• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

FyreWulff

DAGD96X.jpg

Anyone know if it's at all possible to get dialogue from Halo 4's cutscenes without any music in the background?

The trick in 3, ODST and Reach was to go into theater because all of the audio runs on separate "cues" depending on the layer it's in. So while it was tedious, if you really wanted to you could wait for a music cue, tap the right trigger to fast-forward for a frame (which, for whatever reason, skips all the current "sustaining" audio such as background music) and then let the dialogue play on its own.

But with 4, well...

Ghazi

I thought that big Games on Demand sale was supposed to start today. Everything (on Xbox.com) looks normal priced, what gives?

Akai__

Got all the achievements. Won't play Halo 4, until next map pack or skill system release, probably.

If somebody needs help boosting, notify me.

Korosenai

Lmao, I just got the Flash of Light achievement.

I got KOTH on Monolith, rushed the rockets in the middle and threw down two pulse grenades. Two guys on the other team rushed for rockets and one of them picked it up. He then shot me with his rockets, killing himself and his teammate in the process. Achievement unlocked. He also shot the rockets a second or two after the pulse grenade was already gone.

J10

Banned
Anyone know if it's at all possible to get dialogue from Halo 4's cutscenes without any music in the background?

In previous games playing your own music (plug in an mp3 player) would override the game's music during gameplay, but not the dialogue (not sure if this works for cutscenes, but you can try it). Just turn down the volume of the mp3 player via the guide button music menu.

Alchemical

Neo Member
Well judging from the videos alone, I'm very impressed with Skyline (especially for 2v2). Enough to probably spend my current credit balance on this map pack. Fuck the achievements though. Couldn't agree more with Havok's recommendations in that regard. Encouraging a specific form of gameplay - especially one that is for all intents and purposes, horribly cheap - is just asinine and will only lead to greater levels of player frustration than those which already exist (which are not to be trifled with, in my estimation).

As to my general experience of Matchmaking in Halo 4 after coming to it very late (only picked the game up a few weeks ago), I'm loving Doubles but am horribly dismayed at how often the Infinity Doubles gametype gets picked. My initially positive assessment of this playlist has taken a heavy beating due to this. Fucking random incineration cannons / railguns for the losing team when we have 'map control'.

Fuck off.

The community-designed forge maps in Doubles are fantastically good though. I've even enjoyed the odd, super-intense 1v1 game on Scythe due to teammates quitting on both sides.

Felt like Halo

As far as 4v4 goes, Throwdown is a blast, even with randoms. Haven't played enough to see every map, but the maps I've seen so far are conducive to great gameplay.

I'd love to be able to drop the flag in CTF, but whatever.

Infinity settings are just as bad as I always thought they would be. Complex is a shitty, shitty map and fuck camo snipers. Fucking fuck them. Abandon is just horribly designed too. Leads to some very weird games.

Speaking in more general terms, in the little time I've been playing, I've come across some pretty annoying glitches / bugs etc. things like floating ordnance drops, grenades that sometimes randomly get stuck in geometry, weird little nooks and crannies that you can't escape from without a jetpack etc. (I watched one teammate get stuck on the front of one of the bases in Complex last night - as hard as he tried, he just could not for the life of him figure out how to get out. Lasted for about 2-3 minutes. I lol'd of course. He didn't.)

These little things (in addition to the myriad that were apparently fixed with the recent TU), which simply seem to reflect a lack of overall attention to detail in certain development phases, simply add to what is already at points a clusterfuck of random chaos in this game.

In summary, Throwdown is good. Doubles is great. But fuck Infinity gametypes. As I remember saying about a month before release, Infinity settings should be confined to their own playlist / roster and should not pollute the other playlists. If people want to play Fiesta all day and nothing else, fine, but to force these gametypes into playlists that would otherwise be perfectly competitive is a shitty move.

Ghazi

One thing that real irked me about not being able to drop the flag was when I was playing CTF on Adrift on Throwdown and I picked up the rockets at center and then, because I didn't want to give the enemies rockets if I screwed up and they're good for covering, I had to wait for my friend at their flag and defend it until he got there just because I couldn't switch to rocket launcher if I got attacked with the flag. Their reason for doing this was to make it a commitment? I didn't know many people in previous Halos to just randomly drop the flag and leave it. If anyone dropped a flag it was to defend themselves and then they would pick it up and continue. Now no one wants to pick up the flag because they'll be stuck with the flagnum and they're usually carrying better weapons.

LAME!

Madness

One thing that real irked me about not being able to drop the flag was when I was playing CTF on Adrift on Throwdown and I picked up the rockets at center and then, because I didn't want to give the enemies rockets if I screwed up and they're good for covering, I had to wait for my friend at their flag and defend it until he got there just because I couldn't switch to rocket launcher if I got attacked with the flag. Their reason for doing this was to make it a commitment? I didn't know many people in previous Halos to just randomly drop the flag and leave it. If anyone dropped a flag it was to defend themselves and then they would pick it up and continue. Now no one wants to pick up the flag because they'll be stuck with the flagnum and they're usually carrying better weapons.

LAME!

Second this. It's just a dumb mechanic and it was probably thought up by a moron who never played CTF in halo before. If I have a better weapon and am providing cover for my teammate and he goes down, why the hell do I automatically pick up the flag if I'm close enough? If they took out my teammate, what hope do I have if I can't drop the flag and am stuck with a magnum.

