose. Hopefully you guys are able to get it to work, then, because I really liked messing around in Forge World.

Castles is coming out soon and I still dont have Majestic, Frankie PM me that map pack code cause you love me so much.

Also Who was asking for a forge world 2? Please link me a post in the 15 OT's that ever mentioned a demand for that? It was never said. NOONE wanted this. We need small maps. FROM you guys. We dont want to play on small lego maps. Fix the map problem stop making the community fix YOUR problems.

Guys, I figured out how to save halo. Apply these settings to any vanilla Halo 4 gametype and watch the magic happen.

Damage resistance: 90%
Damage multiplier: 110%
Melee damage: 50%
Movement speed: 200%
Jump height: 150%
Shield rate: 150%
Shield wait: 4 seconds

BR is 4-shot, Carbine is 7-shot, Light Rifle is 4-shot in both modes, Pistol is 5-shot. Didn't test the DMR because it's dumb. Frags aren't an instant kill. Pulse grenades are also given a much-needed buff; they feel like Halo CE grenades. If the "core" detonates on someone it's an instant kill, while everywhere else does decent but not lethal damage. 3 melees to kill, 2 are on shields.

My only wishes are a 6-shot carbine, range-nerfed DMR, and not to use the Incineration Cannon with these settings, but oh well.

As for my Regicide variant: it uses these settings. Kings get time-released bonuses as usual but you get no bonus for king kills meaning it feels a bit more like Juggernaut. Nobody has Armor Abilities except for the King who can use Promethean Vision, making it incredibly useful for team games as he can spot enemies guarding the other King.

On the panel they talk about not being able to do descoping on this release. I dunno if that means this TU or this game.

And they seem very open about adding a "drop flag" option eventually if the time permits.

I dunno where some of you get this "they dont listen to the community" crap. Its all there on video.

heckfu

Banned
Castles is coming out soon and I still dont have Majestic, Frankie PM me that map pack code cause you love me so much.

Also Who was asking for a forge world 2? Please link me a post in the 15 OT's that ever mentioned a demand for that? It was never said. NOONE wanted this. We need small maps. FROM you guys. We dont want to play on small lego maps. Fix the map problem stop making the community fix YOUR problems.

J, literally every forger has complained about a lack of a flat surface in the current forge environments and have contributed that to limitations in creativity, etc.

Now this isn't going to fix the problems you and I and others deem 'tier 1' but to say it wasn't asked for is wrong.

Now, sweetheart, we have work to do on our brackets after yesterday's dumpster fire.

Silentium is pretty good. Nice read. People should give it a try. I know Primordium left a bitter taste in most of your guy's mouths, but Silentium is much better. It could turn out to be my favorite Halo book.

TCKaos

I'm super happy that we have flat surfaces, but it's also awkward because we have no natural barriers. If we got some kind of rock wall piece it'd be fuckin' awesome, though. Some terrain pieces so that we can add ledges and stuff and make ballin' BTB maps. I'd be set 4lyfe.

Probably won't happen, but I'm still happy with this new development.

If they added a greenscreen anything is possible. What if Forge Island uses Apex forge pieces and has a placeable (stationary) Lich?

Can't wait for Forge Universe (FU) in Halo 5.

J, literally every forger has complained about a lack of a flat surface in the current forge environments and have contributed that to limitations in creativity, etc.

Now this isn't going to fix the problems you and I and others deem 'tier 1' but to say it wasn't asked for is wrong.

Now, sweetheart, we have work to do on our brackets after yesterday's dumpster fire.

Forgers here didnt cause I never read that complaint once...

Also they already said they arent going to be putting forge maps into MM playlists like how they ruined Reach.

So what is the fucking point? Are they going back on that and they are going to toss lower quality maps in MM again and ruin the game further?

Also I just realized I clicked the wrong teams on my bracket when I did them. Wasnt paying attention or something.

Also they already said they arent going to be putting forge maps into MM playlists like how they ruined Reach.

So what is the fucking point? Are they going back on that and they are going to toss lower quality maps in MM again and ruin the game further?

Forge maps are already in MM.

I... don't see how you missed those posts Juices, but clearly you did.

As for the latter, issue, it's hard to know how that'll work. It can be a catch-22 certainly.

Also I just realized I clicked the wrong teams on my bracket when I did them. Wasnt paying attention or something.

I blame your ignore list. :lol

Even though it may not be as fervent now because people are leaving I've still seen the flat surface complaint time and time again.

NOKYARD

Can one of the islands (medium sized island please) not have kill volumes within the island so we can forge under the map?

Forging on Sandbox took a giant step forward when it was discovered we could go under the floor and forge upward. I can dig up examples if necessary but one quick one i have on file is from the crypt where i went under the map to place this golf tee.

A.G.L.A.Sandbox by NOKYARD, on Flickr, the map featured in the very first Halo Waypoint community spotlight.

In fact the Halo 3 Foundry Grifball map would not have been possible if not for forging under the floor and outside of the map's normal boundaries.

