• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Havok

What do you guys think of the newest DLC so far? I won't be able to play until tonight, but I'm curious.

These maps kind of snuck up on us, to be honest. We didn't hear anything about them then there's a live stream yesterday and now they're out today so I haven't seen or heard enough from them to gauge my opinion yet.
They're good but the experience is marred by the gametypes we have, or at least the ones they're presenting. Infinity TS or Rumble tend to be voted in pretty heavily in my experience (and their weighting seems really high as opposed to any of the objective gametypes), so you don't really get to see a lot of the flow the maps have normally. The few times I've seen objectives have been pretty nice (King on Monolith is one of the more interesting ones), and once they get into Throwdown I think they'll really shine. I haven't tried anything but Majestic playlists today, so I don't know how often they show up in the others.

I'd love to play 1 Flag on Landfall, but it doesn't exist.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
vyO5FIs.png

Why does this keep happening!??!

Well, do you?

They're good but the experience is marred by the gametypes we have. Infinity TS or Rumble tend to be voted in pretty heavily in my experience (and their weighting seems really high as opposed to any of the objective gametypes), so you don't really get to see a lot of the flow the maps have normally. The few times I've seen objectives have been pretty nice (King on Monolith is one of the more interesting ones), and once they get into Throwdown I think they'll really shine. I haven't tried anything but Majestic playlists today, so I don't know how often they show up in the others.

I'd love to play 1 Flag on Landfall, but it doesn't exist.

Yeah I can see Team Objective and Team Throwdown being the places where they shine the most.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wasn't too bad, eh?

Was extremely uncomfortable, but didn't hurt. They found out part way in that they needed to rebuild my top tooth. Both were due to cracks I've had forever and not cavities.

I've had bone marrow out with only local anesthetic with one of these

YUYU_1_250x250.jpg

and I still think the dentist is more uncomfortable. Here let me drown you while running power tools in your mouth, but watch your tongue or it will be shredded! :p

So just played my first game of team throwdown
KOTH on Lockout

+Reduced loadouts make the game better
+Lockout is infinitly better than any Halo 4 map
+Static weapon spawns are best weapon spawns

-Forged Lockout is horrible its got hardly any of the jumps/drops
-Should be BR starts only we learnt this back with Halo 2
-AA's still muddy the gameplay. Negatives out weight the positives
-Sprint

Havok

Yeah I can see Team Objective and Team Throwdown being the places where they shine the most.
For whatever reason, Team Objective doesn't have a single one of the new maps integrated at launch. I can't really see why, considering that in the Majestic Team DLC playlist, King and Regicide are on Monolith while Extraction (which needs to be in TO anyway) is on Landfall. Plus, King would work just fine on Landfall and Oddball might work on Skyline. It's just weird.

TCKaos

I've been exploring SpOps for the last few days because I can't seem to keep a 4v4 in Throwdown and don't feel like playing anything else. I'm just looking for ways to make the encounters as interesting as possible. I'm kind of saddened that Elites can see you while using Active Camo. With Wetworks. On easy. It makes sneaking the first encounter of EP6 CH3 impossible - not in the "this is really difficult!" sense but in the sense that it actually honestly isn't possible. Crouching, with AC, with Wetworks, from behind still sets them off at which point they turn around and stare at you. They won't shoot you, but they'll watch you.

This occurs even on easy.

On a more positive note I managed to get my Banshee hijacked by a General while fighting two Hunters in the final encounter in that chapter, and that was actually pretty cool.

Enfinit

vyO5FIs.png

Why does this keep happening!??!

I heard KSI has the best military-based class system and organization out of any clan in gaming. With thousands of members worldwide and across every game and platform, not joining this group would be a questionable decision! It's the offer of a lifetime!

I don't enjoy Halo 4 MP much, and don't play it very much anymore, but I spent the afternoon playing and had quite a bit of fun*. These are better than any other maps in the base or Crimson packs.

*Fun increased significantly once Tawpgun left, cause you know, Tawpgun.