Computron

One game in, Skyline seems like a wonderful map, layout wise.
Although, as with any nighttime map, I think it would be improved if it were set during the day, or just lit brighter, with more contrast.

I think I got more kills with the scattershot in that one game alone than I have across my whole time in Halo 4.

Second this. It's just a dumb mechanic and it was probably thought up by a moron who never played CTF in halo before. If I have a better weapon and am providing cover for my teammate and he goes down, why the hell do I automatically pick up the flag if I'm close enough? If they took out my teammate, what hope do I have if I can't drop the flag and am stuck with a magnum.

It seems so obvious to us, but remember that the designers of Halo 4 have actually never played Halo before nor any other game with capture the flag.

blamite

Try to play a song on your xbox and to pause it. Works in Multiplayer, but don't know about Campaign.

In previous games playing your own music (plug in an mp3 player) would override the game's music during gameplay, but not the dialogue (not sure if this works for cutscenes, but you can try it). Just turn down the volume of the mp3 player via the guide button music menu.

Cool, I'll try that later tonight then. I'm just wondering because it would help for a stupid video I'm thinking about making.

Tawpgun

"I played Halo 4 to get the achievements now im gonna not play it"

"but if you need help with achievements ill get on"

"achievements"

FyreWulff

I still dont' have all of Reach's achievements. But that's mostly because I was waiting to do the FF ones legit and I was saving Monument To All Your Sins as the last one.

Korosenai

I had fun not boosting the last pack's achievements, so I'll be going for them alone again tonight! FFA suits this a lot better, too.
I've never boosted a Halo achievement, and I just got the Flash of Light achievement after only trying for about an hour.

Suck it haters.

Akai__

"I played Halo 4 to get the achievements now im gonna not play it"

"but if you need help with achievements ill get on"

"achievements"

I had really fun this morning. Got some nice overkills and ninjas, then I paused the stream and when I came back, everything was shitty.

Did the achievements and stopped playing. Want to help other people out. What is strange about that?

Tawpgun

buncha no good dirty slackers playing Halo instead of contributing to society and going to work.

This is Obama's Halo.

fuck midterm week

Madness

I've never boosted a Halo achievement, and I just got the Flash of Light achievement after only trying for about an hour.

Suck it haters.

Me neither. What I always do is also make a film clip of them legitimately happening so people can never doubt. For example, the splaser double kill in lone wolves from halo 3, I did it twice in two days after launch.

Same goes for the warthog fly one in halo 4. Otherwise what's the point if the achievement if you have to boost?

Karl2177

A few quick comments before I head to lunch. Knocked out about half of the achievements before lunch. It wasn't fun because it felt like grinding when it wasn't my playstyle. Maps themselves are pretty good. I really like Landfall. Skyline is pretty good. Monolith is alright. I'm sure I'll warm up to Monolith a bit more once I play team games on it. Also having a good dedicated FFA list is nice. Infinity settings are still butt, but now they are at least a little bit more tolerable on not-poop tier maps.

Plasma Starts, invisible ball carrier on Blood Gulch, infinite time.

Halo 1 BG OB was so much boss. Those settings remind me of Hog Wars: everyone Camo, can only run over and beatdown, Plasma starts. If killed, using a charged up PP shot to get the attention of the lurking Hog while you try to sneak back to your overtunned Hog. As the driver, I used to park my Hog near the enemy Hog and straighten out the Hog as if no one was in it, then an unsuspecting Camo guy would walk up and get roflstomped

So damn intense dodging enemy Hogs and also fun to spot the Camo guy. Camo blended in really well if you crouched, especially in that center bush by Rocket spawn lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can't you just get a sedation? I had to go last week because I had a cavity in my one of my tooth and they had to replace a filling too. Didn't feel a thing.

Well they numb my mouth with an injection, if that's what you mean. I just have never had one done before. I don't even have a cavity, just two cracks I've had forever that they are nervous about cavity potential for.

Plasma Starts, invisible ball carrier on Blood Gulch, infinite time.

Now I'm terrified of the dentist.

Homeboyd

Well they numb my mouth with an injection, if that's what you mean. I just have never had one done before. I don't even have a cavity, just two cracks I've had forever that they are nervous about cavity potential for.

Now I'm terrified of the dentist.
Sedation requires going under anesthesia, like you would for surgery. Not at all necessary for fillings. They don't hurt hardly at all (the injection is the only semi-pain related thing you'll experience). Feels like a pinch for 2 seconds and it's over.

Not bad at all. You don't need sedation or gen anesthesia for fillings. Now if you're having a root canal or getting your wisdom teeth pulled, different story.

Yeah, meant the injection :p

Once you get it, you shouldn't feel anything. With me, they just smeared some kind of filling on my tooth, hardened it with a lamp and then made sure it fitted in nicely. I was done after 15 minutes. The worst thing about it was the dentist's horrible breath.

The new maps are better than the last DLC, whoever Landfall have a camping room like Swordbase, Monolith is good but the best of the pack is Skyfall, I love running across the maps pretty easy and use most of the layers of the map to hide and seek.

Monolith's solid, but fuck whoever camps above that one cross map lift.

The Man cannon platforms? its a nightmare when someone pick up the Rocket launcher and use them all the time in objetives.

Top Bottom