• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6T5WHpKK-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Xkl-du2vA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju4oFoSR9Ms

Imagine if this was what you heard when you booted up Halo 4 for the first time? Instead, you get some wailing you've never heard and won't hear again until you meet the Librarian in campaign and it's so quiet then.

Doesn't have to be the exact same. I mean they had the monks in the e3 reveal trailer, they sounded different etc. And it's something that is so small and yet has such a huge impact.

Ghazi

CP3VUB6.jpg

Bisonyes.gif

now I have them on Kindle and physical!

If anyone wants to look good in Halo 4, I'm on and willing to party up.
I'll be on in <1 hr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6T5WHpKK-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Xkl-du2vA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju4oFoSR9Ms

Imagine if this was what you heard when you booted up Halo 4 for the first time? Instead, you get some wailing you've never heard and won't hear again until you meet the Librarian in campaign and it's so quiet then.

Doesn't have to be the exact same. I mean they had the monks in the e3 reveal trailer, they sounded different etc. And it's something that is so small and yet has such a huge impact.

<3 the Halo 2 soundtrack, that shit was amazing.

I for one am really glad that 343 took Halo's music in a new direction. I love Marty's work, but we had 3 Halo games that featured for the most part, the same music but reworked. Hearing something new was great. I really wish Davidge and the other composers were allowed the same level of work in game that Marty was. It feels like Davidge and the other composers did their thing, then handed it to a new group of people for implementation.

Fuchsdh

I for one am really glad that 343 took Halo's music in a new direction. I love Marty's work, but we had 3 Halo games that featured for the most part, the same music but reworked. Hearing something new was great. I really wish Davidge and the other composers were allowed the same level of work in game that Marty was. It feels like Davidge and the other composers did their thing, then handed it to a new group of people for implementation.

I think that might just be the peril of not having an in-house composer. I think Davidge's helpers at 343i did a good job and I wouldn't mind then doing the score next time.

As to O'Donnell, he definitely had a style for Halo but if you look at ODST and Reach they are completely different mood wise from Halo 1 and 3 (which I agree we're a bit too similar.)

danwarb

It was kept and reworked because it was a great theme(s). The Halo 4 soundtrack is forgettable.

What is there could've been put to much better use though, as you say.

heckfu

Banned
We played some 2v2 team FIFA last night (2 Human, 9 AI players a team) and it was super awesome. Anyone down tonight to play?

NOKYARD

Halo 4 loadouts.gif

As far as the map itself, it would probably be simple enough to wall of the giant island on FI and add a ceiling and make the rest of the map off-limits. Or, if someone wants to get crazy, they could try and connect the two main islands.
How's this?

Completely enclosed within the island with teleporters to bring you back in if you get pushed through the wall. Neutral spawns are placed around the perimeter to prevent forced traps and spawning within items.

All items are locked to prevent accidental deletion. In my File Share.

Fuchsdh

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
I love the sound. It sounds more monklike than other versions--as in, it sounds like its coming from a real, distant place and they sound like actual chantersr rather than vocalists. There are some issues with the Halo theme in that game--the short sustain on the third cello note, for instance--but the monks nail it for me. It gives me that sense of wonder I felt 12 years ago.

I love the sound. It sounds more monklike than other versions--as in, it sounds like its coming from a real, distant place and they sound like actual chantersr rather than vocalists. There are some issues with the Halo theme in that game--the short sustain on the third cello note, for instance--but the monks nail it for me. It gives me that sense of wonder I felt 12 years ago.

Honest Negotiation Suite @55sec is HOT. I love the new versions vocals

http://youtu.be/e0OqVk_plDY

How's this?

Completely enclosed within the island with teleporters to bring you back in if you get pushed through the wall. Neutral spawns are placed around the perimeter to prevent forced traps and spawning within items.

All items are locked to prevent accidental deletion. In my File Share.

Beautiful. Maybe juices can stream Forge Wars whenever we get a party running.

It's because they were what defined the earlier games as well. I think whatever music that is used when a game becomes iconic, tends to stick with the franchise.

It also doesn't help when one of the best in the business scored the previous games. I'll use Harry Potter as an example. John Williams made the iconic theme. Starting from the 3rd movie on, they started to use less and less of his tunes from the first two films. By the end, I think you hear his Hedwigs theme for a few seconds in a movie that's it. But if you were to choose any music that defines the movies, that would be the theme, it's what unifies the movies so to speak.

That's a pretty weird example, but yesterday I talked about how Nintendo kept 95% of the music from Link to the Past in the videos they showed. And fans will appreciate it as they're walking around Hyrule Field and the traditional overworld theme is playing.

Naturally, Halo 1-3 are what made the series popular, it's music will stand out the most and always define the series. The monks, never forget, e-dorian theme, end Warthog run etc.

