• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a lot of areas in Reach trend toward browns or greys and have a very earthy look, and there's a lot of grittiness on things.

Heck, in some places it's even quite literally muddy.

A lot of people also find that the image quality mucks things up. I see a lot of blame directed at the ghosting caused when the TAA system fails, though I suspect most of ithat is actually just dislike of the motion blur implementation; the game really doesn't ghost as often as people seem to claim it does, because the vast majority of the time the TAA correctly turns off its blending when things are in motion. Hence why the image quality when things are still is insanely good for a 720p game but decreases if you start rotating the camera.

Anyway, combine those two things and you have an arguably "muddy" look.

Winter Contingency is pretty "brown" I'll agree, so I can see that as a pattern in certain places. It's definitely "grittier" than past games, which is what they were going for to make it more "moody".

I don't know, man. I guess it just doesn't bother me. I've always liked how it looked, but the framerate issues kinda made it hard to appreciate.

TheOddOne

juIEtex8Jck0d.png

double post 'cause of server error :/

I keep hearing about balance issues, but heres the thing, if your loadout is unbalanced compared to an enemies, just change it. Bam, you've made your own balance and have no need to cry about it anymore.

Yes, in the real world and class-based shooters, you would just change your abilities to match that of your enemy's.

But Halo was built to eliminate that level of Rock Paper Scissors.

lol that's rich

Lol no. I don't see what all the crying is about with Halo 4's multiplayer. I find it perfectly fine, aside from the issues with the Boltshot and the double melee I have literally no problem with it. Its just as fun as all the other Halo games for me.

I keep hearing about balance issues, but heres the thing, if your loadout is unbalanced compared to an enemies, just change it. Bam, you've made your own balance and have no need to cry about it anymore.

And with just one post. Halo was saved.

heckfu

Banned
Lol no. I don't see what all the crying is about with Halo 4's multiplayer. I find it perfectly fine, aside from the issues with the Boltshot and the double melee I have literally no problem with it. Its just as fun as all the other Halo games for me.

i think your opinion is like doo doo!

So... how many of you guys know that you can change your loadouts in the middle of a game?

Like fully edit and change your armor abilities/weapons/perks.

Part of the problem with them versus Reach's preset loadouts IMO. And then you get the guy who betrays you while you're standing in a corner trying to change it...

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's more of a Halo game than Halo 4.*

The answer is yes. Didn't we see this coming...

*Does not necessarily mean it is a better game than Halo 4.

No, it's that too. Halo:Reach is a much better game than Halo 4. I'd say Halo:Reach is the most polished and highest quality Halo game.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok can we just like pretend this page didn't exist?
Balance post, Halo 3 sucks post( DAMMIT Mack don't start that again) and now Reach is the most polished and highest quality Halo game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

You haven't played since February according to the GT in your profile. Stop talking.

No, it's that too. Halo:Reach is a much better game than Halo 4. I'd say Halo:Reach is the most polished and highest quality Halo game.

Reach excelled in several areas and definitely wasn't a total "failure", but I wouldn't really describe it that way. The UI was polished and we definitely had a wealth of customization tools to work with; however, the gameplay itself left much to be desired (just a broad consensus) and there are several areas that were lacking in attention. Namely, playlist management, canon consistency, map design, etc.

I do agree though that Reach got more flak than it deserved, and I was certainly on the giving end for the majority of its lifespan.

I think Halo 3 and Reach MP were close at their peaks. However H3 has aged too hard and I cant go back to it anymore (Much like Halo 2)

RoKKeR

First game:

-Hey, I can choose whether or not I want to pick up the flag! What a fucking novel idea!

-No custom loadouts!

-No perks!

-No default sprint!

-No kill streaks!

-Shield recharge noise!

Of course Reach comes with it's own set of BS, but it's certainly more of a Halo game than Halo 4.

I think Halo 3 and Reach MP were close at their peaks. However H3 has aged too hard and I cant go back to it anymore (Much like Halo 2)

This guy gets it.

I can go back and enjoy Halo 2, CE and even Reach nowadays.

Going back to play Halo 3 today is awful.

I feel the same tbh.

OT: Why doesn't 343 have a DLC playlist for all of the maps?

First game:

-Hey, I can choose whether or not I want to pick up the flag! What a fucking novel idea!

-No custom loadouts!

-No perks!

-No default sprint!

-No kill streaks!

-Shield recharge noise!

Of course Reach comes with it's own set of BS, but it's certainly more of a Halo game than Halo 4.

When I realized I would end up liking Reach more than H4

shame.gif

I'm not seeing what you're calling "muddy" anywhere.

This pretty much. "More real, more gritty world." It's everywhere in this game.

Look at the Spartan models. They're dirty, colors are faded; the art style feels bland and boring:

After Halo 3, the Halo I was expecting/hoping for was not the Reach we received. I would've preferred environments like this:

Over environments like this:

-EDIT-

Is it possible to get Halo CE on the Xbox Marketplace for my 360 and use XBC to connect with people playing on the original Xbox?

Nope. It's like Microsoft/Bungie/343 are saving Halo 1's multiplayer for desparate times when Halo TRULY needs to be saved..

Madness

He didn't respond to my post asking why he hates the boltshot. Because I can almost guarantee the reasons for it, are the reasons a lot of us have for other weapons or the loadout system which he loves.

If he hates the fact people can get a mini-shotgun as a loadout and use it whenever, it shows the loadout system does not work as well as he thinks.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Yeah this was weird. I mean cool stuff that DLC appears more often but only showing 2 different maps in like 10 matches was bothersome.

We really should have played customs for objective

There are far better alternatives to matchmaking gametypes in customs. We totally should have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom