• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized... can you not mute people mid-game in Halo 4? Game wouldn't let me just now.
It's awkward. You have to use the right stick to select the person's name, and then push X or something? I don't remember exactly how to do it, just that it's awkward.

It's awkward. You have to use the right stick to select the person's name, and then push X or something? I don't remember exactly how to do it, just that it's awkward.

Hold and use the D-Pad and push X, then select mute. So weird, I have to completely take my hand off the remote and readjust myself to do it.

Oh and the spawn for Community FFA are pretty bad. :p

Does 343 have the source code for the Bungie games? Right now what I'd really want more than anything if they're not interested in putting 3 out on PC is fixing the aim acceleration and increasing the FOV to ODST's amount in 3. I mean sure, the concurrent userbase is microscopic, but c'mon; the best of devs support their legacies, sequels be damned. I'm playing the campaign right now and it's reminding me of when Halo didn't make me feel miserable. I don't care about the bandages they're trying to put on 4 to heal its amputation, 3 is close enough to ideal but it's killing me with this cramped view. I'm looking through a toilet roll tube in this game and it sucks that it's the solitary dealbreaker. I got no adaption.

I wish the game let me just use the split-screen view by myself or something. I letterboxed Perfect Dark to increase the performance of that on N64, I wouldn't mind doing it here.

FyreWulff

We couldn't even get a second bugfix TU for Reach, and it was the active Halo game.

I think the spin-up required to patch anything not Halo 4 makes TUing any of them for any reason out of the cards :(

Also, PacificNW HaloGAF, if you feel like chiming in.. I need help making a decision

Edit. Or, split it into two posts, depending on what kind of post/thread it is.

It's a post on the overall halo project of mine and the last to come for a very long time. I wouldn't think it it would warrant its own thread, but at the same time it's probably going to eat up at least half of the page that it's posted on in here.

heckfu

Banned
It's a post on the overall halo project of mine and the last to come for a very long time. I wouldn't think it it would warrant its own thread, but at the same time it's probably going to eat up at least half of the page that it's posted on in here.

This isn't discouraging ideas, but you really should make a public blog and keep linking it here for when the posts are too long (like now!)

FyreWulff

Actually, you may want to post it at HBO. That's where I tend to make my essay-Halo-posts. And you can have them be really long.

... just make sure you preview your post and catch any errors first

Alright, the megapost for Project: Halysis is up on HBO!

Campaign deets are up there but I'll at least post the thumbnails here because they're godawful. And the weapon details.

2Rp9Lp2.png

6QH276f.png

iEhYV00.png

4tbBPmM.png

YMtth0R.png

EJQHkFO.png

rjOzEYJ.png

pkjD5HL.png

auXq4uv.png

aQk72aD.png

YN8IteJ.png

FtMHrSE.png

THE WEAPON SANDBOX

Yep, full details! Bring tissues because you're going to be jizzing and crying at the same time.

Note that a buttload of weapons are Campaign exclusive. The multiplayer sandbox is and always will be 24 weapons if you count grenades. The campaign-exclusive stuff I've listed so far is, off the top of my head:

ONI Hard Sound Rifle
Humbler Stun Baton
Twin Combat Knives
SAW
"Bolt" Sniper Rifle Variant
Dual Pistols
Needle Rifle
Molly's Dual Motherfucking Fists

Now, for the multiplayer sandbox.

Loadout Weapons
Battle Rifle, 4-shot kill.
Carbine, 6-shot kill.
Light Rifle, 4/5-shot kill.
"Rook," Suppressed SMG Successor. Good against mechanical enemies - in other words, Rook takes Knight.
Plasma Rifle, CE Variant.
Oscillator, Enforcer Needler (Spiker) primary fire, Sentinel Beam alt-fire. Former's good on shields, latter's good on health. Mastering the alt-mode switch time is essential to getting speedy kills. Sound effects make it a wub wub gun.

No Armor Abilities, No Armor Mods. 2x Frag, 2x Pulse or 1x Each are options. No Primary/Secondary weapon restrictions. If you pick a weapon twice, it's the only one you spawn with, but you get double ammo for it. The distance/aim assist range for all loadout weapons is identical, meaning it ultimately boils down to personal preference and kill times. This, by extension, means the Light Rifle has received a slight nerf but also doesn't suffer from ridiculous flinch anymore.