I've now played through the Halo 4 campaign twice, I just beat it again two days ago, and yet if I heard the music somewhere, I wouldn't recognize it. That's why I feel the music was substandard in how it was used in the campaign. And it's probably Marty's ability. Because I only beat Reach twice too, but if you played the Pillar of Autumn music, I'd remember Jorge's death, and many other scenes where it was used effectively etc.

Galaxy Extended from 5.00 to the end is god tier and very anthem like, a real Halo build up if you ask me. The best Davidge put together IMO and it sucks there were no audio sliders in the campaign as it was mixed far too softly against all the game sound effects. I suppose it was by design as they wanted things more visceral. The mixing got better in SPOPS though as did the choice of music. I have to agree that Marty's music gave the campaign that extra lift, personally I don't think it's the composition but the mixing in game. Overall OST2 is far better than OST1 for me.

Other favs from OST 2 are:
Gravity (epic Halo feels)
Convoy (ambush attack Halo feels)
Foreshadow (foreboding mystery Halo feels)
Intruders (John badarse feels)
Mantis (from 50seconds onwards, hopefully UNSC feels)
Majestic (second half, space opera end game discovery feels)

One major audio track question: whatever happened to the new monks sound (at end of clip) or the music track throughout the reveal trailer. For me that was going to be the new Halo sound but it never delivered as that recognisable Halo theme (updated of course).

Anyone care to help organise the playlists for when/if 343i try to go the Halo 3 ranked vs. social split?

1. Ranked 2v2 & 4v4 playlists = Core Halo Arena maps & settings, it is the sweet spot for Halo. Return to high quality Halo 1-3 style smaller maps, bring back one sided objective by design and a must return to 4v4 for less chaos plus easier tournament setups (helps developer made maps designs).

2. Ranked & Social BTB playlists = Battlefield style of play and old classic Halo BTB from Halo 2 era mixed with Halo 3 BTB with vehicles being around a lot longer. Mix more objective into standard BTB through voting.

3. Social 4v4, 5v5, 8v8 and up = COD/Infinity style playlists and settings for the most part AKA 343i's Halo.

4. Other playlists like Flood, Grifball or FFA remain split between ranked or
social and old meets new Halo settings with variance. Keep the ranked stuff to variants of watered-down Infinity but weighted towards classic. Regarding the social side simply through in all the regicide/Infinity stuff as the dominant weighting but provide a taste of classic experience.

Ideally I'd like to see some ranked settings as:

1. default slayer
2. infinity slayer
3. MLG/AGL/UMG
4. BTB clan matches mixing slayer/objective (or online tournaments by 343i)
5. default objective (extraction, KOTH, oddball, dominion etc)
6. default CTF/assault
7. grifball
8. FFA
9. doubles

Then they can go crazy with social:
1. BTB Infinity
2. multi-team
3. infinity slayer
4. action sack
5. flood
6. rumble Pit
7. snipers
8. swat
9. rotational

HmBTB parties..maybe I come online
Too much information mate ;)

willow ve

Man, i dunno if you're like that too, but i play like a handicap when im playing and drinking. I absolutely stink.

I "think" I play better while drinking. Playing stone sober I play ok, but very cautiously. Playing with some booze = willing to push, die, sacrifice for the team, risk it all for a sprinting jumping jetpacking no-scope
snapshot
cross map.

Madness

See another problem is, of course the Halo 4 soundtracks are great when you're listening on your audio players or through solid headphones etc.

But the primary means of delivery is through the game. And the music was great at parts, poor at other places. It lead to the music being utterly forgettable.

I don't want everything to be the same, but the monks are iconic to Halo. Adding in some similar tribal wailing just makes it look like change for the sake of change.

Remember, this was supposed to bring us back to Chief and continue his story.

Here's what Marty said about why ODST and Reach had different music:

"What was nice about that was it wasn't the Master Chief story and it wasn't taking place on a Halo. We had this whole other vibe and it was this film noir thing; that was fun for me because I could stretch into a whole other area and do this pseudo-jazzy-dark-noir feel that was different. And then Reach is another one where I could drift away from the classic Halo themes and just make something that was unique to the Planet Reach and to the soldiers that were on Reach that sacrificed their lives and come up with a bunch of new music for that."

I don't know, I guess I'm beating a dead horse though. They had even made a nice monk chant reworked for the e3 trailer.

I was playing SWAT earlier. I went 27-8 on Adrift with multiple double kills and triple kills. We won 600-280 or something.

My CSR went from 15 to 14. What is this I don't even...

I was playing SWAT earlier. I went 27-8 on Adrift with multiple double kills and triple kills. We won 600-280 or something.

My CSR went from 15 to 14. What is this I don't even...

