• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

TCKaos

You can use 50 trees? Not bad.

Trees son. Trees.

Xafxrc3.jpg

r6kdw03.jpg

HgW4oOf.jpg

TCKaos

Ha! I did the same thing but on the small island lol

I have no idea how it plays but I hope it's a total clusterfuck. The shotguns rain down every ten seconds, meaning that you have a constant hail of shit coming down and killing players in addition to the shotguns themselves.

Now I really want to make a decent medium-sized map that uses all of the trees but also has bases and stuff. A competent forested map.

Ghazi

I have no idea how it plays but I hope it's a total clusterfuck. The shotguns rain down every ten seconds, meaning that you have a constant hail of shit coming down and killing players in addition to the shotguns themselves.

Now I really want to make a decent medium-sized map that uses all of the trees but also has bases and stuff. A competent forested map.

Watch the Ordnance drops kill more people than the players do.

Pop

Trees son. Trees.

Oh snap, 5fps

-----

For me it's not Halo fatigue, I still play H3 almost everyday. But everyone's already covered why H4 is a disappointment. I believe 343i will continue to cater to the casual fotm players in future titles while we long time fans are sitting here scratching our heads. Hell they're already showing how much they care about competitive players.

I still can't believe they used that picture.

Insulting I say.

Fuchsdh

Who's online to play some frustrating core experiences, then? Otherwise I'll just Forge all by my lonesome, making a raptor paddock map...

Jurassic Park can't come soon enough to theaters. Heading to Vegas for NAB, and then the next week a Halo LAN with a side of JP 3D. Hyped, even if the melodica cover's majesty will never be topped.

FyreWulff

Here's a fun glitch that I'm not sure only happens on Forge Island:

1. Make a teleporter on the starting island.
2. Go out to one of the edges, make a porter exit there
3. Go back to big island, spawn any object
4. Try to take it through the porter
5. Watch as the piece fails to port with you and you're pulled back across the map to Big Island at a high rate of speed

Obscured

Trees son. Trees.

That looks fantastic.

I threw down a few trees and just running through and around a couple was awesome. Can't wait to see what people come up with. Those rock walls also just made me smile.

I also did a quick green screen box, dropping yourself in there is super disorienting, but somehow cool.

To the other conversation going on, how do you get the causals, the BKs, the babbies, the randoms (and I'll include myself in this group) to want to play in a more competitive fashion?

Pop

To the other conversation going on, how do you get the causals, the BKs, the babbies, the randoms (and I'll include myself in this group) to want to play in a more competitive fashion?

By now you should've already been playing competitively from previous titles, if not just shows you care too little to improve your own skill. So it would be useless or you started playing halo with 4. You should have started years ago. Competitive halo seems dead.

Fuchsdh

By now you should've already been playing competitively from previous titles, if not just shows you care too little to improve your own skill. So it would be useless or you started playing halo with 4. You should have started years ago. Competitive halo seems dead.

Some people don't have the time to spend obsessing over getting better; they just want to be matched up with people reasonably close to their skill leave and have "competitive" games in the sense they don't get stomped on all the time. The idea of "if you're not trying to be pro, why are you playing" misses the point of mass-market games entirely.

That's the point. They don't care. It's Halo. They'll play whatever is in front of them so might as well make it competitive.

Overdoziz

Banned
Bioshock Infinite is the most beautiful game I've ever played.
It definitely looks pretty. I hate how buildings in the background are all blurry, though. Far Cry 3 does the same thing with islands in the background and it looks absolutely awful.

Pop

Some people don't have the time to spend obsessing over getting better; they just want to be matched up with people reasonably close to their skill leave and have "competitive" games in the sense they don't get stomped on all the time. The idea of "if you're not trying to be pro, why are you playing" misses the point of mass-market games entirely.

Are you trying to say social is a form of competitive play? Or are you saying H4 is competitive?

Cause if you're saying people who "obsess" over getting better just want to be pros is totally off mark. Social has never matched people close to skill ever, ranks did that relatively great. Now the problem is halo has shifted since Reach to cater to the mass casuals who could careless about improving their skills and just want to join in a social match so they can push the left thumb stick up the whole time with no thought. Sorry but competitive and skill gap only works in ranks. RIP in peace Halo.

Madness

That's why you have ranked and social. So the people who don't have time to spend obsessing over getting better can pick up a controller and play.

I don't get what you're trying to say about reasonably close to their skill level. If you don't routinely play, it'll be hard to match you up, especially since others will play.

It's like saying you play basketball once a week, but then don't like the fact that when you get on the court, there are people who play for hours a day and and are better than you.

I'm the furthest thing from a pro, I just like to join, play some matches and leave. But I'd like to know if I'm getting better. It's part of life. Whether it's school, sports, work. It means nothing to me if we all get smiley faces on our tests at school as opposed to actual grades.

FyreWulff

Those are roughly accurate to the 0,0 centerpoint of the map to the coordinate system for Forge World and Forge Island, by the way. Interesting that both are kind of off to the right of the origin

Top Bottom