• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I'm... impressed, after hearing those samples.

With the release of Halo 4 Vol. 2, Halo 4 will be the first mainline game in the entire franchise to have all of its music released, with the sole exception of one multiplayer track.

The one multiplayer track in question is the percussion-only "one minute left" track that can be heard commonly in Team Throwdown.

Halo CE had Arborea Above and How to Get Ahead In War, Halo 2 had a shitton of variations on themes unreleased, Halo 3's were few but still present (including the Warthog Run theme), ODST had the Firefight tracks, Reach had a ton (including variations on Lone Wolf) and Anniversary and Wars had all of their music released.

Ghazi

Guys, apparently these aliens were on Abandon at some time:
Halo-4-Abandon-Lab-Creature.jpg

But someone, as of late, noticed that they are now like this:

Ideas?

See, Waypoint Forums are helpful/cool sometimes

Microsoft's 'Play to Earn' reward scheme launches on April 1Playing any combination of Arcade games for 20 hours during April will bag members a free avatar item, while purchasing four Arcade games at 400 Microsoft Points unlocks a one-month XBLA Gold subscription.users who spend 3200 Microsoft Points on Arcade games will earn 800 Microsoft Points in return.

I remember before release someone uploaded a song to YouTube titled, "The Librarian". Although I eventually learned it to be a fake, it really is a beautiful track and I found myself imagining that scene in the game.

Here's the link. Just listen to the song, don't watch the weird ass shit going on in the video. Also imagine this song within Halo, I think it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mg1lLAmZbQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fun little bit of trivia behind this: that's because the slip of paper in the Halo 4 OST credits people for a track named "Librarian," which technically doesn't exist. The Librarian Suite, however, is the series of music that plays during the Reclaimer cutscene where Chief gets everything explained to him. It just ended up getting divided into a variety of individual tracks on the discs, which happened to include Solace and Atonement.

I'd recommend clearing your cache and giving it another shot.

Tried that, didn't work. :(

So I'm trying to download another Xbox Live game update to see if that'll work, so now I'm updating Happy Wars, a 56MB update. Downloading slowly, but it's downloading, halfway done now.

Halo 4 still won't download at all... :/ I'll try again after Happy Wars finishes, if it does.

EDIT: Happy Wars update downloaded.

So I'm trying to download another Xbox Live game update to see if that'll work, so now I'm updating Happy Wars, a 56MB update. Downloading slowly, but it's downloading, halfway done now.

Halo 4 still won't download at all... :/ I'll try again after Happy Wars finishes, if it does.

Get the title update from Here
Install it Via USB like This

Get the title update from Here
Install it Via USB like This

I might try that, since Halo 4 failed to update again, I really don't know why. Thanks for helping guys!

Edit: So changing the storage unit made the download move a bit, it'sdone now, I have an Xbox Slim now since my original Xbox died.

I have 2 Hard Drives in my Xbox, an actual Hard Drive and the memory unit.

Would I be fine downloading the Title Update to the memory unit but playing on the Hard-Drive? Doesn't matter right?

Ghazi

Sorry I couldn't help, hopefully what Stalker posted will get you set.

I might try that, since Halo 4 failed to update again, I really don't know why. Thanks for helping guys!

Edit: So changing the storage unit made the download move a bit, 25% done now, I have an Xbox Slim now since my original Xbox died.

I have 2 Hard Drives in my Xbox, an actual Hard Drive and the memory unit.

Would I be fine downloading the Title Update to the memory unit but playing on the Hard-Drive? Doesn't matter right?

You can download to the MU and then move it to the HDD

Will there be a second season of Spartan Ops?
–deluca34
There is no “Season 2” of Spartan Ops scheduled at the moment, but rest assured the story of Crimson, the Infinity and those characters and events is far from over.
–Frank

Can't say Im surprised. Shame. I feel Spartan Ops was a bit of a failure, but it became pretty fun at the end and I really would have liked to see what they could do with it with a 'season 2'. I wonder if we get a spiritual successor to Spartan Ops in the form of a standalone game, but have it play out more like traditional SP with a real main character. That would be cool.

Um, btw Frankie... Nobody likes Crimson/Majestic Team. However, I do like the Infinity and would like to see more, minus the dudebro (or faceless) Spartans. They did nothing for me, they really just made me feel blah about the story overall. If we get more Infinity give us better, less cliche characters. Please. Bring some Spartan IIs in... Or Lord Hood. Or the Arbiter. Bring in some familiar faces. And give us actual interesting new characters.. Lasky was good, the others weren't.

But anyways, if Spartan Ops is done, can we get Firefight back? Please.

If we go with the high end of that estimate and assume 10 big islands, plus my assumption that the big island is 80x80WUs, that's 800 WU space from the islands to the edge of the map.

Forge World's space, ignoring the fact that a lot of it is not Forgeable:

iwbYhPJ.png

Forge Island's space, with the assumption that big island is 80WUx80WU... and I deleted 200 WU from each side to make it a more conservative guess. It should be noted that coordinates in Reach and Halo 4 cannot go past 1000 or -1000 or else it'll wrap around when you try to edit it, so you can't place anything past 1000 WUs anyway from the center of the map

hMFwkVf.png

So basically, they just said "fuck it" and went to the limits of the engine (or file format, whichever one sounds better to you)

tl;dr GOD DAMN THAT'S A LOT OF SPACE

Um. Wow.

Damn, I wish we had all of the old flying vehicles.. I bet some cool 'dogfight' gametypes could be made with all of that space.

