• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Reach and 4 are tied for maps. At least more than half the maps in Reach were actually designed, which is more than you can say for Complex or the BTB maps.

What do you mean with that? (Genuine doubt)

In Launch, Halo Reach had 13 maps of which, 5 were made in Forge.

All the maps (except Forge World) had dual purpose, campaign and multiplayer.
Remember Spire and Boneyard? Both had a lot of unused space...

Edit:
Reach had 13 if you count the 5 Forge maps.

Math fail. Hahaha, I actually did the sum (8+5=11). It make me laugh. I really should go to sleep. Thanks for the correction.

(I just hope I'm way more awake during my math examen in wednesday...)

What do you mean with that? (Genuine doubt)

In Launch, Halo Reach had 11 maps of which, 5 were made in Forge.

Reach had 13 if you count the 5 Forge maps.

Nebula

buy the dlc, it isn't like crimson.

skyline is the best map in the game.

xclicked review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfI5T72Hio

heckfu beard

I'm not sinking anymore money into this franchise. 343 don't deserve it.

I think I'm done with the 360. I can't enjoy anything but Minecraft on it, and the PC counterpart is leagues ahead in both updates and community creations. Nothing is holding me to this console anymore. I think I will be going to PS4 and PC gaming when next gen is released.

I think I might do a huge write up of all the things I think are wrong with Halo 4, and how I would fix them. I just need to get the rage out of my head I think.

Some complain about halo being outdated so 343 makes it more modern, then halogaf complains about it being too modern.

Innovation =/= Copying elements from other titles

We're asking 343 to do what they want with Halo, not what consumers think they want.

I saw a lot of confidence from 343 with the campaign. It was refreshing and they took it in a new direction. I can't say the same for the multiplayer. It's very obvious that they went the safe route by implementing features that others loved for other titles, but not Halo. They need to be confident that they themselves can bring a new multiplayer experience, or we're just going to keep seeing Halo take the backseat and wait for what other developers come up with.

Nebula

Innovation =/= Copying elements from other titles

We're asking 343 to do what they want with Halo, not what consumers think they want.

I saw a lot of confidence from 343 with the campaign. It was refreshing and they took it in a new direction. I can't say the same for the multiplayer. It's very obvious that they went the safe route by implementing features that others loved for other titles, but not Halo. They need to be confident that they themselves can bring a new multiplayer experience, or we're just going to keep seeing Halo take the backseat and wait for what other developers come up with.

Shoehorning is the worst thing any developer can do. Look at Call of Duty. They didn't just shove Halo's theater in there and call it a day. They spent some time altering it and expanding upon it to make it a good feature for Call of Duty. I know this isn't a gameplay feature but it is a feature. If anyone new to gaming saw Halo 4's theater and then CoDs, they would most likely say CoD was the game that first had theater as it is more developed.

TheOddOne

Complaining? Well yeah, because we expect better from Halo. Much Better. Being complacent at something that needs to excell above other games really doesn't send a good message.

Talents

Banned
Ive been viewing halogaf threads since before halo reach came out, you guys don't like anything, all you do is complain. Some complain about halo being outdated so 343 makes it more modern, then halogaf complains about it being too modern. I hope 343 people don't come in here looking for feeback, because no matter the changes, nothing will make you happy.

I'd be happy if they just:
Made 2 "classic" gametypes in matchmaking. One for slayer, one for objective.
Added a visual TruSkill system.
Added smaller maps for the classic playlists.

So much to ask for I know, it's almost like asking them to change the whole game engine and coding.

Havok

Two matches in: Maps seem good, Infinity settings still terrible. No shock there, but it's astounding how chaotic it makes even good maps play.

I've been doing the Team DLC list, but maybe FFA in hopes of Rumble Pro would work better.

Skyline Infinity Rumble: ARs, Suppressors, Storm Rifles, Shotguns, SAWs everywhere.

Will have to play some team games tomorrow, off to sleep for me.

Akai__

FFA is really fun on those maps, except for Infinity crap. Nearly got a Running Riot, but somebody had to stuck me. Also got an Overkill in the same game. :)

Havok

Spawns on Skyline FFA, at least for Infinity Rumble, seem horrible. Multiple times I'd kill a guy and have him spawn right in front of me, usually when I was around the bases. I like the layout a lot, but that might be problematic if it propagates to team play.

Striker

Many had untouched areas, namely Zealot, Countdown (Sabre mission), Boardwalk, and Reflection were all either levels you just ran through or fought for maybe 30 seconds. They were MP maps built into the campaign, not the other way around; the Firefight maps were similar, but used more appropriately I think. Was it a mistake? I suppose, but Bungie have been very hit or miss in Halo 3 and Reach either way.

Reach and 4 are tied for maps. At least more than half the maps in Reach were actually designed, which is more than you can say for Complex or the BTB maps.
Most of Halo 4's "BTB" maps are just midsize maps primarily used for 5v5. Exile and Ragnarok are better in the 5v5/6v6 range and Longbow and Vortex are Dominion-focused (as evidenced by where their flag placements are in CTF). I would say Meltdown is the true BTB map in this game as its bases are properly utilized for a flag. It's still not very good, but is passable (like Rat's Nest). Longbow would be better under older settings but with better flag placement.

Well, these achievements are pretty bad. ''Get 5 kills while in Promethean Vision'' and ''Get 5 kills while in Active Camo''. Uuhhhg. At least the maps seem good.

