• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Akai__

I imagine Microsoft do a shit-ton of qualitative and quantitative research on their first-party titles.

There is probably a lot of focus group footage on a server in Redmond somewhere that would make your brain melt if you watched it.

I don't doubt that, but did you or anyone else here ever got a feedback formular, asking what you think of Halo 4 or the Halo series? Do you know people, that were asked for that kind of feedback?

I'm taking the risk, to read through this feedback, even if my brain would melt.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha omg im dieing here.

funniest shit ever, who was trolling on the feedback response forms?

OK Bioshock Infinite is awesome so far.

They were still real halo games at least. you guys liked the games ,i remember when halo 3 was out and reading gaf.

Even with Halo 2's problems it was still the bees knees and will probably always be my favorite Halo game. Sure CE took a lot more skill, and the auto-aim, and the glitches, and whatever else, but holy shit the game was a blast. So many great memories.

Oh absolutely, I was just pointing out to Syphon though that it's always been like that. Halo 2 BTB has yet to be topped as the most fun I've had whenever I play Halo solo. Later Halo games just aren't as fun unless you're with a party IMO.

Tawpgun

Feel free to add new things to Halo, but for me personally, there are core pillars of Halo that are NEVER to be broken.

All of these apply for the standard matchmaking experience. Default Slayer, Default Objective.

1. EQUAL STARTS. Everyone is on equal footing on spawn. And if its a damn symmetrical map please start each team fairly. Looking at you Haven. NOTE: I'm willing to allow the exception of choosing your primary.

2. PREDICTABILITY. Mainly for on map stuff. Equal footing on spawn takes care of player predictability.

3. AGILE MOVEMENT. If you can keep sprint in to appease the converted, fine, but don't you fucking gimp base player movement. I want to feel like a spartan when in combat, not when sprinting, which I might add, fictionally, is laughable for what a spartan should be able to sprint.

4. CLARITY. Clean effects, clean hud. Nothing like flinch. Bring back the team markers to their former glory. To add on to this, keep the HUD icons for Power Weapon/Powerup spawns. Make them appear like 10 seconds early, thats fine.

Everything else, common sense for Halo game. 1 Melee shields, 2 kill. Lower kill times slightly. Headshots. No ADS.

SIDE NOTE: If you want to make a game in a Halo universe that breaks these pillars, go for it. Just make sure its marketed appropriatley. I was disappointed when ODST was Halo 3 lite and Reach wasn't more Ghost Recon Esque. I'm all for a cool new game, but keep the base games intact.

...why weren't any of the halo community regulars added to the focus groups?

Because Juices/Kyle/Wolfpack would have told them that it was shit and made them feel bad?

I'm playing AR shitfests on Narrows and having more fun than I've had on Halo 4 since its launch.

Madness

If we go by the stats then, nearly 12 million people have played the game. Accounting for guests, people who buy used, rent, borrow. You can still say over 7 million+ people have bought the game. How many are still playing?

It's easy to say Halo fatigue, it's what I believe somewhat too, but almost every single one of us, isn't playing as much as we used to and yet we discuss the game here every single day, over and over.

Prior to the launch of Halo 4, HaloGAF was crazy with hype and excitement. Slrp has turned to heavy salt.

Maybe it is fatigue. Oh well, at least they're acknowledging they have to do better for next game. And the experience and learning does help. Look how much Ellis and his team turned Spartan Ops around.

You can bet they'll be fixing everything from UI, Music and Sound, level design, enemy encounters and AI.

The power and storage of the Nextbox should help as well. I just hope they have the hard core competitive community in mind from day one. In game ranks visible for the ranked playlists, static weapon spawns, and equal starts, no random elements.

I was just screwing around with forge island. You can make some great looking maps with the trees and rocks they've added, even if the ground is barebones. I think forge island is a great addition.

TCKaos

Ehh I'm not sure about the not getting it part. I just think there are some things that are out of their control.

I see it like the end of the Namek Saga in DBZ. Goku (343) is charging up the Spirit Bomb (Halo 4) while Freeza (us) is sitting there waiting for that shit. Finally it hits but instead of killing Freeza (fully satisfying us) it just leaves Freeza wounded and pissed. (Not entirely pleased, wanting more!)