They were worried that boosters and cheaters would abuse them so they made them Waypoint only.

GUYS! Vol. 2 samples!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2cALfpR-M

edit: Holy shit guys, I think Vol. 2 just saved Halo

Why they hell weren't these songs on the soundtrack? So good.

Is that one awesome song from the early BTS/ViDoc on this?

Guys, apparently these aliens were on Abandon at some time:

But someone, as of late, noticed that they are now like this:

Ideas?

See, Waypoint Forums are helpful/cool sometimes

Wait, what..? You mean like they changed since the game came out?

Nah, Motion Blur added in post.

60fps .GIFs would tank.

That looks very impressive. At first my browser hadn't fully loaded it and it was playing like reaction time mode from Mirror's Edge. I had a brainfart for a moment and mistook it for a complete video clip.

Can't wait until html5 becomes the standard in forum software. People can use full color full motion video files instead of gifs limited to 256 colors and no concept of motion simulation to save processing power/file size.

a GIF is basically bruteforcing a flipbook of images.

That would be something. Would probably kill my browser though.

FyreWulff

Can't wait until html5 becomes the standard in forum software. People can use full color full motion video files instead of gifs limited to 256 colors and no concept of motion simulation to save processing power/file size.

a GIF is basically bruteforcing a flipbook of images.

From the Bulletin: (LttP)
Will there be hill/more rock pieces included in Forge Island? What about tree pieces?
–M0aHerder

We don’t provide hills but we did include new rock pieces. These new rocks and trees are available in the “Natural” palette but we also included 2 extra-large rock objects in the “Buildings” palette so you can make a much more natural [lol] map.
–Kynan

Actually Kynan, some of the larger rocks are so big that I've used them as hills and ramps –made some really sweet Warthog jumps, too. Heck, I built a whole level made solely from rocks. So many rocks! Trees, too. I made a giant forest! It was so... necky.
–Vic

Halo 4: Rocks Evolved

Was this a deliberate joke? I missed the discussion this week..

Duji

Seriously, you might have misunderstood. I know exactly all those things I listed. I have and am currently working on bigger, more expensive projects than Halo 4, for a much bigger organization than 343.

My point is that it is somewhat insulting every time the "you don't know shit" argument comes up around here. Just like it was insulting when Frankie implied that customizable controls would cause more button glitches. As if it were the specific buttons that caused the issues, as opposed to the in-game commands themselves.
YourExWife giving them the d. Beautiful.

Madness

Anyone else think all these sales for XBLA and On Demand games is because Microsoft wants to get as much money as possible before they announce that you can't transfer your paid purchases over to the Nextbox?

Not that I'm complaining. I'd understand completely, but I'd be bummed if my XBLA purchases couldn't be transferred over.

Computron

I like it.

The FOV is awesome, and that's actually a pretty nice motion blur implementation.

I do that for all my Halo .gifs, add moblur (in post, BTW, the "implement" is RSMB in AE) and ultrawide. Gets that PC feel even in the console-only Halos.

Earlier this week I was working on a way to matchmove footage of Halo 2 to an offline rendered version of the ripped map which has been upgraded with some mental ray lighting in 3ds max to see if I could comp the new lighting back in.

It was just as a test for some stuff i'm doing, but that would be insane.

HTupolev

Makes me glad we did away with the vertical splitscreen. Boy that was a nightmare on Sacred Icon...
If you set your console to 4:3, Halo 2 does a top-bottom split. It still vertically compromises the FoV compared with the regular 16:9 view (whereas the other Halos lock their vertical FoV and just make the horizontal FoV huge when in split-screen*), but you get a wide enough view, horizontally, for the game to be entirely playable.

*CEA is the other exception. The original game gives you astronomically higher FoV when in split-screen than CEA does.

Omni

Why'd they make Forge Island so big? At least 60%* of the space will be unutilised, especially considering that they aren't doing anything with it (i.e, why would someone go so far out when there is nothing there? The forge budget isn't big enough to make maps that span the entire area so it's just wasteful). If they had made a huge island with different environments (snow, desert... etcetera) and flat areas then I guess I'd understand. But they didn't. They just stuck three islands in the middle.

The rest of the bulletin was pretty irrelevant as usual.

*totally just didn't make that up

Computron

Yea, so I liked that LMG concept I saw in the Destiny GDC Panel an hour ago:

ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png
n952CG4.png

Reminds me of Issac Hannford's work.

So I opened up 3DSmax...:

...and blocked it out in 3D:

ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png
ieurBy2byoAvm.gif

Maybe if I get the time I will take it further, I mean, It looks cool enough...

I wonder if this was a concept they chose to go with?

"Maps are too small!"

"Maps are too big!"

I kinda agree with you but it couldn't be helped :p

It's nice to have freedom away from the islands, but dead space doesn't help anyone. Someone suggested before that it'd be cool if the bigger island had a cave network in the center of the pillar or something. Like what if there were just 2 islands instead and then added a Sandbox-like crypt inside of biggest one to make the smaller space. It'd make for a more interesting map IMO, but that's just my idea.

Madness

It really doesn't take that long when you practice enough.

Plus, this is only a blockout, not much detail. It's all about the proportions.

We'll see about any actual detail if I decide to take this baby all the way with Sub-D modeling.

Here's some bigger pics:

I think the design is fantastic, but do you also get some DMR vibes from it? I get there is only so many ways to make a futuristic rifle/gun, but the first thing I though when I saw it was it's a white DMR.

Love what you did with the 3D block modeling though.

Top Bottom