• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Madness

The fuck are you talking about? No one here thinks I fucking run HaloGAF or think that I think I run it, are you kidding me? I like the community here because it's full of veteran fans who know what they're talking about.

I said what I said because it seems like you're here because of Frankie and you're always bringing up "I know I'm a Junior" and "Look, I've been lurking here for a while". Just post quality post instead of trying to forcibly justify them.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Me saying that I think hiring Frankie to be franchise director was a mistake, me complaining about 343, complaining about the story, spartan ops, how much infinity is a clusterfuck really means I'm here to talk to Frankie. Not you who came out of nowhere, to be the number 4 poster in the last OT, acting like you run HaloGAF when I said I would stop posting here. I remember what you wrote to me then, saying things like HaloGAF won't miss me. And yet again, the sheer smugness and pretentious nature of your last post to me, clearly shows you think because you post so much, it's all quality.

Believe me, my last post criticizing Frankie, the storytelling, the fact that Halo 5 needs to have a self contained story, is more quality than posting how throwdown and majestic are the most fun you've had since Halo 3.

Booties

Banned
The fuck are you talking about? No one here thinks I fucking run HaloGAF or think that I think I run it, are you kidding me? I like the community here because it's full of veteran fans who know what they're talking about.

I said what I said because it seems like you're here because of Frankie and you're always bringing up "I know I'm a Junior" and "Look, I've been lurking here for a while". Just post quality post instead of trying to forcibly justify them.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Me saying that I think hiring Frankie to be franchise director was a mistake, me complaining about 343, complaining about the story, spartan ops, how much infinity is a clusterfuck really means I'm here to talk to Frankie. Not you who came out of nowhere, to be the number 4 poster in the last OT, acting like you run HaloGAF when I said I would stop posting here. I remember what you wrote to me then, saying things like HaloGAF won't miss me. And yet again, the sheer smugness and pretentious nature of your last post to me, clearly shows you think because you post so much, it's all quality.

Believe me, my last post criticizing Frankie, the storytelling, the fact that Halo 5 needs to have a self contained story, is more quality than posting how throwdown and majestic are the most fun you've had since Halo 3.

This is fun. Get cha popcorn ready!

Nebula

Say we were going to work out ordnance so it could stay instead of completely removing it. What would you do to change it and help it function better?

I was thinking stuff like Overshield, Damage boost and Speed Boost could stay. Then add to this threesome by including Active Camo (drops in like the others in non AA form.) We could also remove all the power weapons. This would include:
Rocket Launcher
Incineration Cannon
Fuel Rod Cannon
Sniper Rifle
Binary Rifle
Beam Rifle
Sticky Detonator

We would keep and add (bolded=new):
DMR
BR
LightRifle
Carbine

Concussion Rifle
Needler
Speed Boost
Damage Boost
Active Camo
Overshield
All Grenade types (2 grenades per ordnance)

I was also toying with the idea of some sort of ammo refill/partial refill.

Also with the removal of the power weapons from ordnance, we would have to add them to the maps themselves. I'd prefer this be done with the more classic Halo weapon spawn. Encourage some map movement and what not.

I know a lot of people want to see ordnance gone, but there's no harm in trying to figure out ways to make it less of an issue while it's around.

EDIT:More drama?

Madness

Lol at the junior getting butt hurt. Time to quit gaf again. Take your 500 word essay posts with you for good this time.

I'm sorry, the guy with a busty Cortana and Brazzers logo for an avatar has a problem with a slightly large post. I guarantee if you read them, you'd expand your ability to write better words than 'butt hurt'.

GhaleonEB

It really doesn't. I really just don't know who in their right mind would go ok tell a story that makes us look worse. I applaud it's honesty but from a business standpoint it's not the most wise thing to do.

I like these developer peeks behind the curtains, and have enjoyed the ones 343 has provided. But they're a double edged sword in that sometimes the creative process is messy and it's perhaps not the best idea to show everyone that mess. In this instance I think they simply thought details on the genesis of the ending would be fun to share with people. I thought it was interesting.

I haven't followed the Spartan Ops story line closely, just reading summaries now and then. So I'm disconnected a bit from this. I got the Cliff Notes version. So all I can really say is, I'm glad I didn't read the entire book, so to speak.

like you run HaloGAF when I said I would stop posting here. I remember what you wrote to me then, saying things like HaloGAF won't miss me. And yet again, the sheer smugness and pretentious nature of your last post to me, clearly shows you think because you post so much, it's all quality.

Everyone was laughing at you when you said you were leaving HaloGAF forever, don't single me out.

I also never implied in any way that I "run" HaloGAF, that's ridiculously silly. I hate to even respond to that because I don't feel like it doesn't deserve such, but I'm not going to keep quiet on an accusation like that.

I'm sorry, the guy with a busty Cortana and Brazzers logo for an avatar has a problem with a slightly large post.

Hey, I made that for him out of love and respect. You went too far.

You run the 1v1 boneyard division, yes.

I thought it was the boner division.

ySVrlAN.jpg

"We weren't given enough information about Halo 4 before it came out"

"They gave us too much information about Spartan Ops now that it's over"

HaloGAF, the craziest girlfriend ever.