Frag Grenades
Plasma Grenades. Detonation time is somewhere between Halo 1 and 2's.
Pulse Grenades. Holding down the left trigger until the grenade goes off will cause the explosion to do half the damage, but induce heavy vertical and vertical slowdown, great for trapping people. If a vehicle drives through the "core" of the explosion the grenade will short out early, but cause an EMP effect.
Phase Grenades. Default grenade is a Promethean Firebomb that uses "Hardlight Bees" while the alt-fire, initiated same way as a Pulse Grenade, is a Promethean Spike Grenade. The Phase grenade is depicted on the left of the banner.

On-Map Pickups

Magnum, CE edition. These are common throughout the map. Has the range of the Halo 4 Light Rifle.

Phase Rifle is a battery-operated 4-shot-kill precision weapon replacing the DMR, though it handles a bit like a Beam Rifle in terms of overheat timing. It has one of the fastest kill times in the game if timed right. Overheating normally causes obnoxious audio cues and a lens flare for all to see; getting a kill on the fourth (overheating) shot will mute the gun considerably. Scoping in with the Phase Rifle initiates a Power Saver mode for bad kids that uses less battery but takes 5 shots to kill. Its range is equivalent to the Magnum. The Phase Rifle is depicted on the right of the banner.

Plasma Pistol, Reach Beta variant.

Combiner is a new weapon, replacing the Needler and Shotgun. It's the closest thing to an ice weapon in the sandbox, using frostly needles dubbed "Blamethyst" instead of "Blamite," with the prefix Blam standing for "bilateral assault mitigation." It takes 7 needles to detonate. The big change comes in that it's now a semi-automatic instead of an automatic; it can fire as fast as the Plasma Pistol and still has homing, but you actually have to aim your shots instead of spraying. It also has an alt-mode in the form of a charge shot; a charged shot has a third the range a single needle does, but works like a homing shotgun. If it makes contact, it's an ensured detonation, but at the expense of eating up the entire clip.

Railgun is mostly unchanged other than a slight buff. What that is, I don't know. Possibly an increased reload speed or ammo capacity.

Huntshot combines the Halo 2 Brute Shot and the Fuel Rod Gun. A standard shot is a Halo 2 Brute Shot round, but skinned like a Fuel Rod Gun shot. There are six rounds per clip. If you perform a charged shot, it eats up three rounds of the clip. A charged shot looses a Halo Reach/4-era Fuel Rod Gun round, though slightly faster. The charge shot has some new unique properties: only a direct hit will kill, otherwise it's impossible. A direct hit will likewise provide an EMP effect if it hits vehicles. The surrounding blast radius is large (about that of a Rocket) but does little to no damage, instead having substantial blowback - to the extent that you can perform TF2-style Rocket Jumps with this gun.

Phasebuster is a handheld Promethean pistol; default fire is a Sticky Detonator round, alt-fire (hold trigger) is a Reach-era Grenade Launcher round, EMP and all.

Sniper Rifle is mostly unchanged.

Beam Rifle is mostly unchanged, save for toning down the aim assist.

Crossbolt is essentially a weaponized Beam Tower; it only has five shots in multiplayer, but unlimited ammo during its rare uses in campaign. It takes five seconds to charge up, and when fired the projectile is slow enough that, on even footing, you can outrun it. However, the projectile is just like a Halo CE-era beam tower... well, beam, meaning that it's lasting. The entire beam has a hitbox. Touching anywhere on this beam is an instant kill, meaning it's entirely possible to clothesline people instead of getting direct hits. When a Spartan is hit by the projectile, the beam just keeps going through them, rather than stopping. The Spartan is instantly killed and vaporized, but 5 "dimensional corpses" are spit out of the point of derezz, and if any of the corpses touch another Spartan, they'll be killed too, and the cycle continues. The major problem is the high charge time, and while reload time is instant, you can't fire another shot until your existing one dissipates (meaning it has to hit a structural surface like a floor or building). It's worth noting that the Crossbolt shot doesn't acknowledge vehicles, meaning you can snipe/clothesline drivers and leave the vehicles relatively intact. Due to the "dimensional corpse" function, it will also completely annihilate vehicles with passengers like Falcons.

Rocket Launcher is mostly unchanged, but if it's locked on to aircraft, the audio cue changes to sound way more high-pitched, like a firework.