Bing able to forge from within the island's land mass would make it possible to construct an indoor map with invisible boundaries since you can't see natural formations from within. You would only be able to see the water below, but have invisible walls and a hard invisible ceiling to confine players without requiring confining structures.

At the very least the map could feature removable Hard Kill Zones within the island. Forgers would then use teleporters to go underground and delete the Kill Zones.

[edit] One more point. Although Halo Reach's forge World featured a huge invisible ceiling (most of which was under the soft kill) it was actually quite uneven and undulated. There were no spots where you could effectively use the ceiling as an invisible ceiling for your floating map. It would be nice to see the entire invisible ceiling be as flat as the island surfaces. There should also NOT be a soft kill zone under the level of the ceiling so you don't see a 'return to Battlefield' indicator when you hit the ceiling.

Why do people at 343 not know anything about their game?

I worked at a 30-person ad agency and rarely knew anything about my own projects, let alone anything going on around the building. Can't imagine how that would scale up to a business the size of 343, especially with the amount of plates they're spinning at once.

gAg CruSh3r

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
9. IHaveIce GT = IHaveAnIce
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93
4. rogue ag3nt 1
5. Wahrer

@Reverb - No I don't think so, but presumably Dave-o wouldn't mind playing customs at least, which ought to be way more fun than mm.

------------------------------

So, when's a good time for everyone?

At night is better for me. 7+ pm mountain time.

Got to play on one of the new maps, the X is noticeable. Can't really make a judgement on how good/bad it is because its hard to play standing up as well as being super close to a tv. Managed to go 26 and 11 though

Arnie

On the panel they talk about not being able to do descoping on this release. I dunno if that means this TU or this game.

And they seem very open about adding a "drop flag" option eventually if the time permits.

I dunno where some of you get this "they dont listen to the community" crap. Its all there on video.

Because if they'd really listened to their community they wouldn't have implemented such an asinine feature in the first place. If they'd really listened to the community they'd have included an option to toggle flag dropping in the game Halo fans paid £40 (or equivalent currency) for.

The game's a fucking candle, and you want it to light up your world. I couldn't give a shit if it eventually becomes what I want when there's barely any wax left.

Nowise10

Have you guys listened to the Q and A section at the Halo 4 panel?

My god, I cant watch it. Like Im wincing at these questions and have to pause my video they are so bad and awkward.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
The whole flaunting their Onyx badges is the exact practice Bungie and now 343 have tried to prevent while maintaining ranks for those that actually want more competitive matches with something on the line. This is undesirable from their perspective as it should be. Once you place importance on that you get people doing all the tricks in order to get this rank.

In an ideal world, Halo 3 ranks work great. People play to their maximum ability and you get a sense of what your competition is like before a match starts. This is not the reality of the situation though.

Taking the competition out of the game is the absolute worst way to deal with a small minority that manipulate the system. The ranking system in Halo 3 was hugely superior to anything in Halo Reach or Halo 4. Whats wrong with players showing off ranks? They should be able to show off ranks. Do the ATP say "oh no we can't rank tennis players or they might attempt to cheat, or lesser skilled tennis players will have hurt feelings". Come on that's a pathetic solution. You do whats required to prevent and discourage cheating, you don't remove key parts of the game. Removing the ranking system did infinitely more damage than good.

Now players don't even care if they win or lose most of the time and mainly care about their own stats resulting in selfish stat whoring. Hardly anybody bothers to use mics and communicate now because they are not concerned about winning. There is now little emotional attachment to winning or losing a game so there's no tension anymore, far less excitement and adrenaline pumping moments. This all results in the game-play being a lot worse than in previous Halo games.

I don't see CSR making much difference at all as most players will be unaware of its existence or simply not bothered about it as its so marginalized within the game.

I know its likely too late, but can Forge Island get a skybox makeover that gives the 'north' side a major distinction from the 'south' side? Maybe the sun can be setting so one side is noticeably darker? It would help a ton when it comes to player orientation. Little things like that would really go a long way IMO.

Can one of the islands (medium sized island please) not have kill volumes within the island so we can forge under the map?

Forging on Sandbox took a giant step forward when it was discovered we could go under the floor and forge upward. I can dig up examples if necessary but one quick one i have on file is from the crypt where i went under the map to place this golf tee.

In fact the Halo 3 Foundry Grifball map would not have been possible if not for forging under the floor and outside of the map's normal boundaries.

Bing able to forge from within the island's land mass would make it possible to construct an indoor map with invisible boundaries since you can't see natural formations from within. You would only be able to see the water below, but have invisible walls and a hard invisible ceiling to confine players without requiring confining structures.

At the very least the map could feature removable Hard Kill Zones within the island. Forgers would then use teleporters to go underground and delete the Kill Zones.

