• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

wwm0nkey

All I want to know is if we can get the Halsey issue out of the way soon in the new Halo game, I don't want that carrying over until Halo 6.

I am fine if she does a few things because she is forced to like make better armor for the Storm or something. Also I want the Arbiter back dammit!

Duji

Tawpgun, I swear I've already explained to you why they probably took out the red Xs. It doesn't mesh well with instant respawn.

JHall

Tawpgun, I swear I've already explained to you why they probably took out the red Xs. It doesn't mesh well with instant respawn.

There is also that perk that shows a red X over the last person that killed you for a few seconds after respawning.

Moa

A custom option would have been nice.

In fact, custom options would have been nice for a lot of things :(

IHaveIce

Banned
I really would love to have a chat with all the writers of Halo 4, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic or cruel way, I just would like to know some stuff why it was written like it is.

Also the whole Halsey debate would be a nice topic. Frankie what do you say? Any chance of an AMA with the writers?

I have no problem with dropping Requiem into the Sun. The whole Halsey process, lack of explanation and unlikable characters who get the spotlight, while already fleshed out characters who are fanfavorites still get no appearance in the games, though are a problem for me

Booties

Banned
I don't think red x's were explained. I will never understand that decision without one. It was as essential to halo as guns-melee-grenade if you ask me. Dumb example, but some kid made a song called "one shot on my x". It's just part of what makes halo MM classic.

Madness

I know Im just a junior, and ill probably regret posting this...

But why doesnt Kyle ghaleon and Juices like me??

Im also Butthurt and dont like 343

Are you obsessed with me? I mean that has to be the reason. You're the one who went through all my posts a while back, you seem to keep going through my history, wanting me to respond. You clearly must have an infatuation or something. It's not healthy bro. I can't reciprocate and give you the time of day you so desperately want from me.

Booties

Banned
^^^^I love that sow, but most of season 2 wasn't that funny.

I do find myself yelling "one shot at my X!" still. Even though no one knows where that is.

I do too. Tawgun made fun of it last night. It wouldn't be so bad if there were call outs for the maps like in reach. Some maps are disorienting, like the one with the big gold laser in the middle of it. By the time I think of a concise description the other team is already gone from there.

Ah, I wouldn't know. Some people you can tell they are ivy league educated, others you can't. You must be the latter.

Then again, education is education. Congratulations on being ivy league educated. I bet it's a good pick up line and it sure seems like it comes in handy for your posts here.

I would read your posts if you had a better vocabulary, because they wouldn't be as long.

HaloGAF is an exciting read this afternoon.

Good god- it's like meltdown central up in here today!

I admit to throwing my fair share of salt around in the past few months, but come on, people. It's just a video game. Life's going to have bigger curve balls to hurl at you than this.

Voicing your opinion about the game is one thing. All the melting down and melodrama is in poor taste, IMO.

JHall

There wasn't a red X in Halo CE. Then again you were most likely sitting right next to your teammate and could just peak at his screen.

Does Franks earlier post mean its possible somewhere in the distant future we may get red Xs back?

I have a hard time calling out locations on maps in this game for some reason, Xs would help so much.

Nebula

Lots of people I've never seen post, or post in HaloGAF often enough for me to recognise them, jumping out the woodwork today.

Hello.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There wasn't a red X in Halo CE. Then again you were most likely sitting right next to your teammate and could just peak at his screen.

CE maps also were very simple and had few landmarks. You could easily call out which base, hallway, or area you were at to your teammate.

As the maps got more complex (gameplay and art-wise) it became necessary for additional information, which is why Bungie added the X. This isn't a bad thing, just the nature of tech improving and maps becoming more detailed.

BigShow36

Lots of people I've never seen post, or post in HaloGAF often enough for me to recognise them, jumping out the woodwork today.

Hello.

I only stop by every few months to write long posts that are promptly ignored.

See you again in July.

CE maps also were very simple and had few landmarks. You could easily call out which base, hallway, or area you were at to your teammate.

As the maps got more complex (gameplay and art-wise) it became necessary for additional information, which is why Bungie added the X. This isn't a bad thing, just the nature of tech improving and maps becoming more detailed.

Eh, I disagree with that. It was mostly because, as JHall said, you were usually sitting right next to your teammates. The actual hard geometry of the maps were just as complex as modern maps, just with less clutter.

Caja 117

What about those team objectives games that didn't shipped with instant Respawn? And like others mentioned COD works well with instant respawn and a skull marking player death.

Booties

Banned

Screen looking in halo 3 was fun, but part of the reason my friends stopped playing with me. I couldn't help it, I just knew the maps so well that my periphery picked up all their locations subconsciously.

