• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Looks fantastic, A little on the tall side maybe but it should not impact gameplay. Be real interested to know how the playtests go.

Horrible Asylum remake

Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I can complain about anything else, their handling of Forge, at least from results of the map output, has been excellent. That there is a ludicrous improvement aesthetically than the Sanc remake in Reach. I mean it still has its distinctly Forge look, but at least it's taken steps into looking like an authentic map than the completely sterile look of everything in Reach.
I dunno, I like the cleaner look of the Forge pieces in Reach.

HTupolev

Forge Island would look a bit better if the ground was a richer, darker green and the pieces weren't such a hot white and didn't bloom so much. They're throwing more contrast than they need to at Forge maps, especially given that the "dynamic" lighting is a fairly flat-looking single pass. It has plenty of character without stark bright areas awkwardly blooming haze into the shadowed spots.

Shadders

If 343 did anything major for April Fools people would only criticise them for slacking off when they could be fixing the game.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, tell that to the 100+ people who spend 2 years of their life working on it.

I'm sure all those artists and programmers would love for someone who cares about story to make their contributions shine. As it is... it does feel like a wasted effort, like multiplayer in Spec Ops or Bioshock. Sure, I've no doubt people worked hard on it, but it really shouldn't have been attempted unless they were going to do right by it.

I dunno, I like the cleaner look of the Forge pieces in Reach.
The texturing on the ones in Reach were so busy, comprising a map with them combined with the flat lighting just made for something incomprehensible to my eyes. There was no depth to anything and the results weren't pretty. I mean 4's aren't perfect by any stretch, and there's the apparent functional step down to the Forgers themselves, but the results are way better IMO.

Finally got my interview up with Kevin Franklin and a sneak peak at Outcast from the upcoming Castle Map pack video up. You can check it out here.

I will also be uploading my pretty in-depth and hardcore interview about competitive gaming with Walshy this week too. That one was really fun - asked him tons about Halo and the competitive side of gaming. ;) I know you guys will appreciate that one. Dave is a really great guy.

Cool, you seemed comfortable interviewing. Funny how he went for your hand like that and kept looking at the TV lol

Armor Watcher site owner shared these. Pretty Awesome.
Godzilla Mod In Forge Island Captures.
And Last One.

This is so damn awesome. Halo needs to step up the Custom Game options.. A paintball mode would be cool ;]

Overdoziz

Banned
The blue and white textures on the Halo 4 Forge objects create an even more chaotic look than the glass and grey combination of the Reach objects did.

Tawpgun

If 343 did anything major for April Fools people would only criticise them for slacking off when they could be fixing the game.
Nah, everyone loves game Dev April fools.

Not gonna lie though, putting unobtainable challenges as the joke was kinda lame.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The blue and white textures on the Halo 4 Forge objects create an even more chaotic look than the glass and grey combination of the Reach objects.
I can't agree with this. Every single primitive in Reach was a mangled mess of glass and bland grey texturing.

It was truly hideous. At least the new lighting, ability to tweak accent colours and the textures used in Halo 4 don't give off the same muddy look. Halo 4's pieces have a bit more consistency to them.

LD2k

Neo Member
Cool, you seemed comfortable interviewing. Funny how he went for your hand like that and kept looking at the TV lol
It was fun. Yeah we broadcasted for 2K and showed off the floor. I ran my ass over to the Halo booth immediately ;)

Kevin, Jessica and Andy were all great. Was really fun talking with each of them. I feel confident the team is working towards improving from fan feedback. On top of that, they're really great people. I appreciate the time they took.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Forge Island would look a bit better if the ground was a richer, darker green and the pieces weren't such a hot white and didn't bloom so much. They're throwing more contrast than they need to at Forge maps, especially given that the "dynamic" lighting is a fairly flat-looking single pass. It has plenty of character without stark bright areas awkwardly blooming haze into the shadowed spots.

Forge World actually looks great with the Juicy FX.

I can't agree with this. Every single primitive in Reach was a mangled mess of glass and bland grey texturing.

It was truly hideous. At least the new lighting, ability to tweak accent colours and the textures used in Halo 4 don't give off the same muddy look. Halo 4's pieces have a bit more consistency to them.

Yup, Forge in 4 is much more appealing than Reach.

Yeah I think almost all maps loke more Haloish with the juicy fx

Too bad Halo 3 didn't launch with Juicy as default. Definitely felt more Halo to me too.

I don't have any of the problems that you do, I'm assuming its probably your hard drive. If it weren't official that would have been the obvious answer

Well I redownloaded SSX and it works now... maybe it's just trial and error for me until I get lucky. :p

Also, any Wrestling fans in HaloGAF watching Wrestlemania this Sunday? ;P

Fuchsdh

Yup, Forge in 4 is much more appealing than Reach.

Too bad Halo 3 didn't launch with Juicy as default. Definitely felt more Halo to me too.

Juicy is like 25% too oversaturated for me (after all it was on top of Halo 3's colorful palette.) If they toned it down slightly that's what I'd love for the default to be. Halo 4 is certainly more clean and colorful than Reach, but I don't think the pastels really work that well in terms of multiplayer.

Marty O' Donnell runs HaloGAFShitPosts. It was because of my musical rant.

I type walls of text specifically so they can't be used against me in a court of twitter law.

Nebula

abEY1eK.gif

This has to be a sign

Any day that gif is posted is a glorious day. Sanc remake looks good, a bit tall maybe but I'll see when I decide to get a look at it myself. Nice to see Forge Island being used well already. Someone should see if the Juicy FX makes it look better and see if it poops on the framerate.

Marty O' Donnell runs HaloGAFShitPosts. It was because of my musical rant.

I type walls of text specifically so they can't be used against me in a court of twitter law.

This isn't a wall of text. Muhuhahaha.

IHaveIce

Banned
Would kind of suck if the guy behind the twitter account is just a waypoint fratboy ... or even a 343 industries employee

edit: inb4 my post is tweeted

m23

Well I redownloaded SSX and it works now... maybe it's just trial and error for me until I get lucky. :p

I'm not really a big wrestling fan, stopped watching a few years back but I'll be watching. I mean, it's Wrestlemania.

If Taker loses to that idiot......

Nebula

I have a job interview on Wednesday (FINALLY) and I could very well be asked to start on Monday. I might end up missing the live showing which sucks because me and 2 friends always get together to watch WWE PPVs.

I might be lucky and be able to watch it though.
Cena wins lol

Top Bottom