• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

The incineration canons on Solace last night... That is another weapon I don't get. It requires even less skill than rockets.

Why?

kevinfranklin.jpg

Striker

Team Throwdown > MLG Reach >>>>>>>>>> Halo Reach > Halo 4 Infinity
Still not a fan of most of the maps in Throwdown. Add in the gametype changes MLG had for Reach and the combo of Zealot/Sanctuary and yeah, I'd easily put it above what's available as of right now in Throwdown. Even going back to Halo 3, it comes down to community playlists like MLG or Throwdown to make the games enjoyable and removing (at least for the most part) the BS.

You aren't removing sprint from Halo ever again. I won't let you. I refuse to stroll around maps like I'm a Spartan at the grocery store.

Sprint in halo 4 is terrible primarily because there is a delay between sprinting and shooting - its so stupid that you have to sprint to make ground on these huge ass maps but are at a disadvantage if you see someone.

I would vote for smaller maps, no sprint but a decent movement speed.

Sprint in halo 4 is terrible primarily because there is a delay between sprinting and shooting - its so stupid that you have to sprint to make ground on these huge ass maps but are at a disadvantage if you see someone.

You have melee button for something...

willow ve

The delay is very frustrating. Was there a delay in Reach? I forget, and I sold it.

Fuchsdh

Then don't sprint. You trade speed for combat readiness. That's the whole point.

Just throwing it out there: I'd be fine with a gametype suite like this. To clarify, the "standard" variant is BR/Carbine/Light Rifle starts, while the "Pro" variant is BRs only. Or maybe DMRs only, that'd be interesting. Slayer is a weird exception.

Primary Gametypes

Slayer
-Team Slayer, Waypoint Slayer, Infinity Slayer
Team Slayer is the "Pro" variant that has either all BR starts or all DMR starts if you want to make it like Halo CE.
Waypoint Slayer would be BR/Carbine/LR with ordnance/vehicle spawns similar to Invasion Slayer. Essentially competitive slayer but with a bigger variety in weapons that might scare the more hardcore fans away. Competitive Personal Ordnance.
Infinity Slayer is the shitfest we have now. Random Personal Ordnance.

CTF
-CTF, One Flag
No Infinity/Halo 4 CTF ridiculousness.

Assault
-Assault, One Bomb

Oddball
-Oddball, Grifball (fixed)

King of the Hill
-King of the Hill, Territories (Three Plots is still an option)

Regicide
-Regicide, VIP (And by extension Race)
-Needs some tweaking for sure but it'd be more like Juggernaut 2.0.

Secondary Gametypes
These would all be more class-based and generally larger-scale similar to Reach Invasion but done right.
Extraction (A competitive classless variant would be possible)
Invasion (Spartan vs Spartan but it could have some unique skins/armor attachments for "Contras" which are basically renegade Spartans that stole contraband Covenant gear. Armor would be an indicator of "class.")
Domain (Revised and reskinned Dominion).
Flood (Sub-gametype of Infection, think Safe Havens meets Firefight meets Dominion)

Tertiary Gametypes
Basically Action Sack-style stuff.
Race (Achieved with VIP)
Grifball (Achieved with Oddball)
Infection (Unique, "legacy" Halo 2/3-style settings)
Team Snipers, SWAT, and so on.

I have no idea how that would translate to playlists, though.

Just throwing it out there: I'd be fine with a gametype suite like this. To clarify, the "standard" variant is BR/Carbine/Light Rifle starts, while the "Pro" variant is BRs only. Or maybe DMRs only, that'd be interesting. Slayer is a weird exception.

Primary Gametypes

Slayer
-Team Slayer, Waypoint Slayer, Infinity Slayer
Team Slayer is the "Pro" variant that has either all BR starts or all DMR starts if you want to make it like Halo CE.
Waypoint Slayer would be BR/Carbine/LR with ordnance/vehicle spawns similar to Invasion Slayer. Essentially competitive slayer but with a bigger variety in weapons that might scare the more hardcore fans away. Competitive Personal Ordnance.
Infinity Slayer is the shitfest we have now. Random Personal Ordnance.

CTF
-CTF, One Flag
No Infinity/Halo 4 CTF ridiculousness.

Assault
-Assault, One Bomb

Oddball
-Oddball, Grifball (fixed)

King of the Hill
-King of the Hill, Territories (Three Plots is still an option)

Regicide
-Regicide, VIP (And by extension Race)
-Needs some tweaking for sure but it'd be more like Juggernaut 2.0.

