• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I thought you sold Halo 4

My friend wanted to try out Majestic, since he came over to my house when it launched. I had a few spare points, and HaloGAF was praising Majestic, so I said why not and bought it.

Not really considering selling it anymore considering Majestic is actually pretty good, and I did just spend $10 on a Map-Pack for the game.

But I did Check, Gamestop will give $24 for Halo 4, in case anyone is wondering. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Finally get to play the new maps tonight. Fucking. Finally.

Also, that video you posted was kinda weak Ray, sorry.

I hope multiplayer wasn't designed in a similar fashion.

jack-nicholson-sticking-finger-flipping-bird.gif

only because it's most likely true..

♫ Quit playing gamesss with myyy heartttt ♫

It's because we care too much (tear). When it looks like the developers don't, that doesn't sit well with extreme fans like you have here. It feels like we care and treasure the franchise more than the people in charge of it do. I'm a MP guy, but I can totally relate to these guys who get pissed about "jokes" determining the In-Game Fiction.

When you guys laugh and joke about stuff that negatively affects us players, we dislike it. It's funny when the game is good, not so much when it's not. When you ruin MP and your only response is "IT GUN B K" and half-truths and empty promises in the bulletin, it makes us want to lash out at you in return. When you make it seem like the conclusions to the campaign is a joke, people don't like it. Even though most of us realize that making a game isn't so simple and straightforward, we still want you to at least give us the courtesy of explaining some of the major rationalizations.

Do you know why the Great Wizard of Oz was such a disappointment? Because he was a farce hiding behind a facade. He wasn't the man everyone expected and wanted him to be. When the great and powerful 343 reveals itself and all we see is a bunch of clowns shitting on our most treasured franchise and joking about it, even if they really do take it very seriously, it makes us sad and angry.

Think of politics. How often have you screamed inside at a politician begging them to just be straight with you, just tell the truth and explain it like an adult. That's how we feel.

If you're going to reveal the men and women behind the curtain, just tell us the straight truth about how and why decisions were made. You can color it with your jokes and the hilarity of the workplace environment, but unless that's really how the decisions were made, that's not where the revelations should end. You did a little of it in your post I quoted, and you know what, that tiny bit was more informative than any of the bulletins I've read so far.

I'm not posting this with any animosity or ill-will towards you or 343; I'm beyond that. I respect you enough to offer my insight and all we ask is that you do the same to us.

Such a beautiful post.

v lol shhhhh

Xs are particularly important in "sudden" game types, like SWAT or Snipers, where the location of a death can warn you explicitly of danger, rather than items or strategic points. So it's not so much about what other players call out, but rather knowing the difference between a player running out of your field of view (his callsign vanishes because you're no longer looking at him) and dying (it vanishes because he's dead.)

Please don't tell me you're justifying the removal of X deathmarks..........

Frankie please. Not pls, please. Please stahp.

True, yet it also is used in your standard gametypes to not only warn of danger, but also to let you know when there is a potential kill that you can get for the team. If someone yells "one shot at my X" I immediately know there's a player that is about dead that I can kill to gain another point for the team.

In objective games it's more what you noted, used to warn of danger as kills aren't the win condition. X's on objective games let me know when someone is coming for the flag I am guarding, or a general idea of where the other team may be so I can better position myself to take them on or surprise them.

Overall a teammate dying isn't just a death, it provides a ton of information that can be deciphered. Where he died, how he died (based on audio potentially), how many people died in that area (thus how many enemies might be there, or a tank), and how close that enemy is to me. The red X was nice for that because if I see my whole team die I can bet on the other team rushing the flag in CTF, etc.

Well put. X deathmarks are crucial to a teams communication and awareness. To be honest, I'm actually kind of offended
half jk
at what's going on here and that hardly anyone is pointing this out...

I cannot believe what I just read ._. Not to sound like an ass, but that really does put things into perspective for me. As a diehard Halo fan I have little confidence in 343 to deliver a high quality Halo experience at this point.