I haven't followed the Spartan Ops story line closely, just reading summaries now and then. So I'm disconnected a bit from this. I got the Cliff Notes version. So all I can really say is, I'm glad I didn't read the entire book, so to speak.
The cutscenes might be worth your while. You can at least watch those online without having to endure all the irrelevant gameplay.

Madness

Everyone was laughing at you when you said you were leaving HaloGAF forever, don't single me out.

I also never implied in any way that I "run" HaloGAF, that's ridiculously silly. I hate to even respond to that because I don't feel like it doesn't deserve such, but I'm not going to keep quiet on an accusation like that.

They were laughing at what I wrote, they were laughing at what an idiot I was, most didn't act smug about telling me to leave and not letting the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

Give it a rest dude, I call it like I see it. Just look at your bullshit post to me earlier, that it's adorable that I think Frankie might read my post, or that he's the only reason I'm here.

I joined here finally, because guys like Ghaleon, Wu, and many others were leaving HaloGAF somewhat. And a large exodus of gamers I played against were stopping playing halo. I remember most of HaloGAF, I think I've played against a few. I don't have any ulterior motives like some folks here. I just like halo, talking about halo, playing halo.

Korosenai

No one is complaining that we got too much information, theyre complaining what the information is about.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I like these developer peeks behind the curtains, and have enjoyed the ones 343 has provided. But they're a double edged sword in that sometimes the creative process is messy and it's perhaps not the best idea to show everyone that mess. In this instance I think they thought details on the genesis of the ending would be fun to share with people. But even from my vantage point, I winced a bit. I don't think it did what they hoped it would do.

KyleJ is cherry picking quotes to compound his opinion, which I do too, I suppose, but the ending wasn't a throwaway joke, it was a writer's room meeting whereby we needed something big enough to destroy Requiem, a heavily armored shield world, and agency by Jul. So while it is "absurd" Brian is simply describing a normal writer's room process, whereby tons of boring, medium and crazy ideas are passed around and digested and altered and adapted.

But noted for the future, we will describe these things in dry bullet point lists with no information about the process and we will avoid colorful lanuage and metaphor lest it befuddle the simple country folk of the community thread.

Blueblur1

Doing the "mysterious" thing only works for so long though before it becomes annoying. See: Lost.

Not that I disagree with you though.
You're absolutely right about that. With that being said, a writer can always solve a mystery and create others. 343 solved almost all of all the mysteries (as far as I know ONI is still mysterious but they're an uninteresting trope so who cares) and decided to write a whole new story that is much simpler in its scope but also much less exciting. :/

They were laughing at what I wrote, they were laughing at what an idiot I was, most didn't act smug about telling me to leave and not letting the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

Give it a rest dude, I call it like I see it. Just look at your bullshit post to me earlier, that it's adorable that I think Frankie might read my post, or that he's the only reason I'm here.

I joined here finally, because guys like Ghaleon, Wu, and many others were leaving HaloGAF somewhat. And a large exodus of gamers I played against were stopping playing halo. I remember most of HaloGAF, I think I've played against a few. I don't have any ulterior motives like some folks here. I just like halo, talking about halo, playing halo.

You joined because they left?

I think everyone's happy that we were told, but just confused as to why they would tell us something that makes them look that bad.

But noted for the future, we will describe these things in dry bullet point lists with no information about the process and we will avoid colorful lanuage and metaphor lest it befuddle the simple country folk of the community thread.

As a proud resident of Kentucky, I am offended by this.

Mindwipe

I have spent some time digesting that bulletin. And now I THE ENDING OF SPARTAN OPS WAS DECIDED ON BECAUSE OF A GOOFY THROWAWAY JOKE FRANKIE MADE AT A MEETING

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Bungie save us.

I hope Frankie was joking at least, given what a dumb ending it was :-(

Tawpgun

The cutscenes might be worth your while. You can at least watch those online without having to endure all the irrelevant gameplay.
Well they have us an insight into the dev and it showed how sloppy it was. Can't expect us to ignore that and just be happy we got to know.

Now I'm wondering how sloppy the mp decision making process was.

I'm sorry, the guy with a busty Cortana and Brazzers logo for an avatar has a problem with a slightly large post. I guarantee if you read them, you'd expand your ability to write better words than 'butt hurt'.

Don't talk to the thread OP like that, show some respect.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
KyleJ is cherry picking quotes to compound his opinion, which I do too, I suppose, but the ending wasn't a throwaway joke, it was a writer's room meeting whereby we needed something big enough to destroy Requiem, a heavily armored shield world, and agency by Jul. So while it is "absurd" Brian is simply describing a normal writer's room process, whereby tons of boring, medium and crazy ideas are passed around and digested and altered and adapted.

I think most of us get that there was more to what we read Frank, just how it was presented in the bulletin made the decision for the major plot points seem like it was an easy one spawned out of a joke, not one that took time and fit with the overall fiction and future fiction.

