• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

J10

Banned
Hard Light Shield reminds me a little bit of the riot shield from those CoD games. I wonder if that's where they got the inspiration for it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Oh I know. I don't like it at all too. Im just saying its not any better than armor lock, its just different.

Though I will say, using it in Extraction in Team Throwdown to defend a teammate arming/convering a point is kinda cool.

yeah, my point exactly. it says something though that its virtually off of peoples complaint radar.

Madness

Mah plasma in my bedroom just died. Might go out and buy a new one today I think... Old one only went to 720p and with next gen around the corner, it may be beneficial to just get a full HD one.

Any particular brands better than others?

Unless you plan on getting a top of the line LED TV, stick with Plasma. Panasonic is your best bet. You can get a really great size and quality Plasma for about half the price of a comparable LED. I'd say only the very best Samsung, Sony, Sharp LED tv's compete.

No worry about burn in, and most plasmas now also have smart features.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The not being able to spawn with AA's in throwdown is amazing. Getting them in the personal drops is cool.

i havent played much it much. i have a hard time adjusting to playlists with base movement trait changes. 110% movement is enough to throw my entire game off.

Tawpgun

i havent played much it much. i have a hard time adjusting to playlists with base movement trait changes. 110% movement is enough to throw my entire game off.

Throwdown has faster movement? I actually hadn't noticed. Oh cool it is. I always thought I felt more agile in throwdown. I love it.

Fotos

I honestly don't even notice it. If I never saw that it was changed to 110% I would think it was normal.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow, I nearly missed it in the Bulletin but the online File Browser is live :D

Anyone got any good Forge maps to share with a link to download? Smaller the better.

Tawpgun

This is Infinity BTB where the weapons are random and vehicles don't matter.

GxwbdR4.jpg

It's still a one shot kill, but now the shotgun can beat it.

Basically its range isn't absurd anymore. They moved it back 10 feet. It's better, but still a problem.

It reduced the effective kill range for a OHKO by by 5-10 feet. I don't think it really fixed the fundamental problem with that weapon, I've still been able to take people out really easily. There's maybe a little less of "oh, baloney, he was nowhere near me," but that was only a small portion of my annoyance with the boltshot in the first place.

Lowered the range for the charge shot kill

Good to hear, progress at least.

I remember someone here saying about having the Boltshot strip shields only.

Would everyone be good with that? I think it would be a good trade off, with some cooldown after the first shot to stop insta-headshots with the remaining 5 shots?

Ghazi

Would everyone be good with that? I think it would be a good trade off, with some cooldown after the first shot to stop insta-headshots with the remaining 5 shots?

Yeah, I'd be fine with that even though it'd turn it into a Plasma Pistol reskin. The game's improved a lot since launch though (if you haven't played it recently, which I'm guessing you haven't due to not knowing about the Boltshot), Team Throwdown and Doubles Pro are great.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that even though it'd turn it into a Plasma Pistol reskin. The game's improved a lot since launch though (if you haven't played it recently, which I'm guessing you haven't due to not knowing about the Boltshot), Team Throwdown and Doubles Pro are great.

Ive played Throwdown and Snipers a bit, have the pass and havent played the maps yet. Halo Wars is eating up all my gaming time right now. Ive heard good about the maps though

Havok

It'd be nice, sure. It would also fit into the same niche that the light rifle does, being a hybrid of the two other notable weapons in its class with some drawbacks. Headshot capability of the magnum without the scope, plus shield stripping and charge time of the plasma pistol without the tracking or EMP.

I think you'd probably need to institute a cooldown between the charge and melee as well so you haven't turned an instant kill into an almost-instant kill.
HaloGAF should get together and run Big Team sometime, I think it'd be fun.
Wake me when Big Team isn't just Slayer. BTB Slayer has always been a snoozefest.

Omni

Unless you plan on getting a top of the line LED TV, stick with Plasma. Panasonic is your best bet. You can get a really great size and quality Plasma for about half the price of a comparable LED. I'd say only the very best Samsung, Sony, Sharp LED tv's compete.

No worry about burn in, and most plasmas now also have smart features.