The color of your ally's name was useful too. It was like having a bare-bones, real time heat map. It was a lot more effective than say CoD's minimaps.

Madness

Good god- it's like meltdown central up in here today!

I admit to throwing my fair share of salt around in the past few months, but come on, people. It's just a video game. Life's going to have bigger curve balls to hurl at you than this.

Voicing your opinion about the game is one thing. All the melting down and melodrama is in poor taste, IMO.

I don't know, some people clearly have a problem with me. They think because it's GAF, they have free rein to shit on people. Guys like Booties, 36 Chambers and Hydra came out nowhere and started to clown on me, replying to posts that had nothing to do with them, and I responded in kind. You're right, it's childish and I think I may make my first use of the ignore function tonight. I have no problem with people clowning on me, as long as it's constructive and not done in an asshole way.

Edit: It's okay BigShow, when I was a lurker, I enjoyed your posts a lot. Usually well-thought and written in a way where you could explain what you mean. It's why I referenced you a few pages back when I said there are people here who like 1v1 pistols on Prisoner etc.

kylej

Banned
So while it is "absurd" Brian is simply describing a normal writer's room process, whereby tons of boring, medium and crazy ideas are passed around and digested and altered and adapted.

If that's what the serious writers in the serious writing room came up with, you need better writers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Xs are particularly important in "sudden" game types, like SWAT or Snipers, where the location of a death can warn you explicitly of danger, rather than items or strategic points. So it's not so much about what other players call out, but rather knowing the difference between a player running out of your field of view (his callsign vanishes because you're no longer looking at him) and dying (it vanishes because he's dead.)

Is there a reason you're now quoting my posts that have nothing to do with you over and over? What the fuck is OOT? Some NeoGAF inside slang or Ocarina of Time or what?

Of course it's fucking Ocarina of Time. Jesus, you're the one sporting the link avatar. Guess what the differnce between your avatar and link in OOT is?

The Link in OOT isn't always a child.

What about those team objectives games that didn't shipped with instant Respawn? And like others mentioned COD works well with instant respawn and a skull marking player death.

And the funny thing is that a great deal of people in COD still refer to that skull as an "X" because of Halo.

Nebula

343 could just implement something that removes the red X when that player dies again, if that person even dies before the first red X disappears.

Tawpgun

Does Franks earlier post mean its possible somewhere in the distant future we may get red Xs back?

I have a hard time calling out locations on maps in this game for some reason, Xs would help so much.
I hope so. Everyone I've played with still says it, I feel it's an issue that should be addressed.

Also, the indicators for firing and taking damage are so subtle it's almost too difficult o keep track.

The lack of these indicators not only suck because you can't use your x as a callout, but it's difficult to find out what's happening where on the map

Duji

There is also that perk that shows a red X over the last person that killed you for a few seconds after respawning.

Totally forgot about that. It matches up with the "let's nerf the base game to make room for perks" mentality.

I don't know, some people clearly have a problem with me. They think because it's GAF, they have free rein to shit on people. Guys like Booties, 36 Chambers and Hydra came out nowhere and started to clown on me, replying to posts that had nothing to do with them, and I responded in kind. You're right, it's childish and I think I may make my first use of the ignore function tonight. I have no problem with people clowning on me, as long as it's constructive and not done in an asshole way.

Edit: It's okay BigShow, when I was a lurker, I enjoyed your posts a lot. Usually well-thought and written in a way where you could explain what you mean. It's why I referenced you a few pages back when I said there are people here who like 1v1 pistols on Prisoner etc.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48519382&postcount=4607

Was this me being an asshole?

Xs are particularly important in "sudden" game types, like SWAT or Snipers, where the location of a death can warn you explicitly of danger, rather than items or strategic points. So it's not so much about what other players call out, but rather knowing the difference between a player running out of your field of view (his callsign vanishes because you're no longer looking at him) and dying (it vanishes because he's dead.)

True, but if they're not in front of you, you're not always going to notice their indicator disappearing because of how subtle it is, especially when it's far away but in DMR distance.

You know what gametype I really miss? Assault :(

Assault was fun for customs. In MM no one ever voted for it or even played it seriously.

Last time i enjoyed a game of assault was on Waterworks BTB on Halo 2.

Climbing up to the top of the structure and sniping the shit out of the enemy team while the bomb was ran into the base like a cunt.

Good times.

Nebula

ZsC2AhN.jpg

Y'all need to step up your game.

Booties

Banned
The lack of feedback in this game was the first thing everyone noticed wrong. No one could tell if they were being shot, no red X's, and like Tawpgun said, too subtle of an indicator about who is firing/being shot upon. I also think the callsigns and gamertags don't stand out enough on the HUD. Needs a little more contrast with all the blue, especially on a map like haven.

Top Bottom