• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

That whole "playlists appearing at the top gets more players" theory isn't as big a deal as people make it. Put Infinity Slayer on the bottom of the list and it'll still be the most played.

It's actually not a bad theory at all. As far as UI design goes, the longer it takes for a person to get to something, the less important that item is deemed by the develepor. It's why 'options' is most likely the last item you'll see on any main screen (second only to the 'exit' option).

I think the long scrolling list is pretty terrible especially as it hides the last few options. It simply takes too long for the unitiated to scroll down. They see the option near the top, they like it, they pick it.

Booties

Banned
That whole "playlists appearing at the top gets more players" theory isn't as big a deal as people make it. Put Infinity Slayer on the bottom of the list and it'll still be the most played.

Obviously people are just going to play slayer more than anything else, but I think the top of the list thing is 100% true. If it's so stable then put it lower instead of making a "flavor of the week" gametype that just dies off in 3 days. It's bad management.

When looking at the numbers by playlist for the next game....guess what playlist will be the template to improve upon ;)

Hopefully they realize that a high percentage of the current population playing infinity is meaningless when there was literally a mass exodus before the game was out for 2 months.

IHaveIce

Banned
It's because we care too much (tear). When it looks like the developers don't, that doesn't sit well with extreme fans like you have here. It feels like we care and treasure the franchise more than the people in charge of it do. I'm a MP guy, but I can totally relate to these guys who get pissed about "jokes" determining the In-Game Fiction.

When you guys laugh and joke about stuff that negatively affects us players, we dislike it. It's funny when the game is good, not so much when it's not. When you ruin MP and your only response is "IT GUN B K" and half-truths and empty promises in the bulletin, it makes us want to lash out at you in return. When you make it seem like the conclusions to the campaign is a joke, people don't like it. Even though most of us realize that making a game isn't so simple and straightforward, we still want you to at least give us the courtesy of explaining some of the major rationalizations.

Do you know why the Great Wizard of Oz was such a disappointment? Because he was a farce hiding behind a facade. He wasn't the man everyone expected and wanted him to be. When the great and powerful 343 reveals itself and all we see is a bunch of clowns shitting on our most treasured franchise and joking about it, even if they really do take it very seriously, it makes us sad and angry.

Think of politics. How often have you screamed inside at a politician begging them to just be straight with you, just tell the truth and explain it like an adult. That's how we feel.

If you're going to reveal the men and women behind the curtain, just tell us the straight truth about how and why decisions were made. You can color it with your jokes and the hilarity of the workplace environment, but unless that's really how the decisions were made, that's not where the revelations should end. You did a little of it in your post I quoted, and you know what, that tiny bit was more informative than any of the bulletins I've read so far.

I'm not posting this with any animosity or ill-will towards you or 343; I'm beyond that. I respect you enough to offer my insight and all we ask is that you do the same to us.
WOw how did I miss this post,thanks NobleGundam for qouting it again.

Great post, I agree. with everything.

When are you guys on? BTB always has more players evening on USEast.

Yeah BTB usually does have a good amount of players, but still.. They could just reverse the order of the playlists and I doubt it would have an impact on the level of what some believe it to be. SWAT continues to disprove that theory.

This, right here. I was playing with some friends that rarely play and they didn't even know Team Throwdown existed. Make it top of the list. Please.

So they figured out Halo 4's UI enough to actually get into a party to search for games but they couldn't scroll down a list? Some people just can't be saved lol

If it's so stable then put it lower instead of making a "flavor of the week" gametype that just dies off in 3 days. It's bad management.

I would like to see the "exciting new gametypes" be featured at the top of the playlist for a while and Infinity Slayer/BTB move down too if that's what you're suggesting.

How would you guys feel if the snipers had less prominent smoke trails on their bullets in favor of laser sights? Sniper's would be green, Beam Rifle's could be purple.

And no fucking having it disappear while cloaked this time around.

That to me points to a bigger issue overall. A lot of the "little things" that Bungie did so well, 343 didn't do well in H4. Like the red X after deaths (such a stupid little thing but so important online), the polish and how clean the menus were, the "adding" of features and game-types on top of what was there and not removing them, Bungie did that cause that was important to them and it became important to us.

To me the biggest issue i have with 343 isn't AA's or loadouts, but the fact that they actually removed custom options, gametypes and useful things like the red X when all they had to do was add shit on top of those. You dont remove features. You're 343 taking over Halo, not fucking EA.

You know how fucking ridiculous it is when i have to pop in Reach or Halo3 just to get to play some assault.....its beyond fucking stupid and ive NEVER had to do that in a Halo game.....until now. THATS whats bugs me.

The thing I find most offensive about the X deathmarks is that we've been bombared with new information on the screen -

+10 HEADSHOT

- but some of key things that have been there in previous games got removed and Frankie tried to justify it? I really don't understand.. Am I wrong here? ;'[

The communication surrounding Halo 4, both ingame and out, is abysmal.