Edit: The Rockets on Monolith respwan waaaaay to fast. Rockets should be 3 minutes at least.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Well, these achievements are pretty bad. ''Get 5 kills while in Promethean Vision'' and ''Get 5 kills while in Active Camo''. Uuhhh. At least the maps seem good.

I agree, melee killing someone after using thruster packs is ridiculous, and killing two people with a pulse grenade?

Omni

I apologise to everyone that I play with tonight. Trying to get these achievements means that I have to play like a complete dickhead - which includes going rather negative and just throwing myself at the enemy.

I've got the thrusters one, active camo and the Promethean vision ones now. Now to do the SAW.

Omni

After a single match with the grenadier tactical package equipped, I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to get a double kill with the Promethean grenades legitimately.

The zoom achievement is just.... egh. If there were snipers on the maps it would be a lot easier.

Havok

Rumble Pro is supposed to have radar.
Rumble Pro is another brand new mode that offers an FFA experience based on the Doubles Pro settings. Here are the details below:

Mode - Rumble Pro
Players - 8
Score to Win - 250 (25 Kills)
Loadouts - Game Loadouts (see below)
Instant Respawn - Disabled
Death Cam - Disabled
Motion Tracker - Enabled
Personal Ordnance - Disabled
Ordnance Drops - Enabled
Time Limit- 12 Minutes

Rumble Pro in Majestic FFA DLC does not have radar enabled.

FFA is kind of a mess without radar on maps as small as Skyline.

Nowise10

Landfall is way too big for FFA. I spent the majority of the match I just played running around looking for people.

I just got done (winning) a match on FFA Landfall, I thought I was seeing enemies pretty quick.

Two skiddies were boosting, and my god were they terrible.

Woorloog

Banned
343 was so foolish to include jetpack and camo as AAs after they were unbalanced and universally hated in reach.

And statistically among the most used, no?
The Grenade Launcher was removed because it was statistically underused. Or something like that.

I still think Jet Pack should have been vertical Thruster pack, essentially double jump.

abadguy

Banned
Haven is really good. Solace is alright.

The forge maps in dubs and throwdown are really good.

That's about it. I can TOLERATE abandon and adrift. But i'd rank maps like boardwalk, zealot, countdown, powerhouse and yes, even the cage above them.

Adrift is a pretty good map, i thought i would hate it when i first saw it demoed the first time but it ended up being one of the better maps.( on the flip Complex was a map i thought i would love, but ended up being one of my least favorites.) Abandon is not horrible, not great either not as bad as countdown. Not even the worst Halo 4 map( Solace IMO) is worst than Countdown. That map was a monumental piece of shit. Haven i would definitely put up there with the best Halo 3 maps.

IHaveIce

Banned
And statistically among the most used, no?
The Grenade Launcher was removed because it was statistically underused. Or something like that.

I still think Jet Pack should have been vertical Thruster pack, essentially double jump.

Dumb AAs which can be easily abused were used often, weapons which require a good portion of skill not.

Who would have thought.

I really want to try the maps, but I don't want to play infinity on them :( Aren't they in doubles or Throwdown already?

Omni

Well after playing the maps for a little bit... I'd rate them a 5/10. At best.

Don't get me wrong, they're very good maps... but it's the gameplay that screws everything up. Infinity: anything is a complete clusterfuck and there's no cohesion at all. Add that to the terrible, terrible achievements which rewards the player for using active camo, Promethean vision and camping with the SAW, and you get a map pack that doesn't interest me at all.

Rumble Pro is supposed to have radar.

Rumble Pro in Majestic FFA DLC does not have radar enabled.

FFA is kind of a mess without radar on maps as small as Skyline.

Even MLG had radar enabled for their FFA gametypes. As long as the map and weapons on the map are not conducive to camping there should always be radar in FFA.

I apologise to everyone that I play with tonight. Trying to get these achievements means that I have to play like a complete dickhead - which includes going rather negative and just throwing myself at the enemy.

I've got the thrusters one, active camo and the Promethean vision ones now. Now to do the SAW.

Bought the 800 points yesterday for the maps, will download either tonight or tomorrow. It's a shame they put these appalling 'achievements' in; instead of allowing playstyles to evolve organically over time in the new maps players are incentivised to behave and play in a really artificial, awkwardly forced manner. Achievements really ought to be '1000 kills on Skyline' etc.

Just watched Sud2 get a KILLTACular on stream live. SuD DomInatIon

Well after playing the maps for a little bit... I'd rate them a 5/10. At best.

Don't get me wrong, they're very good maps... but it's the gameplay that screws everything up. Infinity: anything is a complete clusterfuck and there's no cohesion at all. Add that to the terrible, terrible achievements which rewards the player for using active camo, Promethean vision and camping with the SAW, and you get a map pack that doesn't interest me at all.

If its purely gameplay related, is that fair on the map at all? I think any of these maps would be great for swat, throwdown or most non-infinity gametypes.

Fuchsdh

People going for achievements sure make this game fun. PV and camo users everywhere.
That's because PV is very useful in general. Not sure why they added an achievement related to one of the most useful AAs (albeit prolly after you've already turned it off.)

I was going to say the same thing. Everybody has already beaten the gameplay horse to death.

Exactly. The maps themselves are really quite fun. Skyline has some amazing jumps and sightlines. Landfall is filled with nice encounter spaces and Monolith is pretty cool too.

Top Bottom