Most of us get that you guys probably poured over the ending and made sure it was what you wanted, it just doesn't come across that way in his story. Although I would have loved to have been in that meeting where you noted to throw Requiem into the sun. :p

Mindwipe

If you needed something to destroy Requiem (why? Sorry, still think it's a dumb cliche), why not set it up in advance instead of having a last second "hey! Requiem has a "throw itself into the sun" button, with DO NOT PRESS written on it." *Ploink*).

Requiem is a character, and was written out in a dumb way, out of the blue with no setup for no real plot win. Mass Effect 3 is a good example of how well that works.

Shadders

Don't make a girl a promise..

Stinkles

If you needed something to destroy Requiem (why? Sorry, still think it's a dumb cliche), why not set it up in advance instead of having a last second "hey! Requiem has a "throw itself into the sun" button, with DO NOT PRESS written on it." *Ploink*).

Requiem is a character, and was written out in a dumb way, out of the blue with no setup for no real plot win. Mass Effect 3 is a good example of how well that works.

Because the story changes in construction. And when you think about the matrix of connected elements from Campaign that changed (also normal), and the knock-on effect that has on the series, you will probably get some idea of the complexity. It's a normal part of the process.

Madness

You caught me red-handed. I'm guilty. I'm smug and I like to think I run HaloGAF everyone! And I think that because I post over and over and give A ZooJoo a run for his money, I can talk down to people.

Fixed that for you ;)

Double post, where's some crow I can eat after I said it myself a few pages back to someone else.

Tawpgun

Because the story changes in construction. And when you think about the matrix of connected elements from Campaign that changed (also normal), and the knock-on effect that has on the series, you will probably get some idea of the complexity. It's a normal part of the process.
I think cyclone put it best. You guys probably did write the story in a serious, professional matter, but the way it was presented in the bulletin made it seem like it was a bunch of kids writing a fan fic.

Some more dev design behind the scenes would be welcomed. We got explanations for the CTF and global ordnance changes and load outs... What about the red x's, or the cut game types and infection changes?

Stinkles

I think cyclone put it best. You guys probably did write the story in a serious, professional matter, but the way it was presented in the bulletin made it seem like it was a bunch of kids writing a fan fic.

Some more dev design behind the scenes would be welcomed. We got explanations for the CTF and global ordnance changes and load outs... What about the red x's, or the cut game types and infection changes?

indeed.

Shadders

Frank, while you're here.

It would be really good to see a Spartan Ops postmortem, get a few of the designers to discuss the successes and pitfalls, tell us what they've learned whilst putting it together. Could give a nice indication of what we can expect in Season 2 without having to lift the lid on it officially.

Spartan Ops is such a new and raw concept that this could be really interesting, maybe even worthy of a GDC talk.

Booties

Banned

No, I think my Ivy league education is what expanded my ability to write big words.

I think most, errr.. let's change that to some (times have changed), including kylej understand that it wasn't so cavalier.
But you know this too.

----------------------------------------------------------

Interesting to see that destroying Requiem was the intention, that the Sun was merely the solution. As expected of course, but still.
What about the red x's?
I thought this was addressed at one point?

BigShow36

It's because we care too much (tear). When it looks like the developers don't, that doesn't sit well with extreme fans like you have here. It feels like we care and treasure the franchise more than the people in charge of it do. I'm a MP guy, but I can totally relate to these guys who get pissed about "jokes" determining the In-Game Fiction.

When you guys laugh and joke about stuff that negatively affects us players, we dislike it. It's funny when the game is good, not so much when it's not. When you ruin MP and your only response is "IT GUN B K" and half-truths and empty promises in the bulletin, it makes us want to lash out at you in return. When you make it seem like the conclusions to the campaign is a joke, people don't like it. Even though most of us realize that making a game isn't so simple and straightforward, we still want you to at least give us the courtesy of explaining some of the major rationalizations.

Do you know why the Great Wizard of Oz was such a disappointment? Because he was a farce hiding behind a facade. He wasn't the man everyone expected and wanted him to be. When the great and powerful 343 reveals itself and all we see is a bunch of clowns shitting on our most treasured franchise and joking about it, even if they really do take it very seriously, it makes us sad and angry.

Think of politics. How often have you screamed inside at a politician begging them to just be straight with you, just tell the truth and explain it like an adult. That's how we feel.

If you're going to reveal the men and women behind the curtain, just tell us the straight truth about how and why decisions were made. You can color it with your jokes and the hilarity of the workplace environment, but unless that's really how the decisions were made, that's not where the revelations should end. You did a little of it in your post I quoted, and you know what, that tiny bit was more informative than any of the bulletins I've read so far.

I'm not posting this with any animosity or ill-will towards you or 343; I'm beyond that. I respect you enough to offer my insight and all we ask is that you do the same to us.

Madness

No, I think my Ivy league education is what expanded my ability to write big words.

Ah, I wouldn't know. Some people you can tell they are ivy league educated, others you can't. You must be the latter.

Then again, education is education. Congratulations on being ivy league educated. I bet it's a good pick up line and it sure seems like it comes in handy for your posts here.

Top Bottom