• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Mildly related to Halo news: Alvin Risk is going to be at Lollapalooza, Chicago's big yearly music festival. I missed him last time he was in town, so I'm hyped to FINALLY get to see him. :lol Hyyyype.

Also Nine Inch Nails omg. Can't wait. Can't believe I'm gonna get to see them. *_*
If Lollapalooza is any indication of who's coming to ACL this year, I'm going to freak right out. Thank god ACL is going to be over two weekends now.

You can forge inside the islands, btw. They didn't put kill zones inside of them.

You know, if you really want to.
How does one get inside the island? Is there a secret Bond villain entrance?

Fuchsdh

I mean. I have to say that looks pretty. I mean for forge standards. I cannot wait what people will make with Forge Island.

OMG! Why did I laugh out loud so much?

Oh man. I feel so bad not going to PAX East this year. The time between our last meeting and next one is way too long.

For Elzar: I am playing BioShock Infinite. I like the world, encounters and gun play is good but not great.

Damn right. My biggest disappointment with Reach is they made those great forested areas at the top of the canyons, but you couldn't actually forge there (killed my attempt to do a Danger Island successor.)

Thanks again to the 343i guys who worked hard to make it happen. Don't see they didn't improve any features Bungie had :p

OMG same here. PAX East and then this trip to Seattle these guys took sounded so awesome. I couldn't actually make the trips though so it's not like I decided not to go. Still sucks though.

Yeah, I'm super jelly of that Seattle trip. Really looking forward to PAX Prime this year.

-------
Speaking of travel, I'll be in San Diego for five days next week (Thurs.-Mon.) to go to a friend's wedding. I'll have a rental car and my DSLR; I want to explore a bit since it's my first time in California. Anyone have sightseeing recommendations?

FyreWulff

If Lollapalooza is any indication of who's coming to ACL this year, I'm going to freak right out. Thank god ACL is going to be over two weekends now.

How does one get inside the island? Is there a secret Bond villain entrance?

Push a teleporter through the side of it, make another teleporter, now you're playing with power

You can forge inside the islands, btw. They didn't put kill zones inside of them.

You know, if you really want to.

Hmm, so if someone builds a map into the side wall they should stick a kill zone inside, right? Just to head off some sort of exploit?

Almost wish there was a deletable one there.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
While the remake is good, if a better one comes along wouldn't it make sense to replace it?

No shit

At this point though unless someone has a real hard on for Lockout, wouldn't their time be better spent remaking a map that doesn't have a good enough remake yet?

link1201

Speaking of travel, I'll be in San Diego for five days next week (Thurs.-Mon.) to go to a friend's wedding. I'll have a rental car and my DSLR; I want to explore a bit since it's my first time in California. Anyone have sightseeing recommendations?

La Jolla has some really cool restaurants with spectacular views, it also has A LOT of seals,lol. Point Loma is pretty cool as well, has a great 360 degree view and a nifty Light House. You can also go to the restaurant that was featured in Top Gun...not much there other than to say you've been.

TheOddOne

Vic tweeted:

proxy.jpg

Lolz, I laughed. Well played, Vic.

Defect

Forge Island, bitches!

edit: Assassins Creed 3 is apparently free on the chinese Xbox marketplace by the way.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/zh-CN/P...acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802555308ae?noSplash=1

But you need a chinese account to get it for free, everytime I try to make one it redirects me to the US page.

I got it. Click on the download then when it says sign in click on sign up at the bottom. Then when it takes you to the US site, change the country to China then hit next. Make the gamertag. Profit.

Edit: Nevermind, you were already told :p

So I wake up to free ACIII? Thank you folks. Downloading now (very slow).

EDIT: nm - picking up speed. Should be done when I'm back from lunch? SWEET!

TheOddOne

Seems 343 got a new senior multiplayer designer? Josh Menke is that guy.

Previosly of Blizzard Entertainment working as Senior Designer II. His linkedin says he worked on:
Matchmaking and ranking design and implementation for Black Ops II, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, and all other Blizzard games as needed. Online game service systems design, progression systems design. Using statistics, data mining, and machine learning to improve games and game balance.

CyReN

Previosly of Blizzard Entertainment working as Senior Designer II. His linkedin says he worked on:
Matchmaking and ranking design and implementation for Black Ops II, Starcraft II, World of Warcraft, and all other Blizzard games as needed. Online game service systems design, progression systems design. Using statistics, data mining, and machine learning to improve games and game balance.

former Ladder and Match-making Designer @ Blizzard

tumblr_inline_mjk3wzWTtD1qz4rgp.gif

un-RIP Halo

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

8================D

That means I'm happy

Sai-kun

Banned

SGLvJ4c.gif

Keep hype in check, Microsoft/343 will strip this man of his soul and ruin what's left of his feeble life.

I hate to say it being a Mets fans, but Halo is like the Mets of video games: Where great players go to be average and/or hurt their careers.

JHall

Interesting.

CSj5uJx.gif

Forge Island!!! So cool it hit out of nowhere today, wtf.

Anyways, my impressions:

+Large!
+Flat!
+Free!
+Natural Palette expansion (rocks, trees)!
+Green Screen!
+Good variety of Forge Pieces
+Kill volumes are forgiving
+Its what Forge should be

-Lack of landmarks or skybox difference for player orientation
-Lighting is flat
-Looks like Ravine (with a little Ragnarok)
-Forge pieces use previous palette (mixed with the Ravine look leads to visual fatigue)

----

Basically, its everything I wanted from Forge with the downside of visual fatigue and flat lighting. I can't wait to see what people pump out!

Yea, so I liked that LMG concept I saw in the Destiny GDC Panel an hour ago:

ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png
n952CG4.png

Reminds me of Issac Hannford's work.

So I opened up 3DSmax...:

...and blocked it out in 3D:

ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png
ieurBy2byoAvm.gif

Maybe if I get the time I will take it further, I mean, It looks cool enough...

I wonder if this was a concept they chose to go with?

How the hell.. you're fast.

Ohhh sounds good.

Talents

Banned

So 343 has finally hired someone good? Took them long enough.

Now just fire the rest of the MP team and hire other good people.

Nebula

Was Fyrewulff right about the space? Because I can fly for fucking ages away from the islands. This is awesome.

Top of the map looking down. I'm just below the soft kill barrier here, and given how small the large island looks, you can take a guess at the amount of room above the map.

He said you could run across it in like 3 minutes 30 seconds. Sounds like a long time to me.

No shit

At this point though unless someone has a real hard on for Lockout, wouldn't their time be better spent remaking a map that doesn't have a good enough remake yet?

Sorry, wasn't picking on you. I just want a Lockout that is to scale.

Also, I really want an official no sprint game type.

So 343 has finally hired someone good? Took them long enough.

Now just fire the rest of the MP team and hire other good people.
I am not sure where you have been the last few months, but Bravo and Quinn were good hires, too. I mean they do incredible stuff. Quinn is playing Halo 4 with community folks every night.

Top Bottom