I hear CSR is a game behind like Halo 2 was regarding ranking. Perhaps you lost the last game and the next game you finish you'll go up a bunch. ?

Nice Wahrer, I've enjoyed your creativity in your posts recently. Like fanficiton for the sandbox and matchmaking :)

I read over your playlists blog but is there a slot or three for Infinity or new creations in there? Seems like an across the board return to "classic style Halo", am I correct there?

Madness

Ranked:
Lone Wolves/Free-For-All (6 or 8 man FFA)
2v2 Team Doubles
4v4 Team Slayer
4v4 or 6v6 Team Objective/Skirmish
3v3v3v3 Ranked Multi-Team

Social:
Rumble Pit Free For All
4v4 Social Slayer
8v8 Big Team Battle
6v6 Social Skirmish/Objective
Flood
Grifball
4v4 Team SWAT
4v4 Team Snipers

I've been wanting something like this. Naturally there are issues and a lot of these can only work properly if the maps are created perfectly with 4v4 and smaller or 6v6 and larger in mind.

I've also been wondering why there isn't a 1v1 duel type mode? Surely it can be ranked. Imagine on a small map, you could go in and have 1v1 battles. You could only 1v1 people close to your skill level for bragging rights and competition etc.

Ranked:
Lone Wolves/Free-For-All (6 or 8 man FFA)
2v2 Team Doubles
4v4 Team Slayer
4v4 or 6v6 Team Objective/Skirmish
3v3v3v3 Ranked Multi-Team

Social:
Rumble Pit Free For All
4v4 Social Slayer
8v8 Big Team Battle
6v6 Social Skirmish/Objective
Flood
Grifball
4v4 Team SWAT
4v4 Team Snipers

I've been wanting something like this. Naturally there are issues and a lot of these can only work properly if the maps are created perfectly with 4v4 and smaller or 6v6 and larger in mind.

I've also been wondering why there isn't a 1v1 duel type mode? Surely it can be ranked. Imagine on a small map, you could go in and have 1v1 battles. You could only 1v1 people close to your skill level for bragging rights and competition etc.

While I understand how popular slayer is your list mixes CTF with all other objective modes and I'm just not down with that, sorry mate. Again do you see any playlists of yours having room for new gametypes or Infinity mixes in social etc? You are also missing a ranked 8v8 playlist? What about the return of clans? 8v8 BTB slayer and objective clan playlists were massive.

Also 1v1 was a playlist back in Halo 3, it bombed due to quitters hardcore. From memory I think it was even ranked for a while then had a short run as social only then to be dropped completely. It originally had no waypoint indicator on the enemy at first but then a winning waypoint started tracking the leader and the settings never really settled after that. I remember Guardian 1v1 for sure.

Nice Wahrer, I've enjoyed your creativity in your posts recently. Like fanficiton for the sandbox and matchmaking :)

I read over your playlists blog but is there a slot or three for Infinity or new creations in there? Seems like an across the board return to "classic style Halo", am I correct there?

Infinity is dead, so you're right on the return to classic, mostly. Notable changes across the board:

-Dual Wielding available in Campaign/Customs, but not MM
-No Sprint in Ranked. May exist in social simply because of how big the maps are.
-All Armor Abilities and Armor Mods are removed.
-Replacing them, equipment, personal ordnance, etc. are Global Powerups, albeit the infographic's a little outdated. Instead of functioning like equipment mixed with Personal Ordnance, they just show up individually on maps as powerups that grant an instant effect that orbits your player for the given time.
-Ranked uses Global Powerups, but to a lesser extent than Social does. Think Halo 3's implementation of Equipment in Matchmaking.
-"HUD Mods" exist in Social which can be cycled through somehow. Examples include Sonar 25M (the default option which displays teammates and enemies that are firing) which never runs out of battery, Motion Tracker 25M, VISR Mode, Thermal Vision (can be used to see Camo and when other players' weapons are close to overheating), Night Vision, etc.
-HUD Mods all run on a universal battery of 15 seconds, except for Sonar which doesn't eat up any battery. Once it's depleted it takes 15 seconds to recharge.
-Everyone spawns with the same HUD mods; think Crysis.

Ranked is mostly-classic Halo (with feel and flow similar to Halo CE + 2 + 3 rather than Halo 4 pulling a Reach + 2) with the exception of introducing some new powerups and uses a total of 14 weapons. Social has 30 (if you include the 6 potential loadout weapons and the 6 turrets), and Campaign / Customs have 52 available for use. All Ranked/Social maps and gametypes must adhere to the stated weapon sets for elligibility.

WcVIZo6.png

Best-case scenario there'd be something along the lines of a server browser for customs, with "Official Servers" hosting some of the more important things like, say, Grifball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom