• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

BigShow36

Not worth the extra map clutter.

And IHaveIce, I'm honoured. Also ignore that Unknown guy. He's just jealous.

Here's my Halo Arena staff.

BigShow - lead MP design
Karl - lead MP map design
Overdoziz - lead forge designer
orznge - sandbox designer
Wahrer - concept art
The Henery - PR
FyreWulff - netcode designer, programmer
juices, Unknown, Arnie, Tashi, kylej, and probably the rest of halogaf - gametesters
heckfu - comic relief
... and YourExWife does most of the programming

oh and maybe we'll throw in that Cursed Lemon guy somewhere. lol.

My first order is to remove sprint ....
and replace it with jetpacks default. The power has corrupted me.

Not worth the extra map clutter.

And IHaveIce, I'm honoured. Also ignore that Unknown guy. He's just jealous.

Here's my Halo Arena staff.

BigShow - lead MP design
Karl - lead MP map design
Overdoziz - lead forge designer
orznge - sandbox designer
Wahrer - concept art
The Henery - PR
FyreWulff - netcode designer, programmer
juices, Unknown, Arnie, Tashi, kylej, and probably the rest of halogaf - gametesters
heckfu - comic relief
... and YourExWife does most of the programming
oh and maybe we'll throw in that Cursed Lemon guy somewhere. lol.

Guess I better give my notice pretty soon then, eh?

Anyone got the kickstarter for this yet?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I meant it when I said it earlier; if you guys can do the programming, then a HaloGAF FPS needs to happen for reals.

The ideas are already there.

BigShow36

Bk being the key word.

Jet pack is far worse than sprint

Thats_the_joke.jpg

Every time I hear the term "star road" the Rainbow Road music plays in my head.

And I envision everyone banking hard left at the start going for the epic shortcut.

Ender's Game:

- 0 Gravity
- Infinite Thrusters
- Rail Guns only
- Custom map with fixed cover and (if possible) floating crates for additional random cover.

thoughts? has someone already done this?

Ender's Game:

- 0 Gravity
- Infinite Thrusters
- Rail Guns only
- Custom map with fixed cover and (if possible) floating crates for additional random cover.

thoughts? has someone already done this?

This might actually be possible if you loaded up a paintball course map with gravity volumes.

It's a tough call, most don't want flag juggling, i certainly don't, but i don't like the instant pick up.

There needs to be some kind of middle ground

Depends where you poll that question. Most people want flag juggling here. That was one of the things we called stupid before release.

Karl2177

I'm pro-flag juggling, but I'd say the biggest thing against flag juggling was the audio. I'd be perfectly content if the only time the audio came up was if the flag carrier was killed or the flag was picked up after that.

I'm pro-flag juggling, but I'd say the biggest thing against flag juggling was the audio. I'd be perfectly content if the only time the audio came up was if the flag carrier was killed or the flag was picked up after that.

The audio can no longer be used as an excuse by the anti-fun people, not since Steitzer endlessly shouts all sorts of meaningless rubbish the whole game long in Halo 4.

My thought is that trait zones would work better than straight up gravity volumes.

Well, looks like someone already beat me to it, at least with the map. I'mma have to download it sometime and check it out.

The problem is that 0% gravity isn't possible as a player trait. You can get the gravity as low as you want, but constant vertical movement would be provided by gravity volumes.

Winner of the GoW1 GoD Giveaway was Computron
Check yo PM's

Wareh I aint going to read your project halitosis fan wank but when I skimmed past some of that shit looks hella lame.

The flag physics need to go back to Halo 1/2 (not as drastic obviously) in order for CTF to be fun again. To have it make sense the flag can rest on a gravity board which floats/slides a little when "thrown" and bounces farther depending on elevation.

Someone should get on the concept art. CTF hasn't been fun since Halo 2 and if gameplay is king (finest words Marcus Lehto has ever said) then 343 should consider this IMO.

Well Sim City went down to 40 and if you happen to use Dove stuff you can get 20 more off If you get a three pack of the body wash for 16, plus free shipping. I went ahead with it.

Caja 117

When we look at how ease-of-aiming impacts map design, we first need to point out the obvious difference between asymmetrical and symmetrical maps; that being one inherently creates geometrical advantages (there are geometric advantages on symmetrical maps as well, but teams typically spawn equidistant to them).

As Arnie said, whoever controlled BR tower has a large advantage on Lockout.

The reason for this is because the aiming is easy enough to the point that geometric discrepencies infer too great an advantage. Part of the skill gap in Halo games is map control. Another large part was aiming skill or manual dexterity. When you remove the aiming skill gap, or at least significantly lower it, suddenly map control becomes incredibly important. An asymetrical map suddenly grants one team a massive advantage if they happen to spawn next to a geometrically advantageous position.

If there was a larger shooting skill gap, holding and defending that position would be more difficult. If everyone can 4 or 5-shot easily, geometric advantages become insurmountable, or at the very least, incredibly valuable. Asymetrical map design falls apart because if the major skill of the game is obtaining geometric advantage, as it has become, you can't grant one team that advantage by luck of the draw.

A large shooting skill gap can mitigate geometric advantage and visa versa; when you remove the shooting skill gap, all that's left is geometric advantage. This is further compounded when you remove other incentives to move around the map (I'm looking at you loadouts and ordnance).

Very good post, I never did make the Connection between aim assist and map symmetry.

Speaking as a Burger King, CE CTF was the most fun because simply putting away your weapons was the only handicap given. You still moved at normal speeds, you could control vehicles, there were no waypoints over your head, and flags were touch return so it put more pressure and prediction on the defending team. The only thing I'd change with CE's handling is making the flag visible when the holder is driving.

I loved this mostly because it made individual plays a lot more possible, whereas the repeated handicaps given to the flag carrier and added flag return time only made it a doom scenario when matched with randoms.

Top Bottom