Also, the weapons on the map are timed ordnances, not the global random locations.

matthieuC

What do you guys think of the newest DLC so far? I won't be able to play until tonight, but I'm curious.

These maps kind of snuck up on us, to be honest. We didn't hear anything about them then there's a live stream yesterday and now they're out today so I haven't seen or heard enough from them to gauge my opinion yet.
Landfall is pretty good, but it has a little too much jumping rather than traditional ramps.

Monolith is pretty solid except it is super easy to camp the man cannon area, especially with a beam rifle.

While I haven't played much of Skyline, I feel like it would play amazingly without sprint and ordnance. It feels cramped and crazy at the moment. It could be so damn good, but the settings ruin the experience.

I don't enjoy Halo 4 MP much, and don't play it very much anymore, but I spent the afternoon playing and had quite a bit of fun*. These are better than any other maps in the base or Crimson packs.

*Fun increased significantly once Tawpgun left, cause you know, Tawpgun.

Also, the weapons on the map are timed ordnances, not the global random locations.

Seeing the Concussion Rifle spawn on Landfall brought a smile to my face.

They should put an Incineration Cannon or something with one spare clip that spawns every 4 mins floating above top middle of Monolith along the man cannon path. Might be cool.

GT Review of Tomb Raider for those interested; it looks fun.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm headed in in an hour or so. Forgot to DL them this morning, so may the Comcast gods smile upon me. At peak hours. :-(

HTupolev

[*]It’s a darkly-lit, cramped space-boulder that's saturated with team-colored flood lighting and dashed with thin-bright forerunner light strips -- Which, by the way, are not only distractingly aliasing at most distances, but they also flicker a lot due to the way the low-res bloom postprocess works. For me, it’s rather distracting.
This confuses me about plenty of areas in Halo 4. They decide to go with a post-process AA technique... and then designed their visuals to use a whole bunch of stuff that post-process AA is absolutely worthless against (and in some cases seems to actually exacerbate). But then with all the nonsensical screen-space godrays dancing about your screen all the time, when you finally come across those bloom-laden aliasing thin lines, it winds up seeming par for the Halo 4 course; yep, more bright hazy splotches dancing chaotically across my television!

It's almost sort of funny that Reach is the game that went with a supersampling-esque technique that could actually deal with this stuff, when it probably needs it less than any other 360 Halo. Not that cheap TAA implimentations would help with the shimmering that occurs in motion, anyway.

JackHerer

All of the new maps are pretty solid. I'm really happy they went with timed ordinances instead of random drops.

Skyline might actually be my least favorite of the three because it is just too small with these settings. Especially on infinity where you have the jetpack and instant respawn. It's a little too hectic IMO. Should be a lot better in Team Throwdown though with no AAs and instant respawn disabled.

Landfall sorta reminds me of Turf. I absolutely love the aesthetic of Monolith. It looks great imo.

Since I had attempted to download the map pack when it popped up last week, I already had it 99% downloaded and it finished in seconds.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I really like the new maps- only disappointment is they haven't popped up in Doubles for me yet. Skyline will be great.

I'm out of the loop- anything other than speculation on what this future primary weapon balancing I'm hearing about will include? Fingers crossed my DMR kill-time doesn't get nerfed.

JHall

Reminds me of the time I got a no-scope double kill on the Suds while they were live streaming the anniversary map pack in Reach.

If you remove flinch/not being knocked out of scope you can relive the glory days of being pinged out yet still hitting those clutch quick/no scopes across the map. ;)

I don't know what's happened, but I have had some terrible games the last couple of days. I don't know if it's the switching between doubles/throwdown settings and inifinity settings or what but I can barely break even.

I don't know what's happened, but I have had some terrible games the last couple of days. I don't know if it's the switching between doubles/throwdown settings and inifinity settings or what but I can barely break even.

I know what you mean. These maps need to be in doubles and throwdown as soon as possible.

Top Bottom