• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fuchsdh

Surprised I didn't get matched up with more GAFfers last night. Trueskill must have been working.

Jumping ahead, do we know anything about the actual focus of the Caatle Map Pack or is it just concept art and description?

Madness

Play Bioshock 1 and 2 NOW.

Lol I bought bioshock at launch and it's the only game I started yet still have to beat. If you look at my achievements, I played it for a few days at a time and then never touched it for a whole year. Don't know why I never beat it, I was really into it as I played.

That's why I'm not really interested in anything except GTA V and Destiny before the next launch. I know I can get the games I have yet to play/buy for dirt cheap and enjoy my 360. I have Arkham City and Red Dead Redemption still waiting and supposedly those are some of the finest games made this gen.

Omni

Surprised I didn't get matched up with more GAFfers last night. Trueskill must have been working.

Jumping ahead, do we know anything about the actual focus of the Caatle Map Pack or is it just concept art and description?

Just concept art. Doubt we'll hear something for at least a month

Madness

Judging by how highly rated Majestic is, we'll probably see more of these sized maps and great skyboxes. Here's hoping for a doubles pro variant team slayer pro to launch alongside the CSR ranks. Have it be classic halo, no personal ordnance either. Supposedly weapon fine tuning as well.

IHaveIce

Banned
Play Bioshock 1 and 2 NOW.

I know I know :( the only thing keeping me from playing them is that I have them for PS3, I really dislike playing shooters with the dualshock controller.

Saw that Bioshock got also a price cut today on the xbl market, maybe I have to doubledip to be motivated :x

Gui_PT

While the new maps are really nice, the settings are just awful.

Way too many power weapons that spawn way too quickly. This was pretty obvious right on the first match I played. How did no one at 343 realize this?

Omni

While the new maps are really nice, the settings are just awful.

Way too many power weapons that spawn way too quickly. This was pretty obvious right on the first match I played. How did no one at 343 realize this?

It was probably by design.

Wow, friends and I played some custom matches on the new maps last night. No ordnance with a BR loadout. It had Halo 3 vibes, it was fantastic.

343, you are so fucking close. Change these settings.

Wow, friends and I played some custom matches on the new maps last night. No ordnance with a BR loadout. It had Halo 3 vibes, it was fantastic.

To echo this:

I played games of Team Throwdown with a full team last night.
It doesn't matter that I was terrible, it was far closer to Halo that any of the Infinity bullshit that 343 have made the made mode of the competitive multiplayer suite in Halo 4.

I find it hard to judge the quality of the new maps because all we played was almost all hectic bs.

I'm so sick of Infinity anything.
Team Throwdown was highly enjoyable in comparision.

IHaveIce

Banned

Yep right now the only thing standing between Halo 4 and a good Halo game are the settings.

Forget Infinity, forget Loudouts, forget random ordnance.

JiP is a thing that I'm not surfe of, there really has to be a penalty for quitting and more time for leaving the lobby after the game without JIP.

I've seen the idea thrown around here a couple times, but I think what might be the best approach going forward would be to keep anything that has global and personal ordnance, and custom loadouts in playlists with the "infinity" tag, while making the other "Team *" playlists be standard loadouts with timed power weapon spawns. That way the infinity gametypes basically become "fiesta" type playlists.

Trey

I've seen the idea thrown around here a couple times, but I think what might be the best approach going forward would be to keep anything that has global and personal ordnance, and custom loadouts in playlists with the "infinity" tag, while making the other "Team *" playlists be standard loadouts with timed power weapon spawns. That way the infinity gametypes basically become "fiesta" type playlists.

Many have been saying this since launch. Others just don't want AAs, Infinity settings and Ordnances in the game at all.

Many have been saying this since launch. Others just don't want AAs, Infinity settings and Ordnances in the game at all.

I think that may be a hard sell to the upper management, regardless how much I'd prefer it.

I'd personally like to see a more creative direction to AAs in Halo 5. Make them be things that supplement the sandbox rather than interfere with it's core components. Alternatively, keep their power where they are and make them pickups which are scarce and teams have to fight over.

Fuchsdh

I think that may be a hard sell to the upper management, regardless how much I'd prefer it.

I'd personally like to see a more creative direction to AAs in Halo 5. Make them be things that supplement the sandbox rather than interfere with it's core components. Alternatively, keep their power where they are and make them pickups which are scarce and teams have to fight over.

I think their use in Throwdown as ordnance is a good use.

I still think things like camo can be balanced to discourage camping, but it might be an issue of where you adjust it to the point where it's not fun to use (such as the comparison of CEA multi camo power up versus the Reach AA.)

