• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Wait, Dax is a girl?
ibn1k1gTC6v9xX.gif

Madness

I hope she is ok. Those last tweets were... a little worrying.

Damn, I didn't see that, my mistake. Hope she feels much better and gets whatever help she needs. I remember she posted she was sad and wanted us to wish her a happy birthday.

Edit: Poland, I was only lurking then but I believed she mentioned she was having problems and that she'd like it if we could refer to her as 'she/her' from now on. I don't know her personally, but I respect her courage, her wishes and decision on how to live her life. That's why ever since I've joined, I've taken note of that fact.

Credibility=gone
FOREVER

It was super boring.

Location was horrible
Characters were dull
Story felt like filler
Gameplay brought nothing new
Literally the only eventful thing was
Lucy getting stabbed
and that made up the last 10 seconds of the game

It basically takes all the elements that this series gets shit on for and makes a game out of them.

AC discussion:

What were they thinking with the entire beginning of AC3? I had no idea it was going to be this boring going into it.

The multiplayer though has been a blast. Sneak King 2 needs to come out with multiplayer like this ;]

Sneak-King-Gameplay-Screenshot-2.jpg

It was super boring.

Location was horrible
Characters were dull
Story felt like filler
Lucy getting stabbed

It basically takes all the elements that this series gets shit on for and makes a game out of them.

But you think revelations was better than that?

Sai-kun

Banned
Wait, Dax is a girl?

Yes.

No he's a girl in a boy.

No.

AC discussion:

What were they thinking with the entire beginning of AC3? I had no idea it was going to be this boring going into it.

The multiplayer though has been a blast. Sneak King 2 needs to come out with multiplayer like this ;]

AC3 MP is probably the best in the series. Wolf pack is the best thing they ever did. It's so fantastic!

Disagree. Skyline looks like a map which could be part of New Alexandria. Overall the new maps are more "colorful"(I am using the wrong term. Clearly I am). The aesthetic seems more from Halo 3 than Halo 4. I like the art style. Especially inn contrast to Halo 4's other maps.

I'll hold my final judgment til I actually get a chance to play the maps, but Im going to have to disagree. What I saw looked very slapped together with white UNSC building blocks. The art doesn't have the built by hand look anymore, and looks interchangeable with many of the maps with UNSC aesthetics.

It was super boring.
Opinion.

Location was horrible
What? Rome was better than anything in the previous editions and IMO better than Constantinople.
Characters were dull
Ezio is at his best in Brotherhood. Most other characters were returned from ACII, so if you liked them then, you should like them now.
Story felt like filler
The Desmond story in modern times has always been terrible. Ezio's was fine.
Execution Streaks. Crossbow. Poison Darts. Ability to permanently carry Heavy Weapons.
Lucy getting stabbed
She was the only interesting character in the modern setting, and her death turned me off the series entirely. That's how much I hated it. That was eventful in the same way Bambi's mom getting shot was.

I hope she is ok. Those last tweets were... a little worrying.
Her situation has to be extremely isolating. Poor kid.

On the Halo note, I think N00bs is right. Playlists need to be segregated into Infinity and everything that's not Infinity. I actually really like the Throwdown settings with Ordnance, but without any real communication to the player of playlist details it can be somewhat confusing. It's why I think at the very least gametypes need to be isolated to one per voting round, and just choose the map you'd prefer to play on. Rotate the gametypes consistently, have a brief description of them while you're waiting for the voting to end.

And for heaven's sake 343, get rid of Infinity CTF. Stop forcing the shitty randomness of Ordnance down our throats despite the fact that you're proud of it for some reason.

Fuchsdh

So is Ellis still bequeathing map pack codes? I've been stuck in work for 34 of the last 48 hours and was nearly run over by a car today, so that's my sob story.

It's halo-related because for a split second I truly thought it was Kat who was going to plow into me, instead of some chick who looked like her.