[edit] One more point. Although Halo Reach's forge World featured a huge invisible ceiling (most of which was under the soft kill) it was actually quite uneven and undulated. There were no spots where you could effectively use the ceiling as an invisible ceiling for your floating map. It would be nice to see the entire invisible ceiling be as flat as the island surfaces. There should also NOT be a soft kill zone under the level of the ceiling so you don't see a 'return to Battlefield' indicator when you hit the ceiling.

Man, I really hope they literally worked with the best of the forge community while making this..

Well I'm about 3 hours into Infinite, so here are my initial and probably only thoughts on the game until more of HaloGaf plays it. I'm not going to say anything about the story.

The game itself is an incredible sequel, Irrational do many things in infinite that really resonates with me.

The first thing is that they have created a world, contrasting with rapture but built up with interesting characters and ideologies. They've populated it with grandeur and mystery far beyond what I thought was possible this gen.

Certainly it costs them, there is a regular occurrence of stuttering, although I don't think as much as you would get if you installed the disk (I have it installed). But, there is an ability to unlock the framerate to provide a smoother experience at the expense of graphical fidelity.

Everything else top notch and you can see and hear style ooze throughout every inch of the game, the music sublime, the menu is awesome, I could just leave it on there for a couple of minutes.

Now, in relation to the gameplay, this is Bioshock through and through, yet, more polished. The most common criticism of BS1 was that the gunplay was quite poor. I think they've done a marvellous job to bring that up to scratch, it now plays as good you would expect from a traditional shoot bang game. The sky hook is a very thrilling and novel way to travel, and in combat situations, the whole game when using the sky hook, plasmids and guns just clicks.

Two tips, if you want to maximise the better FPS mechanics you should choose the second controller option, which put ADS on the left trigger and plasmids on the LB. the second tip is that start the game on hard, it is pretty easy so far.

Irrational have also delved into issues such as racism and religion with great depth, this is evident from how game presents such issues, either graphically or through audio diaries. They have confronted those issues whereas other devs would shy away from.

And as a last word, to those on here who are big BS fans, what can I say? Well, remember seeing Rapture for the first time? Exploring its wonder and mystery and being satisfied by it all? Well, be prepared to have that feeling all over again.

And as a last word, to those on here who are big BS fans, what can I say? Well, remember seeing Rapture for the first time? Exploring its wonder and mystery and being satisfied by it all? Well, be prepared to have that feeling all over again.

This is really good to hear, the mystery was my favorite part of the original game. While I liked Bioshock 2, it just wasn't the same (which wasn't surprising since it was in the same city). Are there audio diaries like in the first two games?

edit: Nevermind, I somehow missed your mention of it in your post!

It always seemed absurd to me that they chose to use the themes and make their game commentary and package it in a dumb as nails shootbang. In the first you have this Randian dystopia poking at how little agency players have in the experience but give you this immersion breaking objective arrow and infinite lives with persistent damage. Granted you could turn the first off in an option menu, and they later patched in a way to play without vita chambers but it always seemed weird to me that games that are 18+ treat their players in a way that suggests they don't know how those players got to live to 18 in the first place. I can usually let it slide because other games are thematically as brickheaded as their mechanics, but that disconnect in Bioshock always made me scratch my head.

I hope they've handled that better in Infinite at least. Dunno when I'll get it but I still enjoyed the first for what it was.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Have you guys listened to the Q and A section at the Halo 4 panel?

My god, I cant watch it. Like Im wincing at these questions and have to pause my video they are so bad and awkward.

Yea I had to turn it off during that part. It was too much to take.

NOKYARD

Man, I really hope they literally worked with the best of the forge community while making this..

I interact with a good number of top forgers and none of them were aware of Forge Island prior to the panel. They obviously do listen to feedback (i was one of the vocal supporters of flat spaces) but having a top level forger on staff would be greatly beneficial to future projects. I can think of one forger (who is also a game developer) in particular who would be a godly candidate for that position. In fact he would be perfection for the position.

I interact with a good number of top forgers and none of them were aware of Forge Island prior to the panel. They obviously do listen to feedback (i was one of the vocal supporters of flat spaces) but having a top level forger on staff would be greatly beneficial to future projects. I can think of one forger (who is also a game developer) in particular who would be a goodly candidate for that position. In fact he would be perfection for the position.

Juices?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I interact with a good number of top forgers and none of them were aware of Forge Island prior to the panel. They obviously do listen to feedback (i was one of the vocal supporters of flat spaces) but having a top level forger on staff would be greatly beneficial to future projects. I can think of one forger (who is also a game developer) in particular who would be a godly candidate for that position. In fact he would be perfection for the position.

LOL

I wonder who you could be referring to

Ghazi

There weren't.

Two Green and Blue remixes though.

And the Foreshadow remix sounds more "official" than the real track.
Darn, I just started listening to the H4 soundtrack again and it really is a great track. I was hoping there may have been a remix of it. The Green and Blue remixes were nice though. I love the track Armor, it's really nice to listen to as background music.

This is what I was thinking watching the panel.

2013-03-23_1417_zpsa0d8073a.jpg

Top Bottom