• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I forget that Halo 4 even has challenges, mainly because its like nine menus deep, if I dont walk into them while playing and see the ticker come up I wont even know what they are.

Extraction was a good playlist before the population dropped off the face of the erf. I'm sure Throwdown is great for people who are better than me and have three other good friends to play with.

Solo players get fucked, as usual.

I stopped playing extraction without a voting party because multi-arm extraction is fucking boring as shit.

I forget that Halo 4 even has challenges, mainly because its like one menu deep, if I dont walk into them while playing and see the ticker come up I wont even know what they are.

FTFY. I know it's fun to exaggerate but they're no more hidden than in Reach.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I forget that Halo 4 even has challenges, mainly because its like nine menus deep, if I dont walk into them while playing and see the ticker come up I wont even know what they are.

Not to mention Halo 4's menus run at like, 15 frames per second. Never open that shit.

I stopped playing extraction without a voting party because multi-arm extraction is fucking boring as shit.

1-site is really good. anything other than that is, as you said, boring as shit.

Another thing to add to the overall dislike of the Halo 4 menus; the missing feature of being able to select a challenge and being taken to the appropriate playlist like Reach did so well. Considering that the menus look like they were subbed out to 3 different companies, it's not surprising that this wasn't implemented.

>bought SSX on demand
>Boots up game
>disc is unreadable error

Uhh... what? XD

I have so many problems with downloading stuff off Xbox Live I don't understand it. When I bought Reach on Demand, the game wouldn't actually download until I got brand new Internet from a different IPS, and no matter what, after 10 tries and redownloading the Anniversary Map Pack I still can't play 2 of the maps because they crash my game, and GTA San Andreas won't play after it downloads. :p

I regret this already, shame MS is really hard to get refunds from or I'd call for SSX, and even if I did get a refund I'd put a red-flag on my account and be perma banned if I ever played SSX. >_<

1 menu or 9 menu's is not the issue its the clumsy UI of Halo 4 that impacts peoples awareness of the challenges I forget about them constantly. It might also have something to do with the fact I have no desire to gain extra XP because I don't care about what SR i am its completely meaningless.

1-site is really good. anything other than that is, as you said, boring as shit.

Like I said, with a voting party, extraction is great. You just make sure to vote for 1-site. You have to have a party to vote in CTF now too, because not only is it still on shitty assymetrical maps, but you have to fend against Infinity CTF as well now.

1 menu or 9 menu's is not the issue

It was what he mentioned as his reason.

its the clumsy UI of Halo 4 that impacts peoples awareness of the challenges I forget about them constantly. It might also have something to do with the fact I have no desire to gain extra XP because I don't care about what SR i am its completely meaningless.

Holy run-ons, Batman!
In any case, it's unanimous that the H4 UI, especially the menu system, is absolute shit. I don't care about challenges (and didn't in Reach, either), because they are never interesting, and, with the exception of a couple campaign ones, are rarely actually challenging. The fact that they get re-hashed all the time doesn't help either. The progression system is too stretched in some areas (commendations) and too short in others (XP/SR) that it's not worth it to care.

I have to wonder if Halo 4's menus would run more efficiently if they just didn't have as much damn post-processing going on. If anything I think it'd actually look better if it took a simpler approach.

Tawpgun

I have to wonder if Halo 4's menus would run more efficiently if they just didn't have as much damn post-processing going on. If anything I think it'd actually look better if it took a simpler approach.

Needs to be plastered on the walls of 343i.

Gotta stop convuluting the game. Every Halo has ADDED something to the mix. Each game having more STUFF in the gameplay than the previous version.

darthbob

>bought SSX on demand
>Boots up game

Uhh... what? XD

I have so many problems with downloading stuff off Xbox Live I don't understand it. When I bought Reach on Demand, the game wouldn't actually download until I got brand new Internet from a different IPS, and no matter what, after 10 tries and redownloading the Anniversary Map Pack I still can't play 2 of the maps because they crash my game, and GTA San Andreas won't play after it downloads. :p

I regret this already, shame MS is really hard to get refunds from or I'd call for SSX, and even if I did get a refund I'd put a red-flag on my account and be perma banned if I ever played SSX. >_<

Sounds to me that this is less of an Xbox LIVE issue and more of an issue with your storage device.

Depending on what you use, presumably an HDD, I'd recommend trying either a flash drive, or a new HDD. The issue that you're having with San Andreas is generally due to fake 'official' Xbox 360 storage devices which do not contain the storage partition responsible for backwards compatibility.

Fuchsdh

I dunno. The GDC talk made me think 343i knows it messed up a lot of stuff, but their insistence that the Chief, Dawn, etc. get changed irks me further.

Tawpgun

OR IS IT.

It is. They would never.

I can forsee a huge rebalancing. Do I see loadouts going away. No. But perhaps playlists will have the ability of restricting items. Armor Abilities are definitely staying.

I can see personal ordnance staying and at best chance being only reserved for Infinity settings which I HOPE WILL BE A SMALL SUBSET OF THE GAME.

Global Weapon Drops I can see being put back to being static though.

I dunno. The GDC talk made me think 343i knows it messed up a lot of stuff, but their insistence that the Chief, Dawn, etc. get changed irks me further.
From a story telling perspective, maybe. But it seems they were quite fond of themselves for the multiplayer.

I see Halo 5 being revamped and the first vidoc being entitled "Halo 5: Back to the Basics."