Gordon

On the Halo note, I think N00bs is right. Playlists need to be segregated into Infinity and everything that's not Infinity. I actually really like the Throwdown settings with Ordnance, but without any real communication to the player of playlist details it can be somewhat confusing. It's why I think at the very least gametypes need to be isolated to one per voting round, and just choose the map you'd prefer to play on. Rotate the gametypes consistently, have a brief description of them while you're waiting for the voting to end.
Yeah - my only real solid complaint about Throwdown is that it confused the hell out the randoms I got matched with. They spent the whole game distracted by their radar and wondering where the AAs were coming from. (I would have plugged my mike in and informed them, but my son was going to sleep, so I was playing silent)

But you think revelations was better than that?

Yeah

Better location
Some great characters (Yusuf Tazim, Clay, Bill and Sofia)
Hook blade gameplay
Far better story
Altair sections played really well
Desmonds history mission were kinda cool
Wrapped up Altair and Ezio really well

I enjoyed revelations much much more

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah

Better location
Some great characters (Yusuf Tazim, Clay, Bill and Sofia)
Hook blade gameplay
Far better story
Altair sections played really well
Desmonds history mission were kinda cool
Wrapped up Altair and Ezio really well

I enjoyed revelations much much more

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

FyreWulff

Fuck, really? Source? Love this game, but cant justify paying 1600 points for 3 maps and 3 gametypes with such a low population.

No source, but the last DLC to drop in price was Mythic 1.

H3:
Heroic - free (pre Don Mattrick)
Legendary - 160msp now (Mattrick fully takes over about this time. Cold Storage can only appear in playlists where Legendary is required)
Mythic 1 - 400msp (last DLC to get a permanent price cut)
Mythic 2 - 800msp since launch

Wars -
Gametype DLC - 800msp since launch
Map pack - 800msp since launch

Reach
Noble - 800msp since launch
Defiant - 800msp since launch
Anniversary - 1200msp since launch

If they weren't going to price cut Reach's DLC to help DLC owners play DLC in Reach MM, I don't think they're going to budge on the prices any more.

No source, but the last DLC to drop in price was Mythic 1.

H3:
Heroic - free (pre Don Mattrick)
Legendary - 160msp now (Mattrick fully takes over about this time. Cold Storage can only appear in playlists where Legendary is required)
Mythic 1 - 400msp (last DLC to get a permanent price cut)
Mythic 2 - 800msp since launch

Wars -
Gametype DLC - 800msp since launch
Map pack - 800msp since launch

Reach
Noble - 800msp since launch
Defiant - 800msp since launch
Anniversary - 1200msp since launch

If they weren't going to price cut Reach's DLC to help DLC owners play DLC in Reach MM, I don't think they're going to budge on the prices any more.

I meant more in terms of a sale. MS policies are fucking stupid. Guess Ill just hold out for a sale or whatever.

Remember how good DLC implementation in Halo 2 was? All because the maps were free eventually. People knew they were gonna be free after some time and still paid for them when they came out. Publishers are too fucking greedy to do this anymore. Good times though.

Thanks for the info!

The fact is that making the maps free increases their worth for the people that pay for them because it means they'll be able make more frequent use of them.

heckfu

Banned
The fact is that making the maps free increases their worth for the people that pay for them because it means they'll be able make more frequent use of them.

Like, logistically that makes sense in terms of dollars and cents, but it would piss off SO many people and set a precedent of, "I'm not going to pay for maps in the future because I can get them for free!"

Tawpgun

Like, logistically that makes sense in terms of dollars and cents, but it would piss off SO many people and set a precedent of, "I'm not going to pay for maps in the future because I can get them for free!"
Offer incentives for early buyers.

I saved DLC

Exactly. A shit load of people still paid for the Halo 2 maps knowing they would be free in a few months.

The people who paid, will then pay early again for future Map packs because they know they will get to use them.