Havok

History disagrees with you. When Anniversary playlists were first implemented in Reach, Anniversary Squad was at the top of that subsection (and the overall listing) and Anniversary Classic was below it. Squad had well over twice the population that Classic did. Their positions were swapped overnight and Classic was at the top of the listing. The populations immediately swapped, and Classic had double the population of Squad. It was almost a perfect exchange of position and population. Nothing changed except their positions. It's not perfect, but it's the most clear-cut example of how normal players use the playlist UI that we have without getting access to backend data, and I suspect the change would have been more drastic if it hadn't been a DLC playlist.

That isn't to say that Infinity playlists wouldn't still be the most played if they were moved, but I don't think they'd have quite the same huge population advantage that they do now. I think there are words that people actively look for, like "Slayer" or "Big Team" or "SWAT" and they'll preferentially go towards those, but then for the playlists that most people aren't really going to give a second glance by their name, the position ends up being important.

Redford

aka Cabbie
How would you guys feel if the snipers had less prominent smoke trails on their bullets in favor of laser sights? Sniper's would be green, Beam Rifle's could be purple.

And no fucking having it disappear while cloaked this time around.

I'm not sure I understand, you mean like the Binary Rifle?

If it was a laser sight it'd be just a dot, wouldn't it? If you mean a beam, I'd rather not have people anticipating my shots, smoke trails are fine unless you're joking.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll be on in about 30 if anyone is playing. I'll be able to play for an hour or so before a friend gets on. I can play after, I just wont be in game chat.

I'm not sure I understand, you mean like the Binary Rifle?

If it was a laser sight it'd be just a dot, wouldn't it? If you mean a beam, I'd rather not have people anticipating my shots, smoke trails are fine unless you're joking.

I mean just a dot, not a beam. They should really just get rid of the Binary Rifle.

To be fair I'd be completely okay with both a laser sight dot and smoke trails.

That isn't to say that Infinity playlists wouldn't still be the most played if they were moved, but I don't think they'd have quite the same huge population advantage that they do now.

It's like you agreed with me up until you defined the population as "huge." I guess that's where we differ because I wouldn't consider a couple hundred people difference by moving a playlist around a big deal, especially in a game without ranks where a players' only concern is to simply "find games."

Havok

It's like you agreed with me up until you defined the population as "huge." I guess that's where we differ because I wouldn't consider a couple hundred people difference by moving a playlist around a big deal, especially in a game without ranks where a players' only concern is to simply "find games."
When the average hardcore or non-Infinity playlist is bouncing between 1-3k players peak, a few hundred isn't insignificant. In the case of Anniversary Squad and Classic, the change was two thousand, not just a few hundred. I don't really have any idea of what the scale of the actual population migration would be when the playlist pool is so much larger, but any impact is important at this point.

Given that my matches with this game have often been filled with moronic random teammates and bad host selection, I'd like to have a larger pool, no matter how much larger, because at this point my only concern isn't just to find matches as fast as possible. Whether or not that's actually achievable with a simple move is up in the air, sure.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I don't get the tarp thing, what does it mean?

You're right. But it's NeoGAF, there are pretty deep relationships here between people and there is a lot more scrutiny and dismissiveness of juniors.

The one thing I don't like or do, is resort to insulting people. You can personally respond to someone, back it up with previous posts, they've written etc. but there is no call for trying to be on a soapbox and acting holier than thou.

Saw this now.. FWIW you're probably one of the best new members here, actually posting content consistently. Makes it a shame when you get mad, leave that for the shit-tier juniors who came in here to post gifs and try to act chummy with people they don't know/never bothered to play with and try to throw their weight around with mint member tags.

Fuchsdh

It's merely a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course BTB and Infinity Slayer are going to be the most popular if you drive away the fans of every other gamemode. When you release the game with only a few maps to play smaller gametypes on and the only non-infinity gametype is a divisive "pro" playlist, it's not some instructive revelation about Halo players as whole when you lose the players who enjoyed those missing playstyles.

That feels like a twist of facts to suit theories. Admittedly it's partially academic until they actually move where Throwdown is in the list.

Tawpgun

So U4ix tweeted out the story behind TheHaloCouncil Drama

http://pastebin.com/agWm8UtZ

Have no idea if new or cold
master_chief__s_popcorn_by_x38-d4a4rpr.png

IHaveIce

Banned
So U4ix tweeted out the story behind TheHaloCouncil Drama

http://pastebin.com/agWm8UtZ

Have no idea if new or cold

hmmm

I've chosen to post this after several messages from the staff at GoBeyondEnt, claiming things on their end are "under control," that "there's no grudges;" that they're not in competition with us and that the ex-Halo Council staff are not using their new platform as a personal vendetta.

Clearly, their words and actions are in stark contrast to this message.

What did theydo recently? I didnt see anything what was a potential grudge.

EDIT: also I will not form any opinion without hearing the other side

Top Bottom