It could also be like when Gohan was fighting Cell. Gohan toys with Cell and lets him suffer and due to this Cell goes ahead and has time to detonate himself and kill Goku, where he could have just killed Cell in a few seconds.

broony

Halo multi player should have stayed a last minute side show. The halo universe and campaigns should and could have stayed centre stage. They basically left a door open for fuckwits.

wwm0nkey

Retro made this on the gaming side

halolxqaxu.jpg

Ghazi

Damn everyone I'm going to have to buy Infinite just so I don't get it spoiled for me, I have to pull my hand away from clicking the spoiler thread because of how awesome I've heard the ending is from friends. I had to even stop going on Facebook because people were discussing it there.

If next OT title has nothing to do with GDC I'll cry.

I thought we agreed that it should be "You had me at your blog posts, Jessica", but I'm willing to save that one for later if it's one of the three points that were mentioned on that slide.

TCKaos

Damn everyone I'm going to have to buy Infinite just so I don't get it spoiled for me, I have to pull my hand away from clicking the spoiler thread because of how awesome I've heard the ending is from friends. I had to even stop going on Facebook because people were discussing it there.

I know that feel for the first game. I had it spoiled for me by mandatory reading I had to do for a class.

I'm still pulling for Halo |OT16| The Future is Black.

Madness

Damn, even saying things like 'that ending' are sort of spoiler-ish because it will ruin the build up for me, if I know something crazy is about to happen. I'll now be expecting something outrageous to happen.

And it sucks because I don't have the time to go out and play it now.

ElRenoRaven

I've avoided everything Bioshock till done. Ending stuff doesn't bother me. I fully expect people to hype things up to crazy levels. Hence I'll go in expecting to be let down. lol. I'm pretty early still in the game. My time has been split between it and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Both are awesome btw.

Nebula

Forge Island download is up on the dashboard main page, I thought it wasn't coming out until April?

This is why the OP should be updated with new stuff.

Idea for the next thread maker. Add in the header something like this. "Check OP for updates before posting" or something like that. Not only will it help cut down on repeat posts, but it should also help avoid people missing out on updates because they were not on HaloGAF during the update.

Basically add an update section and add notice in the header.

Ghazi

This is why the OP should be updated with new stuff.

Nope, too busy with Cortana pics.
I've avoided everything Bioshock till done. I'm pretty early still in the game. My time has been split between it and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Both are awesome btw.

That reminds me, I gotta get this soon.
I thought April Fools was coming on April 1st?

Happy early April Fools April Fools

AprilFoolsCeption

If you liked the original you have to. I finished the first Mansion today with all gems and boos. I actually have a strong debate going on within myself over which I like better. Luigi's Mansion or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It's that damn good.

tbh, I've never played a Luigi's Mansion for an extended period of time. I've actually never owned a GameCube, but I played the first Luigi's Mansion at a friends house on their GameCUbe for like 20 minutes. It looks really fun though and I'm getting it over Gates to Infinity because that game looks terrible, it looks like a watered down version of the previous games

ElRenoRaven

Nope, too busy with Cortana pics.

That reminds me, I gotta get this soon.

If you liked the original you have to. I finished the first Mansion today with all gems and boos. I actually have a strong debate going on within myself over which I like better. Luigi's Mansion or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It's that damn good.

FyreWulff

Coming up on deadline crunches gives you the weirdest dreams and the longest sleeps.. anyway.

It's real easy to even just prototype maps on this due to the large flat space.

DzLROEZl.jpg

I do joke about ALL THOSE TREES but they do help visually break up maps and if you're smart about using them, they can be used for orientation by making them heavy on one side or only exist on one side of a map.

We were also talking while I tricked people into playing on this map, but there needs to be at least one map in the Sniper playlist that's a forest. I did snipes on this map and the treeside snipe battles were awesome.

The catering to the hardcore audience comment during the conference is not only extremely ignorant, it's also fucking insulting to someone like myself who has been a longtime (and mediocre multiplayer) Halo fan. This insistence to constantly reward mediocrity just to keep the dim-witted masses' attention is beyond frustrating. Those very people will quickly leave the game for the next shiny spoon despite any best efforts, and all the long time fans are left with is a frustrating core experience with lowly populated branches where the game actually feels more in line with what we've been playing in past games.