Battered Halo fan syndrome.

Kind of a weird question GAF, but I have to ask, do you guys consider the cut scene where Tilson get's composed during Composer to be graphic? Or NSFW (think a HaloGAF member called it NSFW before)

Tunavi

Banned
fit-gaf - I have a ~6-10 mile daily bike commute. so that's my daily exercise.

and seriously where are the death X's. argh.

Kind of a weird question GAF, but I have to ask, do you guys consider the cut scene where Tilson get's composed during Composer to be graphic? Or NSFW (think a HaloGAF member called it NSFW before)
Yeah, I'd call it graphic.
She's a largely realistic looking human whose skin, muscle and bone burn away in front of you while she screams in pain.

I don't find it offensive. There's a slightly comical tone to it that wouldn't make it NSFW in my book and workplace, but that depends where you work.

Fuchsdh

Not really. Well, yes, I guess "graphic" would e a good word for it but not really NSFW. It's not really trumped up for shock or gore value, though it certainly is effective.

Homeboyd

I still refuse to believe that there are real people on internet forums who actually put other users on ignore. That's like going to McDonalds and ordering a salad.

no one will read this because I'm on everyone's ignore list.
You're not on mine, puddin' pop.

TheOddOne

KyleJ is cherry picking quotes to compound his opinion, which I do too, I suppose, but the ending wasn't a throwaway joke, it was a writer's room meeting whereby we needed something big enough to destroy Requiem, a heavily armored shield world, and agency by Jul. So while it is "absurd" Brian is simply describing a normal writer's room process, whereby tons of boring, medium and crazy ideas are passed around and digested and altered and adapted.

But noted for the future, we will describe these things in dry bullet point lists with no information about the process and we will avoid colorful lanuage and metaphor lest it befuddle the simple country folk of the community thread.
Frankie noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Also, Workaholics has improved? That pilot was turrible.

Ghazi

CliffyB drives a frigging Lambo. He is about as in touch with the gamer as Hillary Clinton.
Frankie, what kind of car(s) do you/the rest of the staff of 343i drive? I feel like this quote is applicable to the current situation of Halo.

Booties

Banned
I'm down ya herb

Are we twitter friends? My room mate is watching Argo because he is home sick. Fucking sexiled, ya herb.

Infinity slayer is a lot more popular then team throwdown.....not even 2000 playing.
a3ad029679f0a170097e16869e21bc65.jpg

You could literally put "fucking your mom" at the top of the hopper list, and people would still play it. Put Throwdown up top for 1 month and tell me how popular infitiny is then.

Fuchsdh

Are we twitter friends? My room mate is watching Argo because he is home sick. Fucking sexiled, ya herb.

You could literally put "fucking your mom" at the top of the hopper list, and people would still play it. Put Throwdown up top for 1 month and tell me how popular infitiny is then.
Considering how BTB has consistently been the top-ranked playlist in Halo 4, I think that particular bit of "common knowledge" has been disproved, or at least weakened.

JHall

It's my designated I'm At Work and My Wife Isn't So She Watches Netflix All The Time box.

Plus, when I do play I'm on a Dark Souls bender. I'm getting the FPS itch though, I'll be on Blops II this weekend probably.

Sounds good to me. My friends and I are on a 74 game win streak in Search, I'll hit you up if you get on.

Booties

Banned
Considering how BTB has consistently been the top-ranked playlist in Halo 4, I think that particular bit of "common knowledge" has been disproved, or at least weakened.

BTB has always had a huge number since halo 3. Nothing new here. And it's number 2. All the good playlists besides the DLC, which they need to advertise, are at the bottom.

OverHeat

« generous god »
When looking at the numbers by playlist for the next game....guess what playlist will be the template to improve upon ;)

That whole "playlists appearing at the top gets more players" theory isn't as big a deal as people make it. Put Infinity Slayer on the bottom of the list and it'll still be the most played.