And all the cheap cunts like myself can play the maps too.

Everyones happy.

Karl2177

Timed exclusivity isn't as bad though. Had MS launched Mythic II 6 months later(oh wait they did) and made it free, I doubt that many people would be complaining.

GhaleonEB

I liked Bungie's approach with Halo 2 map packs and the Heroic one, where they informed consumers up front of the time frame the maps wouuld go free. That way people could make an informed decision, based on whether they felt they would get their money worth on the purchase, or if they wanted to wait. But in the end everyone got the maps.

Ah, good times. I'll think back fondly on those days in the retirement home.

I liked Bungie's approach with Halo 2 map packs and the Heroic one, where they informed consumers up front of the time frame the maps wouuld go free. That way people could make an informed decision, based on whether they felt they would get their money worth on the purchase, or if they wanted to wait. But in the end everyone got the maps.

Just makes the most sense. Where has all the sense in Halo gone?

The best part was how familiar we all became with the DLC maps, whereas now Im like "Oh shit were playing a DLC map!!"

On Halo 2 they were all just regular maps that constantly came up.

Modders were a harsh reminder we were playing on DLC however

FyreWulff

I always felt that paying for them at the first release was the way to show support for releasing them, and paid for getting them before the rest of matchmaking did. Releasing them for free later then meant that all the DLC purchasers could then actually regularly play the DLC they paid for.

They could easily nowadays put some sort of incentive in, like purchasing a map pack before it goes free gives you special armor or something. Bungie gave you free Bungie Pro if you bought Legendary before it's price cut. Stuff like that.

I'm just disappointed that anything not Anniversary in Reach was hard to come by. The day they accidentally required DLC in BTB, the population dropped from 5,000 to 1,500 in 10 minutes.

Don't even get me started on the Anniversary disc again

Just throwing it out there: I'm not usually a fan of paywalls, but if they really need incentive, they could have Crimson DLC be a Double EXP playlist for its entire lifespan. When Majestic comes out, Crimson becomes free-to-play. Crimson DLC playlist is replaced by Majestic DLC playlist upon making Crimson free.

EDIT: In addition to this, a skill-based ranking system that requires some actual dedication would help. That way you can have a progressive, fluctuating rank and make it so that EXP is closer in length to Reach, but only affects cosmetic options. Otherwise I could see a potential flaw in having the SR-130's waiting for it to be free.

orznge

Banned
Just throwing it out there: I'm not usually a fan of paywalls, but if they really need incentive, they could have Crimson DLC be a Double EXP playlist for its entire lifespan. When Majestic comes out, Crimson becomes free-to-play. Crimson DLC playlist is replaced by Majestic DLC playlist upon making Crimson free.

that is a really good idea

Woorloog

Banned
Finished Halo 4 campaign again.
Definetly one of my favorite Halo campaigns, though gameplay could use some tweaking. At least it isn't horrible like Reach (no inhumanly (no pun intended) accurate AI, except when in a vehicle).
But... It doesn't "WoW!" me anymore. No Halo does. I feel like i've seen everything Haloverse has to offer. Megaconstructs, AIs, aliens, alien worlds, alien cultures...
I'm BORED of Halo. Not Halo 4, of Halo in general.
At least in FPS form, i think... gimme a whole fucking Halo or Shield World to explore, open world-style. Maybe that would rekindle my interest in Halo.

Madness

Even gears 3 had a price drop on its season pass in a month or two if I recall.

I don't know, with the fact new sales have stagnated and the dropping player population, the fact that so many got Crimson for free, you'd think they'd drop the price. At this point just release crimson for free so people can play them in addition to the rest of the maps.

I think MS is the greedy ones, not publishers. I remember in Gears 1 they were choked Epic gave maps for free and basically forbid them from doing it again.

I think H2 worked perfectly. It also helped that the game was so good and so fun, you actually couldn't wait to pay more to get maps.

Top Bottom