Ooohokay. Will look out for another plasma then as I only have about a thousand AUD. Cheers mate :)

Ghazi

Ive played Throwdown and Snipers a bit, have the pass and havent played the maps yet. Halo Wars is eating up all my gaming time right now. Ive heard good about the maps though

Yeah they're pretty good, even Landfall which is the weakest of the 3 maps is enjoyable. They're only in an Infinity playlist though (which I think has non-infinity options in it, but I've yet to play them). Skyline is my favorite with Monolith in a close second, plus they've all got static spawns which automatically makes them another step up from the on-disc maps.

Loginius

The hardlight shield is not even half as bad as armor-lock was.

-you can still get shot/meleed from the sides and behind
-you can shoot at his feet even from the front
-the user is not stationary
-a well placed granade will most likely kill the hls user

I dont see the problem with it when compared to things like camo, jetpack or thruster pack.

Boltshot nerf made it way more bearable but I agree that it was not enough.
I have no problem with it being a one hit kill at point blank but I think you should be right besides your enemy (so much that you would start to clip in third person).
What bugs me is that after the update you still get your shields stripped completely when the enemy is 50 yards away...
The only thing that has changed is that it isnt 1hit kill but one hit with the botshot weapon swap and headshot.
This still is faster than 5shots with a dmr at close to mid range when you have the coresponding perks.

Madness

I dont see the problem with it when compared to things like camo, jetpack or thruster pack.

Boltshot nerf made it way more bearable but I agree that it was not enough.
I have no problem with it being a one hit kill at point blank but I think you should be right besides your enemy (so much that you would start to clip in third person).
What bugs me is that after the update you still get your shields stripped completely when the enemy is 50 yards away...
The only thing that has changed is that it isnt 1hit kill but one hit with the botshot weapon swap and headshot.
This still is faster than 5shots with a dmr at close to mid range when you have the coresponding perks.

No, it's actually worse than armor lock, but you said yourself it doesn't get noticed because there are other things that take precedence like camo and jetpack.

Case in point you say throw a grenade, what if the guy is far away? Close enough you can ping him with a rifle, but too far for a grenade.

Then, sprint is always on, instead of as an armor ability. If I see you stop shooting, to throw a grenade, I'll drop the shield and start running. That's also if you still have grenades to throw since there is no pickup for grenades, without resupply.

With armor lock, the guy was a sitting duck, you could close the distance and wait it out. With hard light shield, he can move behind the copious amounts of rocks and cover, he can deflect shots somewhere else. Plus, you add in instant re spawn, and it's likely he'll have a teammate spawn near him soon.

Havok

Depends on the range. Armor Lock was a big pain in the ass at closer ranges, but once you got out a little ways the user was going to be toast as soon as he came out of it because he couldn't move and you could sit and wait - the stationary nature isn't a positive for the user, it's a negative. With the Hardlight Shield, the user can pretty easily get away after popping it if he's at even medium distance since your grenade is much more difficult to place at range, you can't flank at that distance, and the foot shot isn't easy enough to do and isn't going to kill him quick enough anyway. That mobility is a big reason it's so powerful.

On average, it's maybe not as bad, but it's still a bit of a lateral move and a pretty big pause button that I don't think needs to exist.

And thruster pack? That's one of the most inoffensive abilities the game has. It's that and Hologram in the "decent fit for Halo" category.

No, it's actually worse than armor lock, but you said yourself it doesn't get noticed because there are other things that take precedence like camo and jetpack.

Case in point you say throw a grenade, what if the guy is far away? Close enough you can ping him with a rifle, but too far for a grenade.

Then, sprint is always on, instead of as an armor ability. If I see you stop shooting, to throw a grenade, I'll drop the shield and start running. That's also if you still have grenades to throw since there is no pickup for grenades, without resupply.

With armor lock, the guy was a sitting duck, you could close the distance and wait it out. With hard light shield, he can move behind the copious amounts of rocks and cover, he can deflect shots somewhere else. Plus, you add in instant re spawn, and it's likely he'll have a teammate spawn near him soon.
You Must Be Kidding Me That You're Saying HLS, Is "Worse" Than Armor Lock. Please Say That Its All Just A Joke Post.

Now if you're serious than I'm Lost for words how someone believes this without extensive research and testing both Armor Abilities Strengths & Weaknesses.

Top Bottom