Same I really hope they embrace the communities. Talk about how campaign theater and scoring is in, for the speedrunners along with speedrunning achievements. Theater co-op viewing is back in, UI is returned to a simplistic style that Halo CE, 2, 3, and Reach used. Then they go into talking about a ranking sytem a return to arena shooting and smaller 4v4 map focus. Removal of perks, unlocking gameplay features and going back to aesthetic unlocking only, removal of a ton of pre-game release exclusives. Then they go on to install dedicated servers for the first time in a Halo game. Then after all that they go on to talk about how they will continue to support BTB Forge, Living Dead. These gametypes dont need to be their own waste of resources (flood, grif) you simply have to include the options to create the gametypes.

All in a sweet ass vidoc, showing they really get Halo gamers.

I love dreaming of how good Halo could be.

Also the coolest new feature available after a game during your matching into the next game you upload that file to the stat servers and you can then go back to Waypoint stats page and watch a rough version of each game you've ever played!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I dunno about y'all but I really like H4 Chief.

+1

Chief and Cortana were mostly fine. The issue was the lack of character depth and narrative for the Didact and Prometheans. If I hadn't read Cryptum I would have had no idea who he was. I even hinted towards this before launch, wondering if 343 would be able to explain who the Didact was to people who didn't read the extended fiction, they did not do it at all.

Halo 5 pls.

Fuchsdh

Same I really hope they embrace the communities. Talk about how campaign theater and scoring is in, for the speedrunners along with speedrunning achievements. Theater co-op viewing is back in, UI is returned to a simplistic style that Halo CE, 2, 3, and Reach used. Then they go into talking about a ranking sytem a return to arena shooting and smaller 4v4 map focus. Removal of perks, unlocking gameplay features and going back to aesthetic unlocking only, removal of a ton of pre-game release exclusives. Then they go on to install dedicated servers for the first time in a Halo game. Then after all that they go on to talk about how they will continue to support BTB Forge, Living Dead. These gametypes dont need to be their own waste of resources (flood, grif) you simply have to include the options to create the gametypes.

All in a sweet ass vidoc, showing they really get Halo gamers.

I love dreaming of how good Halo could be.

I'd point out UI in Halo 4 *is* pretty simple, I think it's deficiencies have to do with organization more than anything (if you're talking about in-game, same goes, except I would add a dollop of simplicity too.)

TheOddOne

The staffed three notable people recently: Bravo (Community focused), Josh Menke (Known for helping design ranks and progression) and Quinn DelHoyo (One of the guys behind Gears 3 MP, which had dedicated servers and was very community focused).

All fresh blood. Hopefully it yields into something decent :|

Thing is, when Halo was top dog there were any number of imitators that couldn't hit the same mark. You can have all the talent you want under the same umbrella but there's a reason why it couldn't hit Bungie's high with the numerous others before them.

Then again this isn't an advocation for Bungie making 4, they were clearly losing it by Reach. I dunno, a decade is a good run, maybe Halo didn't need anything more.

+1

Chief and Cortana were mostly fine. The issue was the lack of character depth and narrative for the Didact and Prometheans. If I hadn't read Cryptum I would have had no idea who he was. I even hinted towards this before launch, wondering if 343 would be able to explain who the Didact was to people who didn't read the extended fiction, they did not do it at all.

Halo 5 pls.
In the panel he seemed dumbstruck at the confusion regarding Didact's motivations and going on that he's a pretty simple character. The problem was exactly that, he was a two dimensional generic villain that wanted people dead just cus as far as the game's narrative wove it, he was there, he wanted to knock everyone down, you had to knock him down instead. STORY

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In the panel he seemed dumbstruck at the confusion regarding Didact's motivations and going on that he's a pretty simple character. The problem was exactly that, he was a two dimensional generic villain that wanted people dead just cus as far as the game's narrative wove it, he was there, he wanted to knock everyone down, you had to knock him down instead. STORY

This is what upsets me about the plot. Those of us who read Cryptum know the Didact is an awesome character with a lot of depth, and that the Forerunners are very awesome and mysterious, but those who just play the games saw the Didact (as someone here put it) as a "mustache twirling villain" that was just one-dimensional as "the bad guy."

I want the people that didn't read the books to see how interesting the Didact (and his supporting cast) actually is, but none of that came across in the game.

The world must be ending, I criticized Halo 4 again.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The staffed three notable people recently: Bravo (Community focused), Josh Menke (Known for helping design ranks and progression) and Quinn DelHoyo (One of the guys behind Gears 3 MP, which had dedicated servers and was very community focused).

All fresh blood. Hopefully it yields into something decent :|

I was actually playing some CTF with Quinn last night. Games were fun

TheOddOne

i'm not entirely sure who you are
DC8eEEx.gif

You are the dog, DeadNames is the cat.

Tunavi

Banned
>bought SSX on demand
>Boots up game

Uhh... what? XD

You don't have an official Microsoft Xbox 360 hard drive, do you?

LD2k

Neo Member
Finally got my interview up with Kevin Franklin and a sneak peak at Outcast from the upcoming Castle Map pack video up. You can check it out here.

I will also be uploading my pretty in-depth and hardcore interview about competitive gaming with Walshy this week too. That one was really fun - asked him tons about Halo and the competitive side of gaming. ;) I know you guys will appreciate that one. Dave is a really great guy.

Tunavi

Banned
I use the Hard Drive that came with my Xbox 360 Pro Unit in 2008. Maybe it just doesn't work right after years of being dropped by accident. :p
I don't have any of the problems that you do, I'm assuming its probably your hard drive. If it weren't official that would have been the obvious answer

Top Bottom