Blueblur1

I'm onboard with making the Infinity Slayer and Infinity Big Team the only places where Infinity game types appear. It's starting to get confusing with all the different game types some hoppers have. I hope they reduce the number of hoppers, too. There's no real reason for CTF and Dominion to still have their own playlists when they could easily be combined into Team Objective and Infinity Big Team respectively.

Fuchsdh

I'm onboard with making the Infinity Slayer and Infinity Big Team the only places where Infinity game types appear. It's starting to get confusing with all the different game types some hoppers have. I hope they reduce the number of hoppers, too. There's no real reason for CTF and Dominion to still have their own playlists when they could easily be combined into Team Objective and Infinity Big Team respectively.

Ill agree about confusing, but it's still loads better than the TU was. I'd just drop the "Pro" label and have everything either be Infinity or "Y"--no title or whatever.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I was always fine with this. I actually like Infinity gameplay, but I agree it should be one or two playlists at most.

willow ve

New maps + better settings has me excited to head home and play Halo. This is the first time that has happened for me in Halo 4. We all knew there was a good game buried in there somewhere. I'm thankful we're finding it.

Toa TAK

Banned
New maps + better settings has me excited to head home and play Halo. This is the first time that has happened for me in Halo 4. We all knew there was a good game buried in there somewhere. I'm thankful we're finding it.

Agreed. They did a great job with this map pack.

Will CA do the next one?

New maps are the best in this game. Certain Affinity have been mostly redeemed, though I'm still upset at the forge issues they created.

I like how there's a playlists for CTF tbh, it's my favorite gametype and I rather not sit through Oddball and KOTH matches to play it. I don't see Dominion moving though (it would fit well in Team Objective). Infinity should stay in Infinity Slayer and BTB like it originally was, or at least make the personal ordnance similar to what AGL does.

I know I know :( the only thing keeping me from playing them is that I have them for PS3, I really dislike playing shooters with the dualshock controller.

Saw that Bioshock got also a price cut today on the xbl market, maybe I have to doubledip to be motivated :x

Bioshock is fantastic, well worth playing through. I played through it a year or two ago for the first time and I really really enjoyed it. I couldn't get into Bioshock 2 though I am really excited for Infinite.

Bring back Flagstravaganza! Multiflag, One Flag, Three Flag, Speed Flag, etc. So good. Do not take the dedicated CTF playlist away, just fix it up! Its the best mode in Halo for sure. Completely agree on Infinity being its own playlist only. Its clear a lot of people like the settings, but they are seriously way too Fiesta-ey for the regular playlists. I'm all for Infinity's return in Halo 5, so long as they take the time to make it its own class-based bans multiplayer mode. Keep it out of 'classic' Halo, though. Please and thank you, 343.

What are some good cheap wireless headphones for Xbox?

Doesn't exists. If you want quality wireless headphones, you're going to have to spend money. I would just stick to either Turtle Beach, Tritton, or Astro. They all have wireless headphones for sale.

Protip: With Bing Rewards, Amazon is quick and free ;)

Bing rewards take up to 24 hours to arrive though.

Doesn't exists. If you want quality wireless headphones, you're going to have to spend money. I would just stick to either Turtle Beach, Tritton, or Astro. They all have wireless headphones for sale.

They definitely aren't cheap though. For me they were worth the investment though since I almost exclusively play with the TV muted.

I just redeem Microsoft points off Bing Rewards, is it more cost efficient to get Amazon codes from it? How many points is it for $5?

Assuming the account you're purchasing with has Gold status, you can spend 475 credits for either 400MS pts or $5 Amazon. Amazon sells 400 pt increments @ $4.99. So for every 400 pts you have a penny left over. I just get Amazon everytime and then buy whatever I want/need, doesn't even have to be MS pts.

Also, there is a limit on how many MS pts you can redeem your credits for for each account, so this also has the advantage of getting around that.

Bing rewards take up to 24 hours to arrive though.

I was implying that one use Amazon credit redeemed through Bing Rewards. It doesn't have to be redeemed same day. Amazon credits never expire.

Assuming the account you're purchasing with has Gold status, you can spend 475 credits for either 400MS pts or $5 Amazon. Amazon sells 400 pt increments @ $4.99. So for every 400 pts you have a penny left over. I just get Amazon everytime and then buy whatever I want/need, doesn't even have to be MS pts.

Also, there is a limit on how many MS pts you can redeem your credits for for each account, so this also has the advantage of getting around that.

I was implying that one use Amazon credit redeemed through Bing Rewards. It doesn't have to be redeemed same day. Amazon credits never expire.

Oh right. I thought you were implying redeeming the bing rewards points for credits today.

Limit must be pretty high because I've used Bing Rewards pretty much since its inception and that's all I redeem. It hasn't told me of a limit yet.

Top Bottom