• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Havok

If the dude is boarding the butt of my Wraith, I'd love to be able to press X to get out instead of waiting to die. Thanks.
Boarding has been screwy for a really long time. Either you get locked in when someone is on your tank's ass, which I guess locks the doors, or you get hit with that horrible stun after you're boarded and die immediately. Not really sure why either of those things need to exist and actually take control options away from the player.

Akai__

So I don't want to hijack this topic, but I want to reach as many Halo communities as possible with this:

I started a Halo 4 Survey ("The months after") because I am a big Halo fan and think Halo 4 still has much more potential. I was kind of surprised with the tremendous support from all Halo communities.

I was hoping you can miss a few minutes to complete this survey. The more people participate, the bigger our chances are for getting 343 to notice this!

Here is the survey. Of course I will share a summary and the results here!

Did the survey. Can't wait to see the results.

Havok

Though you're taking away the kill from the guy who did the work.
While simultaneously removing some of his combat opportunities. In Halo 2, you could board a tank's ass and just melee, which would often cause the guy to get out, then you could kill him and take the tank. Now it's just "hold a button until you magnetize onto it and hit B a few times or LT once for a kill" as your only option.

Besides, you could still absolutely get a kill when they could get out before, you just had to be quick about your grenade after you boarded. You couldn't take your sweet time with it. Even if the guy got out, you still had the ability to destroy the offending vehicle and deny it to them. Options are good. One guy holding X shouldn't remove a control option from the other player for an indefinite period of time (as opposed to assassinations, which have a maximum possible duration).

metzger203

Oh I know you aren't playing Delta Halo but not Regret... ;)

Also, why Lone Wolf instead of Pillar Of Autumn in Reach?

Also need to put Crow's Nest in under Halo 3. Probably some of the best on-foot encounters ever on that level.

My memory is a little fuzzy... where exactly did Delta Halo end and Regret begin? Regret was gondola rides and underwater elevators, right?

PoA in Reach is fun but it's kind of a let down with the two scarabs you're just supposed to ignore. I like Lone Wolf because it really feels like an ending... that and all the dead spartans lying around.

I'll agree with you on Crow's Nest and admit it was hard not to include that one. I think I chose Tsavo instead because ever since watching the Halo 2 cutting room video I had wanted to use the troop transport hog. Tsavo is just a good vehicle level in general.

Could you imagine how awesome the end of Halo Reach could have been.

Mongoose run
Epic Battle with 2 Scarabs
Fight against a few Brute Pack as you approach the PoA
Big battle with Elite Zealot unit
Jump on TrashMac Gun and blow up some phantoms and a covie cruiser.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
And to add, if someone is assassinating me, I would like to press X to kindly walk away. I know he got behind me, but everyone makes mistakes. I shouldn't suffer for it.
No, you should suffer for it. It's no different than a Beat Down, except it's better for your team since the assassin could be killed during the animation or immediately after. There shouldn't be a button that lets you escape, since it was your fault to begin with.

Unless they were Camo camping, in which case they should go die in a hole. :p

No, you should suffer for it. It's no different than a Beat Down, except it's better for your team since the assassin could be killed during the animation or immediately after. There shouldn't be a button that lets you escape, since it was your fault to begin with.

Unless they were Camo camping, in which case they should go die in a hole. :p

I think you forgot to turn your sarcasm-o-meter on!

My memory is a little fuzzy... where exactly did Delta Halo end and Regret begin? Regret was gondola rides and underwater elevators, right?

Regret is like the second half of Delta Halo. It's evil to do one and not the other. Just like Outskirts/Metropolis.

PoA in Reach is fun but it's kind of a let down with the two scarabs you're just supposed to ignore. I like Lone Wolf because it really feels like an ending... that and all the dead spartans lying around.

But since Lone Wolf is barely a level, and it happens right after, why not play both? Completely agree on the Scarab letdown, there hasn't been a good Scarab battle since 3, I'd say.

I'll agree with you on Crow's Nest and admit it was hard not to include that one. I think I chose Tsavo instead because ever since watching the Halo 2 cutting room video I had wanted to use the troop transport hog. Tsavo is just a good vehicle level in general.

There's a transport hog on The Covenant. Tsavo is really good, too... It just feels weird not to include Crow's Nest in there, but I can't really see which one to take out, granted.

--

Halo 4: Requiem, Forerunner, Shutdown, Composer, Midnight?

What about ODST?

I would have loved a fleshed-out Invasion expansion for Reach. Buff the Plasma Repeater, slightly buff the Plasma Pistol, add more maps and vehicles and increase player count to 16. Give one team a boss to use (I did this with a custom powerup on my maps that would turn the player gold and would usually spawn right next to a sword to emulate a Zealot). Expansions that added more objectives and more scenarios such as destroying generators or bringing a terminal online would have been fantastic.