Fuchsdh

That whole "playlists appearing at the top gets more players" theory isn't as big a deal as people make it. Put Infinity Slayer on the bottom of the list and it'll still be the most played.
When are you guys on? BTB always has more players evening on USEast.

This, right here. I was playing with some friends that rarely play and they didn't even know Team Throwdown existed. Make it top of the list. Please.

It's because we care too much (tear). When it looks like the developers don't, that doesn't sit well with extreme fans like you have here. It feels like we care and treasure the franchise more than the people in charge of it do. I'm a MP guy, but I can totally relate to these guys who get pissed about "jokes" determining the In-Game Fiction.

When you guys laugh and joke about stuff that negatively affects us players, we dislike it. It's funny when the game is good, not so much when it's not. When you ruin MP and your only response is "IT GUN B K" and half-truths and empty promises in the bulletin, it makes us want to lash out at you in return. When you make it seem like the conclusions to the campaign is a joke, people don't like it. Even though most of us realize that making a game isn't so simple and straightforward, we still want you to at least give us the courtesy of explaining some of the major rationalizations.

Do you know why the Great Wizard of Oz was such a disappointment? Because he was a farce hiding behind a facade. He wasn't the man everyone expected and wanted him to be. When the great and powerful 343 reveals itself and all we see is a bunch of clowns shitting on our most treasured franchise and joking about it, even if they really do take it very seriously, it makes us sad and angry.

Think of politics. How often have you screamed inside at a politician begging them to just be straight with you, just tell the truth and explain it like an adult. That's how we feel.

If you're going to reveal the men and women behind the curtain, just tell us the straight truth about how and why decisions were made. You can color it with your jokes and the hilarity of the workplace environment, but unless that's really how the decisions were made, that's not where the revelations should end. You did a little of it in your post I quoted, and you know what, that tiny bit was more informative than any of the bulletins I've read so far.

I'm not posting this with any animosity or ill-will towards you or 343; I'm beyond that. I respect you enough to offer my insight and all we ask is that you do the same to us.
Agreed. Godly Post. Holy Shit.
WOw how did I miss this post,thanks NobleGundam for qouting it again.

Great post, I agree. with everything.
No Prob. Man.
It took awhile to catch up with the thread.

Please don't tell me you're justifying the removal of X deathmarks..........

Frankie please. Not pls, please. Please stahp.

Well put. X deathmarks are crucial to a teams communication and awareness. To be honest, I'm actually kind of offended
half jk
at what's going on here and that hardly anyone is pointing this out...

I cannot believe what I just read ._. Not to sound like an ass, but that really does put things into perspective for me. As a diehard Halo fan I have little confidence in 343 to deliver a high quality Halo experience at this point.

Battered Halo fan syndrome.

That to me points to a bigger issue overall. A lot of the "little things" that Bungie did so well, 343 didn't do well in H4. Like the red X after deaths (such a stupid little thing but so important online), the polish and how clean the menus were, the "adding" of features and game-types on top of what was there and not removing them, Bungie did that cause that was important to them and it became important to us.

To me the biggest issue i have with 343 isn't AA's or loadouts, but the fact that they actually removed custom options, gametypes and useful things like the red X when all they had to do was add shit on top of those. You dont remove features. You're 343 taking over Halo, not fucking EA.

You know how fucking ridiculous it is when i have to pop in Reach or Halo3 just to get to play some assault.....its beyond fucking stupid and ive NEVER had to do that in a Halo game.....until now. THATS whats bugs me.

BigShow36

It's merely a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course BTB and Infinity Slayer are going to be the most popular if you drive away the fans of every other gamemode. When you release the game with only a few maps to play smaller gametypes on and the only non-infinity gametype is a divisive "pro" playlist, it's not some instructive revelation about Halo players as whole when you lose the players who enjoyed those missing playstyles.

Top Bottom