Energy Stave replaces the Energy Sword and the Gravity Hammer. In its default state, you dual-wield Swords with basket hand guards; meaning you swing twice as fast, but two melees are required to kill. If you hold right trigger, you sort of merge them into a large, Forerunner Hardlight Halberd, which operates pretty much exactly like a Gravity Hammer - it does more damage and has more range, but eats up more battery. Holding RT again will revert to dual Swords.

Gravity Gauntlet is a Jetpack replacement. You can grapple onto designated "hardlight hooks" which can be placed in Forge. In addition to this, you can reel in distant weapons, and stun players. Stunning will apply both vertical and horizontal stasis, meaning you can stun airborne players to completely kill their momentum, and then let go of them so they fall to their deaths. A noteworthy side effect is that the tractor beam given by the Gauntlet has a lasting gravity field that will absorb projectiles such as live grenades or even Rockets; veteran players can use this to protect their teammates or "fix" their Grenade throws by boomeranging them, while players facing enemies with Gauntlets can chuck a grenade or two at the trail to blow up the user instead of letting them get to a power weapon first.

Additionally, here's a preview for the next megapost which probably won't show up for a while because it's taking forever:

Q7R6nWb.png

THE UI

I won't go super-elaborate with it now, but my main focus is streamlining the ability to create custom games; the primary layout for games would be using this method. Hitting RB would expand the selected list and show all your options allowing you to change settings from the root menu rather than having to go down page after page to change things. Also notable is the addition of the "Thumbrumbler" option for specific settings, such as Player Traits. When you get to a menu that has lists like that, there are up to 10 variables shown on-screen; these are represented by the D-Pad buttons, ABXY, and the two triggers. For example, Player Health, Shielding, Shield Rate, Shield Wait, and so on. Hitting the respective button once will show a description of said trait; however, double-tapping it will open up an additional part of the UI, controlled with both thumbsticks. You use the right thumbstick to make general changes or slides through the UI (for example, Damage Resistance could go in increments of 10) while you use the left thumbstick for precision tuning (going in increments of 1).

Striker

dual wielding effectively nerfed the weapon sandbox outside of power weapons and BR. i'd rather the weapons capable of standing on their own rather than making them dependent on another.
Is dual wielding the reason the Assault Rifle in Halo 3, the Assault Rifle in Halo Reach, and the Plasma Repeater have been all ineffective in these same circumstances? They've had the same issue if you had a single SMG. If you were up against a rifle user you were boned, just like you were if you were up against somebody using those same weapons above. I'd mention the Spiker, but Bungie made it into a dual wielding weapon too, despite it crafted as primarily a campaign weapon for the Brutes.

I'm not insisting I want it back, but we've been dealt with mediocrity since the SMG. I'm not sure where it's been improved or the skillgap is somehow larger. It was effective in what it was meant to be, up close and to take out close quarter weapons, which I thought it did well. It didn't need a melee to weaken the opponent or finish. The melee in Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4 have all been garbage, something that's been a bigger issue than the AR's or other auto weapons.

Striker

God why are almost all retail halo 4 maps so bad..
Complex, Abandon, adrift, solace...
They all have issues; Haven's spawns are pretty wretched. There can be one, two, or sometimes three people up in top mid and you'll spawn on big ramp. Happens more than it should.

m23

I miss being able to sit down and play games without being interrupted. It's so hard to play a game and be immersed for me due to many things, I probably won't be picking up Infinite anytime soon because of that. Maybe later when I get some peace and quiet I'll be able to play through it the way it was meant to be. I'd rather wait than get it now and rush through it like I did Skyrim.

Fuchsdh

FUDcast Ep. 11 - "Where We're Going, We Don't Need Star Roads"

On this episode of the Forward Unto Dawn podcast, we talk Halo: Silentium, plot hooks for the future, and 343i's approach to storytelling. If you haven't read the books, the first 15 minutes or so are spoiler-free basic impressions. You'll be able to tell when we veer into plot details.

Go listen!
Feedburner
iTunes

</plug>

Excited to hear BioShock is good... I was burned a little on the hype for the original game, but hopefully they've addressed the gameplay and plot issues I had with that one.

no bullets hans

Neo Member
GameStop called me last night to remind me that BioShock was coming out...and apparently I pre-ordered it, so I guess I'm picking it up after work.

I was hoping on getting back into teh Halos after my run of dominating BlOps2 came to an end, but I think I'll be Borderlandsing and Bioshocking my way into summer. Alas.

Top Bottom