Secondary Gametypes
These would all be more class-based and generally larger-scale similar to Reach Invasion but done right.
Extraction (A competitive classless variant would be possible)
Invasion (Spartan vs Spartan but it could have some unique skins/armor attachments for "Contras" which are basically renegade Spartans that stole contraband Covenant gear. Armor would be an indicator of "class.")
Domain (Revised and reskinned Dominion).
Flood (Sub-gametype of Infection, think Safe Havens meets Firefight meets Dominion)

Tertiary Gametypes
Basically Action Sack-style stuff.
Race (Achieved with VIP)
Grifball (Achieved with Oddball)
Infection (Unique, "legacy" Halo 2/3-style settings)
Team Snipers, SWAT, and so on.

I have no idea how that would translate to playlists, though.

Just the option to play them in customs would be enough. Well, not for me since I have no one to play customs with :(

BigShow36

Then don't sprint. You trade speed for combat readiness. That's the whole point.

It's a stupid point.

You know what one of the more subtle shifts has been in recent Halo games to it's detriment? Punishing players who move and rewarding players who don't. That's the exact opposite of how it should be.

Limiting grenades, personal ordnance, sprint, removal of powerups, armor abilities, slow movement, slow strafe, boltshot loadouts.

All of these serve to punish movement and encourage players to camp. Why does moving at a reasonable pace require that I can no longer shoot and am at a disadvantage in every encounter?

TheOddOne

Majestic Team DLC playlists is the worst. Constant Join-in-progress matches and just outright terrible teammates, I've not quit this many matches since ever.

Went to play Infinity Slayer and Big Team. No Jip matches at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sprint doesn't belong in Halo.

I'd rather not walk around maps. If sprint doesn't belong add an animation that makes it look like you are running while using normal speed. I hate how you looked and felt like you were walking around in all the other games.

Fuchsdh

It's a stupid point.

You know what one of the more subtle shifts has been in recent Halo games to it's detriment? Punishing players who move and rewarding players who don't. That's the exact opposite of how it should be.

Limiting grenades, personal ordnance, sprint, removal of powerups, armor abilities, slow movement, slow strafe, boltshot loadouts.

All of these serve to punish movement and encourage players to camp. Why does moving at a reasonable pace require that I can no longer shoot and am at a disadvantage in every encounter?

Halo has never been an arena shooter where you're flying across the map. You move at a decent speed without sprint. You aren't forced to use it.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'd rather not walk around maps. If sprint doesn't belong add an animation that makes it look like you are running while using normal speed. I hate how you looked and felt like you were walking around in all the other games.

And I don't care how something looks I care how it plays.

Tawpgun

Throwdown has flinch, sprint, Adrift, Abandon, killstreaks, loadouts and power weapon spawns that aren't fully static.

I havent seen Abandon in there.

Killstreaks are literally just AA's and they're a cool addition.

No loadouts.

Power Weapons are static.

ps shut up heckfu

Overdoziz

Banned
I havent seen Abandon in there.

Killstreaks are literally just AA's and they're a cool addition.

No loadouts.

Power Weapons are static.

ps shut up heckfu
Waypoint says Abandon is in the playlist.

AAs as killstreaks is bad because you can't practically predict whether someone has one, let alone which.

The Deluxe gametypes have (set) loadouts.

The weapons (aside from one I think) spawn X minutes after someone picks them up, not consistently every X minutes. Not static.

Heckfu shut up

BigShow36

Halo has never been an arena shooter where you're flying across the map. You move at a decent speed without sprint. You aren't forced to use it.

No, but it was a medium-paced shooter that allowed players to move around the map without feeling like a sacrificial lamb in the process. The strafe used to allow a player who was exposed to have a fighting chance. You don't move at a decent speed without sprint, you move very slowly. Go play any other shooter game and then come back to Halo; you'll notice how slow you move.

It's a stupid point.

Stopping power as well. Total bullshit. In previous Halo's you always have an equal chance with movement. If some Camo punk is holding an AR and you run by you have no chance because you can't even move. The other offender is 1 on battles is lost. A lot of times you pay a penalty for winning them by getting cleaned up because you literally cannot move.

Fuchsdh

Stopping power as well. Total bullshit. In previous Halo's you always have an equal chance with movement. If some Camo punk is holding an AR and you run by you have no chance because you can't even move. The other offender is 1 on battles is lost. A lot of times you pay a penalty for winning them by getting cleaned up because you literally cannot move.
This is why I shouldn't bother responding to you people. You're either dumber than bricks or you can't figure out to construct an argument without hyperbole.

Computron

Wow.

I just learned something new about Halo 2.

You know how when you are holding the BR and aiming at an enemy, the reticle turns red if your within range, right?

In Halo 2, when you are aiming at a hunter, the reticle has two stage of this. The normal red for when you are aiming at their armored zones, and a thicker red reticle when you are aiming at their unshielded squishy parts.

I'm still finding new things in this game.

Top Bottom