Hhhhnnngggg.
Such Much Fun. Why Couldn't Halo 4 Be Like This, Kevin?? Invasion was/is a good gametype. Way better than Infinity.

"Infinity is my favorite" - says Nobody Ever :p

FyreWulff

I get the feeling some people in gaming side probably think Jen Taylor and Steve Downes recorded all their lines in H4 for 400$ each and one half of a Subway footlong

While simultaneously removing some of his combat opportunities. In Halo 2, you could board a tank's ass and just melee, which would often cause the guy to get out, then you could kill him and take the tank. Now it's just "hold a button until you magnetize onto it and hit B a few times or LT once for a kill" as your only option.

Besides, you could still absolutely get a kill when they could get out before, you just had to be quick about your grenade after you boarded. You couldn't take your sweet time with it. Even if the guy got out, you still had the ability to destroy the offending vehicle and deny it to them. Options are good. One guy holding X shouldn't remove a control option from the other player for an indefinite period of time (as opposed to assassinations, which have a maximum possible duration).

I don't understand why developers think it's all cool and shit to remove/alter what has worked before.. How are key features/options removed from game to game? How? Who had the idea to change that with the Wraith boarding? Who had the idea to remove red deathmarks? WHO?!

Is it Microsoft ruining Halo? Was it only Bungie? Is it only 343? Maybe it's a collection of Microsoft/343 making these decisions? Can anyone with some experience in the industry please describe how this works because for the life of me I can't understand why something like red deathmarks are not in this game... Sometimes it gets so ridiculous that I seriously think we're being given subpar Halo experiences so that later it'll be easier for them to WOW us lol

Generator Defense in in Halo:Reach. And it was in Matchmaking for around a month at some point.

It was in the beta to test the campaign networking.

RIP Generator Defense and FF Versus.

I get the feeling some people in gaming side probably think Jen Taylor and Steve Downes recorded all their lines in H4 for 400$ each and one half of a Subway footlong

Stopped reading that thread after this.

$4,000 for voice recording?

I've recorded decent sounding albums with my band (12 songs) for $2,000. Not in the US, of course, but still, that is just an insane price. Here you can find excellent studios that charge no more that $60/hour.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just watched the "Brave New Worlds" vid from Bungie again... damn I almost could tear up at the early Halo stuff, that's how much I miss it.

I also cringed everytime someone of them said Reach was their best Halo :(

Nowise10

Just watched the "Brave New Worlds" vid from Bungie again... damn I almost could tear up at the early Halo stuff, that's how much I miss it.

Campaign wise is what they were talking about. Which is true in my opinion. They got to do alot of what they wanted to do in past Halos in Reach.

I loved the Reach campaign so much, got like 22 days total playtime in it <3.

darthbob

Clearly they're not going to say that Halo 2 was their best Halo.

How disingenuous.

Toa TAK

Banned
Clearly they're not going to say that Halo 2 was their best Halo.

How disingenuous.

Yeah, I have only good memories of Halo 2 (minus the cliffhanger), but it was a little disheartening to hear how bad their experience was with Halo 2. Especially with it being one of my favorite Halos and all.

Campaign wise is what they were talking about. Which is true in my opinion. They got to do alot of what they wanted to do in past Halos in Reach.

I loved the Reach campaign so much, got like 22 days total playtime in it <3.
Reach's campaign sucked. A bunch of firefight missions tied together with on-rails sections about a bunch of people you didn't really care about. Especially Kat who actively tried to drive you off cliffs

Shadders

Completed the survey. The questions about whether we would like ranking and more custom options and stuff were a bit silly, who would say no? It might have been better to list those things and then have us order them by importance or something. I mean, surely nobody is going to say they don't want red Xs back..

Blueblur1

So I don't want to hijack this topic, but I want to reach as many Halo communities as possible with this:

I started a Halo 4 Survey ("The months after") because I am a big Halo fan and think Halo 4 still has much more potential. I was kind of surprised with the tremendous support from all Halo communities.

I was hoping you can miss a few minutes to complete this survey. The more people participate, the bigger our chances are for getting 343 to notice this!

Here is the survey. Of course I will share a summary and the results here!

Completed it just for the hell of it.

Fotos

Completed the survey. The questions about whether we would like ranking and more custom options and stuff were a bit silly, who would say no? It might have been better to list those things and then have us order them by importance or something. I mean, surely nobody is going to say they don't want red Xs back..

Never mind ;p

Nowise10

Reach's campaign sucked. A bunch of firefight missions tied together with on-rails sections about a bunch of people you didn't really care about. Especially Kat who actively tried to drive you off cliffs

Reach's environments were really cool and unique and I enjoyed all of them.

1: And what is Halo 3? You killed people place to place. Halo:Reach had more unique missions then Halo 3. Most fun area was the Hornet sky battle in Halo 3.

2: I agree at an extent, but they are had different personalities, which made them noticeable.

3: Kat has the same driving physics as any other AI in any Halo game.

Top Bottom