Computron

2 things I have found that are complaint worthy about the new map;

The island's surface isn't perfectly flat.

The sun in the skybox doesn't line up with the angle of the shadows being cast, by quite a bit.

I am sure I am forgetting some stuff, but so far I've enjoyed the map quite a bit.
They fixed quite a few of the issues that I've had with some of the forge pieces.

Tawpgun

The catering to the hardcore audience comment during the conference is not only extremely ignorant, it's also fucking insulting to someone like myself who has been a longtime (and mediocre multiplayer) Halo fan. This insistence to constantly reward mediocrity just to keep the dim-witted masses' attention is beyond frustrating. Those very people will quickly leave the game for the next shiny spoon despite any best efforts, and all the long time fans are left with is a frustrating core experience with lowly populated branches where the game actually feels more in line with what we've been playing in past games.

new OT title

Ramirez

You should be banned for such heresy.

Madness

tbh, I've never played a Luigi's Mansion for an extended period of time. I've actually never owned a Gamecube, but I played the first Luigi's Mansion at a friends house on their Gamecube for like 20 minutes. It looks really fun though and I'm getting it over Gates to Infinity because that game looks terrible, it looks like a watered down version of the previous games

One of my best experiences. A lot of people hated that the Gamecube didn't ship with a Mario sunshine or something. But I loved Luigi's Mansion. All I had was that game, and rogue squadron, and they were beautiful games. To be honest, Nintendo is amazing at games when it comes to difficulty and design.

I look at kids gaming today, I don't know how they'll beat a lot of games from the past without strategy guides and YouTube videos.

I even look at myself and wonder how, at barely 5 years old, did I beat Link to the Past myself. And not only that, but got 100% on it from hearts, bottles etc. I almost got 100% on Ocarina save for one bottle and 1/4 a heart piece. I think the bottle may have been from a Poe in the field at night, but it never showed up or something.

Whatever, enough rambling. Is Dark Moon worth buying? I've been thinking of picking up a 3DS, but I keep wondering if a new dual analog redesign isn't coming.

Omni

You can use 50 trees? Not bad. Almost tempted to download it to try it out. How big is the download? ... Oh, they didn't end up adding precision forge controls, did they? It's a tad annoying to Forge without it.

Armadillo-girl.gif

ElRenoRaven

One of my best experiences. A lot of people hated that the Gamecube didn't ship with a Mario sunshine or something. But I loved Luigi's Mansion. All I had was that game, and rogue squadron, and they were beautiful games. To be honest, Nintendo is amazing at games when it comes to difficulty and design.

I look at kids gaming today, I don't know how they'll beat a lot of games from the past without strategy guides and YouTube videos.

I even look at myself and wonder how, at barely 5 years old, did I beat Link to the Past myself. And not only that, but got 100% on it from hearts, bottles etc. I almost got 100% on Ocarina save for one bottle and 1/4 a heart piece. I think the bottle may have been from a Poe in the field at night, but it never showed up or something.

Whatever, enough rambling. Is Dark Moon worth buying? I've been thinking of picking up a 3DS, but I keep wondering if a new dual analog redesign isn't coming.

LIke I said above if you loved the Gamecube one then pick this game up. It's structured differently and it did lose unique ghosts but it still holds up. The gameplay is damn good. I dear say almost better then the cube one. It's set up with missions instead of free roam but you can pretty much free roam the mansions during the later missions in the mansions. Then you have multiplayer both local, download, and online.

So yea. If you loved the gamecube one like you did then buy it. I was the same way back in the cube days. That was my favorite game on the gamecube.

Is this satire?

Ghazi

Hey, Hey, Hey, you can't forget about those tip hotlines that were super expensive to talk on (Just saying that early gaming kids didn't do stuff like that too). This generation of kids have been raised terribly (Playing with iproducts at birth, casuaul Facebook esque games, all the tip/guide stuff on the internet) but there's really nothing to stop that from happening I guess.

Man, you should have bought one during the Target sale. Both the XL and OG models were on sale and I picked up a Blue XL. I doubt a dual stick design is coming, it would potentially completely split the fanbase when games when games start requiring the dual stick if they come out with a re-design.

Also, gratz on the Ocarina completion. I was never able to fully get everything in it.

Top Bottom