• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

ElRenoRaven

Covenant redesign inspiration:

CMjHXUo.jpg

Boy those grunts sure do look scary now. lol

Booshka

Just Cause 2 for $3 on Steam ehh, SO FUCKING BOUGHT.

That game should look glorious on my new PC.

Also, just read that BigShow post about aiming skill and its impact on map control, spot on analysis. I played a lot of 4v4 TS Halo 2 Lockout and it was a pain in the ass to get back control. It was usually just a coordinated rush to the other side, and not trying to pick up a kill then rush.

In Halo CE, if you had worse position you could shoot your way to better positioning quite easily if you had the aiming skill to do it. Being able to out shoot someone no matter where you were on the map was a beautiful thing in Halo 1. You could then capitalize on that with a push toward powerups/power weapons and eventually retake the power positions on the map. Teams could jockey back and forth for positioning on the basis on one good play based on aiming skill.

It's also why I love Shadowrun so much, you could flank and wander around with your abilities and then lay down some excellent shots with the Rifle from nearly anywhere. You didn't have to score a kill, as long as you did heavy damage and forced them to back to a Tree and heal, your team could then coordinate a push, or just get into better positioning themselves. Even if someone shot back at you, you could still out-shoot them and make it worthwhile.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not sure how I feel about Bioshock Infinite. I like the setting/dialogue, but I have some issues with the gameplay.

(I guess I'll tag it. Nothing spoilery here though, just talking about gameplay)

I'm an hour and half in and the majority of the game has been combat. Fighting normal, non insane human enemies with guns and poor AI is really lame. Not nearly as tense as fighting splicers or big daddies. There's a lot of them too, so at the moment it just plays like a standard FPS.

That's my biggest problem with the game so far. It feels like Bioshock adapted for the mainstream audience way too much. No more hacking; just press a button and you're done. Enemies die in a few hits. Constantly getting reminded on the HUD where to go is annoying. Booker talking takes me out of the game too.

#WeHaventHeardAnythingAboutTheNextBoxYet

Why bother getting worked up about rumors?
Not getting worked up? Just making a comment.
What's the point in completely ignoring rumors when they topics for discussion?

As for only hearing rumors, that's not true, we've heard plenty of comments from devs about Sony being pro-active in contact while they've yet to hear a pip from MS. [the devs specifically I'm referring to, not in general obviously]

Ghazi

Play it with me soul sister! We can dong some people!

or get donged

Probably the latter. I believe that my name on on LoL is the same as my xbox gamertag so send me a FR and we can play whenever. Because unlike my 360 I haul my laptop everywhere.

The gameplay spoilers were fine but can we not discuss the plot of Bioshock Infinite until at least a week in? I would like to finish it and I cant not click spoilers. I'm serious I see them and I highlight that stuff before I even read the post. At least gimme til Friday!

The gameplay spoilers were fine but can we not discuss the plot of Bioshock Infinite until at least a week in? I would like to finish it and I cant not click spoilers. I'm serious I see them and I highlight that stuff before I even read the post. At least gimme til Friday!
Agreed. Take it to the Bioshock threads please.

Not sure how I feel about Bioshock Infinite. I like the setting/dialogue, but I have some issues with the gameplay.

(I guess I'll tag it. Nothing spoilery here though, just talking about gameplay)

I'm an hour and half in and the majority of the game has been combat. Fighting normal, non insane human enemies with guns and poor AI is really lame. Not nearly as tense as fighting splicers or big daddies. There's a lot of them too, so at the moment it just plays like a standard FPS.

That's my biggest problem with the game so far. It feels like Bioshock adapted for the mainstream audience way too much. No more hacking; just press a button and you're done. Enemies die in a few hits. Constantly getting reminded on the HUD where to go is annoying. Booker talking takes me out of the game too.

Dont forget the Healt regen system ala Halo Reach

Covenant redesign inspiration:

CMjHXUo.jpg

Anyone have the complete hi res version of this pic?

Too bad you never face an encounter in any gears by the console restrictions, just some random battles with 6 enemies at once.

Fuchsdh

Dont forget the Healt regen system ala Halo Reach

Anyone have the complete hi res version of this pic?

Too bad you never face an encounter in any gears by the console restrictions, just some random battles with 6 enemies at once.

Reading Ars Technica's review, I was pleasantly surprised to learn they'd cut your weapon loadouts to just two. Having so many powers and weapons was part of the reason I hated Bioshock's combat--switching weapons was such a pain, especially during the middle of a battle.

Madness

lol EA Invited CoD players to tonight's Battlefield event instead of Battlefield players in order to try and gain that consumer base.

Not surprising. You'll see Destiny do the same. If you read the latest mail sack, you'll see they appeal to Halo fans saying this is their next great shooter with the Bungie stamp, but it's clear they'll want the CoD kids as well.

These people aren't in the business of making games for pleasure, they're in the business of making money WITH games. Any chance they get to draw in more fans they'll take.

Madness

Hmm, reading an article right now, apparently EA reached out to CoD commentators with large subscription bases to promote the Battlefield 4 reveal. Their reasoning being that the Battlefield commentators will obviously make videos and talk about it, but they want the CoD ones to do so.

Tawpgun

Hmm, reading an article right now, apparently EA reached out to CoD commentators with large subscription bases to promote the Battlefield 4 reveal. Their reasoning being that the Battlefield commentators will obviously make videos and talk about it, but they want the CoD ones to do so.

Shitty excuse. Support your fans. At least invite them too. It's a pretty ice cold thing to not invite your fans because you're counting on them to support you anyway.

I know the gaming landscape is changing and all, but back during Halo 3's reign, even up until Halo Reach, there were 2 kinds of Xbox Shooter Players. You were either Halo primarily, or CoD primarily. Sure, some people played both, but you usually had a clear favorite. Halo fans (when the game still boasted an impressive population) always took pride in what made Halo better than CoD, despite CoD's surge to the top of the charts.

Maybe Halo fans are a dying breed. Maybe the people who want more Halo 3 and less Call of Duty are a tiny minority. Who knows. Halo 5 is going to be interesting.

Top Bottom