• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Holiday

Banned
I played a few games of FFA on the new things, good impression on the maps overall. Landfall is nice, Skyline is pretty okay, Monolith is a nightmare (mostly because it exacerbates the hatefulness of sprint). Infinity FFA is bad though, make it all pro, all day, every day.

The Headless Spartan
retribution_by_skcrisis-d5w8jc4.gif

Computron

Ooooh I see what's happening. In the context of Reach, I was thinking TAA as the temporal supersampling that Reach uses. You were thinking TAA as antialiasing temporal rather than spatial artifacts. And when you throw both at the same discussion...

...Now I feel weird, because I've lectured people before on how calling motion blur "temporal anti-aliasing" is entirely valid.

Well... mostly.

I meant it in the context of how some people were saying that the trade-off of adding FXAA at the cost of Motion Blur was a good move for Halo 4 because it meant 'we would finally get some decent AA.'

To which I would try and explain that we are, in actuality, losing one of two forms of AA in exchange for just one (Arguably better) AA.

So, in the case of going from Halo Reach to Halo 4 (assuming the reason for motion blur's absence was the addition of FXAA + perhaps some other minor post-process effects) we are exchanging two things for one;

In Reach we had motion-blur (which, again, is also technically a form of Temporal AA) and the Temporal-SuperSample TAA (Which I think worked very well in tandem with motion blur, which is why I was, perhaps confusingly, talking about both kinds of temporal AA in the same discussion/sentence) which was exchanged for just FXAA alone in Halo 4.

I mean, this hinges on the assumption that that was this was the tradeoff that had occurred, but I think its a reasonable assumption.

Also, the smoothness of Halo Reach and Halo 3 from their motion blur actually jump out at me.
I play Halo 3 often (and occasionally go back to Reach) and I always appreciate its presence.
(As well as Reach's stellar Still-shot AA)

I do share your sentiment about the validity of 'calling motion blur "temporal anti-aliasing."'
When I first thought about it in that context, it was actually kind of mind-blowing.

Most people don't make that connection. Generally, it seems those people also have a distaste for Motion Blur entirely.
(Perhaps this is because of the many bad implementations that they may have experienced?)

Just as an aside, Tupolev, I assume from your name that you are Russian as well? :)

Madness

Was kinda dodgy for me earlier. Thought it was just because I was connected to my uni's wifi (it cuts out sometimes for some reason).

Okay... I need to know what the hell this gif is about

The gif is from a video that was titled 'woman abuse' or something and for a long time people believed the bf hit his girlfriend. But it turns out that the woman is some actor/stunt woman or something and she is quite adept at taking/faking punches etc. I saw her other video with the same guy.

Im gonna guess Destiny does have ADS, but I bet its not has inhibiting to player movement as it is in other games. Also, Im willing to bet that guns with traditional scopes will behave more similar to Halo as opposed to ADS.

Dirtbag

Maps are good, but god damn Infinity settings eat my ass.

Pretty much the main reason I'll never buy a mappack for this game. Don't really want to be stuck playing their main vision for this game, no matter how great the maps look. The occasional appearance in doubles just ain't worth it. Going from Throwdown / Doubles Pro to anything with infinity like settings is shocking.

You know what I just realized? They say Infinity Rumble and Rumble Pro are new game types. I guess they are... but they say "brand new" as if you couldn't have made them already... but you could. They are variants of slayer. Cool you finally made a playlist out of something that's been there since Halo 2. Back to circle-jerking.

Omni

Just saw one of the 'scripted deaths' in Tomb Raider... Holy shit. Out of nowhere, the game looks pretty damn awesome. I'm seriously considering getting it next week when it comes out. :eek:

heckfu

Banned
Good games everyone tonight! Had a really good night with Ram, Nutter, Biggy, Trasher, Lybertyboy, Stinkles, Sai, Karl, Zero, Barrow, Exwife, Omlet, Juices, u4ix, moa, yuhas and everyone fucking else. Such a solid night of gaming.

Am i the only one who is sick of ADS and current Modern shooters (CoD, BF, etc.)?
BF is a good example of a shooter that has ADS that does not inhibit the sandboxy elements of the game.
Good games everyone tonight! Had a really good night with Ram, Nutter, Biggy, Trasher, Lybertyboy, Stinkles, Sai, Karl, Zero, Barrow, Exwife, Omlet, Juices, u4ix, moa, yuhas and everyone fucking else. Such a solid night of gaming.

Nice edit.

Is it over? Where's late night HaloGAF?

Karl2177

"everyone fucking else"... Well, that would describe what Tawpgun was doing

Madness

Except they didn't Unveil anything. just another corporate who wants your money, using BS answers to justify why they didnt show a console

Is the plastic outside of a console really that important? I mean the dev kits are supposedly just pc towers.

You got the specs, you got the new controller and saw a few games.

Just curious? I mean the wii u was treated the same way. It was just a simple white box that was hidden away.

Unlike a phone which is now a fashion accessory, the console is treated like a piece of home entertainment equipment, no different than a blu-ray player or receiver.

Don't get me wrong, I'd liked to have seen the final build, but it's not important enough to get upset or complain like the folks are doing in the threads.

Oh thats pretty cool Monolithe starts with a animation for the floating thing in the middle of the map, it starts as a solid inverted pyramid, it spins around, stuff comes out and it bursts into a light thing.

Does anything interesting happen on the other skyboxes. The hornet on skyline is cool. What about landfall? anything to watch out for (except the whole general skybox lol?)

One of the maps now officially features the 'song of Andy'.

I will explain this tonight.

There was a crazy amount of HaloGaf on last night. Ended up just playing with my Irish bros because other parties were getting too big. So many different groups. Would have been great to get randomly matched up.

Nebula

Have to give 343 props for bringing in some FFA again. Halo 4 has been without it for too long since the last real FFA playlist, Throwback FFA. The maps seem to be playing ok, but once again the usual suspects are taking there toll on me. Boltshot in FFA is a secondary everyone has equipped, and you see it countless times a game, and it just gets boring. Another issue is the return of the sprint double pummel combo that ran rampant in Reach. Thanks to no radar, a lot of people can get away with doing this tactic, and it sucks. I personally don't think FFA has ever been good with no radar.

Overall though, I enjoyed myself for the majority of the games I played, and had a lot of fun on the maps. I said earlier in the thread I would not be buying them, and I have yet to do so. I got to play them thanks to my brother.

I would honestly recommend purchasing them, and I will be when I get the money. Good job 343.

EDIT: Does HaloGAF have an xbox account we can all add and find each other through?

heckfu

Banned
I'm not sinking anymore money into this franchise. 343 don't deserve it.

I think I'm done with the 360. I can't enjoy anything but Minecraft on it, and the PC counterpart is leagues ahead in both updates and community creations. Nothing is holding me to this console anymore. I think I will be going to PS4 and PC gaming when next gen is released.

I think I might do a huge write up of all the things I think are wrong with Halo 4, and how I would fix them. I just need to get the rage out of my head I think.

Have to give 343 props for bringing in some FFA again. Halo 4 has been without it for too long since the last real FFA playlist, Throwback FFA. The maps seem to be playing ok, but once again the usual suspects are taking there toll on me. Boltshot in FFA is a secondary everyone has equipped, and you see it countless times a game, and it just gets boring. Another issue is the return of the sprint double pummel combo that ran rampant in Reach. Thanks to no radar, a lot of people can get away with doing this tactic, and it sucks. I personally don't think FFA has ever been good with no radar.

Overall though, I enjoyed myself for the majority of the games I played, and had a lot of fun on the maps. I said earlier in the thread I would not be buying them, and I have yet to do so. I got to play them thanks to my brother.

I would honestly recommend purchasing them, and I will be when I get the money. Good job 343.

EDIT: Does HaloGAF have an xbox account we can all add and find each other through?

That was a quick change of heart.

Nebula

That was a quick change of heart.

Given the last map pack being pretty bad, and the TU being incredibly underwhelming, I would say it was fair to say I wouldn't be putting any more money into Halo. However, there is no denying that these maps are tiers above what we have seen from 343/Certain Affinity so far, and that they deserve credit for it.

Hopefully it lets them know that this is what they should be making in the future.

EDIT: Also we got more FFA. FFA is the shit.

IHaveIce

Banned
The maps are really good, eventhough Infninity is still shit.

But I have to play some other stuff :( I mean look at this backlog:

DmC
Alan Wake
LA Noire
Witcher 2
Bioshock 1+ 2
Metal Gear Rising

Top Bottom