• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Untitled-63_zpsd1fcff34.png

Halo is saved. Dat Forge World boost right on Bioshock Infinite weekend (pretty clever I guess)

Bioshock Infinite is awesome, game looks ridiculous. Columbia is so cool, these settings they place you in are awesome, and the music and sound goes so well with it. Its put together so well. I wish all games would put that much effort into their world. I've sat and listened to the friggen radio in certain parts, looked at every Fink oldschool video thinger so far I've found.

Combat is really good. I'm really mixing up all the vigors and weapons almost equally as they all are effective against certain things.

Shields forever too. Put all my upgrades into them. I love how each of their items are part of the world.

No talking about story.

DeadNames

Banned
I feel bad for 343. They are genuinely nice people yet their game doesn't live up to standards and they have horrible design philosophy, so they get the flames.

I'm sure 343 would've made a killer Halo game, but MS probably intervened somewhere.

blamite

Rumble Pro is pretty good in it.

Rumble Pro is pretty good.

Pro is pretty good.

Infinity is bad.

Replace Infinity with Rumble.

Hire DeadNames.

Amazingly almost every game I played in Forge FFA has been Pro. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if people just prefer Pro over Infinity or what but either way it helped a bit.

Whatchu talking bout

Yea WTF. Explain yourself.

Are the maps made for 8 players? The spawns are so bad I'm sick of the game starting with a guy directly in my cross hairs, and pretty often you spawn right next to someone, who's probably one shot because he just killed/someone else. Also some of the maps have ridiculous sight lines, easy to one-shot a weak guy across the map because there's no cover.

Oh and just a personal grief, WAAAAAY too Automatic friendly. Screw the AR. I also think 2 nades are way too much for this playlist where the rooms are already small and limited, grenades are spammed really often.

Obscured

edit: quoted wrong part
By now you should've already been playing competitively from previous titles, if not just shows you care too little to improve your own skill. So it would be useless or you started playing halo with 4. You should have started years ago. Competitive halo seems dead.

Are you trying to say social is a form of competitive play? Or are you saying H4 is competitive?

Cause if you're saying people who "obsess" over getting better just want to be pros is totally off mark. Social has never matched people close to skill ever, ranks did that relatively great. Now the problem is halo has shifted since Reach to cater to the mass casuals who could careless about improving their skills and just want to join in a social match so they can push the left thumb stick up the whole time with no thought. Sorry but competitive and skill gap only works in ranks. RIP in peace Halo.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't asking how I personally can improve. I am an average player so a lot of people would automatically throw me in that group.

I've been playing the game since Halo:CE. My group of friends all tried the multiplayer but it felt kind of empty to us, so we were mainly campaign focused.

We grabbed Halo 2 and went through the campaign again and briefly tried local multiplayer but again didn't grab hold. Later in the game's lifespan I ended up playing a lot at work with a group, but again customs all the time and those people loved rockets and were a bunch of dirty screen watchers. I had finally picked up an Xbox by this time jumping from the PS side and thought about jumping in but that late in the game and the terrible attitude that I seemed to sense from forums about the general type of halo player kept me away.

With Halo 3 I jumped in full bore, but I didn't have a consistent group so was frequently running solo. But even with that would sometimes run into people better than me who happened to also be cool and would give me some suggestions which lead me to try to improve my overall play. I know everyone here has had a perfect experience with 1-50, but mine was more akin to what Stinkles has mentioned a few times, so that resonates with me. That doesn't mean I don't think ranks can't work, but need serious improvement.

I got to the point I like watching twitch streams and seeing high-level play and I also like seeing ridiculous stuff (green screened kitten feed behind gameplay, all day please). I went and tried to find and learn the callouts, learned the weapon placements and timed spawns. I played Halo 3 consistently until the Reach beta and Reach until 4. The biggest thing for me was network performance. Reach was so much better for me in that regard (except near the end) that even though I think 3 is great it is hard to go back to because it is like I'm shooting an arrow over a wall and hoping it hits my brother because it is that inconsistent. (But I still do go back). Reach to 4 was the same thing, I don't get as many random moments (due to network performance).

So even though I am an average player and what many would consider casual I don't jump to the next shiny thing (or I do, but I also stick with Halo). I have that desire to play better and play with others who are 'serious' though I don't always have a consistent group to do that.

My question was how do you make the game competitive, consistent, fair, encouraging teamwork and individual agency, rewarding strategic and tactical thinking and engage a more casual audience in such a way that they want to learn how to play 'right'. Telling them they should have started a decade ago does not seem effective.

It seems the effort to make the game accessible has been directed at compressing a skill gap and putting in more flashy diversions. Another method could be to help people understand what they are in for and prepare them for that, but how do you actually do that?

I used the terms earlier because that is how that audience is often referred to, which all are meant to be derisive. I think that is too bad and that there should be another way.

Are those playing Infinite playing on Xbox? Still looks amazing?

GF borrowed Tomb Raider from work for me for 2 weeks Going to dig into that or Bioshock one tomorrow.

Ghazi

Are the maps made for 8 players? The spawns are so bad I'm sick of the game starting with a guy directly in my cross hairs, and pretty often you spawn right next to someone, who's probably one shot because he just killed/someone else. Also some of the maps have ridiculous sight lines, easy to one-shot a weak guy across the map because there's no cover.

Yeah, this was also something that made me angry. I'd get rushed by two people and somehow manage to kill them both and before I can catch my breath one of them spawns behind me. So frustrating.

While things are being worked on

You can also drop it and use it as a harpoon to kill people.

So you can throw the flag?

Oh man in so you can combine gametypes in MM and I am playing Infection Flag, 2 zombies at the start and their goal is to infect everyone before the humans score.

If you can't find it for some reason, here you go

Oh my.. We're seeing the evolution of Halo through Murder Miners.

wwm0nkey

So you can throw the flag?

Oh my.. We're seeing the evolution of Halo through Murder Miners.

Oh and if you are a zombie you can use your tenticle grab to move the flag to you since you yourself can not hold it when a zombie. Its kind of like having a dollar on a string lol

The Carbine in BSI has the same reticle as the DMR. It's as if I'm in a dream world and playing a 60 fps Halo game when I'm using that gun. Feels good man.

Yea I like the carbine/sniper. When I'm low on either I'll roll shotgun or machine gun. I also love setting traps. Game has some awesome stuff going on in it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Oh and just a personal grief, WAAAAAY too Automatic friendly. Screw the AR. I also think 2 nades are way too much for this playlist where the rooms are already small and limited, grenades are spammed really often.

Well spawns are really hard to do in FFA and we literally didn't have time to work on the spawns much.

Map makers have been updating their maps but we don't know when the maps will get updated in MM. Remember, there were almost 300 maps we had to go through and play on. There were 8 finalists. They were fixed as best as they could be so dick head jetpackers can't break it and so they had predictable ordnance drops. I'm not trying to make excuses but understand this is the Forge Contest playlist and not the final FFA playlist for all of Halo 4.

wwm0nkey

Finally a way to show my idea of how to save CTF. Look at how fun that looks.

Just played the game again and the UI improved drastically. Still trying to get the right aim settings down..

It is A LOT of fun, speaking of which Murder the Flag match.

Not sure if I should upload the harpooning video or not, its like 2 seconds long.

Does the game still freeze every 3 matches
Nope, last updated fixed a lot of freezing issues.

Top Bottom