• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

I'll buy last of us. Turning my PS3 on will be a little like opening King Tut's tomb though, I think last game I played on it was Uncharted 2.

also I was a little tipsy last night and forgot to link the fez remix soundtrack when i mentioned it so yeah http://disasterpeace.com/album/fz-side-f its good

I don't think I've ever actually purchased anything for my PS3 myself, most of my games have been given to me. I bought Mass Effect 3 from Amazon for the 360 and they mailed me a PS3 copy, but I let them know and they sent me a copy for the 360 for free after that. I basically haven't played my PS3 at all in the 3 years I've owned it. Also, I didn't know Fez had a remix soundtrack, I hope Adventure sounds good if that was remixed because I love that track on the normal OST.

gAg CruSh3r

You got that he was joking?

spongebob_zps897884ea.gif
Yeah joking -.-....

Can we all agree that the Mantis was probably the worst addition to the Halo vehicle set?

Yes. I didn't think anything could best the Prowler.

I can't make a comment on the Castle maps since I haven't played them. I'm not sure why you still write that Ragnarok is large enough for 16 players. With sprint/mobility/DMR, it hits max players at 12, although 10 has been fairly back and forth for quick combat. Exile, Vortex, and Longbow are Dominion based, but I only look at Longbow positively, and not the other two (16 is too many for Exile, Vortex has no flow or identity, it's a mess). Wreckage is like Vortex, just smaller. Settler is also not large. It's getting jammed down your throat if you attempt to play the CTF playlist. Sometimes two since there's also Infinity CTF.

These maps as a whole don't really spark much intrigue for their Halo 5 suite.

I don't make the rules man. They build them for BTB and put them in the BTB list, but something doesn't work down the line and it ends up being a mess. Ragnarok is among the worst of them.

Tawpgun

Do you at least Blu-Ray on it?

All my friends that have both consoles say they have a blu ray player that can play some games.

Ghazi

I occasionally watch Blu Ray on my PS3, not often enough to justify having it. At this point I'm more interested in the Vita than the PS3, even if it doesn't have many games 2 out of the 3 games I want for it having tons of replay value. But I mostly want it for Ultimate marvel vs Capcom 3 since I can take the thing anywhere, I didn't even know that the Vita had a port of the game until after I bought my 3DS, which has really sat unplayed since I got it.

Last Of Us is the last PS3 game I will buy. I barely used my PS3. The most times only to watch blu-rays.

I'll buy last of us. Turning my PS3 on will be a little like opening King Tut's tomb though, I think last game I played on it was Uncharted 2.

also I was a little tipsy last night and forgot to link the fez remix soundtrack when i mentioned it so yeah http://disasterpeace.com/album/fz-side-f its good
Yes. The remix is incredible. A must buy. Srsly it is damn good. Get it! Just $5!

I only played exclusives on my PS3, was too cheap to buy Blu-Ray when I can get DVD for $10-$15 cheaper. Gave it to my friend forever ago because I know he would play it more. The online experience on Xbox is just more smooth and better for playing with friends. Yes I do think it should be free (at least Netflix), but I don't mind paying it. I also think Killzone is a decent shooter at best.

Conor 419

Banned
You would never have seen me consider a Sony system at the beginning of this gen, and for many years through it, I just struggle to see Microsoft make any kind of comeback unless the PS3 demo KILLS it.

PSN+ is a god send. I bought a year a while back and getting games every month for my PS3 and Vita make me at least pay some interest in the system.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Which is kind of funny considering I'm heavily leaning towards the PS4 this time around.

I don't even care about what the specs are or if it's online only or not. My Halo-to-TV converter seems to have run it's course, and I'd rather put my money towards a good PC than spend it on a console I will get less use out of.

Still way too early to tell though.

Havok

I don't make the rules man. They build them for BTB and put them in the BTB list, but something doesn't work down the line and it ends up being a mess. Ragnarok is among the worst of them.
A map being put into a playlist doesn't mean it was built for that player count, it just means that those in charge of playlist management aren't properly curating things that don't work. Complex is in the CTF playlist, but that doesn't mean it was built for CTF. It just means that they were desperate to fill a hole in the playlist's roster for the incorrect notion that more variety makes for a better experience.

A full third of that list you posted isn't even in the big team playlist (Landfall and Daybreak in particular don't really even begin to approach big team size). Half of the maps on that list, some of which get shoved under the "lol everything is a BTB map" shorthand, play dramatically better (which isn't to say well or great) with reduced player counts, as well. At a certain point we've got to realize the blame lays partially on lack of proper curation and handling for those maps and less so on the misguided categories we've separated the map pool into.

A map being put into a playlist doesn't mean it was built for that player count, it just means that those in charge of playlist management aren't properly curating things that don't work. Complex is in the CTF playlist, but that doesn't mean it was built for CTF.

A full third of that list you posted isn't even in the big team playlist (Landfall and Daybreak in particular don't really even begin to approach big team size). Half of the maps on that list, some of which get shoved under the "lol everything is a BTB map" shorthand, play dramatically better (which isn't to say well or great) with reduced player counts, as well. At a certain point we've got to realize the blame lays partially on lack of proper curation and handling for those maps and less so on the misguided categories we've separated the map pool into.

I haven't disagreed with you. Halo 4 in general seems to be built around 5v5-6v6 gameplay, and most of the maps play better with that player count in mind. But as you said, it's just a matter of which of those maps are in what playlists.

Again, I'm only relaying information that is either in the map description or playlist choices.

Future Halo is going to be BTB bonanza to the max. Why? New hardware, less limitations, "changing game landscape", "Bang for buck" and "Games as services".

Accept it now. Pain is coming.

I loved BTB in H2 and H3, but with all the changes in Halo 4 like plasma grenades and pistols in loadouts, camo sniping, anti-vehicle rifles, and personal ordnance, vehicles just aren't fun to use anymore. There's also the fact that the maps are built so that vehicles are funneled into awkward choke points where the aforementioned things have a better chance of taking them out. You can very easily tell the difference in map building style: Bungie would have plenty of wide open spaces for vehicles to roam (Rat's Nest being one of the exceptions), whereas CA gives you predetermined paths that you have to drive on.

I'm not even going to bother.

TheOddOne

Future Halo is going to be BTB bonanza to the max. Why? New hardware, less limitations, "changing game landscape", "Bang for buck" and "Games as services".

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Dude, imagine a Sandtrap-style map, but way larger with frigates and Phantoms and Pelicans and stuff.

If that's possible for next-gen, it's an instant buy.

Snoshado

Banned
Dude, imagine a Sandtrap-style map, but way larger with frigates and Phantoms and Pelicans and stuff.

If that's possible for next-gen, it's an instant buy.

I don't know if you've heard of MAG but if next-gen Halo had massive maps that could support entire armies of players like MAG (256 player max??), I think everyone would jump onboard.

Plus, huge Halo environments are always fun in campaign, I could only imagine what they'd be like in multiplayer, with real humans in place of AI..

Why the fuck he is biting people?

#2 is like, "stop eating my arm, bitch!"

I wonder what Sanchez was thinking?

I don't know if you've heard of MAG but if next-gen Halo had massive maps that could support entire armies of players like MAG (256 player max??), I think everyone would jump onboard.

Plus, huge Halo environments are always fun in campaign, I could only imagine what they'd be like in multiplayer, with real humans in place of AI..

Battlefield/MAG style Halo spin off would be awesome.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Ooh, maybe even have an entire Covenant invasion in multiplayer!

Snoshado

Banned
Ooh, maybe even have an entire Covenant invasion in multiplayer!

Like that mode in Halo 3 or whatever where you and three others fought off waves of Covies?!

....but with dropships and cruisers and who knows what else. That would be fucking amazing with a massive team of spartans.

Defect

Lolno. That would be terrible. It's bad enough with 16 players in Halo 4.

Plus I doubt there would be a good enough population for that.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Like that mode in Halo 3 or whatever where you and three others fought off waves of Covies?!

....but with dropships and cruisers and who knows what else. That would be fucking amazing with a massive team of spartans.

Kind of like a combination of Firefight and Invasion, but with a large human facility with an armoury and vehicle bays and shit, and the Covenant have Liches and Phantoms and AI Jackals/Grunts/Hunters and even Ordnance drops.

I think it would be cool if the game worked in the same way as ODST in that you have 4 men fireteams, but your holding a line, you can see other games going on on your left and right but cant affect them

If a team on your left or right loses though suddenly you have the covies coming from that direction too.

Tawpgun

The dream is essentially Halo Battlefront spinoff.

Cruiser v Cruiser battles. Hero's can be Spartan II's. Cruisers can be designed to have mini arena style battles within them. Like a capture point on a Covy ship would be Midship.

Snoshado

Banned
I think it would be cool if the game worked in the same way as ODST in that you have 4 men fireteams, but your holding a line, you can see other games going on on your left and right but cant affect them

If a team on your left or right loses though suddenly you have the covies coming from that direction too.

Now that would be sweet. So you'd basically have to rely on people who aren't really in your "game."

Booshka

Dat PC Gaming.

Pretty much, first time I saw dozens of infantry fighting on the ground against each other, tanks and other vehicles while at the same time insane dog fights were happening in the sky above the battlefield my mind exploded. It looked so cool, I was like, so this is what PC gaming looks like.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Pretty much, first time I saw dozens of infantry fighting on the ground against each other, tanks and other vehicles while at the same time insane dog fights were happening in the sky above the battlefield my mind exploded. It looked so cool, I was like, so this is what PC gaming looks like.

If the next-gen Xbox could handle that, and with Halo, that'd be amazing.

HTupolev

Halo gameplay.
256 players.
Peer-to-peer hosting.

It'll be just like playing Halo 3 BTB with an Australian host on a 9.6K modem whose 360 is about to red ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom