• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon

So anybody know how long it searches before it gives up on finding a decent match and just sticks you into whatever game has room? This was not enjoyable lol

(I miss the little text line in Halo 3 that told you what ranks it was searching for, so you could forsee bad matches coming)

I'm starting to think that Reach would have been just fine if Bungie were able to TU it. Then at least the DLC would still be available and there'd be good playlists. Nobody denies Reach had glaring issues on launch, but most of those would have been fixed with a TU within 6 months like Halo 2 and Halo 3 were.

I'd like to pick up Majestic map pack, but there's no guarnatee I'll ever play them in matchmaking. I could play all the DLC in H3, and even in Reach before their playlists were similarly retired.

HTupolev

The state that 343 left Reach's playlists in is bizarre, both bloated and awkwardly balanced.

It's amazing that the game is still maintaining playable populations.

I'm starting to think that Reach would have been just fine if Bungie were able to TU it. Then at least the DLC would still be available and there'd be good playlists. Nobody denies Reach had glaring issues on launch, but most of those would have been fixed with a TU within 6 months like Halo 2 and Halo 3 were.

Reach's art style and map selection were so depressing. I could never seriously go back to that game..

Maps were meh but I prefer Reach's art direction tenfold to Halo 4's.

Halo Reach did to Halo 3 what Halo 2 did to Halo 1: threw mud and dirt all over everything. The colors just don't pop like a Halo game should IMO.

Don't get me wrong though, Halo 2 did it a lot better than Reach.

Reach's art style and map selection were so depressing. I could never seriously go back to that game..

Maps were meh but I prefer Reach's art direction tenfold to Halo 4's. That includes the more saturated palette and lack of lens flares.

Halo Reach did to Halo 3 what Halo 2 did to Halo 1: threw mud and dirt all over everything. The colors just don't pop like a Halo game should IMO.

Don't get me wrong though, Halo 2 did it a lot better than Reach.

halo-reach-4e267d6bccc3b.jpg

I like how Reach looks. I'm more into the paler, darker color tones.

Halo 2 is the worst IMO as far as graphics go.

Well I'll be on Reach tonight!

Pre-order a spot now!

Found an 8 dollar copy online. SOON.

Someone should run a XBC lobby for Halo CE or Halo 2.

4v4 Midship, or FFA Midship. If enough people want to we could do BTB assault on Terminal.

HTupolev

Most of the game is sombre in tone. It seems less clean and saturated than its predecessor, but it still has substantial chromatic contrast* much of the time, and the colours pop when they want to.

*Compared with Halo 4, anyway. Halo 4 is reasonably saturated, but aside from the occasional (typically orange) highlights, it doesn't do much in the way of actually mixing colours into interesting colour schemes.

Snoshado

Banned
Maps were meh but I prefer Reach's art direction tenfold to Halo 4's. That includes the more saturated palette and lack of lens flares.

I like how Reach looks. I'm more into the paler, darker color tones.

Me too. It looks more realistic and is generally a more believable game (as far as atmospheres go) to me.

Rtas

stop supporting halo 4 please. game is awful.

Lol no. I don't see what all the crying is about with Halo 4's multiplayer. I find it perfectly fine, aside from the issues with the Boltshot and the double melee I have literally no problem with it. Its just as fun as all the other Halo games for me.

I keep hearing about balance issues, but heres the thing, if your loadout is unbalanced compared to an enemies, just change it. Bam, you've made your own balance and have no need to cry about it anymore.

Tunavi

Banned
Lol no. I don't see what all the crying is about with Halo 4's multiplayer. I find it perfectly fine, aside from the issues with the Boltshot and the double melee I have literally no problem with it. Its just as fun as all the other Halo games for me.

I keep hearing about balance issues, but heres the thing, if your loadout is unbalanced compared to an enemies, just change it. Bam, you've made your own balance and have no need to cry about it anymore.
Hey everyone! This guy thinks halo 4 is good enough, I guess we can start liking it now

We don't feel like that. We're not plussed that this is the case. No one (I care to listen to) is happy this is the case, we wanted to like it.

So good for you.

Tawpgun

Oh dear

Madness

Why do you have an issue with the boltshot?

Pop

tumblr_lnr5wr4nW41qh6tn6.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami

Preach it brotha

Havok

...this is satire, right?

Reach is too gritty and militaristic for my liking. Would've preferred a direction closer to Halo's 1-3 instead of the muddy look.

Anyone down for some Halo 1 XBC? I'll host some Hog Wars or some shit, whatever. 2v2, FFA, everyone Camo on HEH stickies and beatdowns only.. Something, anything? Halo 1.

The problem with this isn't with Rtas; the problem with this is that it's like 99% of MM. Almost 10 years of Halo being on XBL and MM/Customs are still the same. Crazy.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Reach is too gritty and militaristic for my liking. Would've preferred a direction closer to Halo's 1-3 instead of the muddy look.

Anyone down for some Halo 1 XBC? I'll host some Hog Wars or some shit, whatever. 2v2, FFA, everyone Camo on HEH stickies and beatdowns only.. Something, anything? Halo 1.

The problem with this isn't with Rtas; the problem with this is that it's like 99% of MM. Almost 10 years of Halo being on XBL and MM/Customs are still the same. Crazy.

Is it possible to get Halo CE on the Xbox Marketplace for my 360 and use XBC to connect with people playing on the original Xbox?

I totally agree, not sure why people on here struggle so much tbh, all you need to do is go camo, pull out an AR and crouch corners. If they still somehow manage to kill you just make sure to land a sticky on them before you go down.

There is absolutely no reason why anyone cant do that, so its their own fault if they don't.

Gui_PT

Oh

My

GOD

You saved Halo. You saved it!

Every time I come across another player, I'll go into the menu, change my loadout, commit suicide, find the player again and now there's balance. Yes!

YES!

ac6.gif

HTupolev

I'm not seeing what you call "muddy" anywhere.
Quite a lot of areas in Reach trend toward browns or greys and have a very earthy look, and there's a lot of grittiness on Spartan armour and some human structures and things.

Heck, in some places it's even quite literally muddy.

A lot of people also find that the image quality mucks things up. I see a lot of blame directed at the ghosting caused when the TAA system fails, though I suspect most of ithat is actually just dislike of the motion blur implementation; the game really doesn't ghost as often as people seem to claim it does, because the vast majority of the time the TAA correctly turns off its blending when things are in motion. Hence why the image quality when things are still is insanely good for a 720p game but decreases if you start rotating the camera.

Anyway, combine those two things and you have an